When did 0-0 away become a bad result?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
When did 0-0 away become a bad result?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Have we become so spoilt that our expectations have become unreasonable? When did a goaless draw vs an African football power become a bad result? It's not like we've won anything either, where did this come from?

Senegal lost to Egypt 1-0, I think it's an OK result for Senegal. Would we be upset if we played Egypt and got a draw in Cairo? Morocco in Casablanca or Tunisia in Tunis? The more I review the game in Kumasi the more comfortable I am with the performance knowing adjustments will be made.

Yes. Ghana might score but I'm don't know how they stop the onslaught coming their way tomorrow. They could get lucky but they're not in a better position.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: When did 0-0 away become a bad result?

Post by Odas »

I think the main concern by many is our coaches' choice of players/tactics. Personally, I want to see our 3-5-2 in operation again.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Nothing wrong with a draw, but a scoreless draw in a home/away contest can hurt at the end after calculations. A 1-1 draw in Abuja would knock us out! We have no choice but to win.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Synopsis wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:23 am Nothing wrong with a draw, but a scoreless draw in a home/away contest can hurt at the end after calculations. A 1-1 draw in Abuja would knock us out! We have no choice but to win.

Kai.....reality bites. It'll be a devastating blow if we fail.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Synopsis wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:23 am Nothing wrong with a draw, but a scoreless draw in a home/away contest can hurt at the end after calculations. A 1-1 draw in Abuja would knock us out! We have no choice but to win.
We understand that but a 0-0 draw is still better than a loss. Which one is better: a 0-0 or 3-4 loss? Of course the tie is better. Now we know that a 2-2 is better than 1-1 or 0-0. However, in no circumstance is a loss better than a draw away. That much is simple math.
Last edited by Enugu II on Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

A score draw in Kumasi would have been a lot better than the no-score draw we got. Why?
If Ghana happens to score in Abuja and the game ends in a draw, we are out (away goals carry more weight).
Ghana will be gunning to breach our defense in Abuja and park the bus. Even if we equalized, we will still be out. Ghana's plan B will be to hopefully have the game go to penalties (in the event it ends scoreless like the Kumasi game). Then its luck of the draw and the home team will be doubly tense and error prone.

In the case of a 3-4 loss, the pressure will be on Ghana to prevent Nigeria scoring at home, because all Nigeria would have needed was to score a single goal and they will be through.
The pressure on Nigeria in this tie is HUGE. Nigeria cannot afford to make any mistakes. Zero margins for error. That's why I said the 0-0 draw was a bad result.
Enugu II wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:32 am
We understand that but a 0-0 draw is still better than a loss. Which one is better: a 0-0 or 3-4 loss? Of course the tie is better. Now we know that a 2-2 is better than 1-1 or 0-0. That much is simple math.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro,

No one disputes that. But a 0-0 draw is better than a 7-8 or 98-99 loss, regardless.
Otitokoro wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:53 am A score draw in Kumasi would have been a lot better than the no-score draw we got. Why?
If Ghana happens to score in Abuja and the game ends in a draw, we are out (away goals carry more weight).
Ghana will be gunning to breach our defense in Abuja and park the bus. Even if we equalized, we will still be out. Ghana's plan B will be to hopefully have the game go to penalties (in the event it ends scoreless like the Kumasi game). Then its luck of the draw and the home team will be doubly tense and error prone.

In the case of a 3-4 loss, the pressure will be on Ghana to prevent Nigeria scoring at home, because all Nigeria would have needed was to score a single goal and they will be through.
The pressure on Nigeria in this tie is HUGE. Nigeria cannot afford to make any mistakes. Zero margins for error. That's why I said the 0-0 draw was a bad result.
We understand that but a 0-0 draw is still better than a loss. Which one is better: a 0-0 or 3-4 loss? Of course the tie is better. Now we know that a 2-2 is better than 1-1 or 0-0. That much is simple math.
Last edited by Enugu II on Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

The fact the likes of Rawlings and tfco have not shown their face here to gloat tells you it's a good result for us and a bad one for them. They missed the chance to score and make a mark on this tie at home. Now the ball is in our court. The only reason some SE fans are nervous is because of our recent run of unpredictable results at home.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Orion wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:01 am The fact the likes of Rawlings and tfco have not shown their face here to gloat tells you it's a good result for us and a bad one for them. They missed the chance to score and make a mark on this tie at home. Now the ball is in our court. The only reason some SE fans are nervous is because of our recent run of unpredictable results at home.

Good point. Where is Kraw-krawlings and Thiefco? :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

In general 0-0 away is a good result, especially in African football. This is because home advantage has historically been a major factor. Back in the day if a team like Algeria or Egypt came to your country and got 0-0 everyone pretty much assumes it’s all over because they will find a way to beat you when you travel there. More recently maybe the home advantage hasn’t been as much of a big deal but I would still say 0-0 away is a decent result. The reason we are feeling bad is because we know that with a little more cohesion we could actually have beaten Ghana in Kumasi. Now it’s a question of which team can improve more in the second leg. I think Naija has more room to improve (better pitch, home fans, more potential for players to lift their game to a higher level) versus Ghana who have probably shown most of their potential already.

