Return Eagles to Lagos, says Oliseh

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

proclaimjesus02
Egg
Egg
Return Eagles to Lagos, says Oliseh

Post by proclaimjesus02 »

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/13099292

Former Nigeria international Sunday Oliseh has clamoured for the Super Eagles’ return to the National Stadium, Lagos for their international matches. In the space of 12 months, the former African champions have played in several stadia in the country where they have recorded contrasting results.

According to the former Borrusia Dortmund star, the surest bet for the country to remain invincible at home is by bring them back to their former fortress in Lagos.

“It’s a lot easier now to play for Nigeria and I guess that is one of the reasons we are not doing so well now. In those days, you go to the National Stadium, Lagos in front 100, 000 fans,” Oliseh said during an interview with Brila Fm.

“After 20 minutes, you have not scored, the fans go crazy and your family lives in Lagos; that is pressure. When you go to the Africa Cup of Nations or the World Cup and you know that second is not enough; that is pressure. When you have to play and the future of your family is at stake; that is pressure.

“I’m overtly telling them that if we want to go back to the top; we need to bring the Super Eagles back to Lagos

“If England have an important match to play, they play you at Wembley because that is where they have the greatest number of fans and that is where it becomes emotional for the players. The National Stadium is our own Wembley.

“I played for Nigeria for 10 years and we never lost at the National Stadium. That shows you how mythical it was to play there. The players need that kind of atmosphere to perform,” he concluded.
osita
Egg
Egg
Re: Return Eagles to Lagos, says Oliseh

Post by osita »

Good point, the other pitches don't put SE under pressure apart from Lasgidi.
Super Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by Super Eagle »

Yup. I had said the same thing several times myself. I think it's silly for NFF to keep moving Super Eagles games from city to city. By doing so, they are diluting our home advantage....it's like playing an away game, if you have to play at a different stadium from game to game. They need to chose a location and stick with it - either Lagos or Abuja, get the team fully acclimatized to the pitch and the fans.

The US, England and other Euro countries can afford to move games from city to city because a vast majority of their players play at home and are already familiar with those pitches.

O pari
Note to: Emir Kongi, big porkey, and smartbrother: Don't talk unless you can improve the silence. (c)
www.awooze.com

#BringBackOurGirls
Hashtag #KeshiDonHammer
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

KPOM. Thank you Oliseh - a 100% dedicated Super Eagle, ready to die on the green grass for Nigeria and a powerful captain who knows exactly what he is talking about.
First things first, we need to restore the dignity of the Super Eagles first and that's making the SE shirt something to fight for and turning our matches into nightmares for opponents again. When we have achieved these objectives then we can start taking one or two friendlies across the country once in a while but our competitive matches and main friendlies should remain in Lagos.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
opine
Egg
Egg

Post by opine »

SMH... Eagles shirt has really been devalued
Tbite wrote: Yes we have deadweights in our team like Babatunde, Agbim and Rueben, but they are OUR deadweights! Our wastepipes! We must love them...respect them! If we do not love our junks....who will? Who?
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

I don tire for all this oliseh and his in those days. In those days the highest they achieved was "round of 16" at wc and just '1 nations cup' something keshi has achieved yet he keep screaming in those days like say we win world cup. 25 years from now keshi sef go dey scream in those days
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

proclaimjesus02 wrote:m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/13099292

Former Nigeria international Sunday Oliseh has clamoured for the Super Eagles’ return to the National Stadium, Lagos for their international matches. In the space of 12 months, the former African champions have played in several stadia in the country where they have recorded contrasting results.

According to the former Borrusia Dortmund star, the surest bet for the country to remain invincible at home is by bring them back to their former fortress in Lagos.

“It’s a lot easier now to play for Nigeria and I guess that is one of the reasons we are not doing so well now. In those days, you go to the National Stadium, Lagos in front 100, 000 fans,” Oliseh said during an interview with Brila Fm.

“After 20 minutes, you have not scored, the fans go crazy and your family lives in Lagos; that is pressure. When you go to the Africa Cup of Nations or the World Cup and you know that second is not enough; that is pressure. When you have to play and the future of your family is at stake; that is pressure.

“I’m overtly telling them that if we want to go back to the top; we need to bring the Super Eagles back to Lagos

“If England have an important match to play, they play you at Wembley because that is where they have the greatest number of fans and that is where it becomes emotional for the players. The National Stadium is our own Wembley.

“I played for Nigeria for 10 years and we never lost at the National Stadium. That shows you how mythical it was to play there. The players need that kind of atmosphere to perform,” he concluded.
Nothing different from what Ohenhen has been saying.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
jb
Egg
Egg

Post by jb »

This is not entirely true. Granted that Lagos fans are very passionate about football, they continue to be overly unpredictable and will cheer their opponents in a heart beat, should the Super Eagles don't play well. I doubt that you want that kind of situation in a very sensitive game. In terms of numbers, they are up there and I can guarantee you that the the stadium will not be empty.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
ogiso
Egg
Egg

Post by ogiso »

Somebody say Amen!

Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

jb wrote:This is not entirely true. Granted that Lagos fans are very passionate about football, they continue to be overly unpredictable and will cheer their opponents in a heart beat, should the Super Eagles don't play well. I doubt that you want that kind of situation in a very sensitive game. In terms of numbers, they are up there and I can guarantee you that the the stadium will not be empty.
:sneaky: i detect lack of basic comprehension here :shock:
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

the same lagos fans that would boo their own when the score is 0=0 after 30 minutes these fools were booing siasia in his first game for eagles against salone at balogun stadium despite the score being 1-0 at first half
cyrilndo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cyrilndo »

Eagles not playing in National Stadium in Lagos is like Cameroon not playing at the Ahmadou Ahidjo Stadium in Yaounde.
I don't remember the time Cameroon lost a game at that Stadium. Best in memory is a draw.
" The best way to have a fair judgement on anything is to imagine yourself sitting somewhere in space watching planet earth with the beings that inhabit it, especially those who call themselves homo sapiens. You have no nationality or tribe, you are not a fan of Arsenal, Barca, Inter Milan, Manchester United etc. You won't see a booty or huge boobs if they walk pass you. Money is like tissue to you. what is your opinion? "

This post has been made by camex whom I have ignored.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

john12 wrote:the same lagos fans that would boo their own when the score is 0=0 after 30 minutes these fools were booing siasia in his first game for eagles against salone at balogun stadium despite the score being 1-0 at first half
When you are part of the Super Eagles you get used to it and you always bring your A-game whenever you put on the green and white of Nigeria. It's no longer a short vacation from your club. It's a war.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

I played for Nigeria for 10 years and we never lost at the National Stadium. That shows you how mythical it was to play there. The players need that kind of atmosphere to perform,” he concluded.
Not to detract from the subject matter but Nigeria lost to Cameroon in the 2000 ANC final at the national stadium.
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

ukwala wrote:

I played for Nigeria for 10 years and we never lost at the National Stadium. That shows you how mythical it was to play there. The players need that kind of atmosphere to perform,” he concluded.
Not to detract from the subject matter but Nigeria lost to Cameroon in the 2000 ANC final at the national stadium.

They did not lose in regulation time.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Abeg leave story! In the period Oliseh is talking about we also played elsewhere (Ibadan, Enugu and Port Harcourt) and did not lose! We recorded emphatic victories in PH on our way to WC 2002 qualification. If we have a good team we will win, the venue notwithstanding. Germany and Italy rotate their home games between different cities and still win.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Yeah, Lagos fans love football so much that they don't even have a single Div 1 (Premiere League) team.

Why don't they focus on getting club footie in Lagos and show us how they support their team.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

if you bring match back to Lagos ,my fear is you boo this current SE they might end up losing by a wide margin. the quality is just not there to go the extra gear up unlike the Eagles in the days of oliseh
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

aruako1 wrote:Abeg leave story! In the period Oliseh is talking about we also played elsewhere (Ibadan, Enugu and Port Harcourt) and did not lose! We recorded emphatic victories in PH on our way to WC 2002 qualification. If we have a good team we will win, the venue notwithstanding. Germany and Italy rotate their home games between different cities and still win.
KPOM. Add to that, Brazil rotates its home games as well.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Cellular wrote:Yeah, Lagos fans love football so much that they don't even have a single Div 1 (Premiere League) team.

Why don't they focus on getting club footie in Lagos and show us how they support their team.
Lagos government is a progressive. He doesn't believe in wasting tax payers money on football clubs. All the clubs in Lagos are privately owned. Lagos is ahead of other states. It is inevitable that all of the clubs in Nigeria will be privately owned.

MFN- first in NNL group, could be promoted to the NPFL
First bank- 2nd in NNL group behind MFN could be promoted.
Ikorodu Utd- 2nd in NNL group
Bridge Boys- 3rd division
COD- 3rd division
Stationary Stores- 3rd division

We have the Lagos league .
Last edited by ohenhen1 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

ohenhen1 wrote:
Cellular wrote:Yeah, Lagos fans love football so much that they don't even have a single Div 1 (Premiere League) team.

Lagos government is a progressive. He doesn't believe in wasting tax payers money on football clubs. All the clubs in Lagos are privately owned. Lagos is ahead of other states. It is inevitable that all of the clubs in Nigeria will be privately owned.

COD- 3rd division
Good to hear...

Maybe by them gaining promotion it will compel the Lagos State government to bid to host the Eagles.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Cellular wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:

COD- 3rd division
Good to hear...

Maybe by them gaining promotion it will compel the Lagos State government to bid to host the Eagles.
Kaduna don't have a team in the NPFL, but they hosted the game against Chad and they will host the game against Egypt. The Ahmadu Bello Stadium is not even the best stadium in Nigeria.
Lagos state government will not finance the NFF to bring the Eagles to Lagos. I think that is the problem. Other states will pay to have the Eagles in their state.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx