Without Martins, SE cannot beat Cameroon

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

Abi o Dog Bruno,
Man don take heart, chei the ANC go bad no be small.... :cry: :cry: :cry: :(
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Elexus
Egg
Egg

Post by Elexus »

Obafemi unsure and Babangida axed

Nigeria insist on Obafemi Martins despite the refusal of his Italian club – Inter Milan to free him for national assignments just as ‘rebelling’ Haruna Babangida may have been tacitly eased out of the U-23 team.

Nigeria Football Association (NFA) Secretary General, Taiwo Ogunjobi told www.kickoffnigeria.com that a fresh request for the dreaded striker was sent to Inter Milan copying FIFA to underline Nigeria’s determination to have him for the Olympic qualifier against Egypt on Sunday.

He said NFA was driven to inform FIFA about the imbroglio as Inter continued to claim that the qualifier was not a FIFA organized match and thus could not be compelled to release the Nigerian.

“I am confident that he will be in Cairo latest by Wednesday or Thursday for the match after his club’s UEFA game away to Moscow. We have notified FIFA,” Ogunjobi said.

But Coach Musa Abdullahi told www.kickoffnigeria.com that his personal efforts to reach the ebony 18-year attacker came to naught as his calls either end up on the answering machines or never got picked.

And not withstanding that Musa left Lagos with only 15 home-based players, he declined to look the way of Haruna Babangida who also left for Spain – his base – just as Musa and his wards departed for Cairo on Monday night.

The darting winger for the Catalan club (Barcelona) told www.kickoffnigeria.com that he was not selected for the Cairo trip though he would have loved to play in the match.

“Nobody told me anything either to go with them or join them in Cairo, so I have to go back to my club,” he said.

But Coach Musa defended and said he wants to give equal opportunities to other players who have not been tested and added that Babangida was not been punished for walking-out on him when he was substituted in a match in All Africa Games.

Uche Kalu was also doubtful for the game as Musa confirmed that the player headed back to base to sort out his lingering Ajax transfer tussle with his Ukrainian club.

His invitation was delivered to him personally as NFA got confused on where to route the letter.

Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 15:16
NFA drag Inter to Fifa

The NFA have warned Italian club Inter Milan they will ask world soccer governing body Fifa to order them to release striker Obafemi Martins for a 2004 Olympics qualifier in Egypt if they continue to refuse their request for the player.

"Inter are playing games with us over Obafemi and we will not take it any longer from them," said a very determined NFA scribe Taiwo Ogunjobi.

"This is the third time we have asked for the player's release and on all occasions they have refused us for one excuse or the other."

Ogunjobi added: "We first asked for the player in June before our first match against Namibia and they replied by saying he was injured and then for the All Africa Games, they again refused to release him after they had agreed to do so.”

"But they have made a big mistake this time by saying the match in Egypt is not a Fifa game and we have therefore written back to them that it is and if they don't play ball with us this time we have no option than to take the matter to Fifa."

Martins has yet to feature for any of the country's teams after he burst onto the scene last season while starring for Inter in both the league and the Uefa Champion League.

Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 13:48
Martins for Tunisia

Inter Milan rising star Obafemi Martins has finally given his word to NFA scribe Taiwo Ogunjobi that he will join the Super Eagles in Tunisia for the African Cup of Nations.

"I had very fruitful discussions with Martins in Italy and he has agreed to join the team in Tunisia for the Nations Cup," Ogunjobi told www.kickoffnigeriua.com.

"We have, however, agreed that he will not be part of the team's training camp in Portugal."

www.kickoffnigeria.com had exclusively revealed that the Inter shooting star will skip the training camp in Portugal.

The 19-year-old striker, who has banged in five goals thus far this season, has yet to be capped at any level by Nigeria.

Ogunjobi was in Europe this week to talk with several of the country's top stars. He was in England where he talked with skipper Austin 'Jay Jay' Okocha and Nwankwo Kanu while in France he was in touch with Bartholomew Ogbeche and John Utaka.

However, he could not reach Schalke 04 striker Victor Agali at his German base and so doubts about the player's availability for the Nations Cup remain.

Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 8:35

Based on the above references that I have cited, it cannot really be said that Martins's decision not to honour the invitation is his act. Somebody behind the scenes is responsible for this. See the game Inter Milan has been playing with NFA. They keep chpping and changing.
authority
Egg
Egg

Post by authority »

This boy is a good player but I saw him play against Arsenal in Rome he could not do anything that day . Against Cameroun with big boys he might not do much. Please go back and watch the game between Argenitina and Cameroun with Maradona at his prime. Maradona with Cameroun down 2 players cold not brake their defence. Please let us have faith on the boys that had proven themselves. Remember how Ogbeche was two years ago . We thought that he was going to be our messiah . I rest my report.
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

A reluctanct Martins will do no good; I also do not subscribe to the savior label hung around his neck. This young man has never played for the Eagles. How can he suddenly become the savior.
...but with God all things are possible...
mlkama
Egg
Egg

Post by mlkama »

I cannot understand the brouhaha about this guy. HE is obligated by FIFA to play for Nigeria. If he does not, then he cannot play for Inter during that period. So what on earth is the problem?

Anyway, bring him on, and we will see. Better Nigerian or other internationals have failed to break us so I am not sure what he would do. Diouf tried and failed in 2002. Maradona tried in 1990. Ronaldinho tried 6 months ago. So go figure.
Waffiman wrote: PS: Milla couldn't hold a candle to Manga Onguene or Theophile "Docteur" Abega .
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

Mlkama , at least those guys tried . I don't see how playing YAK or Agali is "trying ".
Mike Ditka quote :
"I didn't say it in those general terms but I said it like that".
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

only a few weeks ago, we were speculating about whether Martins wants to play or whether its Inter blocking him.

Now we know. Inter does not want him to play for Nigeria at all. And their excuses are so lame.

And like I said, Inter Milan has predictably under-estimated the NFA. Ogunjobi will take this matter before FiFA. And he must. What happens next we shall see.

But the worst posible outcome would be for FIFA to house-arrest Martins through the ANC tournament.

Inter is hoping Martins will defy both the NFA & FIFA. If Martins does so, I will not know whether to feel angry or sorry for him.
PMZOkocha
Egg
Egg

Post by PMZOkocha »

Authority, first things first, Maradona was way past his prime at WC '90. '86, was when he was at his prime. And the lions then are not the lions now! Have you forgotten how Okocha almost almost distroyed them in lagos? Bring on the lions, with or without Martins we have enough weapons to beat any team in this world with the right coach and organization. And all of you that have given up on the Eagles should not come out and say good things about them when they win...cause they will and they(Eagles) don't need y'all to jump on the band wagon!
authority
Egg
Egg

Post by authority »

PMPOkocha, Maradona was at his prime when he played aginst the Cameroun. However, you misunderstood my position . I am against people that want us to keep preasure on Martin. although he is good , we will not miss him and we are blessed with many strikers. I pray for our success because this will encourage other Africans to use African coaches. Remember no country had ever won world cup with a fc.
Victor77
Egg
Egg

Post by Victor77 »

What about Aiyegbeni? The guy has been a proven goalscorer.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

What about Aiyegbeni? The guy has been a proven goalscorer.
Abeg, the guy has been wasteful all season, so we shouldn't be counting on him for goals, however, he will bring a different skill to the table that naija needs against tough teams like Cameroon, and thats "gra gra"...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

You guys should first qualify from your group before thinking about Cameroon. I don't know if it is me, but i don't see Nigeria qualifying from that group. Why, because you guys don't have a team YET. Seriously.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

In as much as i hate to admit it, the cameroonian is right. lets concentrate on our group before talking about cameroon. Remember how we were thinking of brazil when we had not played denmark at france 98?????
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

PaJimoh wrote:Sinc when has Martins become the saviour of SE?

We are in danger of doing "an Ogbeche" on this boy.
Abeg O! Elexus no they talk rubish. The eagles have strikers, better than any other team at the ANC - considering that CIV is absent - What we need is less Martins propagander, and more Defenders and Midfielders.
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
PMZOkocha
Egg
Egg

Post by PMZOkocha »

Bad-belle-boy. How can you say Nigeria does not have a team. The only question we have is...which team is going out on each day because on any given day, having a team is not a problem we could ever have. What have the Cameroonians done differently to make you think they have a team?
Elexus
Egg
Egg

Post by Elexus »

Nkume, in case you have not seen this stat, for ease of reference, I present it to you again. It is no propaganda. Martins has scored 14 goals in 1848 minutes of play time which translate to approximately 21 matches. It seems to me to follow as a matter of inexorable logic that this is a rare and unique striker, possibly the greatest striker in the world at this point in time.
VIERI ON TARGET EVERY 100 MINUTES
Wednesday, 31 December 2003 16:32:19
MILAN - With 28 goals to his name, Christian Vieri was Nerazzurri top scorer in 2003. Bobo netted 25 goals in official matches and 3 in friendlies to bring his total in an Inter shirt to 99.

Vieri played 2818 minutes this year, which means he scored roughly once every 100 minutes. Obafemi Martins is second top marksman with 14 goals (5 in the Serie A , 3 in the Champions League and 6 in friendlies), one every 132 minutes.

Player - Goals - Mins played - A goal every...mins

Vieri 28 2818 100
Martins 14 1848 132
Crespo 9 720 80
Cruz 8 1188 148
Recoba 7 1941 277
Kallon 7 1001 143
Materazzi 6 2742 457
van der Meyde 3 1138 379
Cordoba 2 3753 1876
Emre 2 2832 1416
Adani 2 1523 761
Okan 2 905 452
Batistuta 2 823 411
Rebecchi 2 334 167
Cannavaro 1 3391 3391
Di Biagio 1 1411 1411
Farinos 1 144 144
Biava 1 140 1
sunshinestar
Egg
Egg

Post by sunshinestar »

No no no,we can only win the NC without CCC :evil:
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

When I say you guys don't have team, I mean a team with the Chemistry already there, where the players know each other. Cameroon already has that. Cmon man. You and I know very well that CCC is still building a team. He even said it that he was experimenting with other players not too long ago. You guys are in a rebuilding process. Which is not bad, but it takes a long time. Rome was not built in one day. Look at Cameroon. They don't rebuild. They just reload. As Mboma is goin out, Webo is there. As Kalla is going out, Mettomo is there, as Wome is going, Atouba is there.
And the pattern continues. If you haven't realzed, only four players who featured regularly in the past ANC are in this current team. Eto'o, Song, Geremi, and Tchato. The rest have been gently blended into the team wethout anyone even realizing it.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
PMZOkocha
Egg
Egg

Post by PMZOkocha »

And you haven't also noticed or payed attention to what history has tried to teach. Nigeria has never been know to have a "team" as the you know it...our style of assembling players in a short period of time has proven to be our working formula. Cameroon can under estimate us for all we care, we won't feel bad beating them for not learning from history. Nigeria has done that for years and excelled!
Mbape
Egg
Egg

Post by Mbape »

PMZOkocha wrote:And you haven't also noticed or payed attention to what history has tried to teach. Nigeria has never been know to have a "team" as the you know it...our style of assembling players in a short period of time has proven to be our working formula. Cameroon can under estimate us for all we care, we won't feel bad beating them for not learning from history. Nigeria has done that for years and excelled!
Cameroon will never underestimate Nigeria. That's Nigeria's problem right there. Right now, we dont even want to talk about Nigeria. We have Algeria, Zimbabwe, and Egypt to worry about. When we get past them, then we'll hope that Nigeria is still around, because that'll get us very excited - as excited as lions usually are when they smell a kill!
PMZOkocha
Egg
Egg

Post by PMZOkocha »

You tell me how an excited lion can get off the ground to kill an Eagle. We on the other hand can come down to hurt the lion when it least expects.
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

Enuff of Martins this and that already. Na wa o!
...but with God all things are possible...