Crystal Palace interested in Raphael Onyedika and Wilfred Ndidi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Crystal Palace interested in Raphael Onyedika and Wilfred Ndidi

Post by danfo driver »

waka-man wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:57 pm
bushboy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:58 pm ^^^
You rate Finidi based on what? The fact that his team was dominated by a 10-man Ghana team in the second half? Or that they lost to Mali?
If Finidi was so good, why did he not replicate his coaching at the African level? Eyimba were disgraced when they stepped up to continental level. And this is the man you want to lead you to WORLD level? I laff.

You ask what the coaches that coach at a top 5 league accomplished? Lol...so coaching at the highest level of football in itself is not an accomplishment?

I saw the new Crystal Palace coach lead his team to beat Liverpool while playing some beautiful football, and you expect me not rate that kind of coach higher than another man who team is beating Pleateu united? C'mon man! Be serious!!
De Zerbi and Finidi don’t belong in the same sentence.

One is a champions league and Afcon winner who graced some of the best leagues in the world.

One was a journeyman player who most successful stint was playing 30 or so games over 4 years at Napoli.

The latter’s coaching career has similarly taken him to such as Darfo and Forggia.

The latter won his national league and has been an assistant for the AFCON finalists with the country in question.

Folks will pull out bad games as if De Zerbi has never had a bad game.

Finidi is a better manager for Nigeria, at least on paper. t’s not even close.
1. I like the aggression of De Zerbi's team and the fantastic football his team played prior to the injuries.

2. I liked Finidi and wanted him to be SE coach more than 2 years ago. His stint with Peseiro has soured him for me.

However, its an insult to Finidi to compare him to De Zerbi who has won NOTHING, had a wretched playing career, and the biggest club he has ever coach is Donestk. At Brighton, he is humiliated often, getting beat up and down with large scores.

He has only won a 3rd division knockout cup and a Ukranian Super Cup, but the football intellectuals wax about him like he is Carlo Ancelotti. :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ahidjo2 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:37 pm
Bell wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:18 am YOU COACH THE PLAYERS YOU HAVE George coached the players he has just like the other gentlemen mentioned. Coaching in a top flight league doesn't make you superior to someone coaching in a lesser league, after all, in neither league is the coach doing the playing. The flawed theory is that anyone coaching in Europe is intellectually superior to anyone coaching in a lesser league. If that is applied to players, no one in the NIgerian league would be in Europe.

It's like a secretary who's paid a lot because that secretary works in a highly regarded company whereas an equally competent secretary working in a less sophisticated company is paid much less. It's sometimes a matter of environment, not qualification. I'm afraid some of these people who hold this attitude are in a hiring position, they would not hire, say, a doctor from Nigeria because she/he had only worked in lesser hospitals.

George has the advantages of being a Nigerian, knowing Nigeria and Nigerians (plus Africa to boot) and I'm sure he's played at a much higher level of world football than the recommended coaches. Those should count for something. That said, better or not, I want George to be Nigeria's coach and if not him, then another Nigerian.

If those coaches are "young and hungry" as alleged, let them find a restaurant.
Bell
Oga, you are contradicting yourself. Why is it called "top flight"? Why did you use "lesser league"? What makes one top flight, lesser? They just hire any coach or player? Your analogies and illustrations get as dem be, poor. I'm truly curious to know the type of environment that most commenters on the forum operate in. You see, when one has lived and spent most or all of one's life in a disjointed, disorganized or structureless environment, the likelihood that one's communications, actions and behavior will reflect such environments is always high. It is completely bizarre to see some of the comments here that are completely illogical and irrational. Someone wakes up and tells us that just because America has higher GDP, higher employment rates, lower poverty, less corruption... does not make America better than Nigeria economically. And we are supposed to even debate this? So much pseudo intellectualism flying around here.
De Zerbi was coaching in Ukraine, a lesser league, when the top flight league, EPL's Brighton, came for him. Same as Ten Hag, who was at the lesser Dutch league, when United came for him.

