Naming Nigeria's MVP so far.......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Naming Nigeria's MVP so far.......

Post by Enugu II »

With several SE players upping their game at this AFCON, it is really a challenge to name Nigeria's Most Valuable Person (MVP) at this point of the tournament. I realize that Bassey was named the only SE player in the AFCON team of the second round games, according to some media outlets. However, he is not the only impressive SE player thuds far in this tournament.

I wonder who you think is. Here is my take on the following players who have been criucial so far:

Stanley Nwabali -- Suddenly the emergence of Nwabali has shift the thoughts about Nigeria's goalkeeping by 100%. Stanley has brought confidence behind NIgeria's back line. He has saved from 1 v 1 situations and his confidence playing with his feet has been phenomenal..... Let me be a skeptic for a second, is his reflex quick enough to handle penalty kicks? Perhhaps, I am over thinking it but yeeesssss, I wonder about that situation.

Ola Aina -- This guy has rarely put a foot wrong except for few minutes of the start of the the Ivory Coast game. Beyond that, he has been exemplary. Yet, his Achiless Heel remains inability to dominate aerially.

Calvin Bassey -- Basse has been strong at the point of attack, His ball winning skills against Cameroon was disruptive for the opponents and he topped it with one assist and few should quareel with the fact that he is the one Nigerian who made the AFCON team of the second round as reported by media sources.

William Ekong -- From doghouse to the brioght lights. That is Ekong's story at this AFCON. His calm disposition at the heart of NIgeria's defense has been absolutely importantly. My MVP for the Ivory Coast game. HOwever, is he Nigeria's MVP thus far in this tournament?

Frank Onyeka -- Onyeka has stamped his position as first choice and one of the first on any listing of starters in Nigeria's gameday lineup. This guy is Nigeria's enforcer with timely tackles and ball winning skills. In addition, he has also helped to maintain possession at critical moments.

Ademola Lookman
-- Nigeria's MVP at the last game when he took the weight off Osimhen's shoulders with a brace. Lookman hasbeen 110 focused at this AFCON and is quickly becoming a key figure.

Victor Osimhen
-- Osimhen is OSIMHEN. He leads this team and no one else works harder than this lad. Forget the stats, think EFFORT. The key example of a 110 player. But if you desire stats then think of one goal and two assists already at this AFCON.

Jose Peseiro -- He is the manager. He was much maligned before the tournament. Yet this tournament was the first time he had these players together for more than a few days. His impact is clear. He changed the base formation and suddenly the team has taken off. He ditched the idea that Nigeria is full of forwards and thus the formation must cater for it. Instead, he saw a team that was alarmingly conceding in every game and he shored up the defense and now the team has gone three games without conceding.
Last edited by Enugu II on Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Naming Nigeria's MVP so far.......

Post by metalalloy »

Hard to pick out any single player at the moment. The entire defense line would be my choice, but Ekong has been massive if forced to pick a single player.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

The whole team has been consistently impressive so far. But if I had to pick one player, it would be Osimhen. We've scored 5 goals in the tournament so far and he has been directly responsible for 4 of them.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

What’s hard about it? It’s Osihmen by a million miles. With the defense and without Vic we’d be out already.
OCCUPY NFF!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...I hope they have a good rest before Angola encounter.
Those guys posses the flair of Brazil and Portugal influence, they are tricky and fast.
Let us reduce them to an African side.
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

Minus Zaidu, the rest have been all superb.
Zaidu is the only weak link in this team.

I'll give the mvp to Osimhen. This guy brings what many strikers in the world today don't bring. He scores, he assists, he tackles, he attacks. He dictates the game.
Osimhen wins 95% of all duels.
The last player I saw play like that is Drogba.
Maybe this is why Drogba is so drawn to him.
I dare say that if Osimhen was European, he'll cost more than Halland.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Ola Aina
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Osimhen. I can't remember Nigeria ever starting games with such urgency. It's on him. He drives the others. As long as he is healthy we have a great chance of winning it all.
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

Great Summation by writer: All the boys came to play. Bravo despite midfield our arches hills. We are doing it. Good going boys.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

It's Nwabili. He has stabilized arguably the biggest problem area for the SE in last 8 years.if Uzoho was in goal, the team would have been out in the group stage. Almost any decent shot at Uzoho is a goal.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

In my own opinion, the beauty of this tournament is that it’s the first since the Atlanta Olympics where each game presents more than 5 candidates for MVP. Top tier performances from a number of individuals.

I didn’t even know Semi Ajayi could defend like this…I can go on and on man
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Team sport.
But for me, even before the tournament, I hedged on my bet on Osimhen.
He is the heartbeat of the team.
Been impressed with everyone especially the coaching staff.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

And you know this because??? I guess we qualified for the tournament with Nwabali too.
oscar52 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:08 pm It's Nwabili. He has stabilized arguably the biggest problem area for the SE in last 8 years.if Uzoho was in goal, the team would have been out in the group stage. Almost any decent shot at Uzoho is a goal.
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:53 pm With several SE players upping their game at this AFCON, it is really a challenge to name Nigeria's Most Valuable Person (MVP) at this point of the tournament. I realize that Bassey was named the only SE player in the AFCON team of the second round games, according to some media outlets. However, he is not the only impressive SE player thuds far in this tournament.

I wonder who you think is. Here is my take on the following players who have been criucial so far:

Stanley Nwabali -- Suddenly the emergence of Nwabali has shift the thoughts about Nigeria's goalkeeping by 100%. Stanley has brought confidence behind NIgeria's back line. He has saved from 1 v 1 situations and his confidence playing with his feet has been phenomenal..... Let me be a skeptic for a second, is his reflex quick enough to handle penalty kicks? Perhhaps, I am over thinking it but yeeesssss, I wonder about that situation.

Ola Aina -- This guy has rarely put a foot wrong except for few minutes of the start of the the Ivory Coast game. Beyond that, he has been exemplary. Yet, his Achiless Heel remains inability to dominate aerially.

Calvin Bassey -- Basse has been strong at the point of attack, His ball winning skills against Cameroon was disruptive for the opponents and he topped it with one assist and few should quareel with the fact that he is the one Nigerian who made the AFCON team of the second round as reported by media sources.

William Ekong -- From doghouse to the brioght lights. That is Ekong's story at this AFCON. His calm disposition at the heart of NIgeria's defense has been absolutely importantly. My MVP for the Ivory Coast game. HOwever, is he Nigeria's MVP thus far in this tournament?

Frank Onyeka -- Onyeka has stamped his position as first choice and one of the first on any listing of starters in Nigeria's gameday lineup. This guy is Nigeria's enforcer with timely tackles and ball winning skills. In addition, he has also helped to maintain possession at critical moments.

Ademola Lookman
-- Nigeria's MVP at the last game when he took the weight off Osimhen's shoulders with a brace. Lookman hasbeen 110 focused at this AFCON and is quickly becoming a key figure.

Victor Osimhen
-- Osimhen is OSIMHEN. He leads this team and no one else works harder than this lad. Forget the stats, think EFFORT. The key example of a 110 player. But if you desire stats then think of one goal and two assists already at this AFCON.

Jose Peseiro -- He is the manager. He was much maligned before the tournament. Yet this tournament was the first time he had these players together for more than a few days. His impact is clear. He changed the base formation and suddenly the team has taken off. He ditched the idea that Nigeria is full of forwards and thus the formation must cater for it. Instead, he saw a team that was alarmingly conceding in every game and he shored up the defense and now the team has gone three games without conceding.
Thanks again for another interesting write up. I was having a convo with a friend yesterday about how hard it was to pick an Eagle of the tourney so far - that's the good.

One thing tho is process of elimination and looking across 4 games.

Stanley brings confidence and inspires confidence - backline self are not stressing, however, I will leave Nwabili out of a list like this for now. I want to see a save from him that makes me exclaim...like wow!. This GK position so traumatized us that we see a good GK and we may be calling him great too soon. I promise I'm not trying to hate. I wish him and is the best.

I will also remove Onyeka. He has one standout game. Aina, Bassey, Ekong, Lookman have been consistent. I guess I'll add Oshimen. Hopefully these 5 makes it hard for me to further eliminate after the Angola game.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

I might be wrong, but I think Ajayi is the only player to have played every minute so far. Not that I’m suggesting he’s the MVP, but it’s an interesting fact.

I’d say Lookman has had one great game, and been otherwise decent.

The folks who have been standout every single game are Bassey, Aina and Osimhen. I’d go with one of those.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

icee wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:14 pm
Enugu II wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:53 pm With several SE players upping their game at this AFCON, it is really a challenge to name Nigeria's Most Valuable Person (MVP) at this point of the tournament. I realize that Bassey was named the only SE player in the AFCON team of the second round games, according to some media outlets. However, he is not the only impressive SE player thuds far in this tournament.

Ademola Lookman

Victor Osimhen

Thanks again for another interesting write up. I was having a convo with a friend yesterday about how hard it was to pick an Eagle of the tourney so far - that's the good.

One thing tho is process of elimination and looking across 4 games.

Stanley brings confidence and inspires confidence - backline self are not stressing, however, I will leave Nwabili out of a list like this for now. I want to see a save from him that makes me exclaim...like wow!. This GK position so traumatized us that we see a good GK and we may be calling him great too soon. I promise I'm not trying to hate. I wish him and is the best.

I will also remove Onyeka. He has one standout game. Aina, Bassey, Ekong, Lookman have been consistent. I guess I'll add Oshimen. Hopefully these 5 makes it hard for me to further eliminate after the Angola game.
The two most consistent high performers have been Ola Aina and Bassey. So Aina will get the edge because he has played every single game. As good as Osimhen is he hasn't been our top performer. He has been very good but not our top performer.

The Most Valuable Person with the emphasis on PERSON. To me is Victor Osimhen... he is the reason we are not an average team. Remove him and we will be ordinary.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

1naija wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:03 pm And you know this because??? I guess we qualified for the tournament with Nwabali too.
oscar52 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:08 pm It's Nwabili. He has stabilized arguably the biggest problem area for the SE in last 8 years.if Uzoho was in goal, the team would have been out in the group stage. Almost any decent shot at Uzoho is a goal.
WC before last, I blame Uzoho for the Argentine goals but it was Rohr that took a young goalkeeper to the WC. But omo in the last WC qualification, btw him and Okoye they messed our WC up against Ghana. A few friendly ago, he basically scooped the ball into his own net. A player that looks so bad it makes him look compromised. I cant recall a game that i saw of him and say this guy really won the game for the SE. No thanks. Another player I feel is not ready is Joe Aribo.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Which player that if out their chances dimishes greatly. It's a tie btw Odimhen abd Nwabili for me. Nwabili just calms the team down and the defenders feeds off that and they no longer playing six man defense. I give it to Nwabili and Osimhen second. But Osimhen first fine by me as well.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

What about our offense that could barely score in the games you mentioned?
oscar52 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:27 pm
1naija wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:03 pm And you know this because??? I guess we qualified for the tournament with Nwabali too.
WC before last, I blame Uzoho for the Argentine goals but it was Rohr that took a young goalkeeper to the WC. But omo in the last WC qualification, btw him and Okoye they messed our WC up against Ghana. A few friendly ago, he basically scooped the ball into his own net. A player that looks so bad it makes him look compromised. I cant recall a game that i saw of him and say this guy really won the game for the SE. No thanks. Another player I feel is not ready is Joe Aribo.
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Bassey