Ade Bankole invited as back up goalkeeper

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Ade Bankole invited as back up goalkeeper

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Just letting you all know that Ade Bankole has agreed to be the back up goalkeeper to Rotimi Sunday for the Ireland match.

Before you guys start having a fit, just bear in mind that he was invited because of the short notice. It was only yesterday that it became certain that Enyeama and Etafia would not be available for the Ireland game.

Of course the NFA could have got another local keeper or one of the more experienced European keepers but time did not make it possible. Whoever it was would need to go and get a visa, start making travel plans, have his name forwarded to the travel agency etc.

In the case of Bankole, he did not need to do any of that. All he needs to do is catch a train down from Crewe.

I do not think he will play anyway and by the time the Jamaica game comes up, Greg Etafia would have arrived. The only thing I would blame the NFA for is not clearing all this with the clubs before hand.

Sadly, they will not learn from this and we all know that such mix-ups will repeat themselves in the near future.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Dodo said
Dont be suprised to see Ademola Bankole on the bench
viewtopic.php?t=11309&highlight=ademola+bankole
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Dodo Mayana was using his common sense to put two and two together. However, now, it is no longer speculation, the NFA have formally contacted him, Bankole has agreed and a letter is being faxed over to his club as we speak.

Unless Mario Gradi pulls the plug on the plan, Ademola Bankole will file out for the Eagles against Ireland on Saturday.
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

Well. It is a bit sad that we "waste" a place like that for someone who clearly has no future whatsoever in the Eagles camp.

Having said that, kudos to Bankole for being a sport and filing out for his country.
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

good move, afterall he's a Nigerian and a professional. Naija had in the past capped traders in the far east when they couldnt get enough player to complete 11 for a friendly.
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
so__so_scandalous
Egg
Egg

Post by so__so_scandalous »

:roll: What about DANNY SHITTU who is a fantastic young prospect?
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Why wasn't Layeni considered? He doesn't need a visa since he holds Italian passport.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

PapaK wrote: Naija had in the past capped traders in the far east when they couldnt get enough player to complete 11 for a friendly.
Haba, na wia you get that kin information?
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
mystic

Post by mystic »

Well, inviting Bankole was always available as a last option. The NFA and Coaching staff simply must learn to plan better. Bankole is basically a waste of our time, but in this case he is a necessary evil.

A lot of this crap would be avoided if there was better communication between the FA/Coaching Staff and the Players. Long term planning with a calender that is 90% set for the year would also help.
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

mystic wrote:Well, inviting Bankole was always available as a last option. The NFA and Coaching staff simply must learn to plan better. Bankole is basically a waste of our time, but in this case he is a necessary evil.

A lot of this crap would be avoided if there was better communication between the FA/Coaching Staff and the Players. Long term planning with a calender that is 90% set for the year would also help.
Now this is what I call constructive criticism. Nice one Mystic. I hope the NFA will take to this advice.
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

Stefano Layeni, a 6-4 GK, plays for Como in the Serie B and uncapped by Nigeria ... anyway why do I bother??
Enugu II
Re: Ade Bankole invited as back up goalkeeper

Post by Enugu II »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Just letting you all know that Ade Bankole has agreed to be the back up goalkeeper to Rotimi Sunday for the Ireland match.

Before you guys start having a fit, just bear in mind that he was invited because of the short notice. It was only yesterday that it became certain that Enyeama and Etafia would not be available for the Ireland game.

Of course the NFA could have got another local keeper or one of the more experienced European keepers but time did not make it possible. Whoever it was would need to go and get a visa, start making travel plans, have his name forwarded to the travel agency etc.

In the case of Bankole, he did not need to do any of that. All he needs to do is catch a train down from Crewe.

I do not think he will play anyway and by the time the Jamaica game comes up, Greg Etafia would have arrived. The only thing I would blame the NFA for is not clearing all this with the clubs before hand.

Sadly, they will not learn from this and we all know that such mix-ups will repeat themselves in the near future.

AYO:

Just a nice bit on Ade Bankole. If he acytually gets into a game he will set a Nigerian record for the longest years bbetween internationals. His previous appearance was in a 1991 international for Nigeria, 13 years ago! I believe the current record is held by Wole Odegbami.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Who has seen Bankole keep of recent?
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
mystic

Post by mystic »

Enugu II wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Just letting you all know that Ade Bankole has agreed to be the back up goalkeeper to Rotimi Sunday for the Ireland match.

AYO:

Just a nice bit on Ade Bankole. If he acytually gets into a game he will set a Nigerian record for the longest years bbetween internationals. His previous appearance was in a 1991 international for Nigeria, 13 years ago! I believe the current record is held by Wole Odegbami.

EII:

You are da man! Very interesting titbit.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

EII,

You are forgetting that Ademola Bankole kept in the friendly matches in the run up to France'98 against FC Zurich or FC Grasshoppers when we were camping in Switzerland and preparing for WC'98. He was called up by Bora after the SE was in a state of goalkeeping crisis. The goals FC Grasshopper or FC Zurich scored against us was blamed on him and was told by the then NFA chairman Mumuni Aminu to leave camp immediately after the game. It was after that debacle that Peter Rufai was called in at the last minute.

He is not new to the NFA last minutes crisis the team is in right now...

Enugu II wrote:

AYO:

Soldier of Fortune...
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Nice one Mystic and well said. Except the same mess is going to continue because this morons in the glass house could care less on what happens in the future. But expect Robbynice to continue to support them... What a pity... :cry: :cry:

mystic wrote:Well, inviting Bankole was always available as a last option. The NFA and Coaching staff simply must learn to plan better. Bankole is basically a waste of our time, but in this case he is a necessary evil.

Soldier of Fortune...
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

27 wrote:Dodo said
Dont be suprised to see Ademola Bankole on the bench
viewtopic.php?t=11309&highlight=ademola+bankole
just call me Winch :D
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Its a Goal wrote:Who has seen Bankole keep of recent?
the last time i checked he was second choice at Crewe
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Dodo wrote:
Its a Goal wrote:Who has seen Bankole keep of recent?
the last time i checked he was second choice at Crewe
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Ayo Akinfe, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

As far as I know, Ademola Bankole has not made any appearances for Crewe this season. He is the second keeper there.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Bankole has definitely not made an appearance for Crewe this season. They have been using that chap from Trinidad and Tobego (Banks I think his name is).
To stop trying is to start dying
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Shownoja wrote:Bankole has definitely not made an appearance for Crewe this season. They have been using that chap from Trinidad and Tobego (Banks I think his name is).
Clayton Ince is his name. He will be playing for Trinidad and Tobago over the weekend when they face Scotland.

I do not know if Bankole got injured during the season but for a lot of the time, he was not even on the bench. I would very much doubt if he is match fit at the moment.