Lookman and Boniface: Focusing on SE output.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: Lookman and Boniface: Focusing on SE output.....

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:29 pm
Lookman is replaceable just like most SE players bar Osimhen and Iwobi. I have already stated that and should not be going round and round on that. Is Lookman having a great year with Nigeria? Yes. However, he has to do more before I elevate him to the status of those two - Osimhen and Iwobi. Right now, he is not an untouchable. Now, bear in mind that whatever you do with your club barely counts for me except if you replicate it with the SE on consistent basis. Lookman did replicate his club form this year with SE and I gave him kudos right after the first AFCON game when he neither assisted or scored. His 110 effort was all it took for me to acknowledge that. But should I elevate him to status of Osimhen and Iwobi for the SE? Nah. Not yet. Need to see more in an SE shirt.
Prof., the only player that is irreplaceable in our squad is Osimhen.

That's the list!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

No player is irreplaceable; not even Osimhen🤔❗️

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:01 am No player is irreplaceable; not even Osimhen🤔❗️

Cheers.
TTTK

You are correct but we are really referring on players who currently are sure starters. Ultimately, Osimhen shall be replaced but currently he fits the unique player who is first on the list and no real substitute. I feel Iwobi is added to that as well and everyone else is on the levels below.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:56 am
Dammy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:02 am
Enugu II wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:21 am
Otitokoro wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:08 am In all the years that I have been on this forum, never seen Prof. as excited about a player as he was with this fellow. Sad he got cut though.
Dammy wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:28 pm
Enugu II wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:15 pm
Dammy wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:36 pm

You keep tying yourself in knots! So it’s easily replaceable now not easily disposable?
As someone who presents himself as an intellectual, I hope you know there’s a difference between replaceable and disposable? Or should we open a dictionary?
Keep digging!
:rotf: :rotf: you might open that dictionary, to be sure.

One of these days, you will learn that I am neither tied to any player nor am I enamored with any club. Those change for me as circumstance presents itself. The only thing unchanging for me is the Super Eagles.
Except it’s a home based player like Anayo Iwuala, who you were hyping on his debut and has since moved to Esperance Tunis where he couldn’t cut the mustard and has been cut loose!
Yep, I was excited for him but not now. Same for every player. Excited now about Osimhen and Iwobi but when they fade, my excitement will also fade. However, for me they are currently the two most stable Nigerian players without a good replacement. Felt like that for Ndidi back then but not anymore. Bet on it. My take is simply based on what has a player done lately.
Lookman was our top goal scorer at AFCON and contributed with the form by scoring in the March friendlies yet you said he was easily disposable. How lately can that be?
Dammy,

Let me ask you this:

Given Lookman's play would you have him start ahead of Osimhen if it comes to the next game? Second, if it comes to two strikers would you automatically play him based on what you have seen? And with whom and why? Please explain and let us know why.

I just do not think for Lookman, that it is that automatic for Nigeria. We have had this before in our history. Remember, we had Akpoborire tearing up Europe and yet? We had Owibokiri tear up as well at club level. Ikpeba won AFOY but yet was not a sure starter for Nigeria. You have to begin to understand that club and nation are different.

Making things more complicated is that, if you noticed, Finidi has used wingback wide and not wing forwards. What tgat means is that Lookman must play centrally for space.

Moreover, while Lookman has actually done better than the examples of the two earlier examples that I mention, the point is that club football is not exactly same as national team. He must be judged by what he does at the nt level where he competes with several others and only one of them - Osimhen - at the moment, is consideted indispensable. Lookman and Boniface are not for Nigeria.
If dem born Finidi well, make he use wing backs against SA and Benin.

We don’t have scoring midfielders nor wingbacks and even our top striker is known to miss many chances, yet you want Finidi to drop our current in-form attacking player who has been delivering goals for us? I can’t believe what you have been promoting here. Finidi goofed in those friendlies and he should be man enough to accept it and change personnel and even formation. But I doubt he would listen when we have some people even encouraging him to continue with that useless formation.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

highbury wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:03 pm
Enugu II wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:39 pm
Dammy wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:23 pm
Enugu II wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:46 am Both Victor Boniface and Ademola Lookman have both taken Europe by storm wearing their club shirts. That clearly puts them in the running for AFOY. In my opinion, and given criteria used by CAF they are both going to be top contenders.

My personal opinion is that CAF should not be using performance in European shirt for such award. However, that opinion, is just personal and certainly not the criteria used by CAF.

On SE? I believe Lookman has become a 110 player as I noted during the AFCON and playing centrally and not in a wide position. His performance at AFCON this year should solidify his no.1 status for AFOY.

Boniface, on the other hand, has done diddly for Nigeria just yet. However, he has potential given productivity as well as physical traits.

