Obasi: Country should come first before individual gain

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oyek
Egg
Egg
Obasi: Country should come first before individual gain

Post by oyek »

Obasi shattered by World Cup snub

Obasi says he is shocked by World Cup snub
by Staff Reporter
Thursday May 08, 2014. 17:46
Schalke 04 forward Chinedu Obasi has said he is shocked to be left out of Nigeria provisional squad for the World Cup in June.

Obasi has bounced back to close to his best after a long-term injury and said he believed he had done enough to be named by coach Stephen Keshi on a 30-man provisional squad for Brazil 2014.

"I wonder the criteria used to invite players to the Nigeria national team, it was a shock to me for not making the list, for in as much as I want to be calm about the whole thing, but looking at who have been invited, looking at where you are, it’s difficult,” Obasi told a Lagos radio.

“I respect everybody invited for the camp, I wish them all the best. I don't want to sound somehow. The country should come first, before individual gain."

The Beijing 2008 Olympic silver medalist also warned that Bosnia-Herzegovina could be more than a match for Nigeria at the World Cup going by the quality of players they will line up in Brazil.

"If you look at Bosnia and Argentina players listed, where they play and how regular they are for their clubs, Nigeria has no chance against them, but Nigeria is not a team to be written off no matter what. I wish them well," said Obasi, who featured at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
http://africanfootball.com/news/427938/ ... d-Cup-snub
If not for Jesus, where will i be?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Obasi: Country should come first before individual gain

Post by vancity eagle »

oyek wrote:
"I wonder the criteria used to invite players to the Nigeria national team, it was a shock to me for not making the list, for in as much as I want to be calm about the whole thing, but looking at who have been invited, looking at where you are, it’s difficult,” Obasi told a Lagos radio.

my guy we are WONDERING THE CRITEREA AS WELL.

Respect to Obasi a true Nigerian warrior, coming back from a longterm injury to be unjustly snubbed by a pimp, crook, a hustler and conman named Steven Ke$hit.

Obasi should have hired TONY HARRI$$ if he wanted to go to WC.
opine
Egg
Egg

Post by opine »

oyek wrote:Obasi shattered by World Cup snub

by Staff Reporter
Schalke 04 forward Chinedu Obasi has said he is shocked to be left out of Nigeria provisional squad for the World Cup in June.

Obasi has bounced back to close to his best after a long-term injury and said he believed he had done enough to be named by coach Stephen Keshi on a 30-man provisional squad for Brazil 2014.

“I respect everybody invited for the camp, I wish them all the best. I don't want to sound somehow. The country should come first, before individual gain."

The Beijing 2008 Olympic silver medalist also warned that Bosnia-Herzegovina could be more than a match for Nigeria at the World Cup going by the quality of players they will line up in Brazil.

"If you look at Bosnia and Argentina players listed, where they play and how regular they are for their clubs, Nigeria has no chance against them, but Nigeria is not a team to be written off no matter what. I wish them well," said Obasi, who featured at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
I want to believe he was misquoted on the above highlighted. I feel sorry for him not making the 30 man list cos you can tell he has been working hard to impress.
Tbite wrote: Yes we have deadweights in our team like Babatunde, Agbim and Rueben, but they are OUR deadweights! Our wastepipes! We must love them...respect them! If we do not love our junks....who will? Who?
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

opine wrote:
oyek wrote:Obasi shattered by World Cup snub

by Staff Reporter

I want to believe he was misquoted on the above highlighted. I feel sorry for him not making the 30 man list cos you can tell he has been working hard to impress.
Yea i agree. i think he was saying on paper, based on where the players ply their trade, we look like we dont have a chance against both teams.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

:roll: Obasi needs to work harder, he could try to aim for the AFCON in Morroco, it's only 6 months away.. He should have taken his advice when he played in SA vs Argentina( a wayward shot he took instead of squaring a simple pass), Greece( with the sitter miss) and Korea.. Didn't assist or create anything
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Thu May 08, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Bigpokey24 wrote::roll: Obasi needs to work harder, he could try to aim for the AFCON in Morroco, it's only 6 months away
Actually I think he should work less....and get to the level of Gabriel Reuben.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tbite wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote::roll: Obasi needs to work harder, he could try to aim for the AFCON in Morroco, it's only 6 months away
I'm surprised Shittu couldn't pull some strings to get him into the team...anyways Sidon look activated
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The Notorious B!GGESTMAN »

oyek wrote:

I am with you 100% Chinedu, but you should not say things like this. If what he said is true, no doubt Keshi will hold it against him and never invite him again.

Not only should Obasi have made the squad, but he should've taken Moses starting position. Inexplicable decision by Keshi. I am sure Babatunde hasn't stopped laughing since the list came out...
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

maceo4 wrote:
Tbite wrote:
I'm surprised Shittu couldn't pull some strings to get him into the team...anyways Sidon look activated
Frankly, it's NONSENSE if Obasi is truly shocked at his exclusion...
At best, it was a 50-50 (if not a long) shot, given that's he's been mostly out for close to two seasons, just returned and has never played under Keshi.

PS: For me, more troubling from the article (if quoted accurately) is the churlish notion that where you play should be the criteria for invitation. :oops:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
ora
Egg
Egg

Post by ora »

I have become muted on Keshits antics.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

someone who hasn't played for the SE in 4 years wants to go to the worldcup? Never been with the team, zero chemistry etc..Please he should focus on getting a contract. No one knows if Schalke will extend his current deal. Ideye, Ogu etc were all dropped ( they were all part of the setup) none of them went bonkers , but trust this dude to run his mouth
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Tbite wrote:
But why do we keep comparing Agbalumo to tangerine ?

Reuben is competing with Ogude and John Ogu ..( And frankly a fit Reuben ..catch 22 ..is in my books better than Joh Ogu )

Obasi at the mom is competing with Babatunde/Vic Mo/ Oduamadi and Nosfority ...
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
patrick
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by patrick »

Bigpokey24 wrote:someone who hasn't played for the SE in 4 years wants to go to the worldcup? Never been with the team, zero chemistry etc..Please he should focus on getting a contract. No one knows if Schalke will extend his current deal. Ideye, Ogu etc were all dropped ( they were all part of the setup) none of them went bonkers , but trust this dude to run his mouth
FYI,

In November 2011, Obasi played against Botswana in Benin and Keshi was in charge.
Keshi also explained that Obasi is one player he would have loved to include in the provisional squad but because he had never been with the team since he assumed duty as head coach, the time left for the team to prepare for Brazil 2014 will not allow him to properly get him integrated into the team.

http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ne ... -wcup-list
When people try to use you to gain relevance, just ignore them. It pains them even more
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Based on his rantings, I would never give him another look. You can't disparage national team members simply because you were left out :!:

Cheers.
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

He is disappointed because he wasnt invited, but he should be more matured about it and stop making comments that might rule him out from future invitations under Keshi
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

vancity eagle wrote:
oyek wrote: "I wonder the criteria used to invite players to the Nigeria national team, it was a shock to me for not making the list, for in as much as I want to be calm about the whole thing, but looking at who have been invited, looking at where you are, it’s difficult,” Obasi told a Lagos radio.
Respect to Obasi a true Nigerian warrior, coming back from a longterm injury to be unjustly snubbed by a pimp, crook, a hustler and conman named Steven Ke$hit.

I honestly feel Obasi's pain and that of Aluko. I wonder what barometer that was used to select the players to be frank
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

I agree 100% with Obasi. You can't be playing week in and week out in the bundesliga only to be insulted by seeing the likes of Babatunde called ahead of you.
Last edited by bushboy on Thu May 08, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Odas wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
oyek wrote: "I wonder the criteria used to invite players to the Nigeria national team, it was a shock to me for not making the list, for in as much as I want to be calm about the whole thing, but looking at who have been invited, looking at where you are, it’s difficult,” Obasi told a Lagos radio.
I honestly feel Obasi's pain and that of Aluko
Aluko theoretically should have had no chance. But when junks like Babatunde and Nwofor make the squad, then why shouldn't the boy from Hull City.

It is obvious Aluko does not have a PayPal account.....
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
patrick
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by patrick »

Nov 11, 2011 9:00:00 AM
The Super Eagles will begin another era under Stephen Keshi with this game against the Zebras in Benin City

PROBABLE LINEUPS
NIGERIA

Enyeama
Taiwo, Yobo, Ambrose, Okonkwo
Obasi, Joel Obi, Ayila, K Uche
I Uche, Ideye

BOTSWANA

Dambe
Thuma, Gabonamong, Ohilwe, Ramohibidu
Mongala, Mogorosi, Selolwane, Mafoko
Moloi, Ramatlhakwane
Nigeria begin another process of rebuilding less than a year after their last re-enactment under Samson Siasia.

Former captain Stephen Keshi is now in charge of the team and everyone waits to see the cards he hopes to play in returning the Super Eagles to the pinnacle of African football after failing to qualify for next year’s continental showpiece.

In this, his first outing, Keshi will be under pressure to prove that he was the right choice to take over the leadership of the squad.

Botswana are having the fairy tale of their lives after having qualified for the Africa Cup of Nations for the first time in their history. The Zebras have worked hard so far and will hope to use this game against Nigeria to prepare for their group matches against fellow west African sides Ghana, Mali and Guinea.

Coach Stanley Tshosane has seen his stock rise in his home country after qualifying the Zebras for Afcon 2012, and he will be keen to show the whole of Africa that his charges can trouble the Super Eagles and mix it up with the best the continent has to offer.

Botswana will be without key members of their squad including goalkeepers Modiri Marumo and Noah Maposa. Nigeria welcome back goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama into the squad. Kaduna United’s Jude Aneke has been invited to join the Super Eagles squad to replace West Brom’s Peter Odemwingie, who asked to be excused so that he could recover from persistent knee problems.
http://www.goal.com/en/news/1715/match- ... v-botswana
When people try to use you to gain relevance, just ignore them. It pains them even more
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

nemi2002 wrote:He is disappointed because he wasnt invited, but he should be more matured about it and stop making comments that might rule him out from future invitations under Keshi
Well what he discuss was "On Paper" stuff. On paper stuff cannot be disputed, it is not subjective and should not cause any uproar!

I am not too familiar with the Bosnian squad outside of Dzeko and Pjanic but if Bosnia are truly on paper better then that should not be cause any uproar...these are not subjective terms!

The reality is that on paper this is nowhere near the best Nigerian team.....but like Obasi even said, that might not mean anything.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Bigpokey24 wrote::roll: Obasi needs to work harder, he could try to aim for the AFCON in Morroco, it's only 6 months away.. He should have taken his advice when he played in SA vs Argentina( a wayward shot he took instead of squaring a simple pass), Greece( with the sitter miss) and Korea.. Didn't assist or create anything

Please do us all a favor and go jump off of a cliff.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

bushboy wrote:I agree 100% with Obasi. You can't be playing week in and week out in the bundesliga only to be insulted by seeing the likes of Babatunde called ahead of you.

I agree

I am with Obasi 110%

He has every right to call out that shameless crook

Anyways Ke$hit can go handle South Africa after the WC. The sooner we get rid of this loser the better.
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

vancity eagle wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote::roll: Obasi needs to work harder, he could try to aim for the AFCON in Morroco, it's only 6 months away.. He should have taken his advice when he played in SA vs Argentina( a wayward shot he took instead of squaring a simple pass), Greece( with the sitter miss) and Korea.. Didn't assist or create anything

Please do us all a favor and go jump off of a cliff.
Fat chance. You will have to persuade him to leave his stinking bedroom first! :lol:
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong