LOUD-MOUTH USA OVER-CELEBRATING BEATING NIGERIA

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

owarean
Egg
Egg
LOUD-MOUTH USA OVER-CELEBRATING BEATING NIGERIA

Post by owarean »

Defining and explaining the successful – and new – US formation against Nigeria

Kyle Bonn

Jun 8, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

3 Comments

BeckermanAP

JACKSONVILLE, Fla — Before kickoff against Nigeria, Jurgen Klinsmann made three changes to the side that played decent against Turkey, and the country tried to figure out exactly how the players fit together.

90 minutes later, after a 2-1 win over Nigeria that felt a bit more complete than the scoreline showed, there was a shower of praise for how the players fit together tactically.

Except still, nobody could figure out exactly what to call it or how to define it.

On the heels of Klinsmann’s rant slamming the discussion of formations altogether, there was a guilty feeling that accompanied any attempts to label how the individual US players pieced together on the pitch.

It was like a piece of IKEA futniture – confusing at first, requiring a lot of work to put together, and without a comprehensive set of instructions, but once it does come together right, it serves its purpose well.

“We started off a little bit lethargic,” said Alejandro Bedoya. “It took a little bit of getting used to, but we did what was asked of us.”

It took time to sink in because the tactic was brand new to the entire squad, implemented by Klinsmann just in the past few days.

“We felt in the Turkey game that they were able to get into some dangerous spots on us,” Beckerman said. “We worked on it this week, it was new to us, but we felt like if we’re all working for each other and backing each other up, that we can be successful.”

Bedoya labeled the formation a 4-3-2-1. Beckerman anchored the epicenter of the midfield, with Jones to his left and Bedoya on his right. There was an expectation for both Bedoya and Jones that they would advance further outside on attacks to expand the advance, and pinch in when the team moved back towards their own goal.

“Our focus this week was to get everybody behind the ball, because we’re playing against good teams and they’re going to have possession,” Beckerman said. “But if we can keep them from being dangerous then their possession doesn’t mean anything. We felt if we could win the ball then we could expose them with some numbers, so we defended together, we had each other’s backs, and when we won the ball we got into some dangerous spots.”

source: Getty Images
Jurgen Klinsmann taught the team a brand new formation just a week before the World Cup, but it worked to perfection against Nigeria, and could be used in Brazil.

With the midfield secure, the two above them in Dempsey and Bradley also weren’t defined into any particular locations, but flowed freely between the central midfield and the front line.

It fit perfectly with how Klinsmann described Spain’s 4-6-0 in Euro 2012, using random midfielders pushing forward to throw off the opposition. While it wasn’t nearly that radical, it employed the same general concept.

It wasn’t always Altidore up top who was the most dangerous man. Dempsey and Bradley flowed freely and made runs, leaving Nigeria guessing as to who would come at them next.

The catch with this build is that it involves lots of running, but the US proved they were in excellent physical condition, and had the stamina to make it happen.

“In this position, you have to run more,” said Jermaine Jones. “Kyle played the “six” with Bedoya on the right and me on the left. In front was Michael and Clint, and Jozy on top. But the game shows there are differences, I have to be more inside with Kyle or out on the left side. This is why I say I have to run a lot.”

The 32-year-old then said with a chuckle, “sometimes for the old guys that is not so good.” It drew a laugh from the scrum of reporters, but the point was there – if the US is to deploy this tactic against Ghana, they will need to be at full fitness levels to run the formation to completion.

All that running comes from the polarizing difference in the formation between the compact defense and wide-open offense, like a hollow-point bullet expanding on impact for maximum damage. With the tactic so new to just about everyone, it took some time in the beginning to settle in, but once they figured it out, the team became deadly.

“It took us a while to get into the game because we couldn’t keep the ball the first 20-25 minutes long enough to play out of the situation and switch sides and make it open,” Klinsmann said. “Once we understood to make the field more wide, to stretch it – almost cost me my voice – we looked better, and we started to have more flow and better combinations. We started to play more simple, one-two touches from the back into the midfield, and finding Jozy.”

And ultimately, that’s the key – finding Jozy. With the service he got from this wide-open attack, he flourished, bagging first a sitter and then a ripper, the perfect combination for him going into Brazil.

But the formation is built on compact defense first, and from the get-go that was never an issue for the players. “It involves a lot of running between me, Kyle, and Jermaine,” said Bedoya. “We shift into one side, making sure to stay compact, and then if they switch it to get back over. With the connections between me and Fabian, and Jermaine, and Beasley at left-back, it’s a work in progress but defensively I think we did well.”

The dichotomy of the new 4-3-2-1 worked, throwing Nigeria not only into confusion at the back but a spider web at the front, entangling their link-up play in the US midfield thicket.

Whether you agree with teaching the team a brand new formation a week before the World Cup or not, the results on the pitch in Jacksonville are undeniable. If Klinsmann can teach a completely new tactic in just a few days, then it seems logical he could work the kinks out between now and June 16 when the US opens with Ghana.

