Afcon 2025 moved to December

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Afcon 2025 moved to December

Post by King Futcha »

Damunk wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:33 am I really don’t know what the argument here is.
that is very apparent.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Go back and read all your posts on this thread and you will see that you are the one arguing in the empty room. Not one poster has agreed with your positions here. That's as empty a room as they come.

Even after I showed that more than 80% of the players that play at AFCON do not play in Europe, you still insist on saying you are talking about players and the "factors" they have to consider. And when I listed players that play in Europe that seem not to have the concerns you raised, you said they are not representative of all players in Europe. So, which phantom players and which phantom factors are you talking about?
Damunk wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:33 am I see why they say you can start an argument in an empty room.
I really don’t know what the argument here is.
1. You have conceded you don’t know whether they “worry” about it or not because it’s obvious you haven’t even considered enquiring.
2. I’ve told you I spoke to an African ex EPL player on this and other things and he gave his own experience as part of a wider experience he expanded on. Why do you readily ignore that? At least I have gone beyond just going on my feelings, or the feelings of only those that share my pov. I actually hope to speak with more of such people.
But you basically dismiss all that in your ultimate wisdom because you feel lit doesn’t fit your own narrative.

Then you make the giant leap of stating I would want to shift the AFCON “because of the EPL” and an “approval from Europe” :blink:
When did I get into that aspect of the discussion with you or anyone else? All my posts on this thread have been about players and the factors they have to consider when featuring in AFCON. I don’t know where you got your strawmen from, but no be me.

So I think we need to end it here and allow you enjoy your echo chamber.
Because none of what you are saying indicates you are willing or able to engage or appreciate anything other than your own PoV.

1naija wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:15 pm And how do you know they worry about it? The AFCON brand is growing. Its growth is not dependent on approval from Europe. Majority of the players that play in the tournament do not play in major clubs or leagues in Europe. It's only you EPL fans that worry about when AFCON is played.

How many top European club players play for Equatorial Guinea that topped our group? How many EPL players play for Guinea-Bissau, Cape Verde, Mozambique, Guinea, Gambia, Angola, Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia, Tanzania, DR Congo? Yet you want AFCON to adjust its schedule to accommodate EPL eventhough majority of the players that play in the tournament don't play in the EPL or in top clubs in Europe.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

And one more thing, Damunkey. Do you remember that almost all our players at this past AFCON got rousing receptions at their clubs when they got back?. Some of the clubs even displayed Nigerian flag colors in support of the players. If the schedule was such a problem, why would the clubs go to such an extent to support the players? It's only teams fighting relegation that complain about losing players.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:54 pm Like I said, we are looking at all this strictly as fans.
For us, we are the most important ‘player’ in all this. This is all about our entertainment.

But has anyone ever asked what another important player - the professional African footballer himself - would prefer?
It’s their livelihood after all.
What do you guys reckon their preference would be?

Note the word ‘preference’.

I’m not asking what they would do or are already doing.
Damunk

As already pointed out to you, few players are impacted by this when you consider the totality of players at AFCON. Moreover, even the players you mention see AFCON as hiving them visibility for better contracts.

In any case, it is not just about players and fans. AFCON is the key tournament that funds development of African football. Playing it in the summer will put ut on collusion road against some other international tourneys which ultimately impacts revenue earning. Should Africa sacrifice that because of impact on a few players?

Unfortunately, CAF has often bent over to many times to Europe's demands even on detrimental terns to African interests.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:33 am I see why they say you can start an argument in an empty room.
1. You have conceded you don’t know whether they “worry” about it or not because it’s obvious you haven’t even considered enquiring.
2. I’ve told you I spoke to an African ex EPL player on this and other things and he gave his own experience as part of a wider experience he expanded on. Why do you readily ignore that? At least I have gone beyond just going on my feelings, or the feelings of only those that share my pov. I actually hope to speak with more of such people.
But you basically dismiss all that in your ultimate wisdom because you feel lit doesn’t fit your own narrative.

Then you make the giant leap of stating I would want to shift the AFCON “because of the EPL” and an “approval from Europe” :blink:
When did I get into that aspect of the discussion with you or anyone else? All my posts on this thread have been about players and the factors they have to consider when featuring in AFCON. I don’t know where you got your strawmen from, but no be me.

Because none of what you are saying indicates you are willing or able to engage or appreciate anything other than your own PoV.

1naija wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:15 pm And how do you know they worry about it? The AFCON brand is growing. Its growth is not dependent on approval from Europe. Majority of the players that play in the tournament do not play in major clubs or leagues in Europe. It's only you EPL fans that worry about when AFCON is played.

How many top European club players play for Equatorial Guinea that topped our group? How many EPL players play for Guinea-Bissau, Cape Verde, Mozambique, Guinea, Gambia, Angola, Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia, Tanzania, DR Congo? Yet you want AFCON to adjust its schedule to accommodate EPL eventhough majority of the players that play in the tournament don't play in the EPL or in top clubs in Europe.
It is mostly about the fans, not the players. That is why we have Christmas fixtures in the Premier League even though the players prefer a break then.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

It is mostly about the fans, not the players. That is why we have Christmas fixtures in the Premier League even though the players prefer a break then.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

1naija wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:23 am And one more thing, Damunkey. Do you remember that almost all our players at this past AFCON got rousing receptions at their clubs when they got back?. Some of the clubs even displayed Nigerian flag colors in support of the players. If the schedule was such a problem, why would the clubs go to such an extent to support the players? It's only teams fighting relegation that complain about losing players.
he won't be back, we need this kind of forward thinking as we head to the sec
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

We will now have access to the same pro players that Alabama had all these years. The playing field is now equal.
King Futcha wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:22 pm
1naija wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:23 am And one more thing, Damunkey. Do you remember that almost all our players at this past AFCON got rousing receptions at their clubs when they got back?. Some of the clubs even displayed Nigerian flag colors in support of the players. If the schedule was such a problem, why would the clubs go to such an extent to support the players? It's only teams fighting relegation that complain about losing players.
he won't be back, we need this kind of forward thinking as we head to the sec