Quietly, Juande Ramos has transformed Spurs with more 2 come

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

CMS
Eaglet
Eaglet
Quietly, Juande Ramos has transformed Spurs with more 2 come

Post by CMS »

Ramos on right lines
Juande right to let unhappy stars leave, says Roberts
Last updated: 31st July 2008

Championship 2008/09

Ramos with his 'top-quality' signings

I think you've got to give this manager a chance. I believe he's cleared out the dead wood, there's young exciting players there and I think Tottenham could be a surprise package this year.

FEYENOORD TOURNAMENT
Live on Sky Sports
Celtic v Tottenham
5.30pm, Fri, Sky Sports 2
Feyenoord v B Dortmund
7.30pm, Fri, Sky Sports 2
Tottenham v B Dortmund
4.30pm, Sun, Sky Sports 2
Feyenoord v Celtic
6.45pm, Sun, Sky Sports 2

Juande Ramos has been splashing the cash and ringing the changes as he prepares for his first full season in charge of Tottenham Hotspur.

Robbie Keane and Paul Robinson lead the list of familiar faces that have gone with Luka Modric, Geovani dos Santas, Heurelho Gomes and now David Bentley passing them on the Seven Sisters Road in the other direction.

Sky Sports viewers will get the chance to see how the Ramos' revolution is taking shape this weekend when Tottenham take on Celtic and Borussia Dortmund in the Feyenoord Jubilee tournament.

Before the action kicks-off, Sky Sports News asked former Spurs skipper Graham Roberts what he makes of the coming's and going's and their chances of success this season...

Sky Sports News: It's been an interesting first pre-season for Juande Ramos, 10 players have left, six have been brought in and over £50 million has changed hands...

Graham Roberts: I think the manager has looked at the whole situation and I think last year the players let the club down. It wasn't good enough for the team and then you get the likes of Robbie Keane coming out and saying he wants to play for his boyhood heroes - you've got to let players go when they're in that mood. You don't want an unhappy situation in the dressing room. I know people who are there and they said they've been walking around with their heads down and just moping about, so you've got to get rid of them.

Dimitar Berbatov has to go as well. I think the chairman has done the right thing, he's got a lot of money for Keanie, who was a great player for Tottenham. I think he had a one in two goal record, which is fantastic but he had already made up his mind that he wanted to play for Liverpool. They would have had a moping player all season, so you have got to let them go. With Berbatov as well the chairman is holding out to get the best price that he can and let this manager rebuild a team to get us into the top four.

SSN: With so much upheaval in one summer perhaps this is not going to be the season when Spurs and Juande Ramos turn things around. Maybe a lot of Spurs fans might have thought that last year was the blip when they finished 11th after a miserable start, but it could be difficult this time as well...

GR: Well I'm not so sure - although I think that the manager is fantastic. The first thing he has done is gone in and got them fit. They'll be the fittest team in the Premier League this year because I know the way they have been training and I know what he did to them this year.

Earlier in the season they were faltering in the last parts of games and conceding silly goals from set-pieces, but he sorted that out and we won the Carling Cup. I believe there are only two or three things that Tottenham have a chance of winning: the FA Cup, the League Cup and the Uefa Cup. If they won another cup this year the supporters would be delighted, but let's give him three years to sort this club out because there are some average players there. He's bringing the right players in, he's bringing quality in and that's what we need.

SSN: What do you think the fans will make of David Bentley?

GR: I think they will be absolutely delighted. He's made it known that there's only one club that he wants to play for and he's got a great cross and a fantastic shot. Aaron Lennon, when he plays, will go down the line and cross the ball and nine times out of 10 it will go behind, but Bentley will make sure they go in front of goal. I think the likes of Darren Bent and the other strikers that the manager wants will be absolutely delighted with him. He's a top-quality player, he's an England international and I think it's the right way forward.

SSN: You've talked about that strike partnership of Dimitar Berbatov and Robbie Keane - were they the best in the Premier League on their day?

GR: Yes, but I saw them at the beginning of last season when they played Everton and Berbatov threw all of his toys out of the pram. He wanted to go, he was moping around the pitch and we lost 3-1. In the first four or five games he wasn't interested, but when they got to the cup final he seemed to decide he wanted to stay. He wants to move on this summer, but Manchester United will have to pay the price that Tottenham want.

The chairman's right to hold out because Berbatov's a wonderful player. He's the best player they have got so they're not going to give him away on the cheap. The chairman has the right to do that. There's a few names being thrown around like Arshavin and Milito, so bring them in or let the manager have the funds. If you look at all the players going out - Tanio, Robinson, Chimbonda, Keane, Cerny, Berbatov, Malbranque, Kaboul... there's got to be £70million there. I'm sure this manager would love some of that to spend.

SSN: With the players they've got there now, who would be in your starting XI for the opening game of the season against Middlesbrough?

GR: Gomes will come in as goalkeeper, Hutton will play right-back, Woodgate and King are the best two in Britain at centre-back when they're fit and I'd put Bale at left-back, even though we haven't seen the best of him. In midfield you've got the likes of Modric, Dos Santos, Jenas, Bentley and Bostock - who has played in every pre-season game and has been fantastic. I think they'll play with five in midfield against Boro with Bent up front on his own. But I would think in the next week to 10 days there will be another three signings at least.

SSN: If there are signings to come, what would be the priorities in terms of positions?

GR: I think you need a ball-winner. I like Didier Zokora, but I don't think he's strong enough to be in there. I think Arshavin would be a good signing and Milito will come in for definite. I also think we desperately need a left-sided player to give us that balance. I don't know who that might be.

SSN: If they get those players, where could Spurs finish next season?

GR: I think they can finish in the top seven. I don't think we'll break into the top four; it will be two seasons before we do that. But I think you've got to give this manager a chance. I believe he's cleared out the dead wood, there's young exciting players there and I think Tottenham could be a surprise package this year.
http://nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

Keshi said that before the team arrived South Africa that he told skipper Joseph Yobo that the Eagles were going to win the Cup but the former Everton defender did not believe.
:lol:
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Big losses for Spuds

Keane
Chilmbonda

We go see how well Modric adapts to the prem, Modric looks slow to me.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Chimbonda is a loss but not a big loss - Gunter is solid cover as well as Zokora. Hutton owns the spot though.

Keane - well Dos Santos plays his position. And does it so well - he has already formed partnership. I hope Berbatov doesnt go but if he cant think and realise that hey we can actually get top 4 or win a major trophy then perhaps he shud go.

I cant wait - 4-2-3-1

Gomes

Hutton King Woodgate Bale/Gilberto

Zokora/Huddlestone Modric/Jenas

Bentley Gio Lennon

Bent

Arshavin is on his way and so is his Russian counterpart Pavlychenko!!
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

In some ways I am a bit petrified in the light of the massive change in the locker room. Although we've acquired top notch talents, the loss of first team players gives me a bit of concern.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Sir Cristao wrote:Chimbonda is a loss but not a big loss - Gunter is solid cover as well as Zokora. Hutton owns the spot though.

Keane - well Dos Santos plays his position. And does it so well - he has already formed partnership. I hope Berbatov doesnt go but if he cant think and realise that hey we can actually get top 4 or win a major trophy then perhaps he shud go.

I cant wait - 4-2-3-1

Gomes

Hutton King Woodgate Bale/Gilberto

Zokora/Huddlestone Modric/Jenas

Bentley Gio Lennon

Bent

Arshavin is on his way and so is his Russian counterpart Pavlychenko!!
Good line-up but I doubt very much that Arshavin is on his way.
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

Gotta agree with the article. Ramos has done a great job of cleaning house and bringing in quality. They dont have to be stars - just quality.

With that and Ramos' fatastic abilty to make tactical decisions that win matches, I think this is DEFINITELY the year that Spurs enters the top four. No question.

People will talk a lot about Berbatov, but IMO that dude is gonna be a case of addition by subtraction.

Your best player has to consistently lift the team and Berba is NOT cabale of it. Dump the luxuury player on someone who has C.Ronaldo and Rooney to carry him. That is not a luxury spurs can afford. They can stiffen their team with that money and move on higher.
"Jose Mourinho favoured directness and used to throw Robert Huth or John Terry up front when Chelsea were chasing the game, a ploy associated with the industrial era of English football management."
- The Guardian UK, November 26, 2007
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Ziontrain wrote:Gotta agree with the article. Ramos has done a great job of cleaning house and bringing in quality. They dont have to be stars - just quality.

With that and Ramos' fatastic abilty to make tactical decisions that win matches, I think this is DEFINITELY the year that Spurs enters the top four. No question.

People will talk a lot about Berbatov, but IMO that dude is gonna be a case of addition by subtraction.

Your best player has to consistently lift the team and Berba is NOT cabale of it. Dump the luxuury player on someone who has C.Ronaldo and Rooney to carry him. That is not a luxury spurs can afford. They can stiffen their team with that money and move on higher.
So whom do reckon will exit the top four?

IMO Spurs have improved but noway they will finish in the top four this season, their D is immensely reliant on two of the most injury prone CB's to ever grace the EPL and their CM is OK but extremely inconsistent.
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
REDSPYDA
Egg
Egg

Post by REDSPYDA »

the only prob with spurs is their backline. injury wise and berba's attitude..
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Liverpool and Rafa to get the sack!
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

toyin133 wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
With Agger back, Keane and Barry set to join it's highly unlikely that Liverpool won't at the very least finish in the top four. There is no doubt teams such as Spurs, Pompey, Man City, Villa and Everton are no longer the cannon fodder they were just a few seasons ago but they all have a very long way to go before they truly can cement their place as a top four side. Quality wise the big four is still very much superior but also it's takes 9 months of positive results to sustain a spot in the top four, the UEFA cup sides tend have long periods where they struggle immensely to put together a string of positive results that is vital if they're to have any chance of nicking a CL spot.
Detective Bunk Moreland

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

It was Jol that transformed Spurs, not Ramos.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

toyin133 wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
the only way pool fails to finish top 4 is a long injury spell to torres. Spurs has improved but it will be tough for them to break into top4 this season mostly b/c their team will need the first half of the season to jell which will put them a bit behind. If they can finish 5th or 6th & go far or win the UEFA Cup they would have done very well. The expectation of a Top 4 finish is more realistic next season.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Lennon on the left wing? Hmmm...But, for sure it'll be a 4-2-3-1 unless he brings another striker in. But even still, you have too much in midfield to play anything else.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Spurs are not a stronger with this moves, you lose a leader in Keane and you replace am with a young player in Gio, who plays like a support striker, not a proven goal poacher. Also you lose another proven defender in Chilmbonda and you replace am with an unproven defender in Hutton. And then you go and buy a Modric who will take time to get used to the speed of the premiership.

Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]wiseone[/color] wrote: It was Jol that transformed Spurs, not Ramos.
Gotta agree with that. Back to back 5th place finish made Spurs a serious team again.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Ziontrain wrote:Gotta agree with the article. Ramos has done a great job of cleaning house and bringing in quality. They dont have to be stars - just quality.

KPOM.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

ohenhen1 wrote:Spurs are not a stronger with this moves, you lose a leader in Keane and you replace am with a young player in Gio, who plays like a support striker, not a proven goal poacher. Also you lose another proven defender in Chilmbonda and you replace am with an unproven defender in Hutton. And then you go and buy a Modric who will take time to get used to the speed of the premiership.
Its a different kind of game. Ramos is gonna keepit tighter at the back and break with speed, which is not the best setup for Keane, who is getting old and was never fast to begin with.

Ramos will get bagfuls of goals from his entire midfield: Lennon-Jenas-Modric-Bentley. Then he has Huddletone who can give you some from set players and Zakora who can break from deep if given that freedom.