Who knows if Klinsmann will choose to build upon this for the World Cup, but he would be wise to give it serious consideration, because he seems to have found the launch button that could potentially bring this United States squad success at Brazil that seemed out of reach just two matches ago.
Papilos the Great
akamoke
Re: LOUD-MOUTH USA OVER-CELEBRATING BEATING NIGERIA

Post by akamoke »

Abeg allow them
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

For some reason,the US think the way Nigeria played yesterday is the way Ghana will play...lol. If this was the WC, even Nigeria wouldn't play that way.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Conservative: a liberal who has been mugged by reality.
goke313
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by goke313 »

it going to be an interesting monday @ work for many of us.
as long as guys like Ameobi, Yobo are playing, while being managed by Keshi, it'll be foolish to brag and thrash-talk other teams
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I am tired of all this friendlies. The US are in a for a rude awakening at the World cup. They think playing friendlies on narrow fields at home will be the same at the World cup. While Nigeria was hiding its tactics as much as possible. The US have exposed how they will play with Fabian Johnson overlapping and the counter attack football. Teams will plan for that. They will not enjoy that home field advantage in Brazil.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

ohenhen1 wrote: narrow fields at home .
Thus, the field was not a "standard" field? Then why was the game played there? In the WC, a "narrow field" will NOT be used.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

LOUD-MOUTH USA???
A case of the pot calling the kettle black?
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Rawlings wrote:LOUD-MOUTH USA???

Don't mind him. Just like a Ghanaian calling someone short.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

goke313 wrote:it going to be an interesting monday @ work for many of us.
as long as guys like Ameobi, Yobo are playing, while being managed by Keshi, it'll be foolish to brag and thrash-talk other teams
Ya think...it's a good thing I am working nights from this Monday, cus I yabbed so many people at work...chei. The Greek guy already texted to say he's waiting for me...I forgot to tell I am working nights, so he'll look for me tire...lol.

Even my wife and her brother were shooting me texts through the game. I have made fun of the US team so much to them. They are saying Nigeria has single handily resuscitated the career of 'Jozy Antiscore'..their words, not mine.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Conservative: a liberal who has been mugged by reality.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Ok o..................enjoy your freedom of expression, even airheads :mrgreen: are entitled to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

I strongly doubt it if US will beat Ghana. There is no doubt about it,Ghana is definitely stronger than Nigeria. Ghana is heading to the tournament with their best players while Nigeria is going with Keshi's preferred players
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Very good analogy
Ghanaians calling the Korean a midget :rotf:
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

bully12 wrote:I strongly doubt it if US will beat Ghana. There is no doubt about it,Ghana is definitely stronger than Nigeria. Ghana is heading to the tournament with their best players while Nigeria is going with Keshi's preferred players
why do u people keep saying that?
Your 23 players are the best u currently have
Those who have been left behind are either fringe players at their clubs or then play in some low level leagues
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Rawlings wrote:
bully12 wrote:I strongly doubt it if US will beat Ghana. There is no doubt about it,Ghana is definitely stronger than Nigeria. Ghana is heading to the tournament with their best players while Nigeria is going with Keshi's preferred players
Those who have been left behind are either fringe players at their clubs or then play in some low level leagues

As opposed to the players on the team now who are the bed rock of their teams and play in the highest leagues? Go away TROLL and be thankful we did your yansh a favor boosting up the confidence of the US for your game next week. :D
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Jaidi
Egg
Egg

Post by Jaidi »

ohenhen1 wrote:I am tired of all this friendlies. The US are in a for a rude awakening at the World cup. They think playing friendlies on narrow fields at home will be the same at the World cup. While Nigeria was hiding its tactics as much as possible. The US have exposed how they will play with Fabian Johnson overlapping and the counter attack football. Teams will plan for that. They will not enjoy that home field advantage in Brazil.
I think they have the biggest travelling contingent outside of South America.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

metalalloy wrote:
Rawlings wrote:

As opposed to the players on the team now who are the bed rock of their teams and play in the highest leagues? Go away TROLL and be thankful we did your yansh a favor boosting up the confidence of the US for your game next week. :D
That's the problem, right there!
You have too many benchwarmers and as such it does not make much of a difference who made the 23
In Keshi we trust!!!!!
Last edited by Rawlings on Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Jaidi wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:I am tired of all this friendlies. The US are in a for a rude awakening at the World cup. They think playing friendlies on narrow fields at home will be the same at the World cup. While Nigeria was hiding its tactics as much as possible. The US have exposed how they will play with Fabian Johnson overlapping and the counter attack football. Teams will plan for that. They will not enjoy that home field advantage in Brazil.
Distorted data, they are counting Africans and other nationalist that also have a US passport. US won't make it to the 2nd round. If they do, I will change my avatar to the US flag for 3 months.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Rawlings wrote:
That's the problem, right there!
You have too many benchwarmers and a such it does not make much of a difference who made the 23
In Keshi we trust!!!!!
A very big...................

Kpom :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

muzines wrote:
Ya think...it's a good thing I am working nights from this Monday, cus I yabbed so many people at work...chei. The Greek guy already texted to say he's waiting for me...I forgot to tell I am working nights, so he'll look for me tire...lol.

Even my wife and her brother were shooting me texts through the game. I have made fun of the US team so much to them. They are saying Nigeria has single handily resuscitated the career of 'Jozy Antiscore'..their words, not mine.
...you'll definitely get a strong worded letter from cons and teas of the GOP and FoxNews, and get dumped from the Grand Old party :lol:
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

ohenhen1 wrote:
Jaidi wrote:
Distorted data, they are counting Africans and other nationalist that also have a US passport. US won't make it to the 2nd round. If they do, I will change my avatar to the US flag for 3 months.
...better prepare to make it several months. I see them frustrating Germany and Portugal, a group of death.
Metho scorpion
Egg
Egg

Post by Metho scorpion »

Rawlings wrote:
...Bros. you don miss ya medication again...ok o o na for your own good to to miss...
owarean
Egg
Egg

Post by owarean »

I believe in Morinho's prediction that Nigeria qualify with argentina. but Kenshi must stop deceiving himself that big names don't matter in football. you must pick your best players, simple as that. #$%$ discipline!!
Papilos the Great