It's really criminal!!!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: It's really criminal!!!

Post by Enugu II »

theYemster wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:57 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:21 am
theYemster wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:11 am It's not a problem unique to Nigeria. Happening in the US too.

Unfortunately it's more about popularity and how much revenue you generate than how successful you are. Other than tennis I can't think of any sport in which the popularity of the women's game is comparable to the men's. And even that was largely due to the Williams' sisters and when they were at the peak of their prime.

The gap is closing though now that there's more competition and games are now competitive, and there are much fewer blowout games.
TheYemster,

You think men natioal team in USA generates more revenue than the USA women national soccer team? How so?
I think so, even though the US women's team is very popular. Overall, men's football is still more popular and profitable globally.

It's like in pro basketball, the most successful WNBA team is still not as valuable as the least valuable NBA team. Would you rather own the LA Sparks, or the New Orleans Pelicans; Arsenal Ladies or Southampton?

It's a choice between having a big slice of a small pie, or a small slice of a big pie.
TheYemster

But is the debate about global? We are debating specifically about USA and about the men and women national teams specifically. Stay narrowly on that subject because that is what the case was about.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

theYemster wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:11 am It's not a problem unique to Nigeria. Happening in the US too.

Unfortunately it's more about popularity and how much revenue you generate than how successful you are. Other than tennis I can't think of any sport in which the popularity of the women's game is comparable to the men's. And even that was largely due to the Williams' sisters and when they were at the peak of their prime.

The gap is closing though now that there's more competition and games are now competitive, and there are much fewer blowout games
TheYemster,

You think men natioal team in USA generates more revenue than the USA women national soccer team? How so?
I think so, even though the US women's team is very popular. Overall, men's football is still more popular and profitable globally.

It's like in pro basketball, the most successful WNBA team is still not as valuable as the least valuable NBA team. Would you rather own the LA Sparks, or the New Orleans Pelicans; Arsenal Ladies or Southampton?

It's a choice between having a big slice of a small pie, or a small slice of a big pie
theYemster,

Kai, I like this your example, bro. :clap: :clap: very compelling
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:01 pm

The gap is closing though now that there's more competition and games are now competitive, and there are much fewer blowout games.
TheYemster,

It's a choice between having a big slice of a small pie, or a small slice of a big pie.
TheYemster

But is the debate about global? We are debating specifically about USA and about the men and women national teams specifically. Stay narrowly on that subject because that is what the case was about.
Their global appeal and brand profitability is part of the criteria used to determine fair renumeration which is what the whole issue is about.

I think the women's team might be more popular within the US, but both teams equally fill up stadia in the US so any difference in average match revenue generation might be marginal. Women's team possibly might sell more jerseys but that can also be attributed to the fact the the men's team merchandise sales competes with club teams merchandise sales unlike the women's team that has little competition.

And even if the women's team is more profitable stateside, I believe they don't generate as much as the men's team globally when it comes to tournaments. There are also more men's games, world cup, concacaf cup, confederations Cup, Olympics, etc

It's all about the Men's World Cup though. Nothing matches that, not even the Olympics.

Not saying the women's team shouldn't get a pay increase, the most certainly should, but I don't think it should be the same amount as the men's.

The same issue cropped up in tennis, when women wanted the exact same prize money as the men. I felt the women should get the same prize money but should also be made to play a best of seven match. Women fought for more money but didn't ask to increase their matches from best of five to best of seven.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

theYemster wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:41 pm

TheYemster,

TheYemster

Their global appeal and brand profitability is part of the criteria used to determine fair renumeration which is what the whole issue is about.

I think the women's team might be more popular within the US, but both teams equally fill up stadia in the US so any difference in average match revenue generation might be marginal. Women's team possibly might sell more jerseys but that can also be attributed to the fact the the men's team merchandise sales competes with club teams merchandise sales unlike the women's team that has little competition.

And even if the women's team is more profitable stateside, I believe they don't generate as much as the men's team globally when it comes to tournaments. There are also more men's games, world cup, concacaf cup, confederations Cup, Olympics, etc

It's all about the Men's World Cup though. Nothing matches that, not even the Olympics.

Not saying the women's team shouldn't get a pay increase, the most certainly should, but I don't think it should be the same amount as the men's.

The same issue cropped up in tennis, when women wanted the exact same prize money as the men. I felt the women should get the same prize money but should also be made to play a best of seven match. Women fought for more money but didn't ask to increase their matches from best of five to best of seven.
TheYemster,

The point that I raise here is specific to the USA. The Federation simply used example of what takes place elsewhere to apply to pay in the USA. The women rightfully challenged ut and won. The women team in the USA plays just as many internationals year round and generates roughly same revenue and is far more popular and more accomplished and yet was being shortchanged based on legacy arguments that made little sense. Ultimately the women won that argument.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

theYemster wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:41 pm

TheYemster,

TheYemster

TheYemster,

The point that I raise here is specific to the USA. The Federation simply used example of what takes place elsewhere to apply to pay in the USA. The women rightfully challenged ut and won. The women team in the USA plays just as many internationals year round and generates roughly same revenue and is far more popular and more accomplished and yet was being shortchanged based on legacy claims that made little sense. Ultimately the women won that debate.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:00 pm TheYemster,

The point that I raise here is specific to the USA. The Federation simply used example of what takes place elsewhere to apply to pay in the USA. The women rightfully challenged ut and won. The women team in the USA plays just as many internationals year round and generates roughly same revenue and is far more popular and more accomplished and yet was being shortchanged based on legacy claims that made little sense. Ultimately the women won that debate.
I never said they shouldn't be paid more. My point was regarding equal compensation with the men's team. It's not as simple as saying they accomplished more. The Falcons have accomplished more than the Eagles yet the Eagles' prize money is way more. So I think accomplisment is a secondary criteria to revenue generation.

Yes the US women's team generates as much revenue domestically as the men's team. But outside the US, women's football isn't anywhere near the men's team and that includes the US women's team. And that has to factor in as well.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