Winning The Trophy Is Important For A Successful Future

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Winning The Trophy Is Important For A Successful Future

Post by danfo driver »

Winning the AFCON is important for many reasons - We need to get back to winning trophies. We have the opportunity to put a winning streak on the continent, if we can build and sustain a team. And finally, its an important way to get the fear factor back, so that when we go into the World Cup qualifier, teams are scraped of us.

However, a very important thing I see is that success has a lot of fathers, and failure is an orphan. Right now, many players with dual nationalities are watching the AFCON and not only seeing the camaraderie within our group, how the dual nationality boys are enjoying their time, but also, they are seeing how strong we perform. If we win, they will want to be part of this. Teams like England have not won a title since 1966 and will never win a title again. So, being able to compete and win is such a massive selling point!

God willing we do it! :thumbs:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: Winning The Trophy Is Important For A Successful Future

Post by Cellular »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:15 pm Winning the AFCON is important for many reasons - We need to get back to winning trophies. We have the opportunity to put a winning streak on the continent, if we can build and sustain a team. And finally, its an important way to get the fear factor back, so that when we go into the World Cup qualifier, teams are scraped of us.

However, a very important thing I see is that success has a lot of fathers, and failure is an orphan. Right now, many players with dual nationalities are watching the AFCON and not only seeing the camaraderie within our group, how the dual nationality boys are enjoying their time, but also, they are seeing how strong we perform. If we win, they will want to be part of this. Teams like England have not won a title since 1966 and will never win a title again. So, being able to compete and win is such a massive selling point!

You don tok am finish.

What I like best about winning is that it will revitalize the SE brand that **** and his co-travelers tried to rubbish.
You will be seeing agents and players now soliciting the NFF and the Coach for a chance to see their players play for the Eagus.

I get 3 dual-nationality players I for like target... Dominic Solanke, Chidebere Eze (although we don almost lose am) and Michael Olise.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Cellular wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:10 pm
danfo driver wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:15 pm Winning the AFCON is important for many reasons - We need to get back to winning trophies. We have the opportunity to put a winning streak on the continent, if we can build and sustain a team. And finally, its an important way to get the fear factor back, so that when we go into the World Cup qualifier, teams are scraped of us.

You don tok am finish.

What I like best about winning is that it will revitalize the SE brand that **** and his co-travelers tried to rubbish.
You will be seeing agents and players now soliciting the NFF and the Coach for a chance to see their players play for the Eagus.

I get 3 dual-nationality players I for like target... Dominic Solanke, Chidebere Eze (although we don almost lose am) and Michael Olise.
And FAKE/UNLICENSED agents will flood CE with various 10 pointers :taunt:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Amen amen oo. Well said
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

wanaj0 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:15 pm
Cellular wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:10 pm

You don tok am finish.

And FAKE/UNLICENSED agents will flood CE with various 10 pointers :taunt:
Ehen! I forgot that one sef. It will help us increase traffic on CE. As you can see, just small improved performance, we have seen a good number of old names like Omey, Vindave etc reappear. If we get back to winning, not only would it renegage some old heads who had given up, we will have new members, including crooked agents - who are always welcome here to drive traffic. :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

I had to check whether this was an old thread. Some of us have been saying this for years.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Why should some players do the heavy lifting for the national team and others now feel its an attractive place for them to swoop in and take the honors
In the long run this is not sustainabile
We need to build from home and make the competition for places exciting for the team.
Agreed to the extent that a win at the AFCON can propel that and where there are gaps, it can be filled in with the "dual nationality boys". Don't get me wrong, I am happy with whomever plays for the team regardless of background, as long as the drive for success and the pride in wearing the jersey is there. Personal ambition is ok but it must be complemented strongly with national ambition
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

akamoke wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:17 am Why should some players do the heavy lifting for the national team and others now feel its an attractive place for them to swoop in and take the honors
We need to build from home and make the competition for places exciting for the team.
Agreed to the extent that a win at the AFCON can propel that and where there are gaps, it can be filled in with the "dual nationality boys". Don't get me wrong, I am happy with whomever plays for the team regardless of background, as long as the drive for success and the pride in wearing the jersey is there. Personal ambition is ok but it must be complemented strongly with national ambition
I get what you’re trying to say but don’t underestimate the power of winning. There are reasons besides money that good players want to play for the likes of Real Madrid, Barca, PSG, Arsenal, Man City etc.. winning and exposure plays a big part.

Boateng, Inaki Williams, Salisu & Lamptey were major coup for Ghana because they qualified for the World Cup.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

packerland wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:01 pm
akamoke wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:17 am Why should some players do the heavy lifting for the national team and others now feel its an attractive place for them to swoop in and take the honors
I get what you’re trying to say but don’t underestimate the power of winning. There are reasons besides money that good players want to play for the likes of Real Madrid, Barca, PSG, Arsenal, Man City etc.. winning and exposure plays a big part.

Boateng, Inaki Williams, Salisu & Lamptey were major coup for Ghana because they qualified for the World Cup.
Agreed, it brought them temporary success but did not propel them to long term success. There is a reason why we have had only 7 or so world champions, and the build from the back, so to speak

Im not disagreeing with your reasoning, but lamenting the fact that that strategy only brings short term success but not long lasting, and certainly , in Nigeria's case , a quarter final berth in the world cup
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

The two approaches dove tail - it's not a case of one or the other. You have to attract the best and success does that.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Akamoke, I have to yawn at the highlighted part of your post, no disrespect.
This your ‘heavy lifting’ argument is too old and too tired.
A serious footballing nation keeps sentiment at a minimum and performance at a premium.

No matter how dedicated to the national team a player is, or how much he/she contributes to the team’s success, if a better player in that position comes along, that’s it.
End of.

Players like Ajayi, Uzoho, Omeruo and even Capito Ekong have very limited time left as younger and more exciting players come along.
Like DD said, success likely brings less capitulation and greater incentive to become part of the SE story. That applies not only to home based players that need the self belief and step up, but also to those born in the diaspora many of whom might foolishly believe they’re a shoo-in.
If we want to get better, we need fierce competition from everywhere.

Everything else you say I totally agree with.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I watched Eze and Olise combine to destroy Sheffield United yesterday.
If we can get both, the SE midfield would be 🔥
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:26 pm I watched Eze and Olise combine to destroy Sheffield United yesterday.
I think we’ve lost those two
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Showboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Showboy »

Very good points all round.

There is also the additional element of marketability - should we win the AFCON, all sorts of offers will come our way. Offers such as friendlies, kit sponsors etc etc - the tag of reigning African Champs means everyone wants your scalp which in turn means you bring your A game (which drives competition subsequently improving the overall team quality) because if you don't somebody else will own those bragging rights - due to having beaten the African Champions.

The other aspect is winning breeds a winning mentality. Only few of our players are true winners in the sense of - have they won trophies and individual accolades.
Once you win and get that buzz - its a feeling you'd want to have over and over again which again translates into overall team quality and approach which can only be a good thing.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope" (Martin Luther King, Jr)
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Dammy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:26 pm I watched Eze and Olise combine to destroy Sheffield United yesterday.
Crystal Palace is 14th out of 20th (6 points from relegation), and Sheffield is 20th.

Perhaps Eze and Olise should spend more time combining to destroy better teams in order to stop fighting relegation?

I saw Awoniyi score avainst 2nd place Arsenal and Adebayo and Osho combine to destroy 8th placed Brighton.

Lets focus on Nigerians who are performing at the top level and leave English/French boys in a relegation dog fight.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

We also forget that a win will most likely mean that our AFOY will retain his AFOY title for 2024 :D

And also, the momentum will mean that we will have the motivation to retain the AFCON title quite quickly- next year :D
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Be like sey ya head dey correct sometimes… 👏🏾👏🏾
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:20 pm
I think we’ve lost those two
Otilo?
I am happy