Will an African team win the WC in my life time?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg
Will an African team win the WC in my life time?

Post by Mzekezeke »

Bearing in mind I will be hitting the big 3-0 next year. :D Will an African team win the WC in my lifetime? I mean the talent is there, but no matter where I look all the teams seem to have a very amateurish setup and how can we possibly compete with the Brazil's and Germany's of this world.

Until we understand that there is no substitution for a professional setup Africa is doomed to always play 2nd fiddle at the mundial.
Patrick Ntsoelengo,Nelson Dladla,Petros Nzimande, Abednigo Ngcobo,Doctor Khumalo,Vusi Lamola,Gerald Dlamini,Simom Lehoko,Silvester Kole,Lucas Radebe,Jan Lichaba, Leonard Likoebe,Edson Mguyo, Arie Khongoane,Marks Maponyanye,Donald Khuse, Jabu Pule, Mark Tovey, Zebulon Nhlapo,Gabriel Tikkie Khoza,Moran Khulu,Michael Dlamini,Johannes Mofokeng, Wellinton Manyathi,Jingles Perreira....... to be continued....Amhakhosi Kaizer Chiefs!!!!!!!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Ha Mandoza, u don old oh :roll:

But an African team has already won in 1998!

Desaily--- Ghana
Viera---- Senegal
Zidane-Algeria
Thuram--- Congo

Not to mention Henri, Wiltord, and the other dudus that have black blood.
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

airwolex wrote:Ha Mandoza, u don old oh :roll:

But an African team has already won in 1998!

Desaily--- Ghana
Viera---- Senegal
Zidane-Algeria
Thuram--- Congo

Not to mention Henri, Wiltord, and the other dudus that have black blood.
Age ain't nothing but a number. 8) Well its a sad day when we have to comfort ourselves with Desailly and co.
Patrick Ntsoelengo,Nelson Dladla,Petros Nzimande, Abednigo Ngcobo,Doctor Khumalo,Vusi Lamola,Gerald Dlamini,Simom Lehoko,Silvester Kole,Lucas Radebe,Jan Lichaba, Leonard Likoebe,Edson Mguyo, Arie Khongoane,Marks Maponyanye,Donald Khuse, Jabu Pule, Mark Tovey, Zebulon Nhlapo,Gabriel Tikkie Khoza,Moran Khulu,Michael Dlamini,Johannes Mofokeng, Wellinton Manyathi,Jingles Perreira....... to be continued....Amhakhosi Kaizer Chiefs!!!!!!!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

It will happen one day. Naija and Cameroon have won the Olympics... it is a matter of time.
Mudi E
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mudi E »

All we need to win the World Cup in Africa is solid organization. If we ever get our acts together and get serious, it's ours for the taking. The talent pool is their, but with zero organization, we are doomed for life.
Nigeria shall wallop the dormitable lions
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

airwolex wrote:It will happen one day. Naija and Cameroon have won the Olympics... it is a matter of time.
I am not so convinced. Not to diminish Nigeria and Cameroon's achievements but the big teams especially the European ones don't take the Olympic tournament seriously.
anyway i hope your prediction is right.
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

Mudi E wrote:All we need to win the World Cup in Africa is solid organization. If we ever get our acts together and get serious, it's ours for the taking. The talent pool is their, but with zero organization, we are doomed for life.
The question is when will we get our acts together? it never seems to happen.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Mandoza wrote:
airwolex wrote:It will happen one day. Naija and Cameroon have won the Olympics... it is a matter of time.
I am not so convinced. Not to diminish Nigeria and Cameroon's achievements but the big teams especially the European ones don't take the Olympic tournament seriously.
I beg to disagree. We beat a Brazilian team with - correct me if i'm wrong - Ronaldo, Rilvaldo, R Carlos and Junhinio.

Argentina had Ortega, Batistuta and other stars, if thats not taking it serious i don't know what is.
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

airwolex wrote:
Mandoza wrote:
I beg to disagree. We beat a Brazilian team with - correct me if i'm wrong - Ronaldo, Rilvaldo, R Carlos and Junhinio.

Argentina had Ortega, Batistuta and other stars, if thats not taking it serious i don't know what is.
I did say the Europeans(most of them) don't take it seriously. But i am beginning to sound like a hater. It would be nice to see who ever represents Africa in Germany launching a seroius assault on the WC.
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

airwolex wrote:
Mandoza wrote:

You forgot Bebeto.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

airwolex wrote:
Mandoza wrote:

You forgot Bebeto.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Naija fan wrote:
airwolex wrote:
Mandoza wrote:

It is unbelievable the list of South Americans who played in the 1996 Olympics and became superstars later. But I think that Mandoza is correct about the fact that they don't take the Olympics very seriously. Against Nigeria the brazilian substituted Ronaldo (and Juninho?) when they were leading 3-1.

You forgot Bebeto.
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

airwolex wrote:
Mandoza wrote:

and bebeto

that is half of their world cup team in 1998.
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

I am sure countries like Nigeria and Cameroon have to potential to win a World Cup hosted in South Africa.
dapo lawal
Egg
Egg

Post by dapo lawal »

It depends on how old you are. :D :D :lol: :lol:
AreaStarr
Egg
Egg
Location: By the Bar as usual hand full of liquor puffing on a sweet swisher!

Post by AreaStarr »

Oba from Montreal wrote:I am sure countries like Nigeria and Cameroon have to potential to win a World Cup hosted in South Africa.
Oba the potential has been there since the WC in 1990, but our teams barely manage to get past the 1st round.(Save for one team at each of the past 5 WC's).
And just because the WC maybe held in SA in 2010 does not mean an African team will win the WC! Don't be surprised to see Brazil winnining the WC in SA. The problem is our fire brigade approach to things that never seems to end! I find it hard to believe that we are 6 years away from an African country winning the WC, its just not gonna happen when you have your CCC's and NFA's of this world, and Cameroon are not better with their President insisting on having of Mboma in their team.(Imagine Tony Blair telling the England coach he wants Alan shrearer in the England team? :lol: ).

And the olympics can not be used as an example because like someone as pointed out the Europeans do not take it seriously and the Brazilian team you mention was a "Junior" side at the time with the exception of Bebeto, while we had virtually our full strenght squad on display.

I'm sorry until we get our behind the scenes stuff in order we are not going to see an African WC winner for some time yet.
Frenchie
Egg
Egg

Post by Frenchie »

airwolex wrote:
Mandoza wrote:

My friend I don't want to discredit Naija & Cameroun but You cannot compare WC and Olympics. WC is grown men BIZ. Look at Brazil: the way they play in a WC is completely different from what they show in any other competition.
Sorry Mandoza but I am pessimistic that even my unborn kids will see WC come to Africa.
Face the facts we are going backwards (we just created illusion in the early 90s) the way I see it Corea or Japan will come grab'am before us
Mankinka
Egg
Egg

Post by Mankinka »

Frenchie wrote: My friend I don't want to discredit Naija & Cameroun but You cannot compare WC and Olympics. WC is grown men BIZ. Look at Brazil: the way they play in a WC is completely different from what they show in any other competition.
Sorry Mandoza but I am pessimistic that even my unborn kids will see WC come to Africa. Face the facts we are going backwards (we just created illusion in the early 90s) the way I see it Corea or Japan will come grab'am before us
:lol: :lol: :lol: Come on guys lets have a bit more optimism.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Will an African team win the WC in my life time?

Post by 1naija »

Mandoza wrote: Will an African team win the WC in my life time?
Not with the way Bafana Bafana have been playing of late. :D
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
serge_renine
Egg
Egg

Post by serge_renine »

For the moment, no team in Africa is ready to win WC 2006.

Our teams have to work hard if they want to get only a chance.

The masterpiece, today, in world soccer is the preparation.
A team, in order to be competitive, has to play a lot of friendlies game against good oponents.
The European countries are used to play regular friendlies game to prepare qualifications and competitions.

Super Eagles miss that kind of preparation.

Africa will never win a WC with "the fire brigad approach", even with the best players of the World !

To win WC 1998 on home soil, The French team needed 4 years of powerful preparation with the same coach Aimé Jaquet.

Which team in Africa can present such stability and work ?

Do anyone know the friendlies matches program of SE in 2004 ?
Garrincha : "The Joy of people !"
Makanaky
Egg
Egg

Post by Makanaky »

Mandoza wrote:Bearing in mind I will be hitting the big 3-0 next year. :D Will an African team win the WC in my lifetime? I mean the talent is there, but no matter where I look all the teams seem to have a very amateurish setup and how can we possibly compete with the Brazil's and Germany's of this world.

Until we understand that there is no substitution for a professional setup Africa is doomed to always play 2nd fiddle at the mundial.
Cameroun will win the WC for Africa. Mark my words Mandoza. :P
Nkono, Kunde, Massing, Tataw, Ebwelle , Pagal,Mbida, Mfede, Mbouh,Makanaky,Kana-Biyik,Oman-Biyik, Ekeke, Milla,.....Too Strong to be Intimidated, Too Stong to be defeated! Indomitable!!!! Marc Viven-Foe R.I.P!!!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Mandoza wrote:Bearing in mind I will be hitting the big 3-0 next year. :D Will an African team win the WC in my lifetime? I mean the talent is there, but no matter where I look all the teams seem to have a very amateurish setup and how can we possibly compete with the Brazil's and Germany's of this world.

Well, Methuselah lived to be almost a thousand so you wait just yet
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mlkama
Egg
Egg

Post by mlkama »

Africa can win the WC if they are committed to doing so, and believe they can. On their day, Senegal, Nigeria or Cameroon can beat any team in the world.
examples:
Cameroon drew with Italy who went on to win in 82.
Morocco barely lost to Germany who played the 86 finals.
Cameroon beat current WC Argentina who still got to the finals. Cameroon got to the QF in 1990.
Nigeria almost beat Italy who got to the finals in 1994.
Nigeria had Brazil shaking in their boots though they never even played them in 1998.
Senegal beat current WC France and got to the QF in 2002.

These are not concrete facts on which you can place a bet, but the signs are there, that we are not far off. All they need to do is win consistently during a WC tournament rather than winning one game and then thinking they have done the impossible.

If Nigeria, South Africa, Cameroon, etc start building teams with the clear target of winning the 2010 WC held in Africa who is to say it will not happen. One thing we know for sure is that the traditional giants would be a bit unbalanced, playing so far away from home, and in unfamiliar territory.

I believe S. Africa will win the bid to host the tournament. That usually means they are seeded, and will almost certainly be into the second round. With crowd support and a little talent S. Africa should atleast get to the QF. Cameroon and Nigeria should at least get there, playing in Africa and with the same support. At that point it will be anyone's guess who wins the tournament.

We are all allowed to dream every so often, right? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Waffiman wrote: PS: Milla couldn't hold a candle to Manga Onguene or Theophile "Docteur" Abega .