Peseiro names 25 man 2023 AFCON squad

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Peseiro Names AFCON 25 but NFF Wants 27

Post by 1naija »

Moderators should combine the 2 threads so we can have one discussion
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Peseiro names 25 man 2023 AFCON squad

Post by bret- hart »

Can't wait to get rid of Piss-ero. What a trash squad. Dude could have taken 2 extra mids to make it a 27 man list but no the moron does not believe in having a midfield
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

The NFF are amateur,no Gift Orban or Moffi but Musa who hardly plays or doesn’t even make the bench at his club is a passenger once again!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:36 pm
Ugbowo wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:03 pm My main issue with the list.....

Moffi over Sadiq then maybe Tella over Musa.

The goalkeepers and the midfield are a bit meh....but it's whats to be expected.

I am really shocked about Moffi.
Ugbowo,

I think you are spot on regarding Moffi. His exclusion is a major surprise. I thought it was going to be between him and Sadiq for the spot that would have automatically gone to Awoniyi. In my view, Moffi had the edge over Sadiq going in, given Sadiq's long lay off. Thus, it is a major surprise.

As for Tella, I just do not agree with you. He certainly does not deserve getting on the squad at the moment. We could argue on Musa but even then, a better sub would not be Tella at this time. For me, Musa got in as a valedictory tournament pick, nothing more.
Part one of your dream on track!😁
I am happy
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Decent list. Taking Musa is equivalent to going with 24 players. Makes no sense not to take 27 players. This team needs could do with 2 more midfielders or 1 more midfielder and 1 more winger.

Moffi may fit better than Sadiq if you are playing with 2 CFs. Would have liked to see Fisayo Dele-Bashiru and/or Nwakali, and would have dropped Musa for another winger (Tella, Onyekuru, or Marcus Abraham).
Last edited by olu on Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The goalkeepers and the midfield are a bit meh....but it's whats to be expected.

Ugbowo,

I think you are spot on regarding Moffi. His exclusion is a major surprise. I thought it was going to be between him and Sadiq for the spot that would have automatically gone to Awoniyi. In my view, Moffi had the edge over Sadiq going in, given Sadiq's long lay off. Thus, it is a major surprise.

As for Tella, I just do not agree with you. He certainly does not deserve getting on the squad at the moment. We could argue on Musa but even then, a better sub would not be Tella at this time. For me, Musa got in as a valedictory tournament pick, nothing more.

Moffi's exclusion could be injury related, having just returned from a hamstring strain.

I could be wrong, but I suspect his competition in that hybrid CF/SS role was Kele rather than Sadiq.

The list is pretty much as expected, Musa's inclusion being what it is...

My main disappointment is that it breaks no new ground wrt new talent...

But the real issue remains HOW WE PLAY and how the players are used...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

imehjunior wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:14 pm

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
OCCUPY NFF!!
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

1naija wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:30 pm How is Moffi's omission a surprise? He has not been exceptional for the Super Eagles like he has been for his club. For me Sadiq and Moffi are 10 -15 minutes end of game sub players, and therefore do not matter which of them is selected.
Enugu II wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:24 pm
anointed wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:07 pm What are the rationales for Francis Uzoho and Ahmed Musa being on this team?
Anointed,

IMHO, there are few surprises with this selection given the manager's invitations. Uzoho was always going to make the team and BTW he will be the starter for at least the first game Take that to the bank given how Managers often operate. However, the invitation of Nwabili is a clear message that Uzoho is on a short leash and i believe Uzoho knows that.

As for Ebuehi, he had very little chance to make this team and he has not shown that he belongs to a squad making it to the AFCON. Certainly not with his SE performances.

Given how players have been used, the real surprise is Moffi not making it and instead Sadiq taking his place. That is surely a surprise.

On Musa, all of us know that this is a huge surprise and this might just be a valedictory gift and agreement with Musa. That is just my thought.
Unku,

You think the last 10-15 mins in a game doesn’t matter? When was the last time we won comfortably besides our games against Sao Taome?
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:55 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:44 pm Musa is a typical story of "monkey dey work baboon dey chop", this piece of sh*t played absolutely no role in the AFCON qualifiers yet easily made the final team on the basis of quota system...man, Nigeria is truly a sorry state, I actually detest Musa but I'll hold myself from saying what i want to say.
The statement highlighted in red is absolutely false. Musa played in three qualifiers for this AFCON. Besides, he is the captain of the squad. While, I do not think that on the basis of his play that he belongs in the best 25, I fully understand that this is as valedictory tournament for someone who had dedicated service to his country.
We are not a serious country. We carried him at the last AFCON as a dedication to his services. All the other players are serving their country too. How do we know he is not eyeing the next AFCON? If the coach wanted to carry a deadweight the he should’ve made his list 26 or 27.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

GKS: Francis Uzoho (23)34 (Omonia FC, CYP), Olorunleke Ojo0 (Enyimba), Stanley Nwabili1 (Chippa Utd, S/AFRICA). DEFS: Ola Aina (2)34 (Nott. Forest, ENG), Chiedozie Awaziem (20)30 (Boavista, PORT), Bright Osayi-Samuel (2)7 (Fenerbahce, TUR), William Troost-Ekong65 (PAOK Salonika, GRE), Bruno Onyemaechi (21)4 (Boavista, PORT), Kenneth Omeruo (22)62 (Kasimpassa, TUR), Semi Ajayi (6)28 (WBA, ENG), Calvin Bassey (17)16 (Fulham, ENG), Zaidu Sanusi (3)16 (FC Porto, PORT). MDFLDS: Wilfred Ndidi (4)54 (Leicester, ENG), Frank Onyeka (8)16 (Brentford, ENG), Raphael Onyedika (18)5 (Club Brugge, BEL), Joseph Aribo (10)28 (Southampton, ENG), Alex Iwobi (18) 68 (Fulham, ENG). FWDS/WMDFS: Ahmed Musa (7)108 (Sivasspor, TUR), Victor Osimhen (9)27 (Napoli, ITAL), Kelechi Iheanacho (14)51 (Leicester, ENG), Umar Sadiq (19) 10 (Real Sociedad, SPA), Moses Simon (15)63 (Nantes, FRA), Ademola Lookman (7)12 (Atalanta, ITAL), Samuel Chukwueze (11)30 (AC Milan, ITAL), Victor Boniface (13)5 (Bayer Leverkusen, GER).

I have included likely shirt numbers (not definitive) as well as their match experience for the NT (right after their shirt number in RED). This is an experienced NT squad with the exception of the goalkeepers.
Last edited by Enugu II on Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

txj wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:27 pm

Ugbowo,

Moffi's exclusion could be injury related, having just returned from a hamstring strain.

I could be wrong, but I suspect his competition in that hybrid CF/SS role was Kele rather than Sadiq.

The list is pretty much as expected, Musa's inclusion being what it is...

My main disappointment is that it breaks no new ground wrt new talent...

But the real issue remains HOW WE PLAY and how the players are used...
The guy came back from injury and scored two goals. He’s fine. We’ve carried guys with major knee injuries to bigger tournaments multiple times in the past.
trae_z
Egg
Egg

Post by trae_z »

Players who will feel bad are:
1) Terem Moffi (Ahmed Musa stole his place. Reason = Federal Character. A fit Taiwo Awoniyi might have lost to Sadiq Umar too 4 same reason)
2) Jamilu Collins (No P. Zaidu Sanusi is worth it)
3) Adebayo Adeleye [Goal Keeper] (Im indifferent on this)
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

anointed wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:07 pm What are the rationales for Francis Uzoho and Ahmed Musa being on this team?
Anointed,

IMHO, there are few surprises with this selection given the manager's invitations. Uzoho was always going to make the team and BTW he will be the starter for at least the first game Take that to the bank given how Managers often operate. However, the invitation of Nwabili is a clear message that Uzoho is on a short leash and i believe Uzoho knows that.

As for Ebuehi, he had very little chance to make this team and he has not shown that he belongs to a squad making it to the AFCON. Certainly not with his SE performances.

Given how players have been used, the real surprise is Moffi not making it and instead Sadiq taking his place. That is surely a surprise.

On Musa, all of us know that this is a huge surprise and this might just be a valedictory gift and agreement with Musa. That is just my thought.
Ebuehi is not that different from Lookman and some of our other players. Guys that ball for their clubs but are average when playing for the SE. The guy has received very little opportunities since he switched. we need to play Ebuehi in 5-6 straight games as a starter or sub with reasonable minutes and if he doesn’t perform then we can stop inviting him.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

packerland wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:54 pm
Anointed,

Ebuehi is not that different from Lookman and some of our other players. Guys that ball for their clubs but are average when playing for the SE. The guy has received very little opportunities since he switched. we need to play Ebuehi in 5-6 straight games as a starter or sub with reasonable minutes and if he doesn’t perform then we can stop inviting him.
Bros,

As you correctly mentioned --- this is about performance at the NT level and not club. Ebuehi has received far more opportunities than numerous others. He has played 12 times for Nigeria. That is a more games compared to many others. This includes being part of the squad to the 2018 World Cup proper. If he received very little opportunities, how many games should he have played?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

I hope he can still take 27 players, so he can add Alhassan and Nwakali. Our midfield is light once again.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

No creativity in the midfield ….. rubbish squad rubbish selection.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:03 pm
packerland wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:54 pm
Anointed,

Bros,

As you correctly mentioned --- this is about performance at the NT level and not club. Ebuehi has received far more opportunities than numerous others. He has played 12 times for Nigeria. That is a more games compared to many others. This includes being part of the squad to the 2018 World Cup proper. If he received very little opportunities, how many games should he have played?
And unfortunately for him, Bright Osayi-Samuel has come in and taken advantage of his opportunities. That is how it works. There is always that player ready to take your place if you dull.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Tobi17 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:44 pm Musa is a typical story of "monkey dey work baboon dey chop", this piece of sh*t played absolutely no role in the AFCON qualifiers yet easily made the final team on the basis of quota system...man, Nigeria is truly a sorry state, I actually detest Musa but I'll hold myself from saying what i want to say.
Don’t give yourself hypertension over Musa. He’s going to Afcon to watch the games live and show leadership to the guys. :laugh: You just need to make sure you pay for games you watch and support the boys. :taunt: :taunt: .

Stop 1niajaring and put up some $ for the boys. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Phew! Was afraid I'll see the Div 2 Collins instead of Sanusi or Onyemaechi.

As for Musa and the Div 2 players - Aribo, Kelechi and Ndidi. I think anyone who expected different was in dream land. What we must do now is to hope that the poor tactics from the coach -- which is the bigger problem - doesnt stunt the ability of our team.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Uncle, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this what they call having way too much time on your hands? What da...
Enugu II wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:43 pm GKS: Francis Uzoho (23)34 (Omonia FC, CYP), Olorunleke Ojo0 (Enyimba), Stanley Nwabili1 (Chippa Utd, S/AFRICA). DEFS: Ola Aina (2)34 (Nott. Forest, ENG), Chiedozie Awaziem (20)30 (Boavista, PORT), Bright Osayi-Samuel (2)7 (Fenerbahce, TUR), William Troost-Ekong65 (PAOK Salonika, GRE), Bruno Onyemaechi (21)4 (Boavista, PORT), Kenneth Omeruo (22)62 (Kasimpassa, TUR), Semi Ajayi (6)28 (WBA, ENG), Calvin Bassey (17)16 (Fulham, ENG), Zaidu Sanusi (3)16 (FC Porto, PORT). MDFLDS: Wilfred Ndidi (4)54 (Leicester, ENG), Frank Onyeka (8)16 (Brentford, ENG), Raphael Onyedika (18)5 (Club Brugge, BEL), Joseph Aribo (10)28 (Southampton, ENG), Alex Iwobi (18) 68 (Fulham, ENG). FWDS/WMDFS: Ahmed Musa (7)108 (Sivasspor, TUR), Victor Osimhen (9)27 (Napoli, ITAL), Kelechi Iheanacho (14)51 (Leicester, ENG), Umar Sadiq (19) 10 (Real Sociedad, SPA), Moses Simon (15)63 (Nantes, FRA), Ademola Lookman (7)12 (Atalanta, ITAL), Samuel Chukwueze (11)30 (AC Milan, ITAL), Victor Boniface (13)5 (Bayer Leverkusen, GER).

I have included likely shirt numbers (not definitive) as well as their match experience for the NT (right after their shirt number in RED). This is an experienced NT squad with the exception of the goalkeepers.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:21 pm Uncle, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this what they call having way too much time on your hands? What da...
Enugu II wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:43 pm GKS: Francis Uzoho (23)34 (Omonia FC, CYP), Olorunleke Ojo0 (Enyimba), Stanley Nwabili1 (Chippa Utd, S/AFRICA). DEFS: Ola Aina (2)34 (Nott. Forest, ENG), Chiedozie Awaziem (20)30 (Boavista, PORT), Bright Osayi-Samuel (2)7 (Fenerbahce, TUR), William Troost-Ekong65 (PAOK Salonika, GRE), Bruno Onyemaechi (21)4 (Boavista, PORT), Kenneth Omeruo (22)62 (Kasimpassa, TUR), Semi Ajayi (6)28 (WBA, ENG), Calvin Bassey (17)16 (Fulham, ENG), Zaidu Sanusi (3)16 (FC Porto, PORT). MDFLDS: Wilfred Ndidi (4)54 (Leicester, ENG), Frank Onyeka (8)16 (Brentford, ENG), Raphael Onyedika (18)5 (Club Brugge, BEL), Joseph Aribo (10)28 (Southampton, ENG), Alex Iwobi (18) 68 (Fulham, ENG). FWDS/WMDFS: Ahmed Musa (7)108 (Sivasspor, TUR), Victor Osimhen (9)27 (Napoli, ITAL), Kelechi Iheanacho (14)51 (Leicester, ENG), Umar Sadiq (19) 10 (Real Sociedad, SPA), Moses Simon (15)63 (Nantes, FRA), Ademola Lookman (7)12 (Atalanta, ITAL), Samuel Chukwueze (11)30 (AC Milan, ITAL), Victor Boniface (13)5 (Bayer Leverkusen, GER).

Only if you do not know how to use a database system. I believe the NFF should have upgraded to a database system instead of following 1naija's lead, not so?
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

We can assemble the best 25-squad in the world all we want. That is not the issue. I worry about the tactics. Are we expecting Ajayi to bail us out again? I personally think the coach is going with the devils he knows.
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Abbey wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:32 pm We can assemble the best 25-squad in the world all we want. That is not the issue. I worry about the tactics. Are we expecting Ajayi to bail us out again? I personally think the coach is going with the devils he knows.
KPOM