343 WAS A TOTAL BUST TODAY LIKE I SAID

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

onovo
Egg
Egg
Re: 343 WAS A TOTAL BUST TODAY LIKE I SAID

Post by onovo »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:38 pm We can all celebrate, but we are lucky to get through.

The lottery that was PK's should have been completely avoided.

Peseiro was very poor today IMO. The man is a COWARD.

How on earth do you play 120 minutes of football in desperate search of a goal and you have 3 centrebacks on the pitch the entire time. Not once did this coward think to play a more expansive game and switch to a 433. Not once.

This clueless man tires out or ONLY creative midfielder by playing him as a DM in a 2 man setup. He then subs him off at 70 minutes because YOU MADE HIM DO DONKEY WORK.

Instead of playing Iwobi in an advanced position you tire him out doing the work of an Innocent Bonke. Absolute trash and rubish !!!!

HOW MANY CHANCES DID WE CREATE IN 120 MINUTES ?

Just 2. One was Lookman who was played through, the other being the Moffi break. Thats it. 2 chances in 120 minutes.

VERY VERY POOR.

I dont care that we won, this is absolute trash and cowardly football. :boo:
Exactly ! I also had issues with his formation and line-up which has become too predictable, unfortunately majority of the fans were carried away with his narrow win. You could clearly see that some of our players are already fatigued !
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

What if we did the unexpected and played 4-4-2 in the final?

Vic Moffi
Moses Iwobi Tank Lookman
Bassey Ekong Ajayi Aina
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Ugbowo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:34 am What is this Cybereagles becoming?

3-4-3 got you here. No goals conceded. YOU ABSOLUTELY had to continue it. Now SA came with a fantastic tactical plan and our wide forwards were not dropping into the second block on time. That got fixed after the first water break.

His subs were very good except the Yusuf for Iwobi. I thought that was waaayyy too early. I also thought Yusuf is just not tactically dicsci[lined. He runs around ALOT and tries to man mark everybody everywhere, you will get passed around and you will commit fouls. He'll need to learn positional discipline.
Onyeka was getting stretched all over the place. I need to rewatch the game again, but Iwobi wasn’t helping him much either defensively. I recall two desperation tackles by Ajayi that saved our blushes after turnovers in the middle. I also agree that the staff made adjustments especially in the second half as they stopped our players from chasing the South Africans aimlessly in their half exposing our backline to the high ball.

I agree that Yusuf was just passed around easily. Thankfully CIV doesnt play that same style as SA does. Iwobi certainly starts the final (barrring injury), but I don’t think Yusuf will be as ineffective as he was today if he has to play.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

donadoni wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:09 am What if we did the unexpected and played 4-4-2 in the final?

Vic Moffi
Moses Iwobi Tank Lookman
Bassey Ekong Ajayi Aina
Highly unlikely to happen and makes zero sense IMO.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:38 pm We can all celebrate, but we are lucky to get through.

How on earth do you play 120 minutes of football in desperate search of a goal and you have 3 centrebacks on the pitch the entire time. Not once did this coward think to play a more expansive game and switch to a 433. Not once.

This clueless man tires out or ONLY creative midfielder by playing him as a DM in a 2 man setup. He then subs him off at 70 minutes because YOU MADE HIM DO DONKEY WORK.

Instead of playing Iwobi in an advanced position you tire him out doing the work of an Innocent Bonke. Absolute trash and rubish !!!!

Just 2. One was Lookman who was played through, the other being the Moffi break. Thats it. 2 chances in 120 minutes.

VERY VERY POOR.

1. Min 13:06: Cross from Aina into the box that Williams just got fingertips to
2. MIn 23:51: Freekick from lookman into the box that Ajayi headed and saved by Williams.
3. Min 36: Shot from Iwobi from outside the box on the left saved by Williams.
4. Min 43: Osimhen header from a corner just wide
5. Min 56: Cross from Bright Osayi to Osimhen in the box that he headed over.
6. Min 63: Osimhen Pk
7. Min 90: Osimhen lay off outside the SA box shot by Chukwueze
8: Min 92: Through pass from Chukwueze to Lookman on the left, shot by lookman parried away by Williams
9: Min 100: Break in the middle, pass from Lookman to Osimhen, beat one and took a laser shot saved by Williams
10: Min 105: Cross on left from Aina into the box, Osimhen heads over
11. Min 111: sick Through ball from (Chukwueze? Kelechi?) to Moffi. Moffi hacked down

All these don't count as chances?

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

No.

Those were not serious chances.

The only real chance we had in 90 minutes was that through ball to Lookman. That's it.

Am I the only one who notices that we actually created the most chances BY FAR, in our opening match when we played 433.

Also Yusuf has not shined in this 343 formation bit he was great in the 433.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:03 am No.

The only real chance we had in 90 minutes was that through ball to Lookman. That's it.

Am I the only one who notices that we actually created the most chances BY FAR, in our opening match when we played 433.

Oh sorry. My bad. Carry on. :rotf:

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

metalalloy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:04 am

What was the xgoals then ?

I checked it was 1.6 for Nigeria to 1.6 for SA. That's in 120 minutes.

Meanwhile when we played 433 against Equatorial Guinea it was 2.8 Nigeria to .3 EG.

So 1.6 in 120 minutes compared to 2.8 in 90 minutes ?

So I am CORRECT that we are far better in a 433, and before anybody talks about defence, we only let EG have an expected goals of .3 as opposed to 1.6 against SA with the 343.

Statistically I am correct.

343 is not our best formation by a long shot. Sooner or later we will not be so lucky and be found out.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:11 am

Meanwhile when we played 433 against Equatorial Guinea it was 2.8 Nigeria to .3 EG.

So I am CORRECT that we are far better in a 433, and before anybody talks about defence, we only let EG have an expected goals of .3 as opposed to 1.6 against SA with the 343.

343 is not our best formation by a long shot. Sooner or later we will not be so lucky and be found out.
I think we should go with either 433 or 352 against CIV, I say we try 433 in the first half...score 2 goals and then revert to 343 to stay compact.

I'll really to see an attacking trio of Kelechi- Moffi and Osimhen in the finals...we need to quickly rattle the Ivorians from the blast of the whistle, let's not play the same formation we lined up against them last time cause they will figure us out.
Last edited by Tobi17 on Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

You are seriously comparing stats from a 1st group stage match vs a semi finals bout? :shock:

I honestly think you are truly trolling. I commend you to your dedication to the bit because there is no way you are making these arguments you make with a serious face.

ps. as for luck. No team wins every game. All you can do is put your self in the best position to do so. So far, the formation that the coach has employed has worked flawlessly.

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

metalalloy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:20 am

You are seriously comparing stats from a 1st group stage match vs a semi finals bout? :shock:

I honestly think you are truly trolling. I commend you to your dedication to the bit because there is no way you are making these arguments you make with a serious face.

ps. as for luck. No team wins every game. All you can do is put your self in the best position to do so. So far, the formation that the coach has employed has worked flawlessly.
You are making silly excuses.

Ok let's look at a first round game vs Guinea Bissau where we used 343

Nigeria 1.31 to GB 1.4

They even had a higher XG

So with 433 it's 2.8 with 343 it's 1.31

Anybody who cannot spot that we played our best match with the 433 does not know football.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

metalalloy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:20 am

:tic:
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

metalalloy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:58 am

VERY VERY POOR.

2. MIn 23:51: Freekick from lookman into the box that Ajayi headed and saved by Williams.
8: Min 92: Through pass from Chukwueze to Lookman on the left, shot by lookman parried away by Williams
9: Min 100: Break in the middle, pass from Lookman to Osimhen, beat one and took a laser shot saved by Williams
11. Min 111: sick Through ball from (Chukwueze? Kelechi?) to Moffi. Moffi hacked down

Don’t forget the beautifully laid off ball to Onyeka at the top of the Bafana box. He had time to pick his spot but produced a comical shot that completely missed the target

Wha choo looking at?!
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

metalalloy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:30 am
donadoni wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:09 am What if we did the unexpected and played 4-4-2 in the final?

Vic Moffi
Moses Iwobi Tank Lookman
Bassey Ekong Ajayi Aina
Highly unlikely to happen and makes zero sense IMO.
It makes sense because our defense will still be strong, Moses and Lookman can track back, but Vic will not be isolated and limited to headers. He can actually have a strike partner and we can try and be more offensive - instead of banking on 1-0 victories which can always go wrong in a split second as we saw today
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

VERY VERY POOR.

Which game did you watch? In the game I watched Iwobi wasnt doing any dirty work, his off the ball marking movement was poor, I don't remember him doing a single tackle! Infact he was the main creative outlet in our team. Iwobi to me is not a 90 min player talkless of a 120 min player, once he gets tired he loses concentration and starts misplacing passes here and there, that's why he was taken off.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:49 am
metalalloy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:58 am

VERY VERY POOR.

Don’t forget the beautifully laid off ball to Onyeka at the top of the Bafana box. He had time to pick his spot but produced a comical shot that completely missed the target
Very embarrassing.
We are not supposed to witness shots like that at the top level of football.
Wild shots and wild clearances really remind us that some of our players need to be even better to enable us compete at the very top.

Remember also the low carpeter from Osimhen from a similar position that the SA ‘keeper did well to save.
Now that was a shot.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I blasted this Amapiano beauty today in my car at work and my South African friends were pissed :thumbs:

Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

metalalloy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:29 am
Ugbowo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:34 am What is this Cybereagles becoming?

3-4-3 got you here. No goals conceded. YOU ABSOLUTELY had to continue it. Now SA came with a fantastic tactical plan and our wide forwards were not dropping into the second block on time. That got fixed after the first water break.

His subs were very good except the Yusuf for Iwobi. I thought that was waaayyy too early. I also thought Yusuf is just not tactically dicsci[lined. He runs around ALOT and tries to man mark everybody everywhere, you will get passed around and you will commit fouls. He'll need to learn positional discipline.
Onyeka was getting stretched all over the place. I need to rewatch the game again, but Iwobi wasn’t helping him much either defensively. I recall two desperation tackles by Ajayi that saved our blushes after turnovers in the middle. I also agree that the staff made adjustments especially in the second half as they stopped our players from chasing the South Africans aimlessly in their half exposing our backline to the high ball.

I agree that Yusuf was just passed around easily. Thankfully CIV doesnt play that same style as SA does. Iwobi certainly starts the final (barrring injury), but I don’t think Yusuf will be as ineffective as he was today if he has to play.
Problem is not Onyeka…or the formation. It’s basically Osayi - The SA Boss noted the weakness early and moved Tau on him….

Osayi playing there, made that Aina had to move left and went from our best player to Probably the worst…

The coach did nothing

That stretched Ajayi and Onyeka had to repeatedly cover him….

For the final, Omeruo comes in for Osayi and Aina plays RWB and Bassey LWB
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

The annals of antiquity are decorated with honours for the most ardent pragmatists. Greece conquered Europe averaging half a shot from open play and a Trojan horse from setpieces. Mourinho’s Inter gave Barcelona the house, as far possession is concerned, but kept the door keys.

As ugly as it may be, it’s been beautiful enough to get an average Nigeria side to the final. The tactic works well with the players at hand, a solid rearguard, a big galoot up top to occupy the centrebacks and all the argie-bargie needed in the middle.

At first there were many, now there are two. By hook, crook or a voodoo beyond Haiti’s wildest imagination in the case of CIV, the two most worthy warriors, the contests greatest gladiators arrive in the colosseum. To change the shape now for Cyberian brownie points would be utter madness. 3-4-3, 5-4-1, low block, high block, own goals, no shots, if they stumble over the line or salter, ‘tis only the name that graces the trophy no tale of how t’was won.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

packerland wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:53 am
aruako1 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:10 am
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:18 am
aruako1 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:13 am

VERY VERY POOR.

Your comment on BigSoccer for oyibos. No swearing, no cursing, no death wishes (https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/2023- ... 583/page-9)
Nigeria vs CIV final.

The match I wanted.

After CIV qualified for the knockout rounds by a hair, this was the final I predicted. I knew they could beat Senegal, and once they got past them only they could stop themselves.

From the outset I predicted CIV to win
Are you happy with a cowardly approach against SOUTH AFRICA of all teams ?
You seemed happy when you were communicating with oyibo where apparently you are a reasonable forumer - no cursing, no death wishes. You know they will fling your #$% out if you try it. So you reserve your uncouth, irresponsible comments for CE where the moderation is more lax.
😂 😂 😂 😂

CE is his home now. My younger brother is loud to me and my parents like we’re some peasants but is an angel to his friends & co-workers.
Your younger brother doesn't wish you death at home. He is just badly behaved because our moderating is lax and he has to twerk for oyinbo.
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

VERY VERY POOR.

dis guy ur chest beating after every game is unnecessary and u never get it right ever maybe it's a tactic for u in dat wen u say the wrong things it actually comes right and deep down u're happy. Guy just wait till after tourney is done and you can prep ur dessertation cos 343 is working right no. ṢE is in the final and u're just blabbing anyhow, go and celebrate jàre
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^It’s a page torn from the Danfobian school of casuistry. If they win, it was a poor tournament lacking quality, evidenced by its final being contested by a Nigeria outplayed by Springboks and an elephant with more lives than Garfield and Heathcliff combined.

If they lose, well, all were warned of the perils of the 3-4-3.

The only antidote is for Ivory Coast to switch to 3-5-2, have fewer shots and score an own goal. Of course then the issue will be the spelling of the 3-5-2, in French it’s too subtle.
Last edited by Coach on Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:58 pm
olu wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:45 pm I agree to some extent. I like 3 in the back cos it helps cover the lack of pace of our CBs, but also think we need 3 in the middle to help us keep the ball further up the pitch. That's why I'm advocating for 3-5-2.
I've been saying 352 for years. It is so clear this is our best formation.

343 against stronger or equal teams fine.

But I cannot accept coward football against INFERIOR opponents.

And I cannot accept that Peseiro did not think to alter his formation in search of goals.

And I absolutely cannot accept our most creative player being asked to do the work of a brick layer. WTF is Peseiro thinking.
All things being equal, formations don’t win football matches. Intensity, determination and a sense of purpose do🤔❗️

Cheers.