So why did you refer to Lookman as easily disposable after the friendly matches in the March FIFA window? This was after he had given your required 110 % at AFCON.
Even now, he is replaxeable in the context of SE football. In my view only Osimhen and Iwobi are not easily replaceable. The rest are replaceable including Lookman and Ekong. Note that this does not mean Ekong and Lookman are not good. Afterall, those were our best players at AFCON. However, being best at AFCON does not mean one is not easily replaced.

For instance, Boniface can easily replace Lookman as Nigeria's second striker without us batting an eyelid. But can we say that about Osimhen? I think not. Ekong can be replaceable eventhough he was MVP at AFCON. Can we say that of Iwobi?

I hope you understand how my thinking goes here? That one is replaceable does not mean he is not a good player. Far from it. It simply means Nigeria has a good substitute for that individual.
Haba now, every player is replaceable in the SE setup. More especially Iwobi. I think Iwobi shouldn't be starting for Nigeria. He can't shoot, he can't defend. He runs well, is fit and can pick a pass. But we need more than that
Haba, Iwobi can't shoot? Checkout his goal against Sierra Leone, Zambia and others, he is one of the best shooters in the team.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

gochino wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:36 am
Enugu II wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:46 am Both Victor Boniface and Ademola Lookman have both taken Europe by storm wearing their club shirts. That clearly puts them in the running for AFOY. In my opinion, and given criteria used by CAF they are both going to be top contenders.

My personal opinion is that CAF should not be using performance in European shirt for such award. However, that opinion, is just personal and certainly not the criteria used by CAF.

On SE? I believe Lookman has become a 110 player as I noted during the AFCON and playing centrally and not in a wide position. His performance at AFCON this year should solidify his no.1 status for AFOY.

Boniface, on the other hand, has done diddly for Nigeria just yet. However, he has potential given productivity as well as physical traits.

So why did you refer to Lookman as easily disposable after the friendly matches in the March FIFA window? This was after he had given your required 110 % at AFCON.
Even now, he is replaxeable in the context of SE football. In my view only Osimhen and Iwobi are not easily replaceable. The rest are replaceable including Lookman and Ekong. Note that this does not mean Ekong and Lookman are not good. Afterall, those were our best players at AFCON. However, being best at AFCON does not mean one is not easily replaced.

For instance, Boniface can easily replace Lookman as Nigeria's second striker without us batting an eyelid. But can we say that about Osimhen? I think not. Ekong can be replaceable eventhough he was MVP at AFCON. Can we say that of Iwobi?

I hope you understand how my thinking goes here? That one is replaceable does not mean he is not a good player. Far from it. It simply means Nigeria has a good substitute for that individual.
Haba now, every player is replaceable in the SE setup. More especially Iwobi. I think Iwobi shouldn't be starting for Nigeria. He can't shoot, he can't defend. He runs well, is fit and can pick a pass. But we need more than that
Haba, Iwobi can't shoot? Checkout his goal against Sierra Leone, Zambia and others, he is one of the best shooters in the team.
His goals and shots on target per game is very low for an attacking midfielder. Compare him to other players in similar positions.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

And Iwobi!

We've tried many times to replace him and found out it's not in our best interest. Lookman and Boniface are interchangeable depending on the formation used, which makes either of them replaceable by definition. But with Lookmans current form, we must find a way to fit him in, even if it means playing him on defence.

To be honest, I have not watched a single full game of Bonifice, so I don't know what I would be missing if he were to be ommitted from the team. I have seen Lookman many times, and i wouldn't want to miss his tenacity and his ability to put himself in a scoring position. So he is more irreplaceable than Boniface in my opinion.

It's Awoniyi that needs to step up his game or he will find it hard to make the team anytime soon. 2 goals in over 500 minutes won't cut it.
Cellular wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:41 pm
Enugu II wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:29 pm
Lookman is replaceable just like most SE players bar Osimhen and Iwobi. I have already stated that and should not be going round and round on that. Is Lookman having a great year with Nigeria? Yes. However, he has to do more before I elevate him to the status of those two - Osimhen and Iwobi. Right now, he is not an untouchable. Now, bear in mind that whatever you do with your club barely counts for me except if you replicate it with the SE on consistent basis. Lookman did replicate his club form this year with SE and I gave him kudos right after the first AFCON game when he neither assisted or scored. His 110 effort was all it took for me to acknowledge that. But should I elevate him to status of Osimhen and Iwobi for the SE? Nah. Not yet. Need to see more in an SE shirt.
Prof., the only player that is irreplaceable in our squad is Osimhen.

That's the list!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Lolly wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:49 am

His goals and shots on target per game is very low for an attacking midfielder. Compare him to other players in similar positions.
Apart from Osimhen and maybe Iheanacho, who has scored more goals than Iwobi? And remember he has been playing from a deeper position in the last 2 years.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »