What Manner of Defence is Peseiro Putting Up for Zaidu?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: What Manner of Defence is Peseiro Putting Up for Zaidu?

Post by vancity eagle »

I do not accept that Osimehn has been our best player.

No way.

Some players have been flawless in the execution of their roles in the team.

Troost, Bassey, Nwabali, Aina have all executed their roles in the team much better than Osimehn.

Osimehn needs to score more goals and also find himself in better positions to score.

He has been very poor in this aspect, so no way can he be considered our best player. No way.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Of all our defenders, Ajayi and Zaidu have made the most mistakes but they also take the most risks so we will have to live with it.

Ajayi has obviously been given license to carry the ball up field and once in a while he gets bodied off the ball.

While Aina has been attacking, he chooses his moments. Zaidu, probably because of his motor is non stop up and down, and because of that his offensive deficiencies are more obvious, but those of you calling for him to be dropped should know Calvin Bassey can only play limited minutes in this style.

When we tried Osayi on the right with Aina as Lwb it just didn't work. Osayi just didn't seem to understand what his role was so y'all relax. Na so we go run an.
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

YUJAM wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:42 pm It's not easy to cover 8 miles per game and Zaidu does that very well. Have y'all noticed that when the S Eagles are attacking, he is always up there with the attackers? It takes an immense amount of stamina to do that. And obviously when you have more players in attack, it makes it harder for the opposing team to defend the play.

The guy is an awesome defender and a player who always supports the attack. Also, keep in mind that Nigeria’s 3-4-3 system is quite hard to execute without players like Zaidu who have the stamina and fitness to be where they are supposed to be depending on the phase of the play.
Zaidu no sabi play ball abeg ! He has problem in FC Porto and has been benched by Wendell this season, how many game has he started in his club ? I have seen Iroha, Babayaro, Udeze and Taiwo play from the the left side of the defence. These guys were good good ball players beside doing their defensive duties.
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

YUJAM wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:42 pm It's not easy to cover 8 miles per game and Zaidu does that very well. Have y'all noticed that when the S Eagles are attacking, he is always up there with the attackers? It takes an immense amount of stamina to do that. And obviously when you have more players in attack, it makes it harder for the opposing team to defend the play.

The guy is an awesome defender and a player who always supports the attack. Also, keep in mind that Nigeria’s 3-4-3 system is quite hard to execute without players like Zaidu who have the stamina and fitness to be where they are supposed to be depending on the phase of the play.
Zaidu no sabi play ball abeg ! He has problem in FC Porto and has been benched by Wendell this season, how many game has he started in his club this season ? I have seen Iroha, Babayaro, Udeze and Taiwo play from the the left side of the defence. These guys were good good ball players beside doing their defensive duties.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

No sabi play ball? You don't play for Porto if you no sabi play ball.

Let's stop with this trivialization of the game. One would think that you are confusing the game with playstation football with the way some of y'all analyze the game
onovo wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:53 pm

Zaidu no sabi play ball abeg ! He has problem in FC Porto and has been benched by Wendell this season, how many game has he started in his club ? I have seen Iroha, Babayaro, Udeze and Taiwo play from the the left side of the defence. These guys were good good ball players beside doing their defensive duties.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

No sabi play ball? You don't play for Porto if you no sabi play ball.

Let's stop with this trivialization of the game. One would think that you are confusing the game with playstation football with the way some of y'all analyze the game

Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

YUJAM wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:02 pm No sabi play ball? You don't play for Porto if you no sabi play ball.

Like I said earlier, I have watched Iroha and Babayaro, etc. what Zaidu offers in terms of play is not up to standard. No disrespect to him. It is what it is
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

onovo wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:08 pm
YUJAM wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:02 pm No sabi play ball? You don't play for Porto if you no sabi play ball.

Like I said earlier, I have watched Iroha and Babayaro, etc. what Zaidu offers in terms of play is not up to standard. No disrespect to him. It is what it is

If you understood football as you erroneously claim here, you would know that both Babayaro and Iroha played different role than what Zaidu is currently tasked with.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

txj wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:26 pm
onovo wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:08 pm

If you understood football as you erroneously claim here, you would know that both Babayaro and Iroha played different role than what Zaidu is currently tasked with.
Nah you sabi ball QED !
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

ANC wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:35 pm
Sleaky72 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:06 pm And by the way, some may disagree but if I’m picking the most outstanding player for Nigeria it would rank

1. Aina
2. Lookman
3. Osimhen
1. Osimhen (key to the style of play)
2. Iwobi (key to the style of play)
3. Lookman (2nd best SE overall)
4. Ekoong (he should not retire yet)
5.Bassey (Solid)
6 Aina (bonafide superstar, I wish they would play him on the left)
7 Nwabali (Nigeria would have struggled without him)
8 Moses (I wish he would think to pass first rather than drible)
9 Omeruo (solid)
10 Ajayi (suspect)
11 Zaidu (perhaps he is injured)
So Aina is a Bonafide superstar and Lookman second best according to you.
Well enough said then lol
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Sleaky72 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:38 pm
Sleaky72 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:06 pm And by the way, some may disagree but if I’m picking the most outstanding player for Nigeria it would rank

1. Aina
2. Lookman
3. Osimhen
5.Bassey (Solid)
9 Omeruo (solid)
10 Ajayi (suspect)
I ranked the team based on the current set up and performance. Iwobi and VO9 are key to the current set up.
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

ANC wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:42 pm

1. Aina
2. Lookman
3. Osimhen
5.Bassey (Solid)
9 Omeruo (solid)
10 Ajayi (suspect)
I ranked the team based on the current set up and performance. Iwobi and VO9 are key to the current set up.
You said Aina was a Bonafide superstar.
No one else got that accolade.
Then you said that Lookman was the second best overall player ..: ok so what other inference are you trying to draw?
I’m only quoting you dude …
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Zaidu has not been benched by Wendell. He has been injured most of the first half of the season and that’s why Wendell is playing
I am happy
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

After all these rantings, not one of those against Zaidu named a credible replacement
sitting on the bench. Which is why the coach keeps fielding him. With all the criticism
of the player, one would think tons of goals have been from his errors, and that he has
zero impact on the matches.
Some people will always find faults with anything and everyone except, of course, themselves.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

-o-x-O-!-O-x-o-
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

If Zaidu works on his finishing, he’d be one of our highest goal scorers. He’s always in dangerous areas but he can’t finish for lick.

He’s a good defender though
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

deanotito wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:47 am

If Zaidu works on his finishing, he’d be one of our highest goal scorers. He’s always in dangerous areas but he can’t finish for lick.

debatable
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

ANC wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:08 am
deanotito wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:47 am

debatable
He is. I know he’s not silky smooth but he’s no slouch in defending. The offensive product is just very suspect
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

Sleaky72 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:46 pm

1. Aina
2. Lookman
3. Osimhen
5.Bassey (Solid)
9 Omeruo (solid)
10 Ajayi (suspect)
Then you said that Lookman was the second best overall player ..: ok so what other inference are you trying to draw?
I’m only quoting you dude …
Last edited by ugly boy on Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

ugly boy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:52 am
Sleaky72 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:46 pm

1. Aina
2. Lookman
3. Osimhen
5.Bassey (Solid)
9 Omeruo (solid)
10 Ajayi (suspect)
I’m only quoting you dude
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Aina is good but can be careless at times. Look at his attitude after the Angolan
went through the defenders and took that shot that hit bounced of the upright.
He certainly was not interested in at least chasing him.

― Chris Hedges
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Zaidu offers little going forward. No good crosses, poor linkage with the strikers.

Zaidu's main role imho is to shore up the left side midfield especially with defensive sieve Iwobi. He is not really a left back but a left defensive midfielder.

Nigeria tends to play a deep defensive structure like this:

------------- Ajayi ---------- Ekong -------- Bassey ----------------------

------- Aina --------- Onyeka ----------- Iwobi --------- Zaidu ---------

------------ Simon ------------------------- Lookman ---------------------

--------------------------------Osihmen -------------------------------------

The danger of this formation is that it limits the scoring opportunities to counter-attacking play and isolates Osihmen.

I wonder why Paseiro does not revert to a regular 4-3-3 by pushing Zaidu to the left back and moving Frank Onyeka to the left and Aina to the right.

Something like this will probably create more chances from the midfield without losing the midfield defensive shield:

---- Ajayi ------ Ekong -------- Bassey ------- Zaidu -----

------ Aina -------------- Iwobi ------------- Onyeka -------

----- Simon --------- Osihmen --------- Lookman ---------
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

kali wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:11 am Zaidu offers little going forward. No good crosses, poor linkage with the strikers.

Zaidu's main role imho is to shore up the left side midfield especially with defensive sieve Iwobi. He is not really a left back but a left defensive midfielder.

Nigeria tends to play a deep defensive structure like this:

------------- Ajayi ---------- Ekong -------- Bassey ----------------------

------- Aina --------- Onyeka ----------- Iwobi --------- Zaidu ---------

------------ Simon ------------------------- Lookman ---------------------

--------------------------------Osihmen -------------------------------------

The danger of this formation is that it limits the scoring opportunities to counter-attacking play and isolates Osihmen.

I wonder why Paseiro does not revert to a regular 4-3-3 by pushing Zaidu to the left back and moving Frank Onyeka to the left and Aina to the right.

Something like this will probably create more chances from the midfield without losing the midfield defensive shield:

---- Ajayi ------ Ekong -------- Bassey ------- Zaidu -----

------ Aina -------------- Iwobi ------------- Onyeka -------

----- Simon --------- Osihmen --------- Lookman ---------
Well, if it's not broke don't fix it. I personally have a different opinion of the midfield but the formation is working.

Second, we've actually been having several scoring opportunities or chances; it's just that we've not been scoring. If we've been burying 50% of our scoring chances, we'd have been winning each game by a minimum of 3-goal margin.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe