Kanu can stay at Arsenal - for now

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Kanu can stay at Arsenal - for now

Post by King Futcha »

Arsenal have won their battle with the Nigerian football federation for Kanu to solve their forward injury crisis in Sunday's Premiership game at Aston Villa, Arsene Wenger has revealed.

Kanu: Nations Cup delay (LaurenceGriffiths/GettyImages)

Nigeria coach Christian Chukwu had previously insisted Kanu would have to conform to FIFA regulations on the release of players ahead of the African Nations' Cup tournament.

However, Kanu made a personal appeal to the coach this week to delay his release until after Sunday's game at Villa Park and it would seem as though this has paid off.

Wenger told the club's website: 'Kanu will be available for the Villa game. He will go at the earliest on Monday and at the latest on Wednesday.

'The other options up front are reduced to a strict minimum as we have Jeremie Aliadiere, Sylvain Wiltord and Dennis Bergkamp still out.

'Dennis and Sylvain are not far away. They have a small chance to be competitive for the FA Cup tie on January 24 but not the Carling Cup tie before then.'

Wenger believes there is still a 'small chance' that Kanu could be able to face Middlesbrough next Tuesday night in the first leg of his side's Carling Cup semi-final.

However, either way, he will at least be delighted to have the striker available this weekend as injury has already ruled out Bergkamp, Wiltord and Aliadiere.

At Villa Park, Kanu should therefore partner Thierry Henry, ruling out the need for Wenger to turn to youngster David Bentley or push either Robert Pires or Fredrik Ljungberg up front.

The African Nations' Cup tournament starts on January 24, with FIFA allowing countries to call up players a full 14 days ahead of that date and, if Nigeria had stuck to their original plans, Kanu could have been suspended for the Villa fixture.

Your views on this story? Email [email protected]

That should clear up the RUMORS that he already left
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Pemba
Egg
Egg

Post by Pemba »

Kanu should stay at Arsenal throughout the Nations Cup. :lol:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

If you can get him to play on Sunday, why not on Tuesday too? In fact, you can push the envelope further and try for the next weekend....
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
monkeypost
Egg
Egg

Post by monkeypost »

Kali,

I feel the same as well, let him just stay away.
If you give me Cole and I give you Gallas, surely, SURELY, you owe me money? waka man on the Cole Gallas transfer saga
Ofoje2
Egg
Egg

Post by Ofoje2 »

What a joke, these pimps have no respect for Afreican football.
Enugu Rangers Supporters Club
Bell

Post by Bell »

FORGET ABOUT THE IMMEDIATE IMPACT ON TUNISIA...

Look down the road and see what this would do to future call ups. Here are some impacts that I see in particular order:

1) Blatter took the side of nations and has been fighting the clubs. This undermines him and other countries instead of showing solidarity. And it strengthens the clubs.
2) This would be used when other (mostly non-European) countries seek release of their players.
3) The impression has been left that the ANC is not that important. CAF should have something to say about the discounting of its flag product.
4) Other players will keep this in their hip pocket, ready to use the same excuse in the future.
5) As a show of gratitude, I can see these clubs now demanding that players arrive no more than one day before even WC qualifiers.
6) The NFA and C3 have now created a frankenstein of excuses which they may not be able to kill ever.
7) Potential unhappiness in camp by creating two classes of players - those who need to justify their places and those who can just stroll in and collect their shirt (having phoned in their sizes from their bases).
8) Inability of the team to gell, affecting their chances of winning.
Bell
MARIO PUZZOH
Egg
Egg

Post by MARIO PUZZOH »

Why should NFA and CCC agree to such a plan in the first place. This is why players will never be released in time for games....
DO ME I DO YOU GOD NO GO VEX.