This Afcon feels like 2013

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
This Afcon feels like 2013

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Let me explain. :laugh:

1, The coach is going to Afcon wounded.
2, Expectations are low.
3, Team is yet to carve out an identity.
4, We still owe bonuses for last Afcon.
5, Starting 11 is still unknown but some major positions are settled.

Can we repeat? Conventional wisdom says no but the scariest eagle is a wounded eagle. SE can fly again!
OCCUPY NFF!!
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: This Afcon feels like 2013

Post by ANC »

:lol:
...whatever eases your anxiety, I am all for it.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

And you are still JB-less.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:20 am Let me explain. :laugh:

2, Expectations are low.

Can we repeat? Conventional wisdom says no but the scariest eagle is a wounded eagle. SE can fly again!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

2, Expectations are low.

Nah bro. This AFCON feels like the last one.

1. The coaching position is a hot topic
2. Expectations were low before we won all oue group games
3. That team didn’t have an identity. We were still recruiting the likes of lookman, bassey & begging Denis to be a part of the team.
4. We still owe bonuses
5. Our Gks are still akpere
6. WCQ is around the corner and most people are saying that’s the bigger fish.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

packerland wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:51 am

2, Expectations are low.

3. That team didn’t have an identity. We were still recruiting the likes of lookman, bassey & begging Denis to be a part of the team.
4. We still owe bonuses

Remember, in 2013 we had Vince, Mikel , Emenike,Musa, Onazi and Vic Mo as our proven players. This yr we have Osihmen, Iwobi, Simon, Ndidi and Omeruo as the most proven players. In 13, we didn’t know the Oboabona-Omeruo partnership would pan out but we had Vic Mo who created chances. In 13 Mba, Ideye, Oboabona and Omeruo gave the spine much needed reinforcements beyond what we expected. Who will be the new MBA, Oboabona and Ideye? The key to that requires new players.
Last edited by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA on Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCCUPY NFF!!
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:17 am
packerland wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:51 am

2, Expectations are low.

4. We still owe bonuses

Remember, in 2013 we had Vince, Mikel , Emenike,Musa, Onazi and Vic Mo as our proven players. This yr we have Osihmen, Iwobi, Simon, Ndidi and Omeruo as the most proven players. In 13, we didn’t know have the Oboabona-Omeruo partnership would pan out but we had Vic Mo who created chances. In 13 Mba, Ideye, Oboabona and Omeruo gave the spine much needed reinforcements beyond what we expected. Who will be the new MBA, Oboabona and Ideye? The key to that requires new players.
4/5 players you listed in this year’s team were also present at the last AFCON. Osimhen was injured at the last AFCON.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

2, Expectations are low.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: this is so funny, your eye will open very soon. Some of una still fail to see the light . 2013 ko 2013 ni
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

2, Expectations are low.

I’m not so sure. In 2013, I had us as slight pre-tournament favourites. Most people had CIV, but apart from them it looked like a weak field and as I expected, we got the job done.

We also had a all-time great marshalling our midfield.

This time, I’m worried there are too many strong teams for us to sneak through. Personally, I don’t see us winning it, but I’m hopefully enough that I’ve bought my tickets and booked my flight. Abijan, here I come!
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

I will be shocked if we get out of the group!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

2, Expectations are low.

I kinda agree with you. In adversity, wounded eagles have the capacity to turn the impossible into reality.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Undertaker wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:01 pm I will be shocked if we get out of the group!
Bros, you realize that 3 out of 4 teams will get out of a group. This will occur in 4 out of the 6 groups by design.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:32 pm
Undertaker wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:01 pm I will be shocked if we get out of the group!
Bros, you realize that 3 out of 4 teams will get out of a group. This will occur in 4 out of the 6 groups by design.
Ok, if we get lucky and get out of the group, we will be bounced in the round of 16! That is my prediction btw not what I wanted. I love Nigeria no be small!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

I told you so. It does feel like 2013.
[media] [/media]
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

2013 squad was no where close to the level of talent as this current team, while both teams share the same conundrum of low expectations, it can be argued the bigger issue with this current team is moreso about the coach and few players who shouldn't be on this team than the overall talent level of the squad.
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

What a stupid statement is this?
I don’t see anything similar to 2013.

We don’t have a team, Peseiro’s 4-4-2 formation is a failure.
It also depends also from the other teams, and this year there are better squads, especially Morocco which is far superior to any other.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Undertaker wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:09 pm
Ok, if we get lucky and get out of the group, we will be bounced in the round of 16! That is my prediction btw not what I wanted. I love Nigeria no be small!
As long as we don't have any NFF chairpersons or the likes coming into changing rooms to promise money to the players when they score
I personally feel the changing rooms should be restricted to the team , coaches, physio and other conditioning professionals ONLY
I really feel that the distraction of the NFF chairman and other "officials" derailed us after we beat Egypt and topped the group, only to fall to Tunisia in the next round. I think we will make the round of 16 but a lot hinges on focus and as someone mentioned, coaching, there is no excuses
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

akamoke wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:44 pm
Undertaker wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:09 pm
As long as we don't have any NFF chairpersons or the likes coming into changing rooms to promise money to the players when they score
I personally feel the changing rooms should be restricted to the team , coaches, physio and other conditioning professionals ONLY
I really feel that the distraction of the NFF chairman and other "officials" derailed us after we beat Egypt and topped the group, only to fall to Tunisia in the next round. I think we will make the round of 16 but a lot hinges on focus and as someone mentioned, coaching, there is no excuses
Akamoke

It is true that officials coming into the dressing room at the interval can be distracting. However, that cannot be the significant reason for that elimination. Was it more significant than having to play a man down for more than 50 minutes of the game?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Do you think we can win AFCON playing like this?

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Hmmm we can't win it. Uzoho is about the worst number 1 Nigeria has ever had. To win the Afcon you need your goalie to be near the top and he is awful.

It took a while but I have finally come around to those that say Peseiro is crap. He is a stooge and yes man.

I am hoping we can play some good attacking football and make the quarterfinals
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

2, Expectations are low.

I hope we make it count in Ivory Coast.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

2, Expectations are low.

I hope we make it count in Ivory Coast.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
seyiblack
Egg
Egg

Post by seyiblack »

In 2013, we had Vincent Enyeama who won the GK of the tournament. This time around, we have Uzoho. That is the only reason why I would discount this assessment. You need a solid defensive line (which we might have) and a sold GK (which we definitely are lacking if we are depending on Uzoho) to win the whole thing.
Support our boys regardless of coach, ethnicity of players and pure jealousy.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:35 am 2013 squad was no where close to the level of talent as this current team, while both teams share the same conundrum of low expectations, it can be argued the bigger issue with this current team is moreso about the coach and few players who shouldn't be on this team than the overall talent level of the squad.
I do not agree.

2024 team definately is a better all round squad, but there are key players in the 2013 starting lineup that IMO would make the 2013 starting 11 better than the 2024 starting 11.

Enyeama over Uzoho alone is enough to make the 2013 team better. I honestly mean that.

Mikel and Onazi are better than our midfield.

Honestly a combined 2013 and 2024 team will look like this

GK: Enyeama
RB: Osay Samuel
CB: Omeruo- 2013 edition
CB: Oboabona/Bassey
LB: Aina
DM: Onazi
CM: Mikel
AM: Iwobi
ST: Osimehn
LW: Victor Moses
RW: Lookman

The only 50/50 call is whether I take Bassey or Oboabona. Bassey is obviously more high profile, but I haven't seen him as confident and solid for SE as Oboabona played in 2013.

So 6 of 11 players in the starting lineup are from Keshi's 2013 team.

Now almost the entire bench would be players from 2024.