Up Eagles!!! 🦅
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

1. Ghana is no longer a "powerhouse"
2. That Ghana team was poor.
3. That was their first game under a new coach.
4. Our formation was whack
5. Not ONE of our front 4 got above a 5/10 rating. If you think that is a good sign then think again.
6. Our coach is clueless.
7. Not scoring away could come to haunt us.
8. Out home record of late has been poor.
9. Our coach is looking to Musa as a solution.
10. Did I mention Our coach is clueless ?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:07 am 1. Ghana is no longer a "powerhouse"
2. That Ghana team was poor.
3. That was their first game under a new coach.
4. Our formation was whack
5. Not ONE of our front 4 got above a 5/10 rating. If you think that is a good sign then think again.
6. Our coach is clueless.
7. Not scoring away could come to haunt us.
8. Out home record of late has been poor.
9. Our coach is looking to Musa as a solution.
10. Did I mention Our coach is clueless ?
Canada has qualified for the WC so you'll have a team to support. Qualify or not it's still SE for life here. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Orion wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:01 am The fact the likes of Rawlings and tfco have not shown their face here to gloat tells you it's a good result for us and a bad one for them. They missed the chance to score and make a mark on this tie at home. Now the ball is in our court. The only reason some SE fans are nervous is because of our recent run of unpredictable results at home.
That's the point! Our home record has been worse than our away record in this WCQs
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:04 am Have we become so spoilt that our expectations have become unreasonable? When did a goaless draw vs an African football power become a bad result? It's not like we've won anything either, where did this come from?

Senegal lost to Egypt 1-0, I think it's an OK result for Senegal. Would we be upset if we played Egypt and got a draw in Cairo? Morocco in Casablanca or Tunisia in Tunis? The more I review the game in Kumasi the more comfortable I am with the performance knowing adjustments will be made.

Yes. Ghana might score but I'm don't know how they stop the onslaught coming their way tomorrow. They could get lucky but they're not in a better position.
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 90739.html

That’s an unbiased view of the game….Ghana has a slight advantage with the goalless draw….
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Otitokoro wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:53 am A score draw in Kumasi would have been a lot better than the no-score draw we got. Why?

I fail to see why ppl can’t see this….

Above is an unbiased report pre-match and the journalist has the same view…..it is advantage Ghana
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

That’s the truth and the feeling of doubt needs to exorcised tonight.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Enyi wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:08 am

I fail to see why ppl can’t see this….

Above is an unbiased report pre-match and the journalist has the same view…..it is advantage Ghana
They are not making any point.

For the match at Kumasi, there are basically three outcomes. A WIN, a DRAW and a LOSS.

From Ghana's point, a WIN will be good for them, anything else is not GOOD for them. Remember they are playing at home. However a LOSS will be a disastrous one.

For the SE a WIN will be excellent, a draw is GOOD and loss is BAD. Not disastrous because we are playing at home.

If the first leg was played in Nigeria and we played a goalless draw, I doubt anyone will say it is ADVANTAGE Nigeria. Rather most will say it is FINISHED for the SE.

Yes we still need to win in Abuja BUT there are worst outcomes. We could have LOST in Kumasi
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:28 am
Good point. Where is Kraw-krawlings and Thiefco? :laugh:
They're in hiding at moment. If things go their way, I hope not, they will come back to gloat
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

All I know is that if we had played 0-0 at home going to Kumasi for the decisive match, many wouldn't have been happy in here but hey we move. Here is wishing the boys today the best of luck as they aim to do us proud on the green grass today.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Robbynice wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:39 pm All I know is that if we had played 0-0 at home going to Kumasi for the decisive match, many wouldn't have been happy in here but hey we move. Here is wishing the boys today the best of luck as they aim to do us proud on the green grass today.
Robby how far? I need you to accept my Facebook request of over 6years before I come to ATL and dash you one Lol…I ran into KingFutcha in Chicago back then and he told me your head dey house. If feels got to be back on CE after all this years 😊
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Eaglezbeak wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:10 am
That’s the truth and the feeling of doubt needs to exorcised tonight.
Blame ****. From losing the SA at home and the natives accepting it. To losing a 4-1 lead to mighty Sierra Leone at home to the natives accepting and explaining away a 1-0 loss at home to mighty CAR.

Now, the same natives who explained away losses at home by **** want to transfer it to Eguavoen.

Naijaria will beat Ghana at home because we know exactly how this rivalry goes.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

packerland wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:12 pm
Robbynice wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:39 pm All I know is that if we had played 0-0 at home going to Kumasi for the decisive match, many wouldn't have been happy in here but hey we move. Here is wishing the boys today the best of luck as they aim to do us proud on the green grass today.
Robby how far? I need you to accept my Facebook request of over 6years before I come to ATL and dash you one Lol…I ran into KingFutcha in Chicago back then and he told me your head dey house. If feels got to be back on CE after all this years 😊
Hello baba, longest time. I don't even remember the last time I accepted a Facebook request. I beg tell me again what your handle is so I can go accept it. KingFutcha my guy, I feel like I am still owing him something so I can see why he thinks say my head no dey house...Time to pay up sha... :rotf:

Welcome back to CE baba... :thumbs:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger