Current Super Eagles team better than 2013 AFCON winning team - Kenneth Omeruo

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Current Super Eagles team better than 2013 AFCON winning team - Kenneth Omeruo

Post by Lolly »

True or false?

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Current Super Eagles team better than 2013 AFCON winning team - Kenneth Omeruo

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Lolly wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:07 pm True or false?

i think you do not understand English or have no idea about football..... He never said the current team is better, he said if the current team has heart like the 2013 team, yes they could be better.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Current Super Eagles team better than 2013 AFCON winning team - Kenneth Omeruo

Post by Enugu II »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:13 pm

i think you do not understand English or have no idea about football..... He never said the current team is better, he said if the current team has heart like the 2013 team, yes they could be better.
I see it as ian indictment on this current squad he makes two points:

1. That this team is more talented.
2. This team is most expensive in Africa.
3. This team lacks heart.

That, IMO, is an indictment. It supports points made by several others on SE that a bunch of these players are simply playing like vacationers and are not fully committed to the cause in spite of the 'glorified' resumes that they may have Even the NFF has alluded to this. Here, it shows us that some players in this squad actually believe that. My take, is I want a team that has heart and is full of players willing to die for GWG, even if less talented!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ikemba
Egg
Egg

Post by ikemba »

There is a huge difference. They do not have the late Stephen Keshi as Manager. It is actually managerial difference. Instead of the big boss , we have Peseiro.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:49 pm

That, IMO, is an indictment. It supports points made by several others on SE that a bunch of these players are simply playing like vacationers and are not fully committed to the cause in spite of the 'glorified' resumes that they may have Even the NFF has alluded to this. Here, it shows us that some players in this squad actually believe that. My take, is I want a team that has heart and is full of players willing to die for GWG, even if less talented!
To have that 'heart' b/c the state of the country itself doesn't inspire the required level of patriotism, you almost need a sprinkling of 'hungry' players like Keshi's squad had to push the others and no allow them to rest on their laurels. Those hungry players will be giving the foreign based ones hell all the time to show them up and put fire under them IMO. It will be very hard to get these pro's to give to country what they do for club esp based on the level of professionalism and care they see at their club and then to come to be given sub-standard pitches, housing, care etc, I wouldn't blame them for not going 100%...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Said it a few times. This is actually a very talented bunch
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Duh!

They are being let down by having coaches that are blaaah. That lack the ability to motivate or integrate the team properly.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Sorry but this isn't really a more talented bunch overall.

It is definately better in some aspects

More depth
Better strikers and wingers.

Keshis team had MIKEL, literally the best Nigerian player of all time. Yes I said it.

Enyeama also best Nigerian keeper of all time.

Onazi was a beast in midfield.

Thos current team has a bunch of basket keepers who have almost single handedly cost us the last afcon and wcq.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Omeruo should’ve been retired a long time ago if we had better central defenders.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Would have to highly disagree with that statement. That 2013 team was complete. A combination of speed and power. Our defense and midfield was good. The current team defense and midfield is not on par. Also the current team lacks character going forward. Osimhen maybe comparable with Emenike. But we don't have that doynamic duo with Ideye Brown. Onazi and Mikel Obi and Mba clearly superior to Iwobi, Ndidi and Aribo.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:23 pm Sorry but this isn't really a more talented bunch overall.

More depth

Keshis team had MIKEL, literally the best Nigerian player of all time. Yes I said it.

Thos current team has a bunch of basket keepers who have almost single handedly cost us the last afcon and wcq.
Mikel is not even in the top 10. I even rate Osimhen higher than Mikel.

packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:23 pm Sorry but this isn't really a more talented bunch overall.

More depth

That 2013 team had better midfielders and at one point Emenike’s goal per game ratio was on the same level as Osimhen.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Omeruo is just joking around.

The 2013 also had in form Victor Moses and Vincent Enyeama. The discusion should be in the 1994 team better than the 2013 team?

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

More depth

This is a weird argument you are making since both Mikel and Enyeama played in multiple ANC before and after without coming close to winning…Also, Onazi had zero experience going into that ANC, nobody knew he was a ‘beast’ until Keshi unlocked his hidden character…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Thus team overall has more talent BUT the 2013 Keshi team had more leaders and differences makers. A line up that had prime Mikel, Enyeama, Victor Moses and a fighter like Emenike was always going to dig deep to win tough games.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:52 pm

More depth

This is a weird argument you are making since both Mikel and Enyeama played in multiple ANC before and after without coming close to winning…Also, Onazi had zero experience going into that ANC, nobody knew he was a ‘beast’ until Keshi unlocked his hidden character…
Onazi was somewhat of a conundrum for me, always saw him as a player that lacked finesse and ball playing skills, but he was one tenacious energizer bunny who always ran his socks off...the fact that he fell off so quickly kinda validates the theory that ball winning and hard-tackling type of midfielders never last long in the game, look at Ndidi for example.

Nigeria right now needs more Mikels and less Onazi's and Ndidis
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Let’s not forget that Mikel was pretty regularly accused of lacking leadership qualities, of playing ‘Big Man’ football and on at least one occasion, feigning injury.
His ability was unrivaled, but he was no Uche, Keshi or Chukwu when it came to leadership.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:53 pm Let’s not forget that Mikel was pretty regularly accused of lacking leadership qualities, of playing ‘Big Man’ football and on at least one occasion, feigning injury.
His ability was unrivaled, but he was no Uche, Keshi or Chukwu when it came to leadership.
Keshi got him to play the best he’s ever played for Naija at that particular ANC, there was a hunger and desire in him, he even gave up the AM role for the betterment of the team.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

EII, are you basing this on bigpokeys interpretation of what he said?

He said what the 2003 team had was more heart and more fighting spirit and that if the current team blends and have that fighting spirit they would be unstoppable.

How exactly does this translate to ... "this team lacks heart"?

What he is clearly saying is that this team is far more talented than the 2003 team, but that the team made up for it's lack of talent with more heart and fighting spirit. All these are true statements.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:09 pm
Damunk wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:53 pm Let’s not forget that Mikel was pretty regularly accused of lacking leadership qualities, of playing ‘Big Man’ football and on at least one occasion, feigning injury.
Keshi got him to play the best he’s ever played for Naija at that particular ANC, there was a hunger and desire in him, he even gave up the AM role for the betterment of the team.
Correct. Which is why I didn’t understand why Keshi was playing him as an AM at the confederation cup. I love Mikel but I can’t stand when he plays AM for us or tries to take free kicks. Mourinho killed that part of his game.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

In theory yes. But in practice no.
Though 2013 was more balanced. I would still say 2023 is better. We are performing MASSIVELY below potential.
The NFF and Peseiro are operating like amateurs. The team is 10 times better than its results.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Chief so which players are not fully committed to the cause ?

At the ANC we played the best soccer in the tournament during the first round before a combination of Goalkeeper error and an Iwobi Red Card did us in against Tunisia . For the WCQ we outplayed Ghana both legs before GK error also did us in

On both occasions I saw those boys bawl there eyes out after the Games .. I mean seriously which player doesn't want to lift the ANC trophy or play at the WC ?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

They’re not even close. Individually they’re better but as a team? No way.

Moses alone was better than all wingers combined.
13 MF is a million times better.
13 Defense is better
Osihmen is better than Emenike but he was just as effective.
OCCUPY NFF!!