Taiye Taiwo admits, difficult to be part of World Cup team

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

NigerianPrince
Egg
Egg
Taiye Taiwo admits, difficult to be part of World Cup team

Post by NigerianPrince »

World Cup 2014: Taiwo downbeat about Nigeria recall
By Oluwashina Okeleji --- BBC Sport, Lagos
6 April 2014 Last updated at 13:33 GMT

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26912143 --> Link to view.

Bursaspor's Taye Taiwo admits he is pessimistic over his chances of making Nigeria's World Cup squad this summer.

He has been pushing for a recall with 34 appearances for his Turkish side in all competitions so far this season.

Current Super Eagles left back Elderson Echiejile has played just 16 times and only four times since moving to Monaco on loan in January.

"I played at the last World Cup, but this one will be very difficult to be a part of," Taiwo told BBC Sport.
Despite not having made his league debut for Monaco at the time Echiejile was preferred to Taiwo for the Super Eagles most recent friendly against Mexico on 5 March.

Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi is expected to announce his provisional squad for the World Cup next week and fans and media have been pushing for Taiwo to be recalled.

The 28-year-old though does not think his name will be on the list.

"I've been out of the set up for over two years so I am rather pessimistic than optimistic this time around.

"Without playing a part they won the African Cup of Nations and qualified for the World Cup, so realistically my chances of making it are very slim."

Taiwo won the last of his 59 caps for Nigeria in a 0-0 Nations Cup qualifying draw to Rwanda in February 2012.

Even though he has spent over two years in the international wilderness, Taiwo still hopes for a return to the fold someday.

"I've not retired from the national team, so I will always make myself available for selection," he said.

"I have always said it will be a great honour to represent the country once again.

"The selection is done by the coach [Keshi] and it is his sole responsibility to decide who is good enough to make the squad.

"The key to the future is to keep doing well with my club and hope for better days.

"As a young player I was given my debut, so I can't completely rule out a happy ending to my international career."

Taiwo made his debut for Nigeria in 2004 and played at the 2006, 2008 and 2010 Nations Cup.

He has enjoyed professional stints in France, Italy, England, Ukraine and Turkey.

Peace and God bless,
from the one and only,
NigerianPrince...
papilo
Egg
Egg
Re: Taiye Taiwo admits, difficult to be part of World Cup te

Post by papilo »

Echiejile has not made the bench again today for Monaco even though Kurzawa is still injured. They would rather play a natural right back at left back in Andrea Raggi. Taiwo deserves a chance.
yes o
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

I've always though Echiejile had a very low football IQ; So I'm not surprised he has not made the bench at Monaco. But hey, Ke$hi can do whatever he wants...
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Schillachi wrote:I've always though Echiejile had a very low football IQ; So I'm not surprised he has not made the bench at Monaco. But hey, Ke$hi can do whatever he wants...
Dude he started the last two games, he was out of this last game with an illness...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
fledy
Egg
Egg

Post by fledy »

At this point in time Taiwo brings absolutely nothing to SE!
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Who backs up Echiejile at left back at the World cup?Francis?Oshaniwa? Ahead of Taiwo?
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Obong wrote:Who backs up Echiejile at left back at the World cup?Francis?Oshaniwa? Ahead of Taiwo?
Joel Obi :taunt:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

fledy wrote:At this point in time Taiwo brings absolutely nothing to SE!
And you know this because?
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Everyone is trying to use the WorldCup to resurge their careers. If TT likes, let him overlap to the dressing room and score a free kick from the center circle, he ain't going to Brazil!
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Obong wrote:Who backs up Echiejile at left back at the World cup?Francis?Oshaniwa? Ahead of Taiwo?
My brother, the thing weak me o! I have said it here that If Naija should go to the WC 2014 with the players we have then experienced back ups must be drafted to the team. Imagine TnT, Martins, Osaze, Nsorfor, Uche Ike and his brother. I mean this squad would be deep if only Keshi could use his brain beyond totalitarianism.

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

***Breda = Br****
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

kolinzo wrote:
My brother, the thing weak me o! I have said it here that If Naija should go to the WC 2014 with the players we have then experienced back ups must be drafted to the team. Imagine TnT, Martins, Osaze, Nsorfor, Uche Ike and his brother. I mean this squad would be deep if only Keshi could use his brain beyond totalitarianism.
Has any of the aforementioned been to the World Cup and how do you rate their performance ? Let's see if you'll refrain from your usual opaks and use your brain like you suggested to Keshi!
Last edited by Ekorian on Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

Hmmmmmmm Kolinzo at it again..
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

This is one situation i just don't understand, Taiwo has been playing consistently for the past 2 seasons :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

fledy wrote:At this point in time Taiwo brings absolutely nothing to SE!
Really? u need to keep your emotions in check. Please explain why Uwa, Francis and Juwon are ahead of Taiwo with a straight face.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

This is getting rather pathetic by both players and some part of the media. I would like to know the 'Mr Fix it' behind this interview and that of Osaze. All of a sudden they want to go to the WC.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Janganza
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Janganza »

Taye won go world cup :D Agbaya to the core. First game bobo go injure come occupy space. Abeg make all these grandfathers go look after their health :biggrin:
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Ekorian wrote:
kolinzo wrote:
Has any of the aforementioned been to the World Cup and how do you rate their performance ? Let's see if you'll refrain from your usual opaks and use your brain like you suggested to Keshi!
The funny thing is, this is way over your head!

***Breda = Br****
Metho scorpion
Egg
Egg

Post by Metho scorpion »

papilo wrote:Echiejile has not made the bench again today for Monaco even though Kurzawa is still injured. They would rather play a natural right back at left back in Andrea Raggi. Taiwo deserves a chance.
..Taiwo will need to change his name to one Ahinowa or aniowa name...such as Tachili Tauchukwu Keshileke...any of the name go earn him attention...
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

Never thought TT was ever good enough to play for the SE. Even at his peak when most were in love with his shooting, his fotballing intelligence was always below professional standards. Now that he has lost a bit of his athletism due to age, I simply don't see how he can make it now.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

spastic wrote:Never thought TT was ever good enough to play for the SE. Even at his peak when most were in love with his shooting, his fotballing intelligence was always below professional standards. Now that he has lost a bit of his athletism due to age, I simply don't see how he can make it now.

Taiwo's exclusion from the Super Eagles has nothing to do with his ability as a footballer and if it was purely based on ability he would be on the team. Having said that, it is clear that Keshi puts as much importance in the 'intagibles' that a player brings to the the team as the quality of a players' footballing ability. Of course, Keshi as the SE coach has the right to pick the players that he feels are best for Nigeria and thus far we cannot argue with the results.

Now moving forward, the key for the Super Eagles in my opinion is the form of Juwan Oshaniwa. Oshaniwa is a good player but needs to prove that he can function at the highest level. If he is able to prove during the buildup to the Mundial that he can be a viable option for us, then Taiwo will probably not be missed.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Personally don't understand why this is news. Taiwo is simply making a logical conclusion
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

maceo4 wrote:
Joel Obi :taunt:
Not a bad idea at all.
yes o
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

spastic wrote:Never thought TT was ever good enough to play for the SE. Even at his peak when most were in love with his shooting, his fotballing intelligence was always below professional standards. Now that he has lost a bit of his athletism due to age, I simply don't see how he can make it now.
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: But the same goes to most of our current players too