Nigeria v South Africa Loading

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

greg
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria v South Africa Loading

Post by greg »

lacidi wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:59 am No goalkeeper saves PKs. Players miss PKs. Let's stop the hype. If you play it well, you will score it. Simple.
Good one. Williams the goalie is in top form this tournament. However the Cape Verdean penalties were quite poor. If you've already picked one side of the goal, then at least aim for the top corner not bottom. Secondly it is just foolhardy not to be flexible enough to change plans once you've already seen that the goalkeeper can save shots that get placed to his bottom right. Lastly the game should never have gone to penalty kicks. Those players are just way too selfish. Daniel Amokachi kept alluding to how they keep going for individual Glory at crucial moments instead of raising up their heads to find the open man. No way that RSA should have won this match if they just did that. I feel better meeting RSA than CIV at this point.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

greg wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:30 am
lacidi wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:59 am No goalkeeper saves PKs. Players miss PKs. Let's stop the hype. If you play it well, you will score it. Simple.
Good one. Williams the goalie is in top form this tournament. However the Cape Verdean penalties were quite poor. If you've already picked one side of the goal, then at least aim for the top corner not bottom. Secondly it is just foolhardy not to be flexible enough to change plans once you've already seen that the goalkeeper can save shots that get placed to his bottom right. Lastly the game should never have gone to penalty kicks. Those players are just way too selfish. Daniel Amokachi kept alluding to how they keep going for individual Glory at crucial moments instead of raising up their heads to find the open man. No way that RSA should have won this match if they just did that. I feel better meeting RSA than CIV at this point.
Same here.
Let’s not forget that the SA penalties were poor too. It’s just that the CV penalties were even worse.
SA also ballooned a penalty back to Jo’burg in their 2-0 loss to Mali in the group stages.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

v South Africa
Games won: 7
Games drawn: 5
Games lost: 2
Date Match Result Score Competition
10 Oct 1992 Nigeria v South Africa W 4-0 FIFA World Cup
16 Jan 1993 South Africa v Nigeria D 0-0 FIFA World Cup
10 Feb 2000 Nigeria v South Africa W 2-0 Africa Cup of Nations
31 Jan 2004 Nigeria v South Africa W 4-0 Africa Cup of Nations
17 Nov 2004 South Africa v Nigeria L 2-1 International Friendly
01 Jun 2008 Nigeria v South Africa W 2-0 FIFA World Cup
06 Sep 2008 South Africa v Nigeria W 0-1 FIFA World Cup
14 Aug 2013 South Africa v Nigeria W 0-2 International Friendly
10 Sep 2014 South Africa v Nigeria D 0-0 Africa Cup of Nations
19 Nov 2014 Nigeria v South Africa D 2-2 Africa Cup of Nations
29 Mar 2015 South Africa v Nigeria D 1-1 International Friendly
10 Jun 2017 Nigeria v South Africa L 0-2 Africa Cup of Nations
17 Nov 2018 South Africa v Nigeria D 1-1 Africa Cup of Nations
10 Jul 2019 Nigeria v South Africa W 2-1 Africa Cup of Nations
https://www.11v11.com/teams/nigeria/tab ... e_vignette
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

I know the SA keeper was lucky, but we need to avoid another PK shootout. The worry is that it may play in the mind of our boys that they have to do something special to beat him.

All in all it's a great matchup for us. We are the best team with the best player, plus Simon and Lookman are getting increasingly influential.

SA were very lucky against Morocco and Cape Verde; let's hope it's all used up.
sarkin doya
Egg
Egg

Post by sarkin doya »

Naija fan wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:00 am We are in the same world cup group as RSA and have always had the psychological edge on them so this is a game we absolutely have to win in order to retain that edge. Going by what I saw RSA do against Cape Verde today, we should win this game. 2-0 Nigeria
The days of SE having the psychological edge over Bafana are long gone. Since about 2013 or 2014, the matchups have been more even. I remember at least two matches since then when Tokolo Rantie and Percy Tau absolutely bullied our SE defence including one time when Omeruo was in the backline.

SA should not be taken lightly.

As for the SA goalie, while most of the Cape Verde penalties were poorly taken, it is no small feat for a goalie to save 4 of the kicks. Kudos to Williams. May he have buttery hands when he faces the SE :D
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

sarkin doya wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:33 pm
Naija fan wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:00 am We are in the same world cup group as RSA and have always had the psychological edge on them so this is a game we absolutely have to win in order to retain that edge. Going by what I saw RSA do against Cape Verde today, we should win this game. 2-0 Nigeria
The days of SE having the psychological edge over Bafana are long gone. Since about 2013 or 2014, the matchups have been more even. I remember at least two matches since then when Tokolo Rantie and Percy Tau absolutely bullied our SE defence including one time when Omeruo was in the backline.

As for the SA goalie, while most of the Cape Verde penalties were poorly taken, it is no small feat for a goalie to save 4 of the kicks. Kudos to Williams. May he have buttery hands when he faces the SE :D
He also made a point blank save in a 1v1 towards the end of the match. He had no business saving that so he's really in top form. He has now kept 4 clean sheets in a row. Same as Nwabali. I think this is the match where we need to be more clinical with our chances as I'm sure we can create a few against them.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Damunk wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:02 am
I agree totally.
I’m sure the SA keeper doesn’t have an 80% penalty kick save rate. Impossible.
The average rate is 11% according to google.
Let’s double that for the SA keeper -22%.
Still just over 1 in 5.

He did great yesterday but it might never happen again. Probably a world record.

HAVE TO AGREE

I think all this talk about scouting a team to know the tendencies of their pk takers is overblown. Yes, I saw one of the keepers look at a cheat sheet but how do you come up with tendencies for players who may not have taken pk's for years, if not in their entire pro career? There's not enough data points for that.
Bell
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

Nigerians is South Africa need insurance for their business o. Once we beat them I hope they wouldn't go around burning businesses and killing our people in their country.
http://www.melangeGO.com/
A family oriented online fashion store. Offering high quality products at low cost.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

mastermind wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:55 am Nigerians is South Africa need insurance for their business o. Once we beat them I hope they wouldn't go around burning businesses and killing our people in their country.
What is stopping them from buying firearms to protect themselves?

Wha choo looking at?!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mastermind wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:55 am Nigerians is South Africa need insurance for their business o. Once we beat them I hope they wouldn't go around burning businesses and killing our people in their country.
The Nigeria High Comission in SA has put out an official statement warning Nigerians to lie low until the tension simmers down.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I think SA would probably play the same formation as we do. I’m looking forward to the battle of the 3-4-3
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

greg wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:55 pm
sarkin doya wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:33 pm

He also made a point blank save in a 1v1 towards the end of the match. He had no business saving that so he's really in top form. He has now kept 4 clean sheets in a row. Same as Nwabali. I think this is the match where we need to be more clinical with our chances as I'm sure we can create a few against them.
That South African goalie was a freak on the pk shootout but it was based on his study habit. Notice that he had a dark blanket where he had a paper hidden and he periodically looked at it. I guess he had names of his opponent written on it with their pk tendencies. That is a key point.

Besides using a cheat cheat, I have watched the veteran Brazilian goalie Taffarel use a very successful strategy at pks. He would stand on one third of his goalline instead of the centre. The basically lures the pk taker to shoot at the open 2/3 but also means that the goalie does not have to guess. If the taker shoots it far enough, then it's a goal. But it could go too far and wide or not far enough and Taffarell could dive at it for a possible save.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Damunk wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:01 pm
The Nigeria High Comission in SA has put out an official statement warning Nigerians to lie low until the tension simmers down.
But South AFrica have never been violent after a loss. What's different this time?
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

airwolex wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:46 am
Damunk wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:01 pm
But South AFrica have never been violent after a loss. What's different this time?
Nigerians still dey that yeye country sef? They mus be some desperados.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:56 pm Image
v South Africa
E no go better for **** na dat day after the 2:0 home defeat to South Africa and his reaction to that game that I realized we ain't going anywhere with that clown. After that we have had CAR at home, Mada#$%^kingascar.

We have no business losing to South Africa in Football. Rugby, yes! But not football.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Cellular wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:29 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:56 pm Image
v South Africa
E no go better for **** na dat day after the 2:0 home defeat to South Africa and his reaction to that game that I realized we ain't going anywhere with that clown. After that we have had CAR at home, Mada#$%^kingascar.

We have no business losing to South Africa in Football. Rugby, yes! But not football.
The Mentality is changing back to the norm, never should our players ever go through such.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

have hope still doing his thing, guy is hilarious

Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

iworo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:48 am
What??? Why? Ojoro don start. There better be a Beninoise person in the VAR room.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Afcon: South Africa slams Nigeria for football safety warning

A diplomatic row has broken out between Nigeria and South Africa ahead of the two sides' semi-final match at the Africa Cup of Nations on Wednesday.

The Nigerian High Commission in South Africa warned Nigerian football fans to refrain from boisterous celebrations if their team wins.

That warning was intended to prevent the provocation of xenophobic attacks by frustrated South African supporters.

But South Africa says that this has only created "false alarm".
There has been a long-standing rivalry between the two footballing giants - the Super Eagles and Bafana Bafana.

But in its statement on Tuesday, South Africa's Department of International Relations and Cooperation (Dirco) said there was "no history of soccer hooliganism among South Africans" at matches against Nigeria.

"We are confident that the sports-loving nation of South Africa poses no threat to Nigerian citizens, and we do not agree with the apprehension expressed by the High Commission," Dirco added.

"The advisory is regrettable because it seems to create alarm and unnecessary tension between the citizens of South Africa and Nigerians living in or visiting South Africa."

Nigeria has yet to respond to the statement from South African officials.

In recent years, South Africa has seen a wave of xenophobic attacks against Africans who have moved there from elsewhere in the continent, often for better economic opportunities.

In its statement earlier on Tuesday, Nigeria's diplomatic service said it was issuing the warning because it had seen evidence of "veiled threats" by South Africans online.

It advised Nigerians living in South Africa to "be watchful of their utterances, be mindful of where they choose to watch the match especially in public places, and refrain from engaging in loud, riotous or provocative celebrations should the Super Eagles win".

Kick-off is at 17:00 GMT on Wednesday in the Ivorian city of Bouaké.

The other semi-final is between the hosts Ivory Coast and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-68210687
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

[media] [/media]
OCCUPY NFF!!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

King Futcha wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:33 am have hope still doing his thing, guy is hilarious

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: 17:34 the guy finished Uzoho :woot: :woot: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Wha choo looking at?!