Lookman and Boniface: Focusing on SE output.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Lookman and Boniface: Focusing on SE output.....

Post by Enugu II »

Both Victor Boniface and Ademola Lookman have both taken Europe by storm wearing their club shirts. That clearly puts them in the running for AFOY. In my opinion, and given criteria used by CAF they are both going to be top contenders.

My personal opinion is that CAF should not be using performance in European shirt for such award. However, that opinion, is just personal and certainly not the criteria used by CAF.

On SE? I believe Lookman has become a 110 player as I noted during the AFCON and playing centrally and not in a wide position. His performance at AFCON this year should solidify his no.1 status for AFOY.

Boniface, on the other hand, has done diddly for Nigeria just yet. However, he has potential given productivity as well as physical traits.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Lookman and Boniface: Focusing on SE output.....

Post by Bigpokey24 »

You are on your own. There is a CAF award for African based players. Ask CAF why that criteria isn't only based on African matches while wearing national teams kits?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:07 am You are on your own. There is a CAF award for African based players. Ask CAF why that criteria isn't only based on African matches while wearing national teams kits?
That is a different award as you noted for African based players. The AFOY should be for all players who perform for African teams - club or country. The issue is that the way it is currently, a player who does not play a minute for an African club or country could win the AFOY. in fact, it is not COULD. It happened with Sam Kuffour finishing second in a year that he did not play for a Ghaniaan club or Ghana.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Enugu II wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:23 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:07 am You are on your own. There is a CAF award for African based players. Ask CAF why that criteria isn't only based on African matches while wearing national teams kits?
That is a different award as you noted for African based players. The AFOY should be for all players who perform for African teams - club or country. The issue is that the way it is currently, a player who does not play a minute for an African club or country could win the AFOY. in fact, it is not COULD. It happened with Sam Kuffour finishing second in a year that he did not play for a Ghaniaan club or Ghana.
It says African Footballer of the year, it doesn't say African footballer of the year wearing their national kits
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Na wa for you bros. How many games has Boniface played for us that you say he has done diddly? Give the guy at least 10 games na.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Enugu II wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:46 am Both Victor Boniface and Ademola Lookman have both taken Europe by storm wearing their club shirts. That clearly puts them in the running for AFOY. In my opinion, and given criteria used by CAF they are both going to be top contenders.

My personal opinion is that CAF should not be using performance in European shirt for such award. However, that opinion, is just personal and certainly not the criteria used by CAF.

On SE? I believe Lookman has become a 110 player as I noted during the AFCON and playing centrally and not in a wide position. His performance at AFCON this year should solidify his no.1 status for AFOY.

Boniface, on the other hand, has done diddly for Nigeria just yet. However, he has potential given productivity as well as physical traits.
Once a player plays for an African national team, he or she should qualify based on club and national team football performances.

What I don't subscribe to is wholly or mainly basing the award on performance in Europe it or elsewhere alone. It should be like 60% for matches played for their national teams and 40% for clubs generally speaking. If the player is playing in Africa, it could be 65:35, as the way public procurement does local vendors marginal favour for domestic preference. If it's a WC year, it could be 70:30 and 75:25 in an AFCON year.

How silly would Africa and CAF be if an African player in the mould of George Weah, whose national team is clueless, wins World and European POY and CAF votes another player just because his achievements are in a European club shirt.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:46 am Both Victor Boniface and Ademola Lookman have both taken Europe by storm wearing their club shirts. That clearly puts them in the running for AFOY. In my opinion, and given criteria used by CAF they are both going to be top contenders.

So why did you refer to Lookman as easily disposable after the friendly matches in the March FIFA window? This was after he had given your required 110 % at AFCON.
I am happy
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

Dammy wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:23 pm

So why did you refer to Lookman as easily disposable after the friendly matches in the March FIFA window? This was after he had given your required 110 % at AFCON.
Good question i await the answer. Same people that said Lookman to the bench for Nacho depends on formation. I have asked is there any serious coach that would bench Lookman for Nacho in any foward positon? The boy is front runner for APOY and arguably our best outfield performer at AFCON but gets no respect on a Nigerian fan site. People that were surprised by yesterday's performance dey watch football with one eye
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

There's definitely no football reason to play Nacho ahead of Lookman.
There's nothing Nacho brings to the team at the moment that Lookman doesn't bring x10.
This same Lookman was Atlanta's highest goal scorer last season playing as a winger. This season, he's their second highest goal scorer in all competitions.

With all due respect to Nacho, he doesn't currently deserve a call up to the national team. He can't even make the bench for a team playing in the championship.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Even now, he is replaxeable in the context of SE football. In my view only Osimhen and Iwobi are not easily replaceable. The rest are replaceable including Lookman and Ekong. Note that this does not mean Ekong and Lookman are not good. Afterall, those were our best players at AFCON. However, being best at AFCON does not mean one is not easily replaced.

For instance, Boniface can easily replace Lookman as Nigeria's second striker without us batting an eyelid. But can we say that about Osimhen? I think not. Ekong can be replaceable eventhough he was MVP at AFCON. Can we say that of Iwobi?

I hope you understand how my thinking goes here? That one is replaceable does not mean he is not a good player. Far from it. It simply means Nigeria has a good substitute for that individual.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Enugu II wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:39 pm

Even now, he is replaxeable in the context of SE football. In my view only Osimhen and Iwobi are not easily replaceable. The rest are replaceable including Lookman and Ekong. Note that this does not mean Ekong and Lookman are not good. Afterall, those were our best players at AFCON. However, being best at AFCON does not mean one is not easily replaced.

For instance, Boniface can easily replace Lookman as Nigeria's second striker without us batting an eyelid. But can we say that about Osimhen? I think not. Ekong can be replaceable eventhough he was MVP at AFCON. Can we say that of Iwobi?

I hope you understand how my thinking goes here? That one is replaceable does not mean he is not a good player. Far from it. It simply means Nigeria has a good substitute for that individual.
Haba now, every player is replaceable in the SE setup. More especially Iwobi. I think Iwobi shouldn't be starting for Nigeria. He can't shoot, he can't defend. He runs well, is fit and can pick a pass. But we need more than that
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

airwolex wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:49 am Na wa for you bros. How many games has Boniface played for us that you say he has done diddly? Give the guy at least 10 games na.

:rotf: :rotf: E2 has a narrative and is just running with it. izalrite :taunt:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

highbury wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:03 pm

Haba now, every player is replaceable in the SE setup. More especially Iwobi. I think Iwobi shouldn't be starting for Nigeria. He can't shoot, he can't defend. He runs well, is fit and can pick a pass. But we need more than that
I wouldn't argue that, either. Even Osimhen too. I just pointed out that Osimhen, Iwobi, and somewhat Nwabali are players that are close to being irreplaceable but the truth is that everyone and anyone can be benched.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

You keep tying yourself in knots! So it’s easily replaceable now not easily disposable?
As someone who presents himself as an intellectual, I hope you know there’s a difference between replaceable and disposable? Or should we open a dictionary?
Keep digging!
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:36 pm

You keep tying yourself in knots! So it’s easily replaceable now not easily disposable?
As someone who presents himself as an intellectual, I hope you know there’s a difference between replaceable and disposable? Or should we open a dictionary?
Keep digging!
:rotf: :rotf: you might open that dictionary, to be sure.

One of these days, you will learn that I am neither tied to any player nor am I enamored with any club. Those change for me as circumstance presents itself. The only thing unchanging for me is the Super Eagles.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:15 pm

Keep digging!

One of these days, you will learn that I am neither tied to any player nor am I enamored with any club. Those change for me as circumstance presents itself. The only thing unchanging for me is the Super Eagles.
Except it’s a home based player like Anayo Iwuala, who you were hyping on his debut and has since moved to Esperance Tunis where he couldn’t cut the mustard and has been cut loose!
I am happy
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

In all the years that I have been on this forum, never seen Prof. as excited about a player as he was with this fellow. Sad he got cut though.
Dammy wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:28 pm

Keep digging!

Except it’s a home based player like Anayo Iwuala, who you were hyping on his debut and has since moved to Esperance Tunis where he couldn’t cut the mustard and has been cut loose!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

In all the years that I have been on this forum, never seen Prof. as excited about a player as he was with this fellow. Sad he got cut though.

Keep digging!

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:08 am In all the years that I have been on this forum, never seen Prof. as excited about a player as he was with this fellow. Sad he got cut though.

Keep digging!

Yep, I was excited for him but not now. Same for every player. Excited now about Osimhen and Iwobi but when they fade, my excitement will also fade. However, for me they are currently the two most stable Nigerian players without a good replacement. Felt like that for Ndidi back then but not anymore. Bet on it. My take is simply based on what has a player done lately.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:21 am
Otitokoro wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:08 am In all the years that I have been on this forum, never seen Prof. as excited about a player as he was with this fellow. Sad he got cut though.

Keep digging!

Yep, I was excited for him but not now. Same for every player. Excited now about Osimhen and Iwobi but when they fade, my excitement will also fade. However, for me they are currently the two most stable Nigerian players without a good replacement. Felt like that for Ndidi back then but not anymore. Bet on it. My take is simply based on what has a player done lately.
Lookman was our top goal scorer at AFCON and contributed with the form by scoring in the March friendlies yet you said he was easily disposable. How lately can that be?
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:02 am

Keep digging!

Lookman was our top goal scorer at AFCON and contributed with the form by scoring in the March friendlies yet you said he was easily disposable. How lately can that be?
Dammy,

Let me ask you this:

Given Lookman's play would you have him start ahead of Osimhen if it comes to the next game? Second, if it comes to two strikers would you automatically play him based on what you have seen? And with whom and why? Please explain and let us know why.

I just do not think for Lookman, that it is that automatic for Nigeria. We have had this before in our history. Remember, we had Akpoborire tearing up Europe and yet? We had Owibokiri tear up as well at club level. Ikpeba won AFOY but yet was not a sure starter for Nigeria. You have to begin to understand that club and nation are different.

Making things more complicated is that, if you noticed, Finidi has used wingback wide and not wing forwards. What tgat means is that Lookman must play centrally for space.

Moreover, while Lookman has actually done better than the examples of the two earlier examples that I mention, the point is that club football is not exactly same as national team. He must be judged by what he does at the nt level where he competes with several others and only one of them - Osimhen - at the moment, is consideted indispensable. Lookman and Boniface are not for Nigeria.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:56 am

Keep digging!

Dammy,

Let me ask you this:

Given Lookman's play would you have him start ahead of Osimhen if it comes to the next game? Second, if it comes to two strikers would you automatically play him based on what you have seen? And with whom and why? Please explain and let us know why.

I just do not think for Lookman, that it is that automatic for Nigeria. We have had this before in our history. Remember, we had Akpoborire tearing up Europe and yet? We had Owibokiri tear up as well at club level. Ikpeba won AFOY but yet was not a sure starter for Nigeria. You have to begin to understand that club and nation are different.

Making things more complicated is that, if you noticed, Finidi has used wingback wide and not wing forwards. What tgat means is that Lookman must play centrally for space.

Moreover, while Lookman has actually done better than the examples of the two earlier examples that I mention, the point is that club football is not exactly same as national team. He must be judged by what he does at the nt level where he competes with several others and only one of them - Osimhen - at the moment, is consideted indispensable. Lookman and Boniface are not for Nigeria.
EII, with this your analysis, my question back to you is that do you still stand by your assertion that Lookman is easily disposable? Or you don’t understand the meaning?
When you say easily disposable, it means that we can easily replace him like for like, do you still believe that?
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:37 pm
Enugu II wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:56 am

Dammy,

Let me ask you this:

EII, with this your analysis, my question back to you is that do you still stand by your assertion that Lookman is easily disposable? Or you don’t understand the meaning?
When you say easily disposable, it means that we can easily replace him like for like, do you still believe that?
Lookman is replaceable just like most SE players bar Osimhen and Iwobi. I have already stated that and should not be going round and round on that. Is Lookman having a great year with Nigeria? Yes. However, he has to do more before I elevate him to the status of those two - Osimhen and Iwobi. Right now, he is not an untouchable. Now, bear in mind that whatever you do with your club barely counts for me except if you replicate it with the SE on consistent basis. Lookman did replicate his club form this year with SE and I gave him kudos right after the first AFCON game when he neither assisted or scored. His 110 effort was all it took for me to acknowledge that. But should I elevate him to status of Osimhen and Iwobi for the SE? Nah. Not yet. Need to see more in an SE shirt.