Osaze was "was promised a Nations' Cup spot" - KOC

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

tedder89
Egg
Egg
Osaze was "was promised a Nations' Cup spot" - KOC

Post by tedder89 »

Apologies if this has already been posted.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... Keshi.html

World Cup 2014: Peter Odemwingie's recall to the Nigeria squad could prove a masterstroke by coach Stephen Keshi
Peter Odemwingie brings something to the table that every coach requires of players going into a tournament - the ability to play and excel in multiple positions

By Colin Udoh, World Cup Nation: Nigeria

Channels television, by far the biggest and most respected news channel in Nigeria, described it as 'the return of the prodigal son'. And it could well turn out to be Stephen Keshi's singular pivotal selection decision.
For the uninitiated, this is in reference to the recall of striker Peter Osaze Odemwingie to the Nigeria squad after nearly two years. Few will disagree.

Not even Odemwingie himself, who took to his favourite channel of communication, Twitter, to joke wryly about it in Nigerian pidgin English 'Anyhow una call am I am pleased to be back', loosely meaning 'Anyhow you people call it, I am pleased to be back.'

Nigeria have struggled to find goals under Keshi. Mostly because Emmanuel Emenike is the primary source of goals, and his absence, for whatever reason, endows the Nigeria strikeforce with the notorious efficiency of the country's power supply.

Brown Ideye, long his acknowledged sidekick, is a skillful, hard and honest worker. But prolific he is not. At least not in Nigeria colours. So, after his quiet apology to the Nigeria federation and to Keshi, Odemwingie's return was only the next, logical if somewhat bold, step.

Many hope that this will mark the beginning of the end of a saga that has been two years in the making, although it could be argued that the tendrils took root much earlier.

He had fallen out with previous coaches in the past, running the gauntlet from Amodu Shuaibu, through Berti Vogts to Samson Siasia (twice) before his final tiff with current boss Stephen Keshi.Which explains the reservations in certain quarters that Odemwingie may only be putting up a humble front in order to buy himself a seat on the plane to Brazil, and remains a loose cannon, a simmering volcano waiting to erupt at the first hint of tinder.

As Media Officer of the Nigeria national team, as well as a long-time friend, I played a big part in getting Odemwingie to embrace Twitter.The first thing he told me when he came into the team camp was: "I will give you lots of trouble." To which my response was: "Before you tweet any of your crazy stuff, let me know."

We had a good laugh about it. But I am braced for trouble.Few journalists know Odemwingie as much as I do. We have been friends for over 12 years and there are few more honest players around the block.Peter Osaze Odemwingie does not back off from a fight. More precisely, Peter Osaze Odemwingie does not back off from a fight if he believes he is in the right. Or there is some injustice.It is at once his greatest strength, and his biggest flaw.

He did not go berserk just because he was left out of the 2013 Nations Cup squad. He did it because he felt betrayed.
Two days before the squad was announced, he had assurances he would be in it. And made personal and professional arrangements. And then he wasn't.

While that does not justify his outburst, it does offer some mitigation. But that was a slightly different man. Osaze is now husband and a father, and he has matured well. Old things are gradually passing away.
Not completely, though. And for that Nigerians should all be thankful. Because the team needs that old Osaze back, too. Just sans the hemorrhaging lip.

Odemwingie will speak his mind and be done with it, then get on with a good laugh. There is no baggage with him. What you see is what you get.
And he will fight. Every step of the way. It is that quality that endeared him to a nation. During those dark days when fans slammed the Super Eagles for lack of trying, Odemwingie was regarded by all and sundry as 'the most committed' Super Eagle. It was like a trademark.

Because he would leave it out there on the pitch. Every single time. And if there is one quality Keshi has consistently stressed he needs his current posse of Eagles players to have, it is that.
Additionally, Odemwingie brings something else to the table that every coach requires of players going into a tournament: the ability to play and excel at multiple positions.

He can play as a lone striker, as a part of a two-man strike force, as a support striker, as a wide forward/midfielder on either flank with a two-footed ability, or as a creative midfielder.
Just like Emenike, he can unload with venomous precision from any direction and position, with either foot and is no slouch at taking on, and beating, his man.

Age may have slowed him down a mite, but he will track back with the quickest of them, and his grit remains undulled.
Going into a tournament with a personnel ceiling, where injuries and suspensions can decimate squads at short notice, multiple-faceted players like Odemwingie are an absolute essential.

Which may explain the collective sense of relieved acceptance of his return.
The choice was between Ideye and Odemwingie. Keshi ditched the tried, and picked the tested, who will now have to prove he can be trusted.
IN OUR CASE, THERE IS NO TIME. NO SERIOUS COACH WILL TAKE THIS JOB

Pasamu on Monday Feb 22nd 2010 post ANC- I will repeat again, the problem with our team was never ability or personnel or even tactics . It was confidence pure and simple confidence. Amodus team had been spat upon, anything they did was dismissed as insignificant To see the team going from playing brilliant football against Egypt in the first half of their ANC group game to the cautious fear laden play against Zambia was sad.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Osaze was "was promised a Nations' Cup spot" - KOC

Post by Undertaker »

Ke$hi......... didn't receive his envelope on time. That was why he was drop from the ACN list.
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

Time to move on with this Nonsense. Journalist Trying to Recreate what is no Longer Relevant..

