Balotelli in Ofe Akwu!!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Balotelli in Ofe Akwu!!

Post by Coach »

Mario Balotelli: Liverpool striker sorry for Instagram post
bbc.com

Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli has apologised for a post on social media which appeared to contain anti-Semitic and racist references.

Balotelli, 24, quickly deleted the post from his Instagram page of Nintendo computer game character Super Mario.

The Italian had tweeted to deny the text of the post was offensive before his apology.

The Football Association is to investigate the post, while Liverpool say they will speak to Balotelli.

The picture posted by the Italian striker had an image of 'Super Mario' with the heading "Dont be a racist!"

The text read: "Be like Mario, he's an Italian plumber, created by Japanese people, who speaks English and looks like a Mexican."
It finished: "He jumps like a black man and grabs coins like a Jew."

Responding to criticism on Twitter, Balotelli tweeted: "My Mom is Jewish so all of you shut up please."

He also described reposting the image as "my unlucky moment".

However, he later wrote: "I apologise if I've offended anyone.

"The post was meant to be anti-racist with humour. I now understand that out of context it may have the opposite effect.

"Not all Mexicans have a moustache, not all black people jump high and not all Jewish people love money.

"I used a cartoon done by somebody else because it has Super Mario and I thought it was funny and not offensive. Again, I'm sorry."

A Liverpool spokesman told BBC Sport: "We are aware of the posting which has since been promptly deleted by the player. We will be speaking to the player about the issue."

Former FA executive and current chief executive of the Jewish Leadership Council Simon Johnson said Balotelli should face action.

"We abhor all forms of racism, wherever it is found," Johnson told the Daily Telegraph. "We call upon the FA to investigate this offensive social media post and to take action if appropriate if we are to succeed in kicking racism out of football."

Under the FA's social media guidelines, the minimum ban for race-related breaches of rules is five games.

...Not a single Paul Inceberg or Ian Wrightestein coming forward in cheer and celebration. Lets contrast the push for punishment here with the pursuit for justice by the black sporting community on any of their myriad racial attacks. Pathetic.
Last edited by Coach on Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Balotelli in Edikaikong!

Post by pajimoh »

This is the problem when everyone shouts racism at every loose words or misdemeanor. It goes both ways.

I've seen this before. It was not done by MB. But using it without thinking through the consequences have landed him in trouble yet again

Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

OH MY!
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

cchinukw wrote:Image

OH MY!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Poor Mario!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

It's actually a very popular image.

Mario is being butchered because of his status. The reality is that if an ordinary person said such a thing, it would not be an issue.

but I guess that is the price you pay for being famous.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Why is it that only the Jew part is getting headlines?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
okuns
Egg
Egg

Post by okuns »

What was the most racist of his quotes - grabbing coins like a jew, jump like a black man; looking like a mexicano and having a mustache like an italian plumber? Or maybe it is the inference that Japanese are smart? For me, I don't see anything wrong with his statement...
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Thank you Bamenda, when a people claim their respect they're made to be respected. In other news, Jerome Blackman blasted off the atlas by young police cadet after reaching into his boxers whilst stood at a urinal. NJPD have issued a statement offering condolences for the unfortunate incident and will look to restore faith in the community through licensing all night fried chicken outlets.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Racist? Not sure I see how BUT Balotelli still needs to grow up.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

bamenda boy wrote:Why is it that only the Jew part is getting headlines?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Mario Balotelli: Liverpool striker is charged for Instagram post

Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli has been charged by the Football Association for a post on social media which appeared to contain anti-Semitic and racist references.

The 24-year-old reposted an image of computer game character Super Mario on Instagram, which included the words "jumps like a black man and grabs coins like a Jew."

The Italian tweeted to deny the post was offensive, before apologising.

He has until 18:00 GMT on 15 December to respond to the charge.

A Liverpool spokesman said: "We acknowledge the FA's decision and the player will work through the process to answer the charge.
"While that process is on-going the club will make no further comment."

An FA statement read: "It is alleged the Liverpool player breached FA Rule E3[1] in that his posting was abusive and/or insulting and/or improper.

"It is further alleged that this is an 'Aggravated Breach' as defined by FA Rule E3[2] as it included a reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race and/or nationality and/or religion or belief."

Balotelli had until 18:00 on Friday to submit an explanation for his comments to the FA and he reportedly provided evidence of the discrimination he has faced during his career.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Na wow for Super Mario
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

platinum wrote:Racist? Not sure I see how BUT Balotelli still needs to grow up.
Really? Are you serious :roll:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

Japanese folks did not complain
Mexicans did not complain
Black folks did not complain.
So why are they punishing Mario ?
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

okuns wrote:What was the most racist of his quotes - grabbing coins like a jew, jump like a black man; looking like a mexicano and having a mustache like an italian plumber? Or maybe it is the inference that Japanese are smart? For me, I don't see anything wrong with his statement...
Where did you get this from?
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

anikulapo wrote:
platinum wrote:Racist? Not sure I see how BUT Balotelli still needs to grow up.
Really? Are you serious :roll:

I think there can be at least two connotations on the Jew thing. One that they're greedy which is negative, two that they know how to make money which is positive, I doubt he was calling himself greedy. It's clumsy and awkward but I doubt anyone can compare it to say Whelan at Wigan who is just purely racist and whose intents are malevolent.
Balotelli is a big baby, doesn't know any better seemingly.