Up front he will have dos santos, Arshavin and whatever number 9 replaces Berbatov.

Only thing I will critisise Ramos for is that he is contining the Spurs mistake of wasting Adel Taarabt's immense talent. And that looks set to continue.

Men he better not let the mistake of dumping that kid and let him end up in Wenger's hands, within just 18 months at Emirates that kid will have blown up the sport - and been sold for 18 million. :lol: :lol:

As for Leage table, Man U and Chelsea are too deep to fall out of the top 4. Even if they dont win, they will be in the top 4.

Liverpool too is very deep, but looks to me like a team that could continue to underperform. I am not convinced that Torres will do it again - he will b found out this time around. And Keane is not got be a hit. So that will leave them with Gerrard and the Kopp-ites show again. Might not be enough.

Arsenal will either win the premiership this season - or fall apart and fail to be in top 4. We have the talent - no question on that. Question is whether the boys' heads are in the right place. If they stay focused, the title is theirs. If they are still acting like small boys they will lose focus along the way and fall apart big time, with no old heads around to hold it together. We will see which one......

So top 4 is doable for Ramos. he justs needs to finish the job of fleecing Man U for Berbatov - and spending that money on a CD and a #9. To do so he will need to take Daniel Levy out back and slap him silly a couple times. Just take the 25MM and run - if Berbatov is still in a SPurs jersey when the season begins, he will go in a tailspin and wont be worth even 10MM by the time it ends.!!!!
"Jose Mourinho favoured directness and used to throw Robert Huth or John Terry up front when Chelsea were chasing the game, a ploy associated with the industrial era of English football management."
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

As for me all the talk here na textbook matter - null and void and of no effect - unless Tottenham repeat that fantabulous 5-1 spanking of Arsenal. Even if e no reach 5-1, make dem just make persin belle sweet :P.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Ziontrain wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:Spurs are not a stronger with this moves, you lose a leader in Keane and you replace am with a young player in Gio, who plays like a support striker, not a proven goal poacher. Also you lose another proven defender in Chilmbonda and you replace am with an unproven defender in Hutton. And then you go and buy a Modric who will take time to get used to the speed of the premiership.
Its a different kind of game. Ramos is gonna keepit tighter at the back and break with speed, which is not the best setup for Keane, who is getting old and was never fast to begin with.

Ramos will get bagfuls of goals from his entire midfield: Lennon-Jenas-Modric-Bentley. Then he has Huddletone who can give you some from set players and Zakora who can break from deep if given that freedom.

Up front he will have dos santos, Arshavin and whatever number 9 replaces Berbatov.

Only thing I will critisise Ramos for is that he is contining the Spurs mistake of wasting Adel Taarabt's immense talent. And that looks set to continue.

Men he better not let the mistake of dumping that kid and let him end up in Wenger's hands, within just 18 months at Emirates that kid will have blown up the sport - and been sold for 18 million. :lol: :lol:

As for Leage table, Man U and Chelsea are too deep to fall out of the top 4. Even if they dont win, they will be in the top 4.

Liverpool too is very deep, but looks to me like a team that could continue to underperform. I am not convinced that Torres will do it again - he will b found out this time around. And Keane is not got be a hit. So that will leave them with Gerrard and the Kopp-ites show again. Might not be enough.

Arsenal will either win the premiership this season - or fall apart and fail to be in top 4. We have the talent - no question on that. Question is whether the boys' heads are in the right place. If they stay focused, the title is theirs. If they are still acting like small boys they will lose focus along the way and fall apart big time, with no old heads around to hold it together. We will see which one......

So top 4 is doable for Ramos. he justs needs to finish the job of fleecing Man U for Berbatov - and spending that money on a CD and a #9. To do so he will need to take Daniel Levy out back and slap him silly a couple times. Just take the 25MM and run - if Berbatov is still in a SPurs jersey when the season begins, he will go in a tailspin and wont be worth even 10MM by the time it ends.!!!!
\

Am not too impressed, you lose leaders in Keane and Chilmbonda and possibly Berbatov, and you replace am with young players like Hutton, Gio and Modricand etc. Unproven players in the premiership,

And also i actually believe Arsenal is a stronger side this season, most of our players will return from injury, Rosicky and Van Persie, also you have the addition of Nasri and Vela, a player that will be much improved this year will be Bendtner.. Arsenal will be a strong contender for the premiership, worst case scenario top 4.

Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

I just hope Spurs fans can better manage their expectations. Don't expect miracles. Ramos is only human. Give him time. I get the feeling although he's highly rated now, he'd get the sack at the end of the season if/when Spurs finish outside of the top 4. Coaches like Wenger and Ferguson have been at the helm for eons. The best teams are not built in a season. Even if Ramos is bringing in the best players now, give him time before expecting results.
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

ohenhen1 wrote:
Am not too impressed, you lose leaders in Keane and Chilmbonda and possibly Berbatov, and you replace am with young players like Hutton, Gio and Modricand etc. Unproven players in the premiership,

And also i actually believe Arsenal is a stronger side this season, most of our players will return from injury, Rosicky and Van Persie, also you have the addition of Nasri and Vela, a player that will be much improved this year will be Bendtner. Arsenal will be a strong contender for the premiership, worst case scenario top 4.
We didnt know last year who would be injured or for how long. Do you have some sort of ctrytal ball for next years injuries? Of course you dont.

In any case, I think this year is win-or-bust for us. These young guys have to go all the way or the club will have to take a different direction, because the spirit will be broken. So I dont think we will even be top four if we dont win it. We HAVE to.

As for Spurs, Dawson dey, King dey, Jenas is a leader on that team, Lennon is becoing a talisman, same as keane was. And a lot of bad belle characters like Chimbonda, Defore, Berbatov will go. Berba is NOT a leader as you claim. He plays for himself and he is rather immature for a guy of his age and experience.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Ziontrain wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:

And also i actually believe Arsenal is a stronger side this season, most of our players will return from injury, Rosicky and Van Persie, also you have the addition of Nasri and Vela, a player that will be much improved this year will be Bendtner. Arsenal will be a strong contender for the premiership, worst case scenario top 4.
We didnt know last year who would be injured or for how long. Do you have some sort of ctrytal ball for next years injuries? Of course you dont.

In any case, I think this year is win-or-bust for us. These young guys have to go all the way or the club will have to take a different direction, because the spirit will be broken. So I dont think we will even be top four if we dont win it. We HAVE to.

As for Spurs, Dawson dey, King dey, Jenas is a leader on that team, Lennon is becoing a talisman, same as keane was. And a lot of bad belle characters like Chimbonda, Defore, Berbatov will go. Berba is NOT a leader as you claim. He plays for himself and he is rather immature for a guy of his age and experience.
Disagree totally ZT.

What can easily unfold is an Arsenal team that is talented enough to challenge for the league crown, even be top of the table for months but lose out in the last month due to lack of depth, experience and mediocre back-line. I have no doubt this team can and will challenge for silverware but the question remains can we sustain said challenge come the do or die months in the spring of 2009? IMO we're still short a quality CB and an experienced CDM.
Detective Bunk Moreland

bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Spurs won't finish in the top 10 this season.
I doubt they will be able to compete with the likes of Villa, Man City, Pompey, Everton, Blackburn, Newcastle... let alone the Top 4. I m sure, they will surprise some teams in a few games. But over the course of 38 games, i don't see them do much damage.

With almost 11 new players and 1/3 of them have never played in the current league ... No veterans. Their leaders are supposed to be the likes of Lennon, Zokora, Huddlestone, King. We all know that both center backs will definitely get injured a few games into the season and for long periods of time...

It was good to offload some unhappy campers like Keane, Chimbunda, but this team simply lacks experience and leadership to compete for 9 months with the top 8 teams. Darren Bent is their main striker? Come on now ...