La Liga aims to get the best players in the world in Spain

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Unfortunately for Tebas, he's not addressing the main issue, which is the more even spread of La Liga's wealth and subsequently how to those other clubs outside Real and Barca more competitive in the overall scheme of things. That Atletico was involved on last season's run in to me was just a one off. I'd like to see what they will do this season. So far, Real and Barca have been very active in the market compared to other Spanish clubs and then juxtaposed with English clubs. I say bring on the El Classico NOW cos I, like any other football buff want to see Ne-Messi-S (Neymar, Messi, Suarez) against Ronaldo, Bale & Rodriguez. But outside that, I can't say much for La Liga excitement. Even Atletico, last season's surprise package has been deeply plundered.

Spanish clubs i.e Real and Barca may dominate in the UCL, but on the domestic scenes, the EPL will continue to attract attention cos you get a top match almost every weekend with the Manchester clubs, Arsenal, Chelsea and now Liverpool will be involved at the top again. Even perennial heartbreakers of their fans, Spurs, and Everton no tok say dem no dey dia last season.

By Simon Stone
BBC Sport
The president of Spain's top division says he wants to attract all the best players in the world to the country and rival the commercial power of the English Premier League.
La Liga boss Javier Tebas even joked he wants "the best 500 players" in global football in the league.
Luis Suarez (£75m) and Gareth Bale (£85.3m) have left England for Spain in the last two summer transfer windows.
"We are not going to stop. We want the best 500 players," said Tebas.
The Premier League's last domestic TV deal alone earned it £3.018bn.
"We want to make sure we have the biggest clubs and also the best players from the whole world in our league," said Tebas.
Fifa 2014 World Cup stars James Rodriguez and Toni Kroos have joined Real Madrid this summer, while in Real and Sevilla the league boasts both the Champions League and Europa League champions.

Colombia playmaker Rodriguez said joining Real Madrid was "a dream come true"
Rodriguez, Kroos and Suarez will feature in the 'El Clasico' meetings between Real Madrid and Barcelona next season alongside the likes of Welshman Bale - who says La Liga is the best league in the world - Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar and Lionel Messi.
Champions Atletico Madrid have paid £22m to Bayern Munich for Mario Mandzukic and have agreed to pay Real Sociedad £24m for France winger Antoine Griezmann.
But some clubs - including Atletico, Sevilla and Valencia - have racked up huge debts attempting to match Real and Barcelona while Malaga and Rayo Vallecano were banned from European football because of the state of their finances.
La Liga has a system whereby each club is allowed to negotiate their own TV deals and, while Barcelona and Real Madrid earned £110m last season, their rivals struggled to match that amount.

In contrast, the Premier League negotiates its TV deal on a collective basis.
Tebas is trying to bridge the financial gap by raising the profile of La Liga by targeting new markets, including the United States and Asia.
With its huge Hispanic population, the USA is viewed as a key market and Tebas, who was born in Costa Rica, held a series of meetings with "key business partners" in San Francisco last week to discuss future strategy.
Those discussions were concluded by the centre piece LFP World Challenge, where Atletico overcame MLS side San Jose Earthquakes on penalties.

But they are the type of pre-season fixtures that Premier League clubs are invited to all the time. Over the past fortnight, nine of the English top flight's 20 clubs have played in the US.
It is a figure Tebas needs to match if he is to close the gulf in financial power between the leagues of England and Spain.
"It is impossible to compare us with the Premier League from a commercial perspective," said Tebas. "What we are trying to do is get closer to them.
"We have been in Asia but right now our aim is to bring more teams from La Liga to this part of the world. We are working on this, it's a long-term project and is why we are here in the United States.
"There is a lot of support out here for Real Madrid and Barcelona. Our goal is to bring more teams here from La Liga so the football supporters in the United States can get used to them as well."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28542813
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: La Liga aims to get the best players in the world in Spa

Post by anointed »

Why haven't transfers like these brought La Liga the commercial splendour it craves? Something is obviously not right.

And even that commercial splendour arrives, I bet Real and Barca will be in charge of the lion's share to detriment of other clubs.
Top five all-time world transfers
1. Gareth Bale Tottenham to Real Madrid £85.3m
2. Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United to Real Madrid £80m
3. Luis Suarez Liverpool to Barcelona £75m
4. James Rodriguez Monaco to Real Madrid £71m
5. Kaka AC Milan to Real Madrid £56m
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Spanish TV monopoly
The Spanish system of each club being allowed to negotiate their own TV deals does weight the competition in favour of the heavyweights.
In 2012-13, Real Madrid and Barcelona each pocketed over £110m in TV income.
Atletico Madrid and Valencia were the next highest, at £33m. But Real Betis were one of six clubs who only received £9.5m.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

The best players want to play in the La Liga.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

They already have the best product from a footballing perspective. The quality of football even from the lower level teams is tremendous.

Part of the issue they have is when it comes to revenue sharing. It should be more equitable. I think they also need to market their product better to get on the level of the EPL when it comes to the 'gloss on the package'
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Paparassi, mention the best players in La Liga outside Real & Barca
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

"It is impossible to compare us with the Premier League from a commercial perspective," said Tebas. "What we are trying to do is get closer to them.
"We have been in Asia but right now our aim is to bring more teams from La Liga to this part of the world. We are working on this, it's a long-term project and is why we are here in the United States.
"There is a lot of support out here for Real Madrid and Barcelona. Our goal is to bring more teams here from La Liga so the football supporters in the United States can get used to them as well."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28542813
this is common knowledge. Outside of RM and Barca, the other teams are not known to global fans

Fans get excited for La Liga's TWO main games every season, but the CE know-it-alls will tell us Levante v Villareal will be so so exciting

Met a Brazilian dude in Fortaleza who claimed he was a Pool fan...i was like "wtf". OUR appeal is global

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

anointed wrote:Paparassi, mention the best players in La Liga outside Real & Barca
:rotf: :rotf:

http://www.google.com

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

anointed wrote:Paparassi, mention the best players in La Liga outside Real & Barca
LOL. C'mon now. Just exercise the gray cells a bit and you'll get your answers: Think Atletico, Sevilla,Bilbao, Valencia. Heck even one of the best goalies in the WC plays for Levante. They keep churning out world class players who are snapped up by the EPL teams.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Don't like to be involved with this EPL vs La Liga stuff, but:

Diego Godin, Joao Miranda, Juanfran, Feghouli, Iker Munain, Arda Turan, Koke, Carlos Bacca, Giovanni Dos Santos, Carlos Vela, Griezman, Susaeta, just to name a few...
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

anointed wrote:Unfortunately for Tebas, he's not addressing the main issue, which is the more even spread of La Liga's wealth and subsequently how to those other clubs outside Real and Barca more competitive in the overall scheme of things. That Atletico was involved on last season's run in to me was just a one off. I'd like to see what they will do this season. So far, Real and Barca have been very active in the market compared to other Spanish clubs and then juxtaposed with English clubs. I say bring on the El Classico NOW cos I, like any other football buff want to see Ne-Messi-S (Neymar, Messi, Suarez) against Ronaldo, Bale & Rodriguez. But outside that, I can't say much for La Liga excitement. Even Atletico, last season's surprise package has been deeply plundered.

Spanish clubs i.e Real and Barca may dominate in the UCL, but on the domestic scenes, the EPL will continue to attract attention cos you get a top match almost every weekend with the Manchester clubs, Arsenal, Chelsea and now Liverpool will be involved at the top again. Even perennial heartbreakers of their fans, Spurs, and Everton no tok say dem no dey dia last season.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Just say you are an EPL groupie and don't try to justify it with fact-free myths.

Even the article that you quoted said this:
Champions Atletico Madrid have paid £22m to Bayern Munich for Mario Mandzukic and have agreed to pay Real Sociedad £24m for France winger Antoine Griezmann.
Those two were courted by English clubs.

But you can't judge the quality of football purely on the basis of marquee signings. Messi, Xavi, and Iniesta cost Barca nothing on the transfer market.

Yeah, the only "top match" in Spain is El Clasico and the rest are crap, which somehow doesn't explain how Athletic Bilbao beat Manure home and away in the Europa a few seasons ago. Incidentally, Bilbao only sign Basque players. Youth development is how they stay competitive.
http://www.naijiant.com/
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

cic old boy wrote:
anointed wrote:Unfortunately for Tebas, he's not addressing the main issue, which is the more even spread of La Liga's wealth and subsequently how to those other clubs outside Real and Barca more competitive in the overall scheme of things. That Atletico was involved on last season's run in to me was just a one off. I'd like to see what they will do this season. So far, Real and Barca have been very active in the market compared to other Spanish clubs and then juxtaposed with English clubs. I say bring on the El Classico NOW cos I, like any other football buff want to see Ne-Messi-S (Neymar, Messi, Suarez) against Ronaldo, Bale & Rodriguez. But outside that, I can't say much for La Liga excitement. Even Atletico, last season's surprise package has been deeply plundered.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Just say you are an EPL groupie and don't try to justify it with fact-free myths.

Even the article that you quoted said this:
Those two were courted by English clubs.

But you can't judge the quality of football purely on the basis of marquee signings. Messi, Xavi, and Iniesta cost Barca nothing on the transfer market.

Yeah, the only "top match" in Spain is El Clasico and the rest are crap, which somehow doesn't explain how Athletic Bilbao beat Manure home and away in the Europa a few seasons ago. Incidentally, Bilbao only sign Basque players. Youth development is how they stay competitive.
Too bad you didn't get my point. Did Tebas talk about the quality of football or Bilbao beating Man Utd or how to raise home grown players? Tebas, the man, not you, knows what the issue is.

I'm not interested in any argument (that franchise belongs to you & tfco) or whether I like one league more than the other. Bilbao may bet Man Utd or whoever but did it increase Bilbao's followership, income or fortunes on the whole?

