Chukwu to stay on for World Cup qualifiers

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet
Chukwu to stay on for World Cup qualifiers

Post by Vincent. »

Nigeria coach Chukwu to stay on for World Cup qualifiers

LAGOS, Feb 20 (Reuters) - Nigeria coach Christian Chukwu will stay in charge for the 2006 World Cup qualifiers after steering his country to third place in the African Nations Cup, a Nigerian FA spokesman said on Friday.

NFA president Olusegun Obasanjo is happy with Nigeria's home-grown coaches and said this week he was impressed by Chukwu's performance in Tunisia.

"It follows that Chukwu will train our team during the qualifiers for the 2006 World Cup," NFA press officer Samuel Kaalu told Reuters.

"Our president has spoken in favour of local coaches so we're not making moves for any foreigner.

"We're not thinking of getting a foreigner as coach at the moment...not for now," he added.

The NFA's plan to hire former England captain Bryan Robson before the Nations Cup in Tunisia was overruled by Sports Minister Musa Mohammed.

Nigeria's last foreign coach was Dutchman Jo Bonfrere who was sacked in 2001.

The Nigerians lost on penalties to hosts and eventual winners Tunisia in the Nations Cup semi-finals before beating Mali 2-1 to win the bronze medal.

In the African World Cup qualifiers starting in June, Nigeria are in the same group as Rwanda, Gabon, Zimbabwe, Angola and Algeria.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Vincent we have no money to pay for a good coach. This is the real situation, they want to replace CCC but there is no to pay a quality replacement. Until the money is found, CCC will hold his position by default.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Jimi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Jimi »

Trust me, this is subject to change..God forbid, if we lose to Rwanda away I am sure the tone in their so-called glass house will change..
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

"We're not thinking of getting a foreigner as coach at the moment...not for now," he added.
what do they mean "not for now",is it after we squeeze through the qualifiers that they will deicde we need a FC? I dont want a FC, but i would rather have continuity and stability regardless of what they decide to do...Nigeria never learns...whoever takes us through the qualifiers must take us to the WC....and if that is C3 then so be it...but if they dont want C3 they should change him now or never....
Im sick of the "new coach 2 months b4 the WC" scenario...
Last edited by Blakes on Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Climb the ladder to succes, escalator style
-Biggie
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

I Guess those who are in the loop will now call reuters liar.
bloody idiots.

"oh, Poddle is speaking directly with the minister"
"oh what do the naija press know"
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

Waffiman wrote:Vincent we have no money to pay for a good coach. This is the real situation, they want to replace CCC but there is no to pay a quality replacement. Until the money is found, CCC will hold his position by default.
Waffiman,

We can only pray that the situation involving qualification for the ANC does not repeat itself (when we qualified only at the last minute).

Failure to qualify for the ANC will also mean failure to qualify for the World Cup.

The best thing is to hire a tactical expert to assist Chukwu because it is clear that his tactical awareness is suspicious.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Within the last week, have we not gone full circle. IC proponents, please enjoy your few days in the sun because I guarantee you this position will change very soon. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Within the last week, have we not gone full circle. IC proponents, please enjoy your few days in the sun because I guarantee you this position will change very soon. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hmmm hmmm oga, what happened to the shortlist of "at least 5 names"? or "waffi, i am reasonably informed that the minister is directly in charge now, I will update you" or "i have been told that Ogunjobi has been marginalised in tihis one" or another one "Obasanjo's statement was off the cuff without consiltation with his advisers and ministers".

What happened to all those statments. I dont think you get it. You will not be able to use this site to make money or gather influence back home. For that you need to be on ground physically.

Learn a lesson or 2, as it seems you are developing a negative penchant for jumping from one disaster to another.
To stop trying is to start dying
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Vincent. wrote:
Waffiman wrote:Vincent we have no money to pay for a good coach. This is the real situation, they want to replace CCC but there is no to pay a quality replacement. Until the money is found, CCC will hold his position by default.
Waffiman,

We can only pray that the situation involving qualification for the ANC does not repeat itself (when we qualified only at the last minute).

Failure to qualify for the ANC will also mean failure to qualify for the World Cup.

The best thing is to hire a tactical expert to assist Chukwu because it is clear that his tactical awareness is suspicious.
Vincent, my bro. This is what happens when you have too many cooks spoiling the broth. NFA has no money, the Sports Ministry will not spend that money alone on football. Obj, once complained that why does squash and not football get some attention?

Until things are looking desperate they will not change a thing. Remember the same thing happened with Bonfrere. The fact is I am not surprised, however, I am aware there is a move to find the money privately so things can still change.
Last edited by Waffiman on Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Shownoja wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Within the last week, have we not gone full circle. IC proponents, please enjoy your few days in the sun because I guarantee you this position will change very soon. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hmmm hmmm oga, what happened to the shortlist of "at least 5 names"? or "waffi, i am reasonably informed that the minister is directly in charge now, I will update you" or "i have been told that Ogunjobi has been marginalised in tihis one" or another one "Obasanjo's statement was off the cuff without consiltation with his advisers and ministers".

What happened to all those statments. I dont think you get it. You will not be able to use this site to make money or gather influence back home. For that you need to be on ground physically.

Learn a lesson or 2, as it seems you are developing a negative penchant for jumping from one disaster to another.
My bro, did you read my posts on those threads? If you have not I will post the links for you again.

Read here: viewtopic.php?t=5842

viewtopic.php?t=5880&highlight=ccc

viewtopic.php?t=5885&highlight=ccc
Last edited by Waffiman on Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Waffi, abeg no answer dat clown. Where him go hide face when dem unveil manager I no know.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I guess CCC staying on is not such a bad thing. I like the man because he is disciplined, principled, and in general, a shining expl of what the local coaches can achieve if they are given the necessary support!

The guy might not be the soccer tactical world's version of Einstein, but he surely has improved greatly as a coach. The good thing is that he has been to the mountain and seen the dealie now. Let's hope that he adjust properly!

I think we will see him draft some new talent.

Vincent. wrote:
Waffiman,

wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

All those who have the names of tactician that will guarantee us a semi final in WC06 should supply them. An appeal fund can be organised and the money use to hire a world class coach. A caveat though, the coach will refund the money if the target is not met. If traget is met, there will be a bonus payment.

No one should tell me that the coach task and target is to qualify us for the world cup. We can do that without a coach!!!!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

what does it mean, "for the WC qualifiers"? does it mean he gets replaced after qualifying us for the WC?

I am not a CCC fan, but we might as well make our WC plans now, not just plan for the qualifiers :roll:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Dog Bruno
Egg
Egg

Post by Dog Bruno »

Jimi wrote:Trust me, this is subject to change..God forbid, if we lose to Rwanda away I am sure the tone in their so-called glass house will change..

We will not lose to Rwanda..because we no sabi tap leather, but because we used a bunch of hey yous, and roadkills to persecute the match.

They are busy talking about FC this, IC that...instead of preparing for the matches before us.
You are Your Own Dog
serge_renine
Egg
Egg

Post by serge_renine »

Rwanda has shown very goog tings in Tunisa.
Beware....we must respect this team, it's not going to be an easy match !

Remember qualifications round for WC 2002 and Liberia.........

We have to work hard to beat Algeria, Rwanda and so on.
Garrincha : "The Joy of people !"
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Waffiman wrote:
Shownoja wrote:

My bro, did you read my posts on those threads? If you have not I will post the links for you again.

Read here: viewtopic.php?t=5842

viewtopic.php?t=5880&highlight=ccc

viewtopic.php?t=5885&highlight=ccc
Waffi, it was to that Mr. know it all Ayo Akinfe that I referred in my post. I have read your posts and duly note that you always maintained that Hoddle will not be appointed. No worries bro.
To stop trying is to start dying
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:what does it mean, "for the WC qualifiers"? does it mean he gets replaced after qualifying us for the WC?

I am not a CCC fan, but we might as well make our WC plans now, not just plan for the qualifiers :roll:
Management or leadership has never been the NFA's mé·tier.
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

YUJAM wrote:I guess CCC staying on is not such a bad thing. I like the man because he is disciplined, principled, and in general, a shining expl of what the local coaches can achieve if they are given the necessary support!

The guy might not be the soccer tactical world's version of Einstein, but he surely has improved greatly as a coach. The good thing is that he has been to the mountain and seen the dealie now. Let's hope that he adjust properly!

I think we will see him draft some new talent.

Vincent. wrote:
Waffiman,

YUJAM,

Which local or foreign cioach is not "disciplined?" Any coach operating at that should be.

Na Chukwu's "improvement" we go chop?

At the highest level (which, I believe, is where we are aspiring to compete) the difference is very small. That small edge that a tactically astute coach can add to our talent is the difference between success, stagnation, or failure.

The least we can do to help ourselves is to hire a tactical consultant for Chukwu.