Football is funny.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Football is funny.

Post by Tbite »

The funny thing about sports is we rarely ever talk about the element of destiny.

Even Messi, the apparent GOAT acknowledged it again and again and again in his speeches. It doesn't matter how good you are, doesn't matter how hard you prepare, sports is simply too dynamic to discount the element of destiny.

There are always external factors.... whether we look at the team or the individual.

Take Mbappe. I have watched football long enough to know where the bar is. And a hattrick in a world cup final, in addition to scoring your own penalty, that is WELL and beyond the bar. That is a performance level that is well beyond what should be expected to win a World Cup. To have such a performance and fail to bring home a trophy is just bad luck. Forget about the mechanics of the game and who was the better team, forget about France leaving it late. If you score a hattrick in a World Cup final and come up short, I am sorry but that is just bad luck.

And there will be players on the Argentinian side that are 100 fold LESS deserving of the trophy. It make sports rather funny. What does victory really mean? How can we say that Mbappe is a loser from this standpoint?

This post is not supposed to be the answer to this funny conundrum, nor am I proposing that we stop valuing winners...all I am saying is that there is a big caveat in every victory in sports, and that caveat is simply that the victory does not tell the whole story.

This is not a whinge, I wanted Argentina to win..and I am not even a Mbappe fan really...just pointing out the obvious. Destiny is so important in sports. Argentina did not exactly win this title by a comfortable margin, destiny could easily have robbed Messi of the World Cup. He deserved it, but sports doesn't care what you deserve.

There are threads on CE of me criticising Messi for not winning the World Cup, I was wrong. Whether he won it or not, I think he was deserving of the same respect. Destiny plays too much of a role in sports to be that pedantic.

We have to judge players on the whole then, any focus on individual little details is foolish, because of the unknown elements. Winning the World Cup and even Champions League relies on a massive amount of luck.

There are people laughing at Mbappe today, they are morons. He is more deserving of another World Cup than MOST footballers who have ever won one.

The fact that the greatest player of all time won two titles at the twilight of his career and by slim margins, just goes to show that those who have won titles should value it even more. Performance, ability, they aren't everything. All it takes is one bad ref, one injury, one plane crash (RIP Chipolopolo)...
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Football is funny.

Post by Tbite »

It is also funny that the same Maradona who we said was better than Messi because of a World Cup was perhaps one legitimate call away from not winning it too.....and we think this thing called football is all about ability?

We are too pedantic on the details. Maradona was LUCKY to have won it. Luck plays its role in virtually every title, unless you say to me that the margins were massive.

So don't talk about Didier Drogba never winning AFCON or Ronaldo Nazario never winning a Champions League or Cristiano Ronaldo never winning a World Cup, in the grand scheme of things, that type of talk is largely nonsensical. The margins are too fine for that level of obsession, when the whole is much greater than that.

I say to you with great confidence that with a slight tweak of luck, these chaps did in fact win those titles...and who controls destiny?

I think we understood this reasonably well 20 years ago, it is only very recently that we lost common sense in the stats counting era, where we forget the whole and start obsessing over tiny details that are in reality too fine to be meaningful. The World Cup for example occurs every 4 years, throw in all the other variables of unpredictability, and what do you really have?

There is a reason why almost nobody can ever predict the damn thing, that should tell you something about destiny lol. Croatia a team that I now dislike, but I will give them their due, with a slight tweak of luck, they would have won the World Cup by now. Destiny my friends, destiny. The better you are, the less of a role it plays, but you can never defeat it entirely. You just have to hope and pray it's on your side.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

Tbite wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:27 pm The funny thing about sports is we rarely ever talk about the element of destiny.

Even Messi, the apparent GOAT acknowledged it again and again and again in his speeches. It doesn't matter how good you are, doesn't matter how hard you prepare, sports is simply too dynamic to discount the element of destiny.

There are always external factors.... whether we look at the team or the individual.

Take Mbappe. I have watched football long enough to know where the bar is. And a hattrick in a world cup final, in addition to scoring your own penalty, that is WELL and beyond the bar. That is a performance level that is well beyond what should be expected to win a World Cup. To have such a performance and fail to bring home a trophy is just bad luck. Forget about the mechanics of the game and who was the better team, forget about France leaving it late. If you score a hattrick in a World Cup final and come up short, I am sorry but that is just bad luck.

And there will be players on the Argentinian side that are 100 fold LESS deserving of the trophy. It make sports rather funny. What does victory really mean? How can we say that Mbappe is a loser from this standpoint?

This post is not supposed to be the answer to this funny conundrum, nor am I proposing that we stop valuing winners...all I am saying is that there is a big caveat in every victory in sports, and that caveat is simply that the victory does not tell the whole story.

This is not a whinge, I wanted Argentina to win..and I am not even a Mbappe fan really...just pointing out the obvious. Destiny is so important in sports. Argentina did not exactly win this title by a comfortable margin, destiny could easily have robbed Messi of the World Cup. He deserved it, but sports doesn't care what you deserve.

There are threads on CE of me criticising Messi for not winning the World Cup, I was wrong. Whether he won it or not, I think he was deserving of the same respect. Destiny plays too much of a role in sports to be that pedantic.

We have to judge players on the whole then, any focus on individual little details is foolish, because of the unknown elements. Winning the World Cup and even Champions League relies on a massive amount of luck.

There are people laughing at Mbappe today, they are morons. He is more deserving of another World Cup than MOST footballers who have ever won one.

The fact that the greatest player of all time won two titles at the twilight of his career and by slim margins, just goes to show that those who have won titles should value it even more. Performance, ability, they aren't everything. All it takes is one bad ref, one injury, one plane crash (RIP Chipolopolo)...

Why does everyone say Messi deserves to win the World Cup.
So Mbappe does not deserve it ?
Ronaldo does not deserve it ?
Hakim of Morocco does not deserve it ?
George Wey of Liberia did not deserve it ?

..so does that mean many winners in the past did NOT deserve it

Media Brainwashing really Works
ikemba
Egg
Egg

Post by ikemba »

Tbite wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:27 pm The funny thing about sports is we rarely ever talk about the element of destiny.

How can a true SE fan support Argentina?