It's just the followership and money the 2 leagues attract that are the issue here. Unfortunately, not you, not me or our arguments determines who follows EPL & La Liga passionately or which TV and their subscribers pay to watch their live matches or which corporate giants fork out millions to sponsor clubsides.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Sunset wrote:
Don't like to be involved with this EPL vs La Liga stuff, but:

Diego Godin, Joao Miranda, Juanfran, Feghouli, Iker Munain, Arda Turan, Koke, Carlos Bacca, Giovanni Dos Santos, Carlos Vela, Griezman, Susaeta, just to name a few...
:roll: :roll: :roll:
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

anointed wrote:Too bad you didn't get my point. Did Tebas talk about the quality of football or Bilbao beating Man Utd or how to raise home grown players? Tebas, the man, not you, knows what the issue is.

I'm not interested in any argument (that franchise belongs to you & tfco) or whether I like one league more than the other. Bilbao may bet Man Utd or whoever but did it increase Bilbao's followership, income or fortunes on the whole?

It's just the followership and money the 2 leagues attract that are the issue here. Unfortunately, not you, not me or our arguments determines who follows EPL & La Liga passionately or which TV and their subscribers pay to watch their live matches or which corporate giants fork out millions to sponsor clubsides.
:lol: I am not interested in any argument either - just interested in facts.

I don't care about Tebas. I pointed out what was wrong with your editorialising of the report.

1. You spoke of other clubs beyond the big 2, claiming Atleti had been "deeply plundered".

2. You couldn't "say much for La Liga excitement".

3. You talked of the domestic scene in Spain not being like the EPL where "you get a top match almost every weekend", claiming this was why the EPL attracted attention (erm.. what about marketing, hype, etc??).

Those 3 claims don't stand up to scrutiny.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

YUJAM wrote:They already have the best product from a footballing perspective. The quality of football even from the lower level teams is tremendous.

Part of the issue they have is when it comes to revenue sharing. It should be more equitable. I think they also need to market their product better to get on the level of the EPL when it comes to the 'gloss on the package'

Part of the issue is the 2 horse race between Barcelona and Real Madrid while the EPL has quite a few rivalries such as the Manchester derby, Merseyside derby, the London clubs rivalries, North-East derby and is one of the reasons why the EPL has more viewers.
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Annointed, Real, Barca, Athletico, Bilbao and even Valancia etc.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Champions league final between RM And AM.

Lock thread or find something more interesting to discuss.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

papparassi Sport wrote:Annointed, Real, Barca, Athletico, Bilbao and even Valancia etc.
you are beyond daft.

Ask any man on the street if he can name any players outside of Real and Barca.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

cchinukw wrote:Champions league final between RM And AM.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

translation: I did not read the article. :roll:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

kalamashaka
Egg
Egg

Post by kalamashaka »

Why would an African, in Africa no less, get excited over the EPL's suppose commercial advantage over La Liga? Am I missing something here??

From a footballing perspective, both leagues are skewed heavily in favour of a few of the "big teams". The idea that the EPL is more competitive or that the 2nd tier teams are better than their counterparts in Spain is a fiction..the fact that the these teams (Everton, Spuds, etc etc) get regularly trounced when they meet the Spanish equivalents in the EL is proof enough..interesting, the Spanish 2nd tier teams sometimes give the big EPL teams a run when they meet something the Evertons of this world cannot seem to match when it's te other way round..can you imagine Everton doing to RM what Bilbao did to United a few years back??
"How many white men went in the party that destroyed Abame?"
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

tfco wrote:
cchinukw wrote:Champions league final between RM And AM.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

translation: I did not read the article. :roll:
I actually did. The thread was descending into another Premier League vs. La Liga debate which is really tiresome.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

kalamashaka wrote:Why would an African, in Africa no less, get excited over the EPL's suppose commercial advantage over La Liga? Am I missing something here??
---deleted a lot of SH.IT---
1. it's a football forum
2. we discuss football matters
3. same way some Africans get excited over Holland putting 5 past the NDL guys.
4. Go to #1

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

kalamashaka
Egg
Egg

Post by kalamashaka »

tfco wrote:
kalamashaka wrote:Why would an African, in Africa no less, get excited over the EPL's suppose commercial advantage over La Liga? Am I missing something here??
---deleted a lot of SH.IT---
1. it's a football forum
2. we discuss football matters
3. same way some Africans get excited over Holland putting 5 past the NDL guys.
4. Go to #1
dude, why do you get so worked up when someone says anything other than the EPL Is the greatest thing to ever happen to humanity...you're trying too hard and it really isn't necessary. It's possible to disagree with someone an still remain civil. Whatever happened to you that you became like this?

3. It's one thing to get excited about an actual game or team if you like the way they play..(heck, it's even A.OK to prefer one league over another in terms of the football you prefer watching) it's another thing entirely to engage in oneupmanship so much so that you excited that one league has more commercial revenues than the other when you have absolutely ZERO financial stake in either..which is why I expressed surprise. It doesn't seem quite 'normal'!

P.S. Do you actually even like football cos it's very rare to see you actually talking about the game? For you, it seems to be all about one-upmanship; defending the EPL (as if they need it) etc etc...
"How many white men went in the party that destroyed Abame?"