Europa League Final : Lookman vs Boniface & Tella ( 3-0) Lookman x3

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Europa League Final : Lookman vs Boniface & Tella ( 3-0) Lookman x3

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:13 am
anointed wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:26 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:30 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:28 pm Lookman is a GEM, our best player by some miles.
Yes he is. I'd also add Iwobi in the mix.

Do you remember when almost this entire forum was hating on Lookman ?

They said he was useless and shouldn't be on the team.

Well he came good at afcon and was our best player along with Ekong.

I have been shrining Lookman for 5 years.
He was useless when he was useless.

Or when SE shirt did he do this kind of fearless take-ons before.
I don't know man, looking back with the benefit of hindsight, was his uselessness down to poor coaching?
He was played mostly as a winger in a 442.

He can be a winger in a 433 where he is more central or a SS in a 352 or 343.
Umaysee
Egg
Egg

Post by Umaysee »

VE, What did Finidi do to you? Leave the man alone joor! 😡
Psalm 16:7
I will bless the Lord, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons.
KJV
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

icee wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:44 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:40 pm Should lookman move to Epl if it's not one of the big 5? Atlanta will be in the CL next yr, might be worth staying instead of moving to a West Ham or a mid table Epl team. No?
I'd rather he stays in Atlanta. Look at how he strikes the ball - knows exactly what he is doing - very technical player.
It’s the way he strikes the ball for me.
I brought up this point some months ago, lamenting how we don’t seem to have players who can ‘hit that thing’ from outside the box.
Lookman obviously doesn’t have that problem.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:28 pm Lookman is a GEM, our best player by some miles.

I don't know man, looking back with the benefit of hindsight, was his uselessness down to poor coaching?
Dont mind them o.
He was never useless.
People are just too quick to condemn for non-footballing reasons.
For example, notice how nobody calls Nwakali ‘useless’.
Go figure.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Quietly goes about his business. All very well taken dispatches. The first, easily overlooked for its lack of grated cassava, boiled, stirred and served, however, the finish, spectacular. The opening up of his body and precision, textbook stuff. A far more arduous a task than most might assume.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:09 am

He was always played as a wide player, not a winger. And that's the position he played yesterday.

I consider wingers to be in the mould of Edobor, Elahor, Owolabi.

Truth is that Lookman has grown. I hope his performance yesterday wasn't a one-off. He was clinical, aggressive, bold and confident yesterday. No showboating, which used to be a key part of his game even though he might not have known it. He was taking on crowded defence like he never used to do. How many times has he scored hat tricks before? If he continues like that, messing up defenders and shooting with precision, velocity and ferocity, then Lookman arrived yesterday.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Europa League Final : Lookman vs Boniface & Tella ( 2-0) Lookman x2

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:45 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:40 pm
danfo driver wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:35 pm Interestingly, Leverkusen would have scored a couple of goals, at least, in the first half, if they played with a "focal point." That tactics was quite disappointing and the funny part is that its not a surprise -- not even close. This has happened over the last 1 month of the season.
Indeed. You know better than Alonso. Which website did u get your coaching sabuticate?
Alonso has changed his tactics and done what I asked. Considering you are brainless, which website did you sell your brain?

The views above have been commonplace since the end of this game.

On the contrary, I thought it was a mistake by Alonso to bring on Boniface.
He was in effect addressing the effect and not the cause of his problems.

I thought his initial game plan of a false striker was sound thinking, given Atalanta's man-oriented press.

The problem was in the midfield- specifically central MF in the 2nd build up phase, which Atalanta attacked with piranha style intensity, and badly exposed Xhaka.

Without control in the 2nd build-up phase, Bayer was forced to proceed to the third- to Wirtz and Adli, too soon, hurried, and ALWAYS without the technical ball, which would further play into the hands of Atalanta, as we saw with the 2nd goal...

That's why even the entry of Boniface never registered beyond a faint blip on the Richter scale...

For me some of this equally comes down to how you define a pivot. Is he baked in stone? Stationary, immovable...Or is he simply a concept defined in time and shifting space....

But I digress.

For me the Bayer loss was defined by the limitations of structured control and a Swiss cheese named Xhaka!
Last edited by txj on Thu May 23, 2024 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Damunk wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:29 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:40 pm Should lookman move to Epl if it's not one of the big 5? Atlanta will be in the CL next yr, might be worth staying instead of moving to a West Ham or a mid table Epl team. No?
I'd rather he stays in Atlanta. Look at how he strikes the ball - knows exactly what he is doing - very technical player.
I brought up this point some months ago, lamenting how we don’t seem to have players who can ‘hit that thing’ from outside the box.
1000%!!

Wha choo looking at?!
goke313
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by goke313 »

Damunk wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:29 am
Facts
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

anointed wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:10 pm

He was always played as a wide player, not a winger. And that's the position he played yesterday.

Truth is that Lookman has grown. I hope his performance yesterday wasn't a one-off. He was clinical, aggressive, bold and confident yesterday. No showboating, which used to be a key part of his game even though he might not have known it. He was taking on crowded defence like he never used to do. How many times has he scored hat tricks before? If he continues like that, messing up defenders and shooting with precision, velocity and ferocity, then Lookman arrived yesterday.

The key issue is where he receives the ball and where he makes his runs, especially in respect to the position of the central striker.

For the SE, until Peseiro at the AFCON, he has been used to run down the flanks in the manner of a traditional winger, which he's not.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

txj wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:03 pm

The key issue is where he receives the ball and where he makes his runs, especially in respect to the position of the central striker.

For the SE, until Peseiro at the AFCON, he has been used to run down the flanks in the manner of a traditional winger, which he's not.
That's why I distinguished him as a wide player from a traditional winger.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Atalanta player of the season last year who has also performed well this season for both club and country with 15 goals and 8 assists this season (5 in Europa Cup) for club, and 3 AFCON goals. How is the performance a one-off?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Lolly wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:56 pm

Atalanta player of the season last year who has also performed well this season for both club and country with 15 goals and 8 assists this season (5 in Europa Cup) for club, and 3 AFCON goals. How is the performance a one-off?
There's a reason why someone called it "the night of his life...the night of his dreams".

Has he scored a hat trick before? He scored more goals in a one-off final than in 10 other Europa League games.

Just imagine of he gets at least a brace each against SA and Benin. We need that confidence and shooting precision consistently in SE.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

anointed wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:46 pm
Lolly wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:56 pm

There's a reason why someone called it "the night of his life...the night of his dreams".

Has he scored a hat trick before? He scored more goals in a one-off final than in 10 other Europa League games.

Just imagine of he gets at least a brace each against SA and Benin. We need that confidence and shooting precision consistently in SE.
OK. If you are referring to the hat-trick in a Euro cup final, then it is a one-off and probably won't be repeated again.

He scored twice against Cameroon, so he can do the same against SA. No shaking!
Last edited by Lolly on Fri May 24, 2024 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Coach wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:46 am Quietly goes about his business. All very well taken dispatches. The first, easily overlooked for its lack of grated cassava, boiled, stirred and served, however, the finish, spectacular. The opening up of his body and precision, textbook stuff. A far more arduous a task than most might assume.
This person no sabi book at all. E no bright at all at all