Then again I could be reading it from tinted lenses.

Mek dem punish am, anything to pile on the boy.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Balotelli in Aboniki!

Post by Coach »

Why Mario Balotelli Is Under Most Pressure for Liverpool After Win over Swansea

Liverpool ended the year on a high on Monday night with a shining, fluid attacking display in their 4-1 victory at home to Swansea City, and summer signing Mario Balotelli will find himself under great pressure if he is to now impose himself on manager Brendan Rodgers.

...Liverpool now sit eighth in the Premier League table after leapfrogging the Swans and, despite this relatively lowly new-year placing, Rodgers will be encouraged by his side's growing brilliance.

Absent throughout this, however, is summer signing Balotelli.

Limited to a 10-minute cameo at Anfield on Monday, the pressure will be on Balotelli to force his way into Rodgers' long-term thinking.

Prior to Liverpool's previous victory—a tight 1-0 win away to Burnley on Boxing Day—Rodgers outlined just why Balotelli is gracing his substitutes' bench after a return from injury.

Rodgers claimed, per Neil Jones of the Liverpool Echo, that "working with Mario, we’ve seen that he is someone who is better in and around the box. That level of pressing and intensity is not part of his game."

The manager continued: "We are at our best when our game is aggressive. We’ve had to adapt this year, in terms of how we’ve had to play, because of personnel."

Finally, Rodgers added: "We’ve tried to find the solution to get back that intensity and that tempo, and I think we’ve seen that. It’s key for us, that aggressive pressure at the top end of the field. It gives us the platform to go on and dominate the ball."

These qualities are clearly far from what the manager believes Balotelli has shown so far for the Reds.

Having previously described the striker as a "calculated risk," per Andy Hunter of the Guardian, it seems that this risk hasn't paid off for Rodgers.

Against Swansea on Monday, Liverpool's intensity, pressure and positive aggression was clear to see, and it was perhaps unsurprising that this came without Balotelli in the side.

...Fluid, cohesive and devastating at its peak, Liverpool's system thrived within this intensive system, and it was no surprise that Balotelli cut a sombre figure when he was finally introduced on 83 minutes, replacing Sterling as Liverpool's lone centre-forward.

Rodgers recently declared that "if the team is going to need [Balotelli] from the bench then it’s something he would have to become adjusted to," per Hunter for the Guardian.

Liverpool's display on Monday, aided by one effervescent strike option, will solidify that role for the Italian.

...Sterling wasn't at his most effective on Monday night, quite possibly due to a fatigue onset by the Liverpool-high 1,627 minutes played in the Premier League this season.

...And despite this tiring display, Sterling still managed five shots on goal, benefiting from Coutinho's creativity.

When Balotelli was introduced it was stark how marked a downturn Liverpool's attacking spark underwent.

The No. 45 lacks the movement and, as outlined, the intensity of a striker such as Sterling who, at 20 years old, outshines the £16 million summer signing.

...Liverpool may well be back, but it may come at the expense of Mario Balotelli. The pressure is now on the striker to find his role at the club as the January transfer window looms.

Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Yesterday's cameo appearance was further confirmation that Balotelli cannot fit into the fluid, dynamic, attacking Liverpool pattern. He is too slow and too tentative and just cannot do the quick interchange at Liverpool. Best he goes back to Italy on loan with a view to a permanent move. This adventure has not worked!
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^Largely by choice, as opposed to design. In his mind's eye, he sees himself as having arrived. Potentially, a world beater, more than likely, another self-fulfilled Ron Atkinsonian prophecy, next stop Adrianoville.
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

The black and Jewish part are dumb stereotypes but racist?
This term is shouted way too premature on every occasion and creates more animosity than the criticized "act of racism" itself.
Political correctness in its extremes form is one of the major evils of our time - it does not serves the development of the targeted pluralism at any time whatsoever.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

DAgrin wrote:The black and Jewish part are dumb stereotypes but racist?
This term is shouted way too premature on every occasion and creates more animosity than the criticized "act of racism" itself.
Political correctness in its extremes form is one of the major evils of our time - it does not serves the development of the targeted pluralism at any time whatsoever.

Kpom!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Goldleaf wrote:Yesterday's cameo appearance was further confirmation that Balotelli cannot fit into the fluid, dynamic, attacking Liverpool pattern. He is too slow and too tentative and just cannot do the quick interchange at Liverpool. Best he goes back to Italy on loan with a view to a permanent move. This adventure has not worked!
Then who will Pool sign?
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Guys
If Balotelli was born and bred in Ghana, he would have ended up like Mba :tic:
The man is a wastepipe, that drains clean water once a while (if u know what I mean)
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar