Why do our players fail to play square balls ?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Why do our players fail to play square balls ?

Post by vancity eagle »

Must they always shoot from impossible angles ?

I am seeing some other teams who have players of similar or worse caliber, PLAY FOR THE TEAM, and play square balls for their team mates to tapin and score.

Yet our guys play low IQ football and must always shoot.

Main culprits are Moses Simon and Victor Osimehn. Simon especially is horrific. The guy has no sense where his team mates are.

This is really a frustrating thing I see happen multiple times EVERY MATCH.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Why do our players fail to play square balls ?

Post by Scipio Africanus »

I have shouted myself hoarse on this topic. Brazil-Germany should be required viewing before every SE game! How the Germans tore Brazil apart by always calmly passing to the open man in the box

Wha choo looking at?!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

I was just thinking of this after watching Moroccos goals. Why can’t they put one time balls in? They (many Simon and Samu) have to always dress the ball first, delay and then put in a cross once the defense recovers…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:24 am I have shouted myself hoarse on this topic. Brazil-Germany should be required viewing before every SE game! How the Germans tore Brazil apart by always calmly passing to the open man in the box
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

danfo driver wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:29 am
Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:24 am I have shouted myself hoarse on this topic. Brazil-Germany should be required viewing before every SE game! How the Germans tore Brazil apart by always calmly passing to the open man in the box
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
It is a mindset. You have to be thinking pass.
But if you have players trying to go for glory you won't see that square pass.
To the credit of Osimhen, there was a ball he selfishly took a bad shot when he could have laid it off. But the next time, he did lay it off and the other player fluffed it.

As a number 9, I can understand being selfish but the other players should try to square the ball and the team should get into the habit of playing their teammates on. Chukwueze tried it a couple of times but was unsuccessful pulling it off... I suspect because he is not used to passing.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Showboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Showboy »

This question is one that has dogged us for years and I agree with Cellular about it being a mindset issue. Having said that - why don’t they play with this mindset in their various clubs? It almost feels as though we have a culture of “na me go score am onye diegwu odogwu ball”. Recent examples that spring to mind - Siasia's pass that Yekini still awaits, Osaze's pass that Martins still awaits and more recently a multitude of examples from the current AFCON.

We have to break free of these Messi type solo runs YouTube clips and mandate them to play team ball. It’s not a good look at the highest level of football and it’s certainly not professional (assuming these players are professional?).

It’s something that keeps being repeated over and over again - we did it yesterday, we will do it today and will certainly do it tomorrow. I’m sick of it 😡
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope" (Martin Luther King, Jr)
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

You guys should calm down. Paseiro keeps fielding different players upfront and the whole team has been together for about 2 weeks. Comparing them to Germany against Brazil is apples to oranges. Germany had players who had played together for eons. They also camped for a month before the World Cup.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

I am sorry, I have to whole heartedly disagree with you on the topic of camping. A cerebral player scans the pitch and adjust based on what the opponent throws at him.

Take the case of Osayi, he had a chance to pass to 2 better placed players and then take a spot to present an outlet for them. But, what did he do, he kept running until he lost it.

I don’t see why any player of this level should not lift up their head and scan the positioning of opponents and teammates alike when in attacking mode. Unless they already made the attack all about themselves and were determined to go it alone come what may.

You don’t need camping to have a football brain. Camping sharpens the anticipation and being on the same wavelength. I will take a misplaced pass over the mindless idiocy on display by our guys in those positions. Hence I didn’t fault Chukwueze on the misplaced pass to Lookman.

Kabalega wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:28 am You guys should calm down. Paseiro keeps fielding different players upfront and the whole team has been together for about 2 weeks. Comparing them to Germany against Brazil is apples to oranges. Germany had players who had played together for eons. They also camped for a month before the World Cup.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Showboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Showboy »

Kabalega wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:28 am You guys should calm down. Paseiro keeps fielding different players upfront and the whole team has been together for about 2 weeks. Comparing them to Germany against Brazil is apples to oranges. Germany had players who had played together for eons. They also camped for a month before the World Cup.
And you are? Never mind - Ok thanks :rotf: :lol:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope" (Martin Luther King, Jr)
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

I am not a football player, but in basketball we actually practice fastbreaks so me I am puzzled at these guys. For me, botching these 3 on two breaks is as bad as the Osimhen misses.

Chukwueze, Osimhen and worst of all Osayi, were in great situations and all of them made the wrong decisions. I tire for these guys I beg. Kudos to Iwobi for showing them how it's done against Equatorial Guinea even though Sanusi botched it in the end with his own bad decision making.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

airwolex wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:53 am I am not a football player, but in basketball we actually practice fastbreaks so me I am puzzled at these guys. For me, botching these 3 on two breaks is as bad as the Osimhen misses.

Chukwueze, Osimhen and worst of all Osayi, were in great situations and all of them made the wrong decisions. I tire for these guys I beg. Kudos to Iwobi for showing them how it's done against Equatorial Guinea even though Sanusi botched it in the end with his own bad decision making.
you see that in bad basketball teams too. 3 v 2 fast break, and the person with the ball never passes, instead ends up trying to make an awkward layup with both defenders converging on me. Such selfish play absolutely infuriates me.

Pass the ball and make yourself available for the return pass. Easy score.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.