Nigeria out to convince Jordon Ibe

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

femibyte
Egg
Egg
Nigeria out to convince Jordon Ibe

Post by femibyte »

This probably won't happen, but the comments on this one are hilarious... :lol: :lol:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/ni ... cs-8705161?

Nigeria out to convince Liverpool FC's Jordon Ibe to turn his back on England
18:34, 23 February 2015 By James Pearce
Teenage winger has caught the eye of African nation
212 Shares
Tweet
+1
LinkedIn

Jordon Ibe of Liverpool in action during the UEFA Europa League Round of 32 match between Liverpool FC and Besiktas JKJordon Ibe of Liverpool in action during the UEFA Europa League Round of 32 match between Liverpool FC and Besiktas JK
The Nigeria Football Federation have vowed to try to convince Liverpool starlet Jordon Ibe to turn his back on England.

The talented 19-year-old winger was born in South London but he’s also eligible to represent Nigeria as his dad David is from the African country.

Ibe has previously represented England at under-18, under-19 and under-20 level and he’s expected to be called up by Gareth Southgate for the England Under-21s squad for the European Championships this summer.

However, he could still switch allegiances and Nigerian officials plan to offer him a full international cap for the Super Eagles.

Victor Ikpeba, a member of their technical and development Committee, said: “The federation is looking at Jordon Ibe.

“We need to change our philosophy and bring in these young players to help out especially after we missed out of the Africa Cup of Nations.”

Nigeria boss Stephen Keshi said: “I’ve been told he is a very good prospect with potential to become one of the best wingers in the world.

“I have not had time to watch him in any of his club’s games but definitely I will do so this season.”
You'll Never Walk Alone... - Liverpool FC
http://www.femibyte.com
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria out to convince Jordon Ibe

Post by The Notorious B!GGESTMAN »

I doubt whether this kid is even fully Nigerian.
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

I support going after all quality Nigeria-eligible players as aggressively as possible.

Not sure we have a good chance with a kid who insists on pronouncing his surname the wrong way (even when the broadcasters told him of it).

No harm in trying though.

I think Dominic Iorfa and Dele Alli are much better prospects who could be in the Premiership next season. We should go aggressively after those ones now that the spotlight of the premiership is not on them.

I've heard some good things about Sheyi Ojo (also on the books of Liverpool) but I've not seen him play.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

truetalk wrote:I support going after all quality Nigeria-eligible players as aggressively as possible.

Not sure we have a good chance with a kid who insists on pronouncing his surname the wrong way (even when the broadcasters told him of it).

No harm in trying though..
Lol kpom
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Chei Liverpool fans too dey get mouth......Our thieving brothers merserside
Oya back to the matter
open and close
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

truetalk wrote:I support going after all quality Nigeria-eligible players as aggressively as possible.

No harm in trying though
Lol when was this? Do you have the video?
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

The Notorious B!GGESTMAN wrote:

No harm in trying though
It has come up a few times, but with him making the Liverpool first team, quite a number of people from Nigeria called in to the Premier League show about his name and the presenter said Jordon insisted that he waned his lasted to be pronounced with the style that rhymes with 'hide'.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/ho ... ordon-ibe/
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

If he refuses to pronounce his name correctly, he is a lost cause.....let Engerlund have him....
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
@ the comments
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...and how old is the kid? His parents should teach him, and if the say "aib" then let him go with that. Most kids learn things at younger and formative age, so I guess his parent pronounced it that way and he followed suit.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Abeg we should convince him on how to properly pronounce his Surname first :roll:
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

truetalk wrote:

No harm in trying though
It has come up a few times, but with him making the Liverpool first team, quite a number of people from Nigeria called in to the Premier League show about his name and the presenter said Jordon insisted that he waned his lasted to be pronounced with the style that rhymes with 'hide'.

it is one thing not to know how to pronounce your name, but to INSIST that ot is pronounced another way when YOU KNOW THE CORRECT PRONOUNCIATION? Good luck to him, I hope he learns the lyrics to God Dave the Queen!

Lost soul.
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

truetalk wrote:

No harm in trying though

it is one thing not to know how to pronounce your name, but to INSIST that ot is pronounced another way when YOU KNOW THE CORRECT PRONOUNCIATION? Good luck to him, I hope he learns the lyrics to God Dave the Queen!.
Quite sad actually. He is old enough to have gotten past that phase. Moreover, this is 2015 England, where a young black guy having an African name has in most cases become quite cool.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

femibyte wrote:This probably won't happen, but the comments on this one are hilarious... :lol: :lol:

212 Shares
Tweet
+1
LinkedIn

Jordon Ibe of Liverpool in action during the UEFA Europa League Round of 32 match between Liverpool FC and Besiktas JKJordon Ibe of Liverpool in action during the UEFA Europa League Round of 32 match between Liverpool FC and Besiktas JK
The Nigeria Football Federation have vowed to try to convince Liverpool starlet Jordon Ibe to turn his back on England.

The talented 19-year-old winger was born in South London but he’s also eligible to represent Nigeria as his dad David is from the African country.

Ibe has previously represented England at under-18, under-19 and under-20 level and he’s expected to be called up by Gareth Southgate for the England Under-21s squad for the European Championships this summer.

However, he could still switch allegiances and Nigerian officials plan to offer him a full international cap for the Super Eagles.

Victor Ikpeba, a member of their technical and development Committee, said: “The federation is looking at Jordon Ibe.

“We need to change our philosophy and bring in these young players to help out especially after we missed out of the Africa Cup of Nations.”

Nigeria boss Stephen Keshi said: “I’ve been told he is a very good prospect with potential to become one of the best wingers in the world.

“I have not had time to watch him in any of his club’s games but definitely I will do so this season.”

Its not gonna happen.
after the criticism England FA got for letting Victor Moses slip through their fingers the FA now has a policy of capping young prospects early in order to dissuade them from choosing other countries. This policy was the reason the likes of Sterling and Zaha were called up very early in order to start making them feel they belong and have a future with England. I expect Berahino to be also called up very soon although as Burundi dont have a strong National team it may not be a priority. Jordan Ibe will be called up if not for the next lot of games in March then definitely before the end of the year.

Seyi Ojo is another Hot prospect on loan at Wigan at 17. 6ft 2in of raw pace and power. He has been on the bench a few times this season and hopefully he will get some game time next season.
YNWA
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

The fact that we do not have a manager also doesn't help.
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Damunk wrote:
truetalk wrote:

No harm in trying though

it is one thing not to know how to pronounce your name, but to INSIST that ot is pronounced another way when YOU KNOW THE CORRECT PRONOUNCIATION? Good luck to him, I hope he learns the lyrics to God Dave the Queen!.
Quite sad actually. He is old enough to have gotten past that phase. Moreover, this is 2015 England, where a young black guy having an African name has in most cases become quite cool.
...why? the kid was raised by his parents to say it that way, how will he change now from outsiders? Note, I don't his folks but I assume he has a Nigeria parents.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

femibyte wrote:This probably won't happen, but the comments on this one are hilarious... :lol: :lol:

212 Shares
Tweet
+1
LinkedIn

Too busy watching matches in China I assume.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

King Futcha wrote:

212 Shares
Tweet
+1
LinkedIn

Too busy watching matches in China I assume.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: This is really mean, but you started it, so if Gotti comes swinging, I'll just duck & let you take the punch.

You have to go after the best marketing prospects. Tough one, but big boss can partner with Dirty Harry, since they are both reportedly part-time manager/agents who can wheel & deal their way into 'aib's next contract or big club move.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

The only thing that gets me is when they go out of their way to mispronounce your name
aib is not the intuitive pronunciation of the name ibe
Same nonsense when commentators call ideye idire
as soon as they notice it's a foreign name they feel they have licence to mangle it
Also I know another naija in London who bears that last name
no one has any difficulty calling him ibe
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

The Notorious B!GGESTMAN wrote:I doubt whether this kid is even fully Nigerian.
He is fully Nigerian.

If his dad has a say in who he plays for, he will definitely play for Nigeria.

His dad was called Eye-bee during his days in School.
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
John Obi Moses
Egg
Egg

Post by John Obi Moses »

England wants him, Nigeria has no chance. He is good though. A better version of Moses!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Sunset wrote:Abeg we should convince him on how to properly pronounce his Surname first :roll:
Yeiiiipa...He is a lost cause.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Akure4Life wrote:
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN wrote:I doubt whether this kid is even fully Nigerian.
He is fully Nigerian.

If his dad has a say in who he plays for, he will definitely play for Nigeria.

His dad was called Eye-bee during his days in School.
...and he never correct it, so there you have it folks. Let the kid go by what know from birth.