Let’s play with 2 strikers

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Let’s play with 2 strikers

Post by danfo driver »

1naija wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:53 am Where did you read that? I only said "if" he is fully fit because of the initial reported was that he missed camp because he wasn't fully fit. He was on the sidelines a couple of times to come in as a sub, so he must be fit.
ANC wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:10 am So Kelechi is not fit?
Wow. Wonders.
I thought it was only Bobby Boucher, why would SE need two water boys?
sure... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:52 am
john12 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:45 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:41 am We can't keep shape shifting in panIc mode all the time. Eventually we have to find a system and perfectly it over time. The 343 gives us one of our best defenses in modern times. The attack will follow, it's just a matter of time. Imagine if went to all our previous wc knowing how to defend a 1 goal lead.
I disagree sir. First of all, our traditional wingers Simon and chukwueze end product has been slacking and they’re not scoring. Furthermore , the 343 formation has only 2 Center midfielders starting which is extremely risky. Additionally, there are potent strikers like moffi and Iheanacho on the bench. However you analyze our formation, it isn’t balanced and we should only play such formation against the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Morocco etc. 541 against Guinea bissau common dawg it hasn’t gotten that bad
It doesn't really matter who we play.

352 is the best option.

Osimehn and Lookman up top.

A midfield trio with Iwobi advanced and any 2 of Onyeka, Yusuf, Onyedika behind him.
Agreed whole heartedly
Couldnt help but wonder why over and Over Bassey Aina and and Simon all seemed to be bunched up on the touch line on the left flank with the middle of the field empty of personnel. It became all too predictable .

Truth is we only need one player running the flanks full time and another for extra support. 3-5-2 brings more options to tge game and plugs the middle of the field defensively.

Woul prefer Nacho or Moffi to Lookman though
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

1naija wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:53 am Where did you read that? I only said "if" he is fully fit because of the initial reported was that he missed camp because he wasn't fully fit. He was on the sidelines a couple of times to come in as a sub, so he must be fit.
Wow. Wonders.
I didnt know that you enrolled into the thurgood marshall school of law. My bad.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ANC wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:58 am
Wow. Wonders.
I didnt know that you enrolled into the thurgood marshall school of law. My bad.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: one of the worst law schools in the US. :lol: Their 2024 Law School ranking has to be something like 185 or 190 out of 196 law schools. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: They have been hanging around that abysmal rank for years.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

danfo driver wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:32 am
Wow. Wonders.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: one of the worst law schools in the US. :lol: Their 2024 Law School ranking has to be something like 185 or 190 out of 196 law schools. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: They have been hanging around that abysmal rank for years.
TSU lifted a lot of Nigerians out of American-level poverty.
Do you want this man to continue Lyft driving till he is 77?
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

john12 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:27 am Yes, osimhen hasn’t been proficient at scoring thus far, but his overall performance has been much solid than chukwueze and Simon, and I will rather the latter be dropped . Why can’t our coach utilize similar formations that keshi used in 2013. (433 or 4312) To me, our most impediment has been the midfield and the sooner people realize that starting two Center midfielders in modern football 11, the likelihood of an imbalanced formation.

Iheanacho/Moffi….. osimehn

Lookman.

You will see a huge difference. 541 should only be used vs superior teams
I disagree ! re watch the matches again you would see that Osimehn is the very reason why it seems that the other guys have not done much. He keeps wasting opportunities that would have counted as an assist to these guys. Imagine if had converted the cross from Bassey/Aina against GB it would have helped those guys as well. Osimehn has been in terrible form in this competition so far. Unfortunately Samu/Lookman/Simon/Aina etc. has been the main culprit as their opportunities to get an assist has been wasted by Osimehn. We pray Osimehn gets his Mojo back !
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

john12 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:27 am Yes, osimhen hasn’t been proficient at scoring thus far, but his overall performance has been much solid than chukwueze and Simon, and I will rather the latter be dropped . Why can’t our coach utilize similar formations that keshi used in 2013. (433 or 4312) To me, our most impediment has been the midfield and the sooner people realize that starting two Center midfielders in modern football 11, the likelihood of an imbalanced formation.

Iheanacho/Moffi….. osimehn

Lookman.

You will see a huge difference. 541 should only be used vs superior teams
Pisero is doing exactly that and by playing Lookman with Vic. Lookman has scored more goals that Kelechi this season and in lookman, he also has speed, hustle and a great passer. He got a bit of a hybrid. That's why lookman is allowed to drift to the middle and/or at times stay left and deliver into the box - like the goal against EQG
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ANC wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:39 am
danfo driver wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:32 am
Wow. Wonders.
TSU lifted a lot of Nigerians out of American-level poverty.
Do you want this man to continue Lyft driving till he is 77?
:lol:
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

danfo driver wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:14 am
1naija wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:03 am If Nacho is healthy, we need to figure a way to get him in the line up and maintain the defensive structure we've had. He is the only other player besides Osimhen that has a knack for goals.
And we are in the knockout stages. While Umar has played 2 times since they conspired to send him out of the team.
I’m much happier with Stagger Lee playing for them instead of us. At least Onuachu can dunk.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

There is so much bad football thinking on this thread; I don’t even know where to start.

Nigeria is not playing a rigid formation. The only thing fixed is Osimhen up front. It’s a 5-4-1 in our third most often, but even that’s very much dependent on what the opponent is doing.

I understand the desire for another goal scorer but that’s just a fan’s angst. We have not struggled with chances, just conversion. So it’s not the formation’s fault.

And because the two behind Osimhen play quite narrow, they are effective at giving us numbers in centre mid. And I have to say they’ve been good at it.

In attack, one of the three centre halves steps into that space and becomes a sort of libero that the opposition have to attend to. The best example of this is how we kicked off yesterday’s game. Ajayi lined up at the centre circle alongside Osimhen and headed right into the opposition half from kick-off!

So this “you can’t play two midfielders” is a ridiculous cry. Because we’re not.

Now, the issue might be that we think Samu, Moses and Lookman can’t score. But Lookman has been one of the best scorers in Seria A for two seasons now, so that argument falls off.

Now, if we’re chasing a game, sure, take out Samu and Lookman and bring on say Yusuf and Iheanacho. But just remember, you’ve sacrificed both the flexibility of the current system: how it lets you both blow block and press, how it allows a ball playing centre half to become offensive, and how it gives you three very attack minded players on the field at once without sacrificing width.

Now does it fit Nacho? Nah. Boniface would thrive in it and let’s face it, Samu is playing his best football in a while in it.

So calm down and stop imagining weird things.
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

waka-man wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:45 pm
1naija wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:03 am If Nacho is healthy, we need to figure a way to get him in the line up and maintain the defensive structure we've had. He is the only other player besides Osimhen that has a knack for goals.
And we are in the knockout stages. While Umar has played 2 times since they conspired to send him out of the team.
I’m much happier with Stagger Lee playing for them instead of us. At least Onuachu can dunk.
cool
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

I keep hearing how tall this guy is; I saw him at the airport once. I could have been more impressed.
Are Nigerians below average height?
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

ANC wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:10 pm
I keep hearing how tall this guy is; I saw him at the airport once. I could have been more impressed.
Are Nigerians below average height?
Not for Nigerians :shock:
He’s 6’ 7”. Even in the Netherlands, that’s tall.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I would support this if Awoniyi and Boniface had not got injured and were still in the team. Playing 2 strikers now brings Musa and Onuachu much closer to the starting 11.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

BAP wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:36 am
vancity eagle wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:52 am
john12 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:45 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:41 am We can't keep shape shifting in panIc mode all the time. Eventually we have to find a system and perfectly it over time. The 343 gives us one of our best defenses in modern times. The attack will follow, it's just a matter of time. Imagine if went to all our previous wc knowing how to defend a 1 goal lead.
I disagree sir. First of all, our traditional wingers Simon and chukwueze end product has been slacking and they’re not scoring. Furthermore , the 343 formation has only 2 Center midfielders starting which is extremely risky. Additionally, there are potent strikers like moffi and Iheanacho on the bench. However you analyze our formation, it isn’t balanced and we should only play such formation against the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Morocco etc. 541 against Guinea bissau common dawg it hasn’t gotten that bad
It doesn't really matter who we play.

352 is the best option.

Osimehn and Lookman up top.

A midfield trio with Iwobi advanced and any 2 of Onyeka, Yusuf, Onyedika behind him.
Agreed whole heartedly
Couldnt help but wonder why over and Over Bassey Aina and and Simon all seemed to be bunched up on the touch line on the left flank with the middle of the field empty of personnel. It became all too predictable .

Truth is we only need one player running the flanks full time and another for extra support. 3-5-2 brings more options to tge game and plugs the middle of the field defensively.

Woul prefer Nacho or Moffi to Lookman though
U would prefer Nacho and Moffi over one of ur best players so far!!! Really :???: :???:
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

wiseone wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:59 pm I would support this if Awoniyi and Boniface had not got injured and were still in the team. Playing 2 strikers now brings Musa and Onuachu much closer to the starting 11.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

So u will play with 10 defenders as long as Musa and Onuachu does not make the pitch….?
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Enyi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:06 pm
wiseone wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:59 pm I would support this if Awoniyi and Boniface had not got injured and were still in the team. Playing 2 strikers now brings Musa and Onuachu much closer to the starting 11.

So u will play with 10 defenders as long as Musa and Onuachu does not make the pitch….?
:rotf:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ANC wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:32 pm

:rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Yes. That is why I wrote “I will play with 10 defenders as long as Musa and Onuachu do not make the pitch” in my original post - which your eagle eyed self spotted.

Mschew

icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

waka-man wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:59 pm There is so much bad football thinking on this thread; I don’t even know where to start.

Nigeria is not playing a rigid formation. The only thing fixed is Osimhen up front. It’s a 5-4-1 in our third most often, but even that’s very much dependent on what the opponent is doing.

I understand the desire for another goal scorer but that’s just a fan’s angst. We have not struggled with chances, just conversion. So it’s not the formation’s fault.

And because the two behind Osimhen play quite narrow, they are effective at giving us numbers in centre mid. And I have to say they’ve been good at it.

In attack, one of the three centre halves steps into that space and becomes a sort of libero that the opposition have to attend to. The best example of this is how we kicked off yesterday’s game. Ajayi lined up at the centre circle alongside Osimhen and headed right into the opposition half from kick-off!

So this “you can’t play two midfielders” is a ridiculous cry. Because we’re not.

Now, the issue might be that we think Samu, Moses and Lookman can’t score. But Lookman has been one of the best scorers in Seria A for two seasons now, so that argument falls off.

Now, if we’re chasing a game, sure, take out Samu and Lookman and bring on say Yusuf and Iheanacho. But just remember, you’ve sacrificed both the flexibility of the current system: how it lets you both blow block and press, how it allows a ball playing centre half to become offensive, and how it gives you three very attack minded players on the field at once without sacrificing width.

Now does it fit Nacho? Nah. Boniface would thrive in it and let’s face it, Samu is playing his best football in a while in it.

So calm down and stop imagining weird things.
KPOM!. You sabi. That's why i said in my post to John 12...he is already playing with two strikers in that folks have hybrid roles. Lookman is a second striker when he drift centrally.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

wiseone wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:51 am Yes. That is why I wrote “I will play with 10 defenders as long as Musa and Onuachu do not make the pitch” in my original post - which your eagle eyed self spotted.

Mschew

I actually agree with you…..🤷🏽‍♀️

-Martin Luther King- Jr.