Who remembers MONDAY ODIAKA?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Jimi
Eaglet
Eaglet
Who remembers MONDAY ODIAKA?

Post by Jimi »

I just remembered this guy after watching an old tape of the Flying Eagles..This guy had so much talent and promise, but I don't recall him ever getting a senior cap. Matter of fact, I don't recall him ever playing for the Eaglets either. Does anyone know about what path his career took after graduating from the Flying Eagles? I'm sure he is done playing now anyway....
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

As U said he never got a senior cap because his head was propaly too small,so they gave the cap that the junors wear,too sad.
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
mke1010
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mke1010 »

Omy2k-Go to sleep it's past your bed time.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Monday Nkemdilim Odiaka.Now,that was a striker!I was up close with the ACB of Lagos team that he was part of,before and after his u-20 World Cup exploits,but I believe his efforts at going abroad did not quite pan out.He was no frills,could not dribble much,but had a rather direct attitude towards scoring.He was part of the Franklin Howard led Flying Eagles of 1985.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Monday Odiaka was one of the most lethal strikers we ever had. He won the Golden Boot in Moscow in 1985. Need anyone saw any more..
You can control your choice, but not necessarily the consequences
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

obong itatex wrote:Monday Nkemdilim Odiaka.Now,that was a striker!I was up close with the ACB of Lagos team that he was part of,before and after his u-20 World Cup exploits,but I believe his efforts at going abroad did not quite pan out.He was no frills,could not dribble much,but had a rather direct attitude towards scoring.He was part of the Franklin Howard led Flying Eagles of 1985.
I thought Andrew Uwe led the 1985 Flying Eagles.

Odiaka was a striker that was good enough for the Flying Eagles then. Not really a striker with finesse. He did his best while it lasted. Got some call ups to the senior national team but never really made it big there.
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

wanaj0 wrote:
obong itatex wrote:Monday Nkemdilim Odiaka.Now,that was a striker!I was up close with the ACB of Lagos team that he was part of,before and after his u-20 World Cup exploits,but I believe his efforts at going abroad did not quite pan out.He was no frills,could not dribble much,but had a rather direct attitude towards scoring.He was part of the Franklin Howard led Flying Eagles of 1985.

Odiaka was a striker that was good enough for the Flying Eagles then. Not really a striker with finesse. He did his best while it lasted. Got some call ups to the senior national team but never really made it big there.

I remember him vividly. But like Jimoh Balogun, he never made it to the Senior team.
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Wanajo,thanks for the heads up.Yes,it was Andrew Uwe.Howard was earlier.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

Another nigerian footballer who probably didn't fulfil his potential. Funny enough, my memories of Odiaka are of a big bully...can remember watching him (as an ACB player) single-handedly decimate a Flash flamingoes team that was solely made up of Eaglets & flying eagles players in Lagos sometime in 87/88. The guy terrorised those young boys.

Q
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Jimi, I remember M. O. Odika.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Odiaka never fulfilled his "potential" because he was a grown-assed man masquerading as an Under-20 player.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

obong itatex wrote:Wanajo,thanks for the heads up.Yes,it was Andrew Uwe.Howard was earlier.
I almost got confused. Franklin started playing for nigeria from 1979
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Monday Odiaka was one of the stars in U-20 team that did very well in qualifiers and stormed the world in Moscow'85. He was teammates with players like Samson Siasia, Austin Igbinabaro, Wasiu Ipaye, Niyi Adeleye, Titus Mba, Wahidi Akanni and others who came back home with the bronze medal.

He had a good career with ACB and in the U-20 team but after that he disappeared from the scene and never heard about him again. He had some memorable games and won't forget the goals he scored against Cameroun in Lagos that qualified us for Moscow'85. I believe he scored a hattrick that day..
Soldier of Fortune...
Akamoke

Post by Akamoke »

The only image I ave of him was being sent off in the 3rd/4th playoff in the WYC in 1985
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

MI5 wrote:Monday Odiaka was one of the stars in U-20 team that did very well in qualifiers and stormed the world in Moscow'85. He was teammates with players like Samson Siasia, Austin Igbinabaro, Wasiu Ipaye, Niyi Adeleye, Titus Mba, Wahidi Akanni and others who came back home with the bronze medal.

He had a good career with ACB and in the U-20 team but after that he disappeared from the scene and never heard about him again. He had some memorable games and won't forget the goals he scored against Cameroun in Lagos that qualified us for Moscow'85. I believe he scored a hattrick that day..
Walahi, you have killed me with that Nigeria v Cameroun U-20 qualifier you just mentioned.
Remember the ojoro cameroun did by playing 10 (yes, 10) added injury minutes before beating the boys 3-0 in the first leg in Yaounde?

one of my best Flying eagles matches of all time. Amazingly, the whole country were so confident we were gonna overturn that 3-0 deficit.....3 goals overturned in no time in the 2nd leg, only for Cam to score one before half time. 2 more goals were duly added in the 2nd half for their takeaway. Awesome. Kai, some guys don give blood for that country to no avail. Good memories.

Q
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

memories of a distant and fruitful past
TD
Egg
Egg

Post by TD »

Akure4Life wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:

I remember him vividly. But like Jimoh Balogun, he never made it to the Senior team.
He made it TO the senior team, he just didn't make it IN the senior team, being oddly enough kept out of the SE by Samson SiaSia among others.

CICOB has already offered a good explanation of why this may have been so.
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

TD wrote:
Akure4Life wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:

He made it TO the senior team, he just didn't make it IN the senior team, being oddly enough kept out of the SE by Samson SiaSia among others.

CICOB has already offered a good explanation of why this may have been so.

Actually he DID make it INTO the senior team. He played at least three games. His debut was against Cote d'ivoire on Jan 4 1987 and he played two more games later in the year against Togo and Liberia.

Remember Paul Hamilton (who took the team to the 1985 WYC) was the Coach then and he drafted in many plyers from that team into the senior side including Odiaka, Osaro Obobaifo, Mike Odu, Mark Annunobi etc.

Nigeria was desperately in need of a quality striker at this time. Yekini was still very raw, Wole Odegbami was too inconsistent, Siasia was also very young so Odiaka had the chance to claim the spot for himself. Unfortunately he failed to step up to the plate and faded out of the scene soon afterwards.
YNWA
mystic

Post by mystic »

quickie wrote:
MI5 wrote:Monday Odiaka was one of the stars in U-20 team that did very well in qualifiers and stormed the world in Moscow'85. He was teammates with players like Samson Siasia, Austin Igbinabaro, Wasiu Ipaye, Niyi Adeleye, Titus Mba, Wahidi Akanni and others who came back home with the bronze medal.

Walahi, you have killed me with that Nigeria v Cameroun U-20 qualifier you just mentioned.
Remember the ojoro cameroun did by playing 10 (yes, 10) added injury minutes before beating the boys 3-0 in the first leg in Yaounde?

one of my best Flying eagles matches of all time. Amazingly, the whole country were so confident we were gonna overturn that 3-0 deficit.....3 goals overturned in no time in the 2nd leg, only for Cam to score one before half time. 2 more goals were duly added in the 2nd half for their takeaway. Awesome. Kai, some guys don give blood for that country to no avail. Good memories.

Q

Thanks for bringing back those great memories. Those were the days when the Flying Eagles were a sight to behold.
WINNERMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by WINNERMAN »

l remember Odiaka very well. He made it into the green eagles under Hamilton while still at ACB,shortly after this he decided to pursue a proffesional careerbin europe.Some agents convinced him that the shortest route to europe is via Senegal to France.Senegalese league then was awash with French scouts.

He went from ACB to Senegal and somehow never made it in Senegal,he claimed he had injuries etc .He came back to Nija after about 5yrs and was recalled to the SE by CW but didnt make the cut. This is what l can recall from an interview he gave to complate footbal around 92/93.

l hope l remembered rightly.l think he and others in the flying eagles of that time actually used their correct ages,at least my father who was a teacher made me believe this.
As for me and my house we will serve the LORD.-----JOSHUA 24 VS 15.

Life in Christ is not a change,it is an exchange. Your ashes for his beauty,your weakness for his strenght ,your destiny assured and a bonus of a victorious life on earth. lt is an irrestitible exchange.
mister dolly

Post by mister dolly »

The Flying Eagles of the eighties feared no one and ruled the African terrain with relative ease...Cameroon chopped five goals in that return leg with Odiaka getting a hattrick...those were the days...

I also remember Oliha's heroics when we beat Egypt away in freezing cold by if I remember rightly 4 goals to 1 in another WYC qualifier.
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by original skeepolah »

He played with Samson Siasia, Austin Igbinabaro, Wasiu Ipaye, Niyi Adeleye, Titus Mba, Wahidi Akanni, Asaro Obobaifo,Mike Odu, AGU Alloy (GK),OBI Christian (GK), Ndubuissi OKOSIEME, Titus MBA, Niyi ADELEYE, Uche IKEOGU, Godwin EVEH, Kingsley ONYE,Akanni WAIDI, AndrewUWE, Michael DOMINIC, Augustine IGBINABAR, Mark ANUNOBI....he was tied for highest goal socrer along with spainish players Sebastian Losada & Fernando Gomez...........

He played his game locally, but was never the finesse star he was in the youth team..... Okosieme, Agu ,Uwe,Siasia, Igbinabaro, Obobaifo, & Obi lfirted with and played for the eagles.Onye also made a name for himself locally, but Odiaka was only a shadow of what he was in the world cup....He never retained that flash that made him so exciting in the WC....he fell into the annals of youth players(u 21) that were stars at that level but were never able ro transfer that skill to the senior level..very unfortunate, but he was not totally hopeless..He did his thing at the club level, just that making the senior team never materialized..... :wink:
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
rust09
Egg
Egg

Post by rust09 »

I remember the nigerian press building up Monday Odiaka to the high heavens as this super striker. But he was always more gra-gra than anything else. Once they realised this, i think they moved on to Etim Esin.