Jeeez.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Given assurances by whom? Anyway, this is old news. No need to rehash this stuff from the past.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
tedder89
Egg
Egg

Post by tedder89 »

That is the question; while it looks like whatever differences have been resolved, it might explain his initial annoyance. I would hope if he's disappointed again, it is handled much better this time.....
metalalloy wrote:Given assurances by whom? Anyway, this is old news. No need to rehash this stuff from the past.

Pasamu on Monday Feb 22nd 2010 post ANC- I will repeat again, the problem with our team was never ability or personnel or even tactics . It was confidence pure and simple confidence. Amodus team had been spat upon, anything they did was dismissed as insignificant To see the team going from playing brilliant football against Egypt in the first half of their ANC group game to the cautious fear laden play against Zambia was sad.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Nigeria have struggled to find goals under Keshi. Mostly because Emmanuel Emenike is the primary source of goals, and his absence, for whatever reason, endows the Nigeria strikeforce with the notorious efficiency of the country's power supply.

Kai, major undercover yabs...
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

tedder89 wrote:Apologies if this has already been posted.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... Keshi.html

World Cup 2014: Peter Odemwingie's recall to the Nigeria squad could prove a masterstroke by coach Stephen Keshi
Peter Odemwingie brings something to the table that every coach requires of players going into a tournament - the ability to play and excel in multiple positions

By Colin Udoh, World Cup Nation: Nigeria

Channels television, by far the biggest and most respected news channel in Nigeria, described it as 'the return of the prodigal son'. And it could well turn out to be Stephen Keshi's singular pivotal selection decision.
For the uninitiated, this is in reference to the recall of striker Peter Osaze Odemwingie to the Nigeria squad after nearly two years. Few will disagree.

Not even Odemwingie himself, who took to his favourite channel of communication, Twitter, to joke wryly about it in Nigerian pidgin English 'Anyhow una call am I am pleased to be back', loosely meaning 'Anyhow you people call it, I am pleased to be back.'

Brown Ideye, long his acknowledged sidekick, is a skillful, hard and honest worker. But prolific he is not. At least not in Nigeria colours. So, after his quiet apology to the Nigeria federation and to Keshi, Odemwingie's return was only the next, logical if somewhat bold, step.

Many hope that this will mark the beginning of the end of a saga that has been two years in the making, although it could be argued that the tendrils took root much earlier.

He had fallen out with previous coaches in the past, running the gauntlet from Amodu Shuaibu, through Berti Vogts to Samson Siasia (twice) before his final tiff with current boss Stephen Keshi.Which explains the reservations in certain quarters that Odemwingie may only be putting up a humble front in order to buy himself a seat on the plane to Brazil, and remains a loose cannon, a simmering volcano waiting to erupt at the first hint of tinder.

As Media Officer of the Nigeria national team, as well as a long-time friend, I played a big part in getting Odemwingie to embrace Twitter.The first thing he told me when he came into the team camp was: "I will give you lots of trouble." To which my response was: "Before you tweet any of your crazy stuff, let me know."

We had a good laugh about it. But I am braced for trouble.Few journalists know Odemwingie as much as I do. We have been friends for over 12 years and there are few more honest players around the block.Peter Osaze Odemwingie does not back off from a fight. More precisely, Peter Osaze Odemwingie does not back off from a fight if he believes he is in the right. Or there is some injustice.It is at once his greatest strength, and his biggest flaw.

He did not go berserk just because he was left out of the 2013 Nations Cup squad. He did it because he felt betrayed.
Two days before the squad was announced, he had assurances he would be in it. And made personal and professional arrangements. And then he wasn't.

While that does not justify his outburst, it does offer some mitigation. But that was a slightly different man. Osaze is now husband and a father, and he has matured well. Old things are gradually passing away.
Not completely, though. And for that Nigerians should all be thankful. Because the team needs that old Osaze back, too. Just sans the hemorrhaging lip.

Odemwingie will speak his mind and be done with it, then get on with a good laugh. There is no baggage with him. What you see is what you get.
And he will fight. Every step of the way. It is that quality that endeared him to a nation. During those dark days when fans slammed the Super Eagles for lack of trying, Odemwingie was regarded by all and sundry as 'the most committed' Super Eagle. It was like a trademark.

Because he would leave it out there on the pitch. Every single time. And if there is one quality Keshi has consistently stressed he needs his current posse of Eagles players to have, it is that.
Additionally, Odemwingie brings something else to the table that every coach requires of players going into a tournament: the ability to play and excel at multiple positions.

He can play as a lone striker, as a part of a two-man strike force, as a support striker, as a wide forward/midfielder on either flank with a two-footed ability, or as a creative midfielder.
Just like Emenike, he can unload with venomous precision from any direction and position, with either foot and is no slouch at taking on, and beating, his man.

Age may have slowed him down a mite, but he will track back with the quickest of them, and his grit remains undulled.
Going into a tournament with a personnel ceiling, where injuries and suspensions can decimate squads at short notice, multiple-faceted players like Odemwingie are an absolute essential.

Which may explain the collective sense of relieved acceptance of his return.
The choice was between Ideye and Odemwingie. Keshi ditched the tried, and picked the tested, who will now have to prove he can be trusted.
..took Keshi how long to figure this out now?When folks said the selection process 'just get as E be' folks go dey try justify am by saying "leave am" :roll:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

paj wrote:..took Keshi how long to figure this out now?When folks said the selection process 'just get as E be' folks go dey try justify am by saying "leave am" :roll:
Dude let the man do his job...He is the coach. He made the decisions that won us the ANC and he will do whatever it takes to do well at the world cup. I hope you know doing well at the WC means a lot more to Keshi than it does to you and me...People sha...smdh
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

tedder89 wrote:That is the question; while it looks like whatever differences have been resolved, it might explain his initial annoyance. I would hope if he's disappointed again, it is handled much better this time.....
Are you kidding? If osaze didn't have a history of misyarning on Twitter and shooting off at the mouth, then maybe that will be plausible. The guy has a history, so anybody trying to make up a story now for him is just lying.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Conservative: a liberal who has been mugged by reality.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Robbynice wrote:
paj wrote:..took Keshi how long to figure this out now?When folks said the selection process 'just get as E be' folks go dey try justify am by saying "leave am" :roll:
Dude let the man do his job...He is the coach. He made the decisions that won us the ANC and he will do whatever it takes to do well at the world cup. I hope you know doing well at the WC means a lot more to Keshi than it does to you and me...People sha...smdh
......I hope he does as well @ the world cup as he did @ the ANC..we dey leave am to do him job..but when tory like this comot then U no fit ignore am...na who U dey shake ya head to? :evil: wanna step outside buddy? :twisted:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
tedder89
Egg
Egg

Post by tedder89 »

I am yet to read anything from KOC that didn't ultimately pass the sniff test; that is what Osaze told him.
muzines wrote:
tedder89 wrote:That is the question; while it looks like whatever differences have been resolved, it might explain his initial annoyance. I would hope if he's disappointed again, it is handled much better this time.....
Are you kidding? If osaze didn't have a history of misyarning on Twitter and shooting off at the mouth, then maybe that will be plausible. The guy has a history, so anybody trying to make up a story now for him is just lying.

mojojojo
Egg
Egg

Post by mojojojo »

Beautifully written by KOC. I wonder why KickOff.com does not have articles with such standards?
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Osaze must be dropped.............this 10min sub will wreck our WC team-spirit.
A player that may not get more than 35mins 'playing-time' (on our way to Semis :thumbs: ) is just not worth the bother.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Keshi spoke to Osaze before the ANC - FACT!!!!

Make out of that what u will.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

One would think Nigeria destroyed all teams with Osaze as their forward.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Ugbowo wrote:Keshi spoke to Osaze before the ANC - FACT!!!!

Keshi spoke to me before the ANC as well so kini big deal... :taunt: :taunt: :twisted:

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Cristao II wrote:One would think Nigeria destroyed all teams with Osaze as their forward.

:agree:
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Robbynice wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:Keshi spoke to Osaze before the ANC - FACT!!!!

Keshi spoke to me before the ANC as well so kini big deal... :taunt: :taunt: :twisted:
:thumbs: :thumbs:
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Yeah we saw that in 2010 with Obagoal especially against Argentina. Osaze is only good when he does not have to think.

Give him a clear through ball at goal and gbam! He will come good.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Well Nigeria far from failed at the last Afcon so what ever old 5hit this dodgy Nigerian journalist is trying to regurgitate will choke him :thumb:
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
GIN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GIN »

Keshi has the ANC to show that he made the right decision pre ANC 2013. Now we are going to see how "humble" osaze is going to be when he arrives in Brazil.
Samson Siasia speaking FACTs about 2008.
“I have been waiting for this job for almost three years now and that was before the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I was to be the coach of the Super Eagles after the interview conducted for the job. But that time I said no, I wasn’t ready. Now that I am ready, I am not intimidated at all. I am ready for this job,” he declared matter-of-factly" http://africanfootball.mtnfootball.com/ ... m_ID=36099
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

GIN wrote:Keshi has the ANC to show that he made the right decision pre ANC 2013. Now we are going to see how "humble" osaze is going to be when he arrives in Brazil.
Osaze may not make the final 23.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Kabalega wrote:
GIN wrote:Keshi has the ANC to show that he made the right decision pre ANC 2013. Now we are going to see how "humble" osaze is going to be when he arrives in Brazil.
Osaze may not make the final 23.
I think he will...