Egypt-Cameroon game depressed me

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

northAfrican
Egg
Egg
Egypt-Cameroon game depressed me

Post by northAfrican »

I don't know why. I cannot put my finger on it but the game depressed me. I woke up at 6:30 full of anticipation. I wondered: will Cameroon soak pressure and just defent, will the Egyptians come out swinging or resigned. Will it be a shock or a resignation to defeat. You know, all the usual before game head scratching. But there was undeniable thirst to see some soccer. Yearning for goals. For something good and fun to happen early in the day while I sneak away from work. For the tournament to get in a gear higher. Or at least produce another good game. For something to say for the rest of the day.

Now I feel a lump in my throught. I feel queezy and disappointed. There were no goals, no heart, no fight. Just a bunch of little passes in the middle of the field by which Egypt brought the game down from the air into the gutter. And Cameroon reminded me of their Ireland game in 2002 or their Senegal game in the last ANC final. They are willing to sit there on the edge of elimination or defeat and not take the game to the foe. As though nothing could happen. Like they really knew that that ball off the cross bar could not have gone in late in the game and with Eto and Mboma out they could have found it hard to level it. I doubt it. There is nothing worse than finding yourself cheering for a team that sits on the edge of the abyss too often and play cagy rough soccer in the process.

Sorry to be so gloomy and down on a day when nothing important really happened. But there lies the rub: nothing important happened. And the African champion was playing. I am waiting for a true champion that can stamp their superiority on evey game they play. A Brazil-like domination. A clear giant that we, as a contenant, can present to the world and say here: Our champion. Mess with them if you can.

Nigeria is the only country that can give us this kind of champion but they are busy growing up as a soccer nation. I am sorry to say it this way. But I am also happy to wait for them to grow up and stop wasting such a bottomless pool of talent on petty squibbles.

I also don't mean to put Cameroon down but just to say that deep down in my heart I know that they are, in the long run, a top to middling African sporting nation who are having an exceptional decade and enjoying a vacuum in the history of African soccer but that vacuum is filling out fast. They will take turns on this stage with the likes of Morocco and probably South Africa and there is an outside chance that Senegal or Algeria or Egypt or Tunisia could enjoy such spells.

But there is only one Nigeria. One place with the an inexhaustible well spring of talent that will do to the world of soccer what the Kenians did to long distance running. That is how I feel, apart from the morning sickness I developed earlier today and fear that I have drawn you into it. The ANC has its ups and downs for me.
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by original skeepolah »

Really???was it that bad???????????????Hmmm, ok............. :|
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Makanaky
Egg
Egg

Post by Makanaky »

Complete and utter B.S!
Nkono, Kunde, Massing, Tataw, Ebwelle , Pagal,Mbida, Mfede, Mbouh,Makanaky,Kana-Biyik,Oman-Biyik, Ekeke, Milla,.....Too Strong to be Intimidated, Too Stong to be defeated! Indomitable!!!! Marc Viven-Foe R.I.P!!!
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

I did not see the game but the coach clearly did not want to take any risks. Egypt is rated third by Fifa ratings and it is difficult to play when you only need a draw. Had Cameron and Egypt play in QF it would have been a very different game.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

o boy no go jump ooo as u life don hit brick wall so :!:
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

camex wrote:I did not see the game but the coach clearly did not want to take any risks. Egypt is rated third by Fifa ratings and it is difficult to play when you only need a draw. Had Cameron and Egypt play in QF it would have been a very different game.

third where, in africa??????????
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

North African has a point and even Scahaffer admitted that Cameroon only played at 60% of their abilities.

One thing to note tho is that the tactical abilities of African teams have improved drastically over the years. I suspect that Cameroon played defensively because it was the tactic that made most sense. After all, why come out with guns blazing only to be exposed by a counter?
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Makanaky wrote:Complete and utter B.S!
Local Makanaky,
Why di true thing wey di man talk dey vex you now? Because he said that Cameroon is but a middling nation? It is true now. How you just dey vex about di truth now? You guys do not have the population to compete with Nigeria talent-wise should the sleeping giant ever wake up. You guys can dominate for now, but if Nigeria EVER learns to manage its soccer, you guys will become the Uruguay of African soccer to our Brazil.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

60% of their ability abi? I don't buy all that. Changing subject; is it me or are the supposed stars having very ordinary tournaments. Mido, Eto'o and to a lesser extent Okocha.
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

Even if one might not agree with the contents, one cannot miss the heartfelt tone of North African's post.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
Bombastic
Egg
Egg

Post by Bombastic »

what eloquent prose to depict the true state of things in African football!!!
Verbum Sapienti----A word to the wise.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Northafrican,

you are a true soccer fan with deep insight. Keep telling them the truth!

And don't worry, the quality of this competition is about to rise dramatically.

I promise at least three classic matches.

Wha choo looking at?!
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

True words from a truely objective soccer fan.....
realtrouble

Post by realtrouble »

I was more disappointed with Egypt it was their game to win.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

That was a heartfelt post by North Africa. If only Nigeria could rise up and utilize up to 80% of it's talent, we will dominate African football for a very long time. The good news, if there was any is that the passion our footballers used to get when they suit up in the Green-White-Green seems to be returning. If indeed that is true, our glory days are not far off.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
northAfrican
Egg
Egg

Post by northAfrican »

My disappointment with Egypt dates back to their game against Holland in Italia 90. I was ashamed to see the many times African champions celebrate a tie with Holland. I don't mind if we feel inferior but to show it is another matter all together. I don't like it when the African champion, or ex-champion, celebrates a tie, any tie, with any team. I wrote Egypt out of my books that day and they will stay out until they can woo me back. And I am not a one game kind of fan.
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

northAfrican wrote:My disappointment with Egypt dates back to their game against Holland in Italia 90. I was ashamed to see the many times African champions celebrate a tie with Holland. I don't mind if we feel inferior but to show it is another matter all together. I don't like it when the African champion, or ex-champion, celebrates a tie, any tie, with any team. I wrote Egypt out of my books that day and they will stay out until they can woo me back. And I am not a one game kind of fan.

Well said.....e should get that mentality of celebrating when we win, not useless ties as if we have accomplished something. Gone are those days, we need to have that desire to win like brazil, germany,etc..................Not settle for mediocrity!!!!!!!!!
wesley
Egg
Egg

Post by wesley »

:D :lol: :lol: :lol:

una niajas una go wait long time for see cameroon come down .. waiti una no say cameroon no go qualify .. eygpt go beat cameroon etc .. una first beat small Benin first before counting ur chicks before de want born .. we de do waiti we talk (cameroon) .. so .. i de just laugh went i di ya person say cameroon na middle soccer team .. middle soccer team went the beat brazil at all level , no be that same brazil go trash una for Abuja una just get mouth .. na true it need to be a great shame for una for see a small country like cameroon of the population of Ibadan .. de dominate una .. where that una so-called players .. ahgawa good players they de play for better champion ship no be for ukrain .. we(cameroonains) we no they make too much mouth we they show am for field with players all around big clubs which una know better Mancher united , levepool , chelsea , maryoca asenal etc .. no be middle rated clubs like bolton , etc una know the rest .. they get a proverb for cameroon went say " went some one pass u carry he bag " ....
Wie zeggen ik weten hebben geen ongelijk.. dat ik weet niet heeft evenmin ongelijk... maar heeft ongelijk om die zegt die zegt dat hij weet terwijl hij niets weet. atort eveneens aan die die zegt dat hij niet weet terwijl hij alles... weet Kameroen toujour zeer.....
wazobia
Egg
Egg

Post by wazobia »

I really enjoyed reading your post north african and I agree with most of what you said.However this is how Cameroon play,they seem to step up a gear when they feel they need to (sometimes this backfires), this cannot be said of the cameroon team of the 80s and early 90s.Iwas really disappointed with today's match after deciding to go to work late so I coud watch it.
Mbape
Egg
Egg
Re: Egypt-Cameroon game depressed me

Post by Mbape »

northAfrican wrote:I don't know why. I cannot put my finger on it but the game depressed me. I woke up at 6:30 full of anticipation. I wondered: will Cameroon soak pressure and just defent, will the Egyptians come out swinging or resigned. Will it be a shock or a resignation to defeat. You know, all the usual before game head scratching. But there was undeniable thirst to see some soccer. Yearning for goals. For something good and fun to happen early in the day while I sneak away from work. For the tournament to get in a gear higher. Or at least produce another good game. For something to say for the rest of the day.

Now I feel a lump in my throught. I feel queezy and disappointed. There were no goals, no heart, no fight. Just a bunch of little passes in the middle of the field by which Egypt brought the game down from the air into the gutter. And Cameroon reminded me of their Ireland game in 2002 or their Senegal game in the last ANC final. They are willing to sit there on the edge of elimination or defeat and not take the game to the foe. As though nothing could happen. Like they really knew that that ball off the cross bar could not have gone in late in the game and with Eto and Mboma out they could have found it hard to level it. I doubt it. There is nothing worse than finding yourself cheering for a team that sits on the edge of the abyss too often and play cagy rough soccer in the process.

Sorry to be so gloomy and down on a day when nothing important really happened. But there lies the rub: nothing important happened. And the African champion was playing. I am waiting for a true champion that can stamp their superiority on evey game they play. A Brazil-like domination. A clear giant that we, as a contenant, can present to the world and say here: Our champion. Mess with them if you can.

Nigeria is the only country that can give us this kind of champion but they are busy growing up as a soccer nation. I am sorry to say it this way. But I am also happy to wait for them to grow up and stop wasting such a bottomless pool of talent on petty squibbles.

I also don't mean to put Cameroon down but just to say that deep down in my heart I know that they are, in the long run, a top to middling African sporting nation who are having an exceptional decade and enjoying a vacuum in the history of African soccer but that vacuum is filling out fast. They will take turns on this stage with the likes of Morocco and probably South Africa and there is an outside chance that Senegal or Algeria or Egypt or Tunisia could enjoy such spells.

But there is only one Nigeria. One place with the an inexhaustible well spring of talent that will do to the world of soccer what the Kenians did to long distance running. That is how I feel, apart from the morning sickness I developed earlier today and fear that I have drawn you into it. The ANC has its ups and downs for me.
You are one lost soul, dude. Ease up on the drugs
mouko
Egg
Egg

Post by mouko »

Abeg make man hear word.
-Nigeria with 'when we would this', 'when we would that', or 'if we would this', if 'we would that'.
-Plss just do it. You have the population and lagos alone is bigger than cameroon.
-If I were you I would would rather be ashamed of still talking about 'when/if we wake up'. What has been holding you back in inertia?. That after some 40+ yrs of independence/NFA you are still talikng of 'if' and 'when'? Cameroon soccer has had same or worse problems than Naija and they have managed to do what naija can only still dream of.
-Do it meeen, just do it. Talking is one thing doing is quite another. And naija is celebrated for the former.
-If all that population really mattered you should bury your head in the sand for getting your asses kicked so very often by a 15m population nation.
-Even if you win this tourney don't forget that you would still have to win another to match Cameroon.
-I realise that you Naijas are haunted by a sense of failure having been deluded into believing that hollowness called 'Giant'. You can't take it that Cameroon has 'whored' you all along. And you can't wait for them to falter.
-Grow up and do it then we would talk on equal terms.
-Hollow people, hollow nation.
Last edited by mouko on Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
If Sex and Money can't do it, Forget About It.
01.06.1955 Ghana 7-0 Nigeria International @Kwabena
Mbape
Egg
Egg

Post by Mbape »

Its a Goal wrote:That was a heartfelt post by North Africa. If only Nigeria could rise up and utilize up to 80% of it's talent, we will dominate African football for a very long time. The good news, if there was any is that the passion our footballers used to get when they suit up in the Green-White-Green seems to be returning. If indeed that is true, our glory days are not far off.
Well, the story of Nigeria in just about anything you care to name, is unrealized potential...

At some point it would be fair to say the potential was never there..

Hey, but don't let that stop your lips from flapping....
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Papa ohsee, na tru you tok.

See how di Cameroonians come run begin yab the guy. Makanay don say northAfrican tok "Complete and utter BS", Mbape come say "Keep off the drugs", and dis Mouko pitch his own wit "Naija's are haunted with sense of failure...hollow people".

Na wao! Di truth hurt no be small. And all dis from a country dat won two ANC's wit penarity kick. 8)