“There was chaos” – Amokachi advised to support Finidi, avoid a repeat of Amunike-Eguavoen disaster

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
“There was chaos” – Amokachi advised to support Finidi, avoid a repeat of Amunike-Eguavoen disaster

Post by iworo »

Former AS Monaco striker Victor Ikpeba has urged Daniel Amokachi to throw his full support behind Super Eagles head coach Finidi George for the success of the team, Soccernet.ng reports.

Finidi was unveiled as the new head coach of the national team with Amokachi named as one of his assistants.

The two retired footballers were key members of Nigeria’s Golden Generation that won the Africa Cup of Nations in 1994 and qualified for the World Cup for the first time.

However, while Finidi only kicked off his coaching career three years ago, Amokachi has put together a decent CV over the last 18 years.

Amokachi has been Super Eagles’ assistant coach on three different occasions, including winning the 2013 AFCON as Stephen Keshi’s deputy.

The former Club Brugge forward was also the Super Eagles’ caretaker coach between 2014 and 2015 and can potentially boast a better track record than his new boss.

However, Ikpeba has urged Amokachi to recognise Finidi as the number-one man and avoid the repeat of the ugly scenario that developed when Emmanuel Amunike was asked to assist Augustine Eguavoen in 2022.

Nigeria failed to qualify for the 2022 World Cup with Eguavoen and Amunike in charge.
“The boss is Finidi,” Ikpeba said as per Score Nigeria.

“Amokachi should support his former teammate and there has to be trust between them.

“Three years ago, there was chaos among the coaches when (Emmanuel) Amuneke came in to assist (Augustine) Eguavoen before the 2022 World Cup playoffs against Ghana.”
Finidi’s primary assignment is to help Nigeria qualify for the 2026 FIFA World Cup to be co-hosted by the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

NB: Can ego allow Amokachi to support Finidi better than Amunike supported Eguavoen? Leave your comments below.

https://soccernet.ng/2024/05/there-was- ... aster.html
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: “There was chaos” – Amokachi advised to support Finidi, avoid a repeat of Amunike-Eguavoen disaster

Post by ohenhen1 »

There will be plenty of work for Amokachi to do. But if I am Finidi I will closely watch him. The guy was as an advisor to Buhari. He has a lot of political friends. Benjamin James would be my first assistant. But I will make sure Amokachi is involved not sidelined like Yobo.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: “There was chaos” – Amokachi advised to support Finidi, avoid a repeat of Amunike-Eguavoen disaster

Post by danfo driver »

Gotta admit, even though I am not a fan of Amuneke - the person - it seems someone is out to destroy him and his reputation. I wonder why
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ohenhen1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:23 pm There will be plenty of work for Amokachi to do. But if I am Finidi I will closely watch him. The guy was as an advisor to Buhari. He has a lot of political friends. Benjamin James would be my first assistant. But I will make sure Amokachi is involved not sidelined like Yobo.
Ohenhen1

You have stated it all. Dis arrangement get as I'm be, tbh.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

danfo driver wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:54 pm Gotta admit, even though I am not a fan of Amuneke - the person - it seems someone is out to destroy him and his reputation. I wonder why
I really want SE to do well again. Finidi has a fantastic football mind. I am pumped about his era. Amokachi and co will get their turn…supporting finidi would be good for “local” coaches.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ANC wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:08 am
danfo driver wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:54 pm Gotta admit, even though I am not a fan of Amuneke - the person - it seems someone is out to destroy him and his reputation. I wonder why
I really want SE to do well again. Finidi has a fantastic football mind. I am pumped about his era. Amokachi and co will get their turn…supporting finidi would be good for “local” coaches.
ANC

As human nature goes, the arrangement will be a difficult one given Amokachi's personality and connections. I see a tense atmosphere and a combustible one.

Amokachi will be thinking: I am better than this guy, who does he think he is, I started managing national team before him, he was my junior in the national team, etc.

Left for me, Amokachi along with Amuneke, should not be part of the crew.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Enugu II wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:46 am
ANC

As human nature goes, the arrangement will be a difficult one given Amokachi's personality and connections. I see a tense atmosphere and a combustible one.

Amokachi will be thinking: I am better than this guy, who does he think he is, I started managing national team before him, he was my junior in the national team, etc.

Left for me, Amokachi along with Amuneke, should not be part of the crew.

I agree 100%. I would be surprised if he’s the one that actually picked Amokachi.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

I believe many of these stories are rubbish because in 2022 our failures were fine margins from the desired successes. If we had progressed in the AFCON and qualified, there would have been no reports of "chaos"
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

aruako1 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:58 am
I believe many of these stories are rubbish because in 2022 our failures were fine margins from the desired successes. If we had progressed in the AFCON and qualified, there would have been no reports of "chaos"
Yea, thats what I am saying. Someone is planting these stories in the press to destroy Amuneke, turn fans against him and destroy and destroy any chance he ever has of coaching the SE. I wonder why.

When you add these stories to Oloye's comment that Amuneke believes he has enemies in the NFF, it seems it adds up.

I wonder sha
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Why dont those dum dums just let Finidi pick his assistants? Why impose Amokachi on him???
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

bret- hart wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:05 am Why dont those dum dums just let Finidi pick his assistants? Why impose Amokachi on him???
no way Finidi picked him.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Amokachi has had more than enough chances to make his mark as a manager. He hasn’t excelled anywhere as far as I know. And he hasn’t humbled himself to the point of managing a local side like Finidi has.

He might be football royalty from his days as a player, but as a manager he’s a classical ‘journeyman’.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Amokachi’s appointment is political
I am happy
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

This is just the beginning. Look for federal character to be introduced to selecting SE coach like we do with politics. The North will soon claim its their turn to coach SE after Finidi. It'll lead to regional rotation of coaches .
OCCUPY NFF!!
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

Could Amokachi's role be to light the fire under these set of players who don't get what it means to wear the jersey apart from social media utterances?

Subtle hint to the players to rekindle the determination, and intensity he embodied? Maybe things might just rub off 1, 2 or all of them?
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

OJI wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:50 pm Could Amokachi's role be to light the fire under these set of players who don't get what it means to wear the jersey apart from social media utterances?

Subtle hint to the players to rekindle the determination, and intensity he embodied? Maybe things might just rub off 1, 2 or all of them?

well, he was the assistant when Keshi was incharge
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

OJI wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:50 pm Could Amokachi's role be to light the fire under these set of players who don't get what it means to wear the jersey apart from social media utterances?

You mean the players that defied injury and put their careers at risk playing for the country in AFCON?
I am happy
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

There's absolutely no reason to appoint Amokachi as Finidi's assistant.
His huge overflated ego may not allow him listen to Finidi.
These are the type of assistants that will plot the downfall of the main coach so that they can take over.
For me, it's a wrong appointment.
If they must appoint one for him, they could have appointed another good manager from the league.
What exactly is Amokachi's pedigree in coaching?? He's better off an analyst.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

naijaguy wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:21 pm There's absolutely no reason to appoint Amokachi as Finidi's assistant.
These are the type of assistants that will plot the downfall of the main coach so that they can take over.
If they must appoint one for him, they could have appointed another good manager from the league.
It is based on the idea that you do not want to hurt someone's feeling ..."settlement." This really hurts the team and we will hear about it in the future. Bad move!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Dammy wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:52 am Amokachi’s appointment is political
Kpom!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

HATE TO PILE ON WITHOUT KNOWING THE TRUTH, SO...I'll leave the Amokachi bashing to others. For all we know he might be there with the best of intentions. It's even conceivable that George selected him out of options offered or put in a good word for him. That said, there's a reason why a coach gets to choose or have a big say as to his assistants.
Bell
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

naijaguy wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:21 pm There's absolutely no reason to appoint Amokachi as Finidi's assistant.
In as much as I don’t really see the need for Amokachi in there, it is not because his ‘pedigree’ is any worse than other Nigerian coaches touted for the role of SE coach.
It’s been said times without number that we don’t really have Nigerian coaches with the so-called pedigree we keep demanding.
So with him, ‘pedigree’ is not the problem.
Seems people don’t really like him for some reason.
The so-called ‘loudmouth’ was not called a loudmouth when he was dancing and putting Nigeria’s name on the world map as a national and club player.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

Speculations Speculations!!

I am yet to see one tangible evidence to prove Finidi didn’t want/request for Amokachi.

Let’s deal with facts and not feelings.

Finidi and Amokachi were teammates, we don’t know how close they were on & off the field. How do we know Amokachi did not Lobby Finidi to have him as one of his assistants and not a direct imposition by the NFF?
Peter Obi For President 2023