Kanu Faces Pay Cut to Stay at Arsenal

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Shownoja
Egg
Egg
Kanu Faces Pay Cut to Stay at Arsenal

Post by Shownoja »

http://www.thisdayonline.com/sport/20040224spo01.html

THISDAYSports can exclusively reveal today that Nwankwo Kanu would consider a pay cut if moves by Arsenal to offer him a two-year contract extension materialises.

And even as the Nations Cup bronze medalist weighs his future options, two more clubs have joined the growing list of those ready to put contract papers before him should he decide to leave Highbury this summer.

Premiership surprise team Charlton Athletic and La Liga side Villarreal have also indicated their interest in anticipation that the Japan'93 star may not remain with the Gunners next season. Other clubs mentioned are Premiership sides Manchester City, where Nicholas Anelka a former team mate of Kanu at Arsenal is said to be pushing manager Kevin Keegan to re-unite them, and Middlesbrough. In Spain Real Mallorca and Real Betis are said to be also interested in the lanky player.

But THISDAYSports reliably learnt in Tunisia that word out of Highbury is that Arsene Wenger is now ready to offer Kanu a two-year extension but he will have to take a pay cut because the cash-strapped club can not afford to keep him on his current salary of œ42,000 a week.

The club will also try to sweeten the deal by paying him a lump sum since he could leave on a Bosman at the end off his contract, which ends this year.

Clubs, which sign out of contract players usually make it up for the player by either paying a certain sum directly to the player or building it into his salary. This is why Arsenal could afford to pay Sol Campbell œ80,000-a-week when he joined them for free from city rivals Tottenham a couple of seasons ago.

"Club officials hinted that they were now ready to offer him (Kanu) a two-year extension on the condition that he would have to take a pay cut. The offer was made to him while they (Arsenal) were complaining about Kanu's decision to continue playing for Nigeria in Tunisia even though he was carrying a thigh injury.

"The truth is that if they are really serious Kanu is willing to listen to them. He is aware of the precarious state of the club's finances in the wake of the new stadium they are building. He also knows that Dennis Bergkamp took a pay cut to stay so it's not as if the club is trying to short change him.

"The issue is they are yet to make the offer formal and until they do we won't know how much they intend to reduce his salary. The amount will go a long way in determining if he will remain or leave," explained a source close to the player.

Kanu declined to comment on the issue when approached at the Eagles' Kuriat Palace Hotel, Monastir. He only confirmed that he was defying his club by playing with an injured thigh.
To stop trying is to start dying
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Maybe its time for him to leave Highbury and try at a team where he can get more games
La Reussi
Egg
Egg

Post by La Reussi »

Dodo, i totally agree with you.

La Reussi
In all things and every situation, give thanks to God.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Dodo wrote:Maybe its time for him to leave Highbury and try at a team where he can get more games
Can Kanu handle more games than he currently does? I somehow doubt it.
Mankinka
Egg
Egg

Post by Mankinka »

Dodo wrote:Maybe its time for him to leave Highbury and try at a team where he can get more games
I fully concur with you.
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

Mankinka wrote:
I fully concur with you.
My toughts exactly.
who no know go know.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Nonsense, Kanu is not being offered a new contract period. Bergkamp will be given a rolling extension, Alliardiere is establishing himself as a decent squad player, and with the emergence of David Bentley and Quincy Owusu-Abeyie, Kanu is surplus to requirements. He may well find hinself sipping Pina Coladas with Sylvain Wiltord in a dodgy spanish jersey come next season. Goodbye and good riddance.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

ruff'n'tuff wrote:
Mankinka wrote:
I fully concur with you.
My toughts exactly.
I thought he needed money! If playing time will give him money no problem. However, if he can get the money by sitting on the bench, why stress the guy?
lowzeewee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by lowzeewee »

Just get out of Arsenal...
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

What is the state of his heart at the moment. We dont want another Vivien Marc Foe or Sam Okwaraji on our hands do we?
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

its an insult to footballers worldwide that Nwankwo Uselessness has the privelege to consider himself a professional, this guy is a fossil, bearing the bones of the goldenboy of 96. He is finished, like Pepper Soup on Amokachi's plate. Its time this dinosaur was extinct, he's been putting his feet up for club and country for the past 5 years, its just that they're so big, its taken him so long.
lowzeewee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by lowzeewee »

Kanu with his heart situation,will definitely not last beyond 30,so I suggest he takes the highest-paying job..
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Kanu says he will only move to another big club... most of those clubs are back tracking I think he stays at Highbury
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Its not his call, his contract is up, unless he wants to stick around as ball boy
Futcha22 wrote:Kanu says he will only move to another big club... most of those clubs are back tracking I think he stays at Highbury
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

A player can take a pay cut if there is an offer on the table, I am not sure that Arsenal have ofered Kanu any deal as of yet.

Will update you.
Jimi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Jimi »

I think kanu should jump at any offer from La liga because the style of play there suits his strengths..If he resigns for Arsenal at any price, he still will not get any regular burn and will be used primarily as an insurance player(i.e when the Henry and them are rested or injury situations or mop-up duty). Whatever happens, he needs to leave Arsenal. Wenger has pretty much consigned him to the bench.
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

This story is complete baloney.
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

lowzeewee , your comments are dissapointing.
Mike Ditka quote :
"I didn't say it in those general terms but I said it like that".
Jimi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Jimi »

lagos777 wrote:lowzeewee , your comments are dissapointing.
yeah i did kinda think that was said in poor taste