How do you think Finidi, a league winner in the lesser league, will perform if a top flight EPL team came for him? Better or worse than De Zerbi - Mr. finishing 10th - and Ten Hag, Mr. finishing 8th?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:18 pm
You rate Finidi based on what? The fact that his team was dominated by a 10-man Ghana team in the second half? Or that they lost to Mali?
If Finidi was so good, why did he not replicate his coaching at the African level? Eyimba were disgraced when they stepped up to continental level. And this is the man you want to lead you to WORLD level? I laff.

You ask what the coaches that coach at a top 5 league accomplished? Lol...so coaching at the highest level of football in itself is not an accomplishment?

I saw the new Crystal Palace coach lead his team to beat Liverpool while playing some beautiful football, and you expect me not rate that kind of coach higher than another man who team is beating Pleateu united? C'mon man! Be serious!!

One is a champions league and Afcon winner who graced some of the best leagues in the world.

One was a journeyman player who most successful stint was playing 30 or so games over 4 years at Napoli.

The latter’s coaching career has similarly taken him to such as Darfo and Forggia.

The latter won his national league and has been an assistant for the AFCON finalists with the country in question.

1. I like the aggression of De Zerbi's team and the fantastic football his team played prior to the injuries.

2. I liked Finidi and wanted him to be SE coach more than 2 years ago. His stint with Peseiro has soured him for me.

However, its an insult to Finidi to compare him to De Zerbi who has won NOTHING, had a wretched playing career, and the biggest club he has ever coach is Donestk. At Brighton, he is humiliated often, getting beat up and down with large scores.

He has only won a 3rd division knockout cup and a Ukranian Super Cup, but the football intellectuals wax about him like he is Carlo Ancelotti. :oops:

RDZ's football speaks for itself. There's a reason he's highly regarded in football going all the way back to his days at Sassaulo in Serie A.

Yes Finidi played at a much higher level and it would be an insult to compare RDZ to him

However, it is equally ridiculous to compare the levels both are currently coaching, with all due respects to Finidi winning the NPFL, that does not rank as high even in W. Africa!

With time, and the opportunity of leading the SE, hopefully Finidi can stamp his model of the game decisively in world football and win the trophies that RDZ can only dream of.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:42 pm

RDZ's football speaks for itself. There's a reason he's highly regarded in football going all the way back to his days at Sassaulo in Serie A.

Yes Finidi played at a much higher level and it would be an insult to compare RDZ to him

However, it is equally ridiculous to compare the levels both are currently coaching, with all due respects to Finidi winning the NPFL, that does not rank as high even in W. Africa!

With time, and the opportunity of leading the SE, hopefully Finidi can stamp his model of the game decisively in world football and win the trophies that RDZ can only dream of.
You and I agree.

However, I do not think anyone has compared the levels. I think people have simply said De Zerbi has won NOTHING, and he is not the name to list when you want to list top coaches. Let him learn to win first - which hopefully he learns to do if he moves this summer.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:47 pm
txj wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:42 pm

You and I agree.

However, I do not think anyone has compared the levels. I think people have simply said De Zerbi has won NOTHING, and he is not the name to list when you want to list top coaches. Let him learn to win first - which hopefully he learns to do if he moves this summer.

He is a top coach and the mere fact of winning or not winning a trophy is not a sufficient basis for determining who is or not a top coach.

If that were the case, I then ask you- why do you danfo driver not consider Rafa Benitez a top coach? :smile: :smile:

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:50 pm

He is a top coach and the mere fact of winning or not winning a trophy is not a sufficient basis for determining who is or not a top coach.

If that were the case, I then ask you- why do you danfo driver not consider Rafa Benitez a top coach? :smile: :smile:

I am sorry, I cant agree with you. My position on CE has always been clear and shared by Don Fabio - one of the greatest coaches of all time. Winning is supreme for me and I will NEVER compromise that. Unfortunately, our fanbase has completely lost its way. How deeply saddening that this is where Nigeria Super Eagles fans are. How deeply sad. :oops:

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:02 pm

I am sorry, I cant agree with you. My position on CE has always been clear and shared by Don Fabio - one of the greatest coaches of all time. Winning is supreme for me and I will NEVER compromise that. Unfortunately, our fanbase has completely lost its way. How deeply saddening that this is where Nigeria Super Eagles fans are. How deeply sad. :oops:

Yes, you play to win.

And yes, you can comment on the highlighted :rotf: :rotf:

But winning ALONE is NOT SUFFICIENT to make you a top coach.
Just like winning alone is not sufficient to make you a top player...

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:17 pm

Yes, you play to win.

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bell wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:18 am.

George has the advantages of being a Nigerian, knowing Nigeria and Nigerians (plus Africa to boot) and I'm sure he's played at a much higher level of world football than the recommended coaches. Those should count for something. That said, better or not, I want George to be Nigeria's coach and if not him, then another Nigerian.

Bell
So playing at a higher level counts for something, but coaching at a higher level counts for nothing.
See pick & choose logic. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I’m a fan of Finidi strictly based on his playing pedigree, but I wouldn’t stretch the manager logic too far.
For now, we are living on good faith.
Sentiment can only get us so far. Let’s pray it turns out to be far enough.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

danfo driver wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:21 pm
txj wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:17 pm

Yes, you play to win.

above and this, two of my favorite clips, common theme, winners, winning.

Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

King Futcha wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:10 pm

Thanks bro!

Unfortunately, our fanbase has been decimated! the loser mentality has sipped in over the last 6 years and we are finished! :oops:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Queenie, please remind us how these motivational speakers fared.

Are they still coaching?

Or are they busy selling insurance and on the motivational speaker route? :D :taunt:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Motivational speaker job na to motivate others. :D
Cellular wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:22 pm

Are they still coaching?

Or are they busy selling insurance and on the motivational speaker route? :D :taunt:
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Are they still coaching?

the likes of your generation, well at least the age you are claiming, weren't ready to be held accountable by brothers. they will listen to that white man but not the brothers, unfortunate.
Saints baby we did it
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

King Futcha wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:25 pm

Are they still coaching?

the likes of your generation, well at least the age you are claiming, weren't ready to be held accountable by brothers. they will listen to that white man but not the brothers, unfortunate.
Queenie, the age of hollering and threatening grown folks to do as you tell them don over sinceeeee.
You can't holler and threaten grown folks to do anything.
Used to work when folks worked paycheck to paycheck as professional athletes.
Now, we got contracts. And if I don't like the way you talk to me, you will be fired.
People come to see the players not the coaches.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Cellular wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:35 pm
King Futcha wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:25 pm

Are they still coaching?

Queenie, the age of hollering and threatening grown folks to do as you tell them don over sinceeeee.
You can't holler and threaten grown folks to do anything.
Used to work when folks worked paycheck to paycheck as professional athletes.
Now, we got contracts. And if I don't like the way you talk to me, you will be fired.
People come to see the players not the coaches.
coach pop would disagree but i believe i wrote those guys were from a different era and not your era mr president, respectfully.
Saints baby we did it
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

danfo driver wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:24 pm Motivational speaker job na to motivate others. :D
Bros, it is hard these days to get to these guys and keep them tuned in.
They get coaches fired regularly.
They know they have the power.

Winning consistently these days takes a lot. Why I am a fan of Pep, who is doing it in the UK, and Andy Reid, who is finding ways to relate with the modern athlete.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

King Futcha wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:40 pm
coach pop would disagree but i believe i wrote those guys were from a different era and not your era mr president, respectfully.
In my generation, people earned stuff. No one gave you anything. It is not based on what fans think or the number of followers you have on social media.

You won't be seeing no guy getting jersey because he plays for some fancy club but can't making routine passes or carry ball wire for throw-in.
Trapping and controlling any ball na routine. Yes, even for potato and yam patch.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Damunk wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:37 pm
Bell wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:18 am.

Bell
So playing at a higher level counts for something, but coaching at a higher level counts for nothing.
See pick & choose logic. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I’m a fan of Finidi strictly based on his playing pedigree, but I wouldn’t stretch the manager logic too far.
For now, we are living on good faith.
Sentiment can only get us so far. Let’s pray it turns out to be far enough.
WITHOUT KNOWING IT...you're agreeing with me. The post I responded to implied that the listed coaches are better because they COACH at a higher league. And my response was that PLAYING at a higher level also counted for something in favor of Mr George.
Bell