ademola lookman the 2nd best SE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

gochino
Egg
Egg
Re: ademola lookman the 2nd best SE

Post by gochino »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:42 pm
kawawa wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:34 pm Lookman is a baller and will be a great player for Nigeria. Victor O will bury many of his corner kicks and convert many of his passes. He will have a great Afcon. He is my wild card.
He's very average for the NT, just too bad
90% of the players are average or below average for the NT, so who would you blame?
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Ademola does not play a headless chicken game. Plays with both legs comfortably.
He is comfortable on the ball.
Which other SE forward/midfielder have these qualities, not Chukwueze, not Kelechi, not Moses.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Lookman is our most talented wide player hands down.

Yes he hasn't lit up SE, but then again neither has any other SE wide player.

Chuks and Simon have been average in GWG for long extended periods of time, so this focus on Lookman is stupid frankly.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:37 am Lookman is our most talented wide player hands down.

Chuks and Simon have been average in GWG for long extended periods of time, so this focus on Lookman is stupid frankly.
Why just wide? He’s showing he’s not as good there as he is centrally, stop being so rigid. Simon is probably our most consistent wide player…the one you love to hate lol…let’s try Lookman behind the striker else he might continue to underwhelm and get benched by your boy Simon
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:05 am
vancity eagle wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:37 am Lookman is our most talented wide player hands down.

Why just wide? He’s showing he’s not as good there as he is centrally, stop being so rigid. Simon is probably our most consistent wide player…the one you love to hate lol…let’s try Lookman behind the striker else he might continue to underwhelm and get benched by your boy Simon
I kpom this statement. He will be the #1 Nigerian player on my list before anyone else. He has more good days than any other wide midfielder that we have and that is bar no one else. He plays 110% when he us in and not the overhyped wide midfielders we have everywhere.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Sorry but that is just a lie.

Simon has played 60 games for SE. The vast majority of those games he was a piss poor cul-de-sac dancer.

He has had a few good games but nothing more.

He is not any better than Lookman going by his average performance. Lookman has a better goals per game ratio than Simon. (And Chuks as well by the way)

NONE of our wide players have been anything more than AVERAGE for SE. You are lying if you try and say otherwise.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:55 am Sorry but that is just a lie.

Simon has played 60 games for SE. The vast majority of those games he was a piss poor cul-de-sac dancer.

He is not any better than Lookman going by his average performance. Lookman has a better goals per game ratio than Simon. (And Chuks as well by the way)

NONE of our wide players have been anything more than AVERAGE for SE. You are lying if you try and say otherwise.
You no understand ball. The primary role of wingers is to create opportunities for strikers , support the MF and keep the structural shape of the team. Goal scoring is always welcomed but it’s a bonus not a requirement of wingers. Based on the mentioned criteria, LOOKMAN IS NOT a fit for SE as a winger.
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:18 am

You no understand ball. The primary role of wingers is to create opportunities for strikers , support the MF and keep the structural shape of the team. Goal scoring is always welcomed but it’s a bonus not a requirement of wingers. Based on the mentioned criteria, LOOKMAN IS NOT a fit for SE as a winger.
I am pretty sure Lookman will also have a better assist per game average than Simon, I just used the goals as an example because the data is readily available.

Whatever you want to say, the narrative of "Lookman being poor" is really a false narrative, because none of the other options have really proven to be any better over a long period of time.

Lookman at least has the excuse of being new to the team, while Moses Simon has no excuse for his AVERAGE at best returns over SIXTY MATCHES.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:32 am

I am pretty sure Lookman will also have a better assist per game average than Simon, I just used the goals as an example because the data is readily available.

Whatever you want to say, the narrative of "Lookman being poor" is really a false narrative, because none of the other options have really proven to be any better over a long period of time.

Lookman at least has the excuse of being new to the team, while Moses Simon has no excuse for his AVERAGE at best returns over SIXTY MATCHES.
dude why bother arguing with people with zero understanding of the game. Lookman rarely puts a foot wrong, I can't say the same about Moses Simon or Chukwueze.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

ANC wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:11 pm

dude why bother arguing with people with zero understanding of the game. Lookman rarely puts a foot wrong, I can't say the same about Moses Simon or Chukwueze.
Then you don’t watch the games, I am a big champion of Lookman but just in the last 2 games we had he wasted 4-5 FKs and CKs over hitting them poorly, he’s made many poor decisions being selfish when he should pass. He’s more talented than a Simon but he’s also not been able to replicate his club form for the SE…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ANC

Here is the assist averages for Nigeria Super Eagles forwards/midfielders when playing for the Nigerian national team. I list them in order. You asked and here is the data

NAME.................Games.........Assists/Per
1. Victor Osimhen......28..............0.25
2. Ahmed Musa........110..............0.246
3. Victor Boniface**.....5..............0.20 (Too few games)***
4. Kelechi Iheanacho...51..............0.177
5. Ademola Lookman...12..............0.167
6. Moses Simon..........63..............0.16
7. Taiwo Awoniyi**........9.............0.111 (Too few games)***
8. Alex Iwobi.............69.............0.101
9. Terem Moffi..........14..............0.071
10. Joseph Aribo.........28.............0.036
11. Sam Chukwueze.....30.............0.033
12. Frank Onyeka.........16............0.000
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:31 pm

ANC

Here is the assist averages for Nigeria Super Eaglers forwards/midfielders with the NIgerian national tea,m. I list them in order. You asked and here is the data

3. Victor Boniface**....28..............0.20 (Too few games)***
Thank you for helping my case. Ahmed Musa as even you would agree is not even top eleven by any measure. That leaves the up and coming Beast, AKA Victor Boniface. I hope aslo you would agree with me that it is too early to factor him into the discussion. This then leaves Kelechi Ihenacho as the only one ahead of Mr Lookman. Kelechi is not the same Kelechi that he was when he first started, but I digress. So since 2018 he has had about 9 assist. This is still 2023, so since 2022, Lookman has had about 2 assist, this may mean to you that Kelechi is ahead but you should at least agree with me that it is not likely statistically significant.

Kelechi is a big liability on the field.
I am only at peace with Kelechi on the field, when he is far away in the opponents half, he is a disaster waiting to happen whenever he is in the middle of the pack because he is bound to gift the ball to the opposition due to his poor football control. If the ball does not come to his left foot, Kelechi is worse than any grandmother on the ball. Kelechi cannot control the ball to save his life, he cannot dribble an opponent, he lacks confidence, he appears professionally unserious. Should I continue?

Build the team around Lookman and Oshimen, period.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ANC wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:58 pm

ANC

Here is the assist averages for Nigeria Super Eaglers forwards/midfielders with the NIgerian national tea,m. I list them in order. You asked and here is the data

Thank you for helping my case. Ahmed Musa as even you would agree is not even top eleven by any measure. That leaves the up and coming Beast, AKA Victor Boniface. I hope aslo you would agree with me that it is too early to factor him into the discussion. This then leaves Kelechi Ihenacho as the only one ahead of Mr Lookman. Kelechi is not the same Kelechi that he was when he first started, but I digress. So since 2018 he has had about 9 assist. This is still 2023, so since 2022, Lookman has had about 2 assist, this may mean to you that Kelechi is ahead but you should at least agree with me that it is not likely statistically significant.

I am only at peace with Kelechi on the field, when he is far away in the opponents half, he is a disaster waiting to happen whenever he is in the middle of the pack because he is bound to gift the ball to the opposition due to his poor football control. If the ball does not come to his left foot, Kelechi is worse than any grandmother on the ball. Kelechi cannot control the ball to save his life, he cannot dribble an opponent, he lacks confidence, he appears professionally unserious. Should I continue?

ANC

I will not argue with data. You are correct that he has two assists and those were against Sao Tome e Principe. However, I am not certain that it helps your case, either.

Take a look at Iwobi. He is way down the list. Given, he has played further back in the middle that most of us wish. Yet, he provides goal scoring opportunities than most but those do not show up statistically because our forwards have not utilized them IMO.

Asa for Lookman, he just has not shown in the SE shirt that he is much better than others. See Moses who is pilloried here, how much is Lookman's assist better than those of Moses? Then look at Chukwueze who is widely celebrated here, look at his assist ratio?

Bottomline for me is the likes of Lookman and Chukwueze have underwhelmed when playing for Nigeria and I believe managers see this as well. This, perhaps, explains why those two regularly do not play a full 90 minutes/game for Nigeria as far as my memory tells me at the moment. Lookman has to prove it on the field for Nigeria before I will give him the status that you seem to arrogate to him. For me, those who have shown us that at both club and NT levels are Osimhen and Iwobi. Looman is just not at that level. Certainly, not now.
Last edited by Enugu II on Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

ANC

How does it help your case? Simon has about the same percentage with 3 times more games. That speaks to his consistency, the more games Lookman plays the likelihood that his stats will decrease are very high…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:29 pm

Then you don’t watch the games, I am a big champion of Lookman but just in the last 2 games we had he wasted 4-5 FKs and CKs over hitting them poorly, he’s made many poor decisions being selfish when he should pass. He’s more talented than a Simon but he’s also not been able to replicate his club form for the SE…
I agree with everything you have said here.

But none of this points to Lookman being any worse than Simon or Chuks.

All our wide players have been POOR overall.

Again Lookman has the excuse of being new to the setup.

What is Simon's excuse after 60 matches ?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:10 pm

ANC

How does it help your case? Simon has about the same percentage with 3 times more games. That speaks to his consistency, the more games Lookman plays the likelihood that his stats will decrease are very high…
No I look at it the other way.

Simon has had 60 games to get the same assist ratio as Lookman, who has clearly played nowhere near his potential.

Simon has reached his peak, Lookman hasn't.

Either way the idea that Simon is so much better than Lookman in a SE shirt is just false.

The truth is that all of Simon, Chuks, and Lookman have been massive dissapointments. So none should be pillored or praised above one another.

Again it comes back to this.

Lookman is still finding his feet, while Simon is a vet, and they are still statistically about even, with Lookman even slightly ahead.

So please stop these false narratives.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ANC

Not only that, if one wants to finesse Simon's case as ANC has attempted with Lookman, one can arue that it is important to note that Lookman's two assists came against Sao Tome when it was much easier to garner assist in two blow out games? Is that not the case? I have nothing against Lookman or any one else BUT the bottomline is Lookman has proven nothing while playing for Nigeria. Maybe he will do so in the future. However, at the moment he has not.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

By the way I think all of our wingers, Chuks, Simon, Lookman, Tella will do much better in a 433 system as opposed to a 442.

The 442 is not ideal for our guys who are actually wide forwards as opposed to natural wingers. We don't really have any natural old school wingers.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:32 pm

ANC

Not only that, if one wants to finesse Simon's case as ANC has attempted with Lookman, one can arue that it is important to note that Lookman's two assists came against Sao Tome when it was much easier to garner assist in two blow out games? Is that not the case? I have nothing against Lookman or any one else BUT the bottomline is Lookman has proven nothing while playing for Nigeria. Maybe he will do so in the future. However, at the moment he has not.
What a nonsense argument.

Didn't Simon also play against the same Sao Tome ?

And also as if they haven't played minnows in the past. You guys are reaching hard. The truth is staring us all in the face.

To be clear, I am dissapointed in Lookman so far.

But Simon and Chuks are also massive dissapointments. You are lying if you try and convince yourself otherwise.

In fact the general ineffectiveness of all of our wide players coupled with our plethora of strikers has made me to believe that 352 is our best option.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:36 pm

ANC

And also as if they haven't played minnows in the past. You guys are reaching hard. The truth is staring us all in the face.

But Simon and Chuks are also massive dissapointments. You are lying if you try and convince yourself otherwise.

In fact the general ineffectiveness of all of our wide players coupled with our plethora of strikers has made me to believe that 352 is our best option.
I agree, I’m really rooting for Lookman to blow these guys out the water and make that position his, hopefully he can at the ANC…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:36 pm

ANC

VE

You should ask what did Simon do against Sao Tome and his minutes. BTW, the use of averages is to help comparison and make useless your point of Simon having played more games. What do you think averages do? If we used number of assists alone, Simon will blow Lookman out of this space. Ut is the use of averages that leads to Lookman doing a bit better. Hopefully, you understand now what averages do.

Overall, I agree that most of our wide players are underwhelming. No one will argue against that. The point here is Lookman cannot be arrogated to a place where he does not now belong. He has not proven it yet. Let him do that first.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

E11

I would expect Lookmans numbers (averages) to go up not down, for the simple fact that he isn't really playing that well at all and can only really improve. He hasn't fully acclimatized to the SE, and when he finally does its reasonable to assume his numbers will improve.

Despite not playing well his averages are slightly better than Simon who has had 60 matches to fully integrate himself into the SE set up and has already hit his pinnacle. He ain't gonna get better.

So yes my point on Lookman only playing 10 matches compared to Simon's 60 is a very significant one.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:56 pm E11

I would expect Lookmans numbers (averages) to go up not down, for the simple fact that he isn't really playing that well at all and can only really improve. He hasn't fully acclimatized to the SE, and when he finally does its reasonable to assume his numbers will improve.

Despite not playing well his averages are slightly better than Simon who has had 60 matches to fully integrate himself into the SE set up and has already hit his pinnacle. He ain't gonna get better.

So yes my point on Lookman only playing 10 matches compared to Simon's 60 is a very significant one.
I wont argue with the above. If Lookman does that, it certainly will help the team. I watch some of his club games and he certainly is capable of doing that for Nigeria. As for Simon, I like the guy because when he is on, he is certainly one of our strong offensive weapons bar his crosses. He gets through tight corners and can up the tempo significantly for the team.