Afcon 2023 draw date ( Nigeria, CIV, EG, GNB) 10/12/2023

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Afcon 2023 draw date ( Nigeria, CIV, EG, GNB) 10/12/2023

Post by Bigpokey24 »

on bigpokey's birthday :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
12 October 2023
Draw. The draw will be held in Abidjan on 12 October 2023. The 24 teams will be drawn into six groups of four.
The draw will be held in Abidjan on 12 October 2023.[17] The 24 teams will be drawn into six groups of four.

Pot 1 Pot 2 Pot 3 Pot 4
Ivory Coast (hosts)
Morocco
Senegal
Tunisia
Algeria
Egypt

Cameroon
Nigeria
Mali
Burkina Faso
Ghana
South Africa

DR Congo
Cape Verde
Guinea
Zambia
Equatorial Guinea
Mauritania

Guinea-Bissau
Mozambique
Namibia
Angola
Gambia
Tanzania
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Afcon 2023 draw date ( we are in pot 2)

Post by Bigpokey24 »

my dream group for our SE

Senegal, Nigeria, Zambia, Angola
SuperEagles

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:13 pm my dream group for our SE

It is possible that you will get your wish. It will be statistically dubbed the Group of Death but Nigeria asnd Senegal would be favored to get out the group nonetheless.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:40 pm

It is possible that you will get your wish. It will be statistically dubbed the Group of Death but Nigeria asnd Senegal would be favored to get out the group nonetheless.
3 teams could actually get out
SuperEagles

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:44 pm
Enugu II wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:40 pm

3 teams could actually get out
Yep. Like in the last AFCON. Lets hope Nigeria's Group will not be dog-eat-dog with lots of draws and a point that leads to nowhere. In a group you need atleast one solid win with 3 points and a draw to have strong hope of getting out as a third-placed team.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Morroco, Nigeria, South Africa, Guinea-Bissau could be a potential group of death. I'm hoping for a group more like this: Egypt, Nigeria, Mauritania, and Namibia
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Tunisia
Nigeria
Mauritania
Namibia

I will pray and hope for this group!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Chai.
So we slipped into Pot2 to make way for the host nation Cote D’Ivoire.
Otherwise na Pot 1 we for dey.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

I want a North African team, preferably Morocco, in our group. Chances of that are high. Time to test how good we really are.

Wha choo looking at?!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:29 am Chai.
So we slipped into Pot2 to make way for the host nation Cote D’Ivoire.
Otherwise na Pot 1 we for dey.
Na soooo! In any case, Pot 1 and 2 reams na same thing almost. Teams for Pot 1 will not find it easy against Pot 2 teams.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Six stadiums in five cities will be used:

Alassane Ouattara Stadium, Abidjan (capacity 60,000)
Felix Houphouet Boigny Stadium, Abidjan (capacity 33,000)
Stade de la Paix, Bouake (capacity 40,000)
Amadou Gon Coulibaly Stadium, Korhogo (capacity 20,000)
Laurent Pokou Stadium, San Pedro (capacity 20,000)
Charles Konan Banny Stadium, Yamoussoukro (capacity 20,000)
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

When could Premier League stars be away?
Here's a guide to the approximate matchdays and cup dates that players could miss, depending on how far their country goes at Afcon, subject to scheduling changes and cup runs.

Winter break: 15-28 January
Potential final club match: Weekend of January 6/7 (FA Cup third round)
Minimum number of matches missed: One (Premier League)
Maximum number of matches missed: Eight (four Premier League, FA Cup fourth round, Carabao Cup semi-final first and second legs, Champions League last 16 first leg)
Possible return date: 27 January (group stage exit), 4 February (last 16), 11 February (quarter-finals), 18 February (semi-finals or final)
What about Saudi Arabia and other leagues?
Here's a guide to approximate dates in Saudi Arabia and the major European leagues.

Saudi Pro League
Winter break: 29 December - 14 February
Potential final club match: 28 December (Pro League)
Minimum number of matches missed: None
Maximum number of matches missed: Three (Saudi Super Cup semi-finals and final, Asian Champions League last 16 first leg). Due to the winter break, players will not miss any Pro League matches
Possible return date: Saudi Super Cup games in January (group stage exit), 17 February (knockout stage exit)
Spanish La Liga
Winter break: 22 December - 1 January
Potential final club match: Weekend of 6/7 January (Copa del Rey round of 32)
Minimum number of matches missed: Two (La Liga)
Maximum number of matches missed: Eleven (five La Liga, Copa del Rey last 16, quarter-final, semi-final first leg, Supercopa de Espana semi-final and final, Champions League last 16 first leg)
Possible return date: 27 January (group stage exit), 4 February (last 16), 7 February (quarter-finals), 17 February (semi-finals or final)
Italian Serie A
Winter break: None
Potential final club match: Weekend of 6/7 January (Serie A)
Minimum number of matches missed: Two (Serie A)
Maximum number of matches missed: Eleven (Six Serie A, Supercoppa Italiana semi-finals and final, Coppa Italia last 16 and quarter-finals, Champions League last 16 first leg)
Possible return date: 27 January (group stage exit), 4 February (last 16), 7 February (quarter-finals), 17 February (semi-finals or final)
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

French Ligue 1
Winter break: 21 December - 13 January
Potential final club match: Weekend of 6/7 January (Coupe de France last 32)
Minimum number of matches missed: Two (Ligue 1)
Maximum number of matches missed: Eight (Five Ligue 1, Coupe de France last 32 and last 16, Champions League last 16 first leg)
Possible return date: 27 January (group stage exit), 4 February (last 16), 7 February (quarter-finals), 16 February (semi-finals or final)
German Bundesliga
Winter break: 18 December - 11 January
Potential final club match: Weekend of 16/17 December (Bundesliga)
Minimum number of matches missed: Two (Bundesliga)
Maximum number of matches missed: Seven (Five Bundesliga, DFB-Pokal quarter-finals, Champions League last 16 first leg)
Possible return date: 27 January (group stage exit), 4 February (last 16), 7 February (quarter-finals), 16 February (semi-finals or final)
SuperEagles

packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

We could’ve been on 5-6 AFCON titles if not for Abacha’s beef and Isa Hayatou’s wuru wuru.

We need to start wining some dang AFCON titles. I’m sure Egypt will trade 1 or 2 titles for a WC appearance. Likewise I’ll trade our 2002 or 2010 WC appearance for an AFCON title.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

packerland wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:50 pm We could’ve been on 5-6 AFCON titles if not for Abacha’s beef and Isa Hayatou’s wuru wuru.

We need to start wining some dang AFCON titles. I’m sure Egypt will trade 1 or 2 titles for a WC appearance. Likewise I’ll trade our 2002 or 2010 WC appearance for an AFCON title.
When we start taking deserving players as opposed to deadweights like Ahmed Musa then we will start winning AFCONs.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

bret- hart wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:41 am
packerland wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:50 pm We could’ve been on 5-6 AFCON titles if not for Abacha’s beef and Isa Hayatou’s wuru wuru.

When we start taking deserving players as opposed to deadweights like Ahmed Musa then we will start winning AFCONs.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Most Nigerians like the thing that you responded to love to have things served to them without hard work and honesty. :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
aykwes8
Egg
Egg

Post by aykwes8 »

You guys really could have won Burkina Faso 98. I don’t know about the rest you missed in the 90s or later
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

aykwes8 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:57 am

You guys really could have won Burkina Faso 98. I don’t know about the rest you missed in the 90s or later
96 and 98.. Naija ended with the gold in Atlanta. Back in the mid to late 90s, the SE was the team to beat. Naija has underperformed in AFCON. Lost 3 finals to Cameroon. 2 in the 80s and the 00 wuruwuru.. 7 finals , 4 losses
SuperEagles

packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

We would’ve wrecked South Africa on their home soil unless CAF found a way to rig the game for them. We had the better and experienced team and we owned them record-wise. It won’t have been easy since they had the whole Nelson Mandela thing going on. A year before that AFCON, I believe SA won the Rugby World Cup at home.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

bret- hart wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:41 am

...and who is a "deserving players"? 'paid' players? players who can bribe?

Beauty they say is in the eyes of the beholder.
aykwes8
Egg
Egg

Post by aykwes8 »

packerland wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:18 am

We would’ve wrecked South Africa on their home soil unless CAF found a way to rig the game for them. We had the better and experienced team and we owned them record-wise. It won’t have been easy since they had the whole Nelson Mandela thing going on. A year before that AFCON, I believe SA won the Rugby World Cup at home.
I don’t think Nigeria could’ve beaten Ghana at CAN 96 had we met. South Africa did beat us in the semi finals but under very strange circumstances. They robbed us. We scored 2 clean goals and both were disallowed. I think that tournament was cooked for them to celebrate Mandela and their return to continental football. Black Star of South Africa 96 was very strong and played some of the best football they’ve ever played. However, 98 I’ll give it to you. That was a real peaked Super Eagles team. Very strong
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

aykwes8 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:10 pm
packerland wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:18 am

I don’t think Nigeria could’ve beaten Ghana at CAN 96 had we met. South Africa did beat us in the semi finals but under very strange circumstances. They robbed us. We scored 2 clean goals and both were disallowed. I think that tournament was cooked for them to celebrate Mandela and their return to continental football. Black Star of South Africa 96 was very strong and played some of the best football they’ve ever played. However, 98 I’ll give it to you. That was a real peaked Super Eagles team. Very strong
Not going to lie that Ghana team in 96 was fire. The way the brushed aside all comers prior to the South Africa game was something else. I agree the ref cheated Ghana in that game and it made me hate South Africa so much in the 90s and 2000s. It was like CAF gave them that cup because of Mandela and apartied. I still feel they were not good enough to be African champions. That being said i think Nigeria would have beaten Ghana had we played vs each other. We were more experienced and was a complete team from goalkeeper to attack unlike in 92. We had the 94 squad plus young players like Kanu, Ikepba, Taribo, Babangida etc coming up. It would have been a blood bath but i see Nigeria winning at the end of the day.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.