Oliseh - Coaching Super Eagles: What they won’t tell you!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet
Oliseh - Coaching Super Eagles: What they won’t tell you!

Post by Sunset »

Coaching Super Eagles: What they won’t tell you!
http://www.sundayoliseh.tv/what-they-wo ... ching-job/

Two days after starting as chief coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria a representative of a major sport website came up to me in Abuja to make me an offer: “Give us privileged access and information to the Super Eagles and in return we will write only positive things about you and the team”.

As you would expect, I declined the offer and today that website has been christened “the anti-Sunday Oliseh’s Super Eagles Website”. Others have made similar offers and some even worse….

I have been in charge of the Super Eagles for five months. So far we have played eight games, won four, recorded three away draws and suffered one defeat. We have only conceded two goals in one match (against the third best African nation, DR Congo) while we have scored nine goals with a relatively new set of players.

The average Nigerian is ecstatic about the results, but those who seek and represent special interests, beg to disagree.

Coaching Nigeria, though challenging, gives one so much joy when one feels as we do, the joy it brings to over 170 million people. There seems to be a renewed interest in the national team.

One would think prior to taking charge of the Super Eagles (as those we refused privileged access try to portray) Nigeria were winning every game and playing champagne football.

The truth is the total opposite though as we only recorded one victory in five games, including a home defeat to Uganda, and were absent from the 2015 Afcon.

The Nigerian Football Federation, under this new administration is actually (to my knowledge) bent on trying to bring about positive change to the county’s football which fortunately falls in line with our philosophy.

It explains why we have personally invested so much time in improving the home based stars by training camps with a defined and well scouted ‘young players scheme’ from the Nigerian local league.

That investment as you may have noticed paid huge dividends as we lined up for our just concluded World Cup Qualifiers against Swaziland, as four home stars decisively participated in our progression.

Nigerian are so passionate about the National team that, rightfully so, they act as analysts and coaches, which really is fun to witness, but it would be wise to accept that Nigeria’s decline in world football, which started way back as 2002 (13 years ago) will not be overturned in a short period of time. This fact is universal, it is up to us to accept it or keep denying it.

Building a team takes time, money and a clear-cut philosophy among others things. Just ask teams that invest over £200 million on player acquisitions, get to coach their players daily and still categorically state that they are still building over a year later.

Should our dear Nigeria be any different?

Moses Simon, Sylvester Igboun, Chima Akas, Paul Onobie, Shehu Abdullahi, Carl Ikeme, Odion Ighalo and Austin Obaroakpo among others are new players that now star for the Super Eagles. That were not the case in the recent past and it is refreshing to see and be part of their team build-up.

One major obstacle that any Nigerian coach of the Super Eagles faces is that there really is no successful precedence at the highest level by a Nigerian to imitate.

Our successful golden era in the 90s saw us blessed with exceptional players who needed little or no coaching to excel, while being coached by Clemence Westerhoff and Bonfrere Jo — coaches who after Nigeria could not repeat that success anywhere else..and the rest you know!

I am quite optimistic about the progression of the Super Eagles and just as we welcome the applause that have been showered on the team by the fans, we also welcome constructive criticisms towards the team that simultaneously offer suggestions at how it could be done better.

Many can tell you what they think is wrong with you, but very few can effectively tell and show you how to do it better! 2008 ushered in a new era in world football: that of a team oriented success over individual stars.

That explains why we rarely see heavy scorelines anymore as was the case in the past due to the fact that even if a team lacks individual, highly talented stars to win, they build their competitiveness around collective schemes and though in the end they might crumble to better talented teams they will not be ridiculed.

Nigeria have no choice in my opinion; we need to build a talented, hungry and patriotic team to serve our 170 million compatriots.

Thanks for your support and Long Live Nigeria
opine
Egg
Egg
Re: Oliseh - Coaching Super Eagles: What they won’t tell you

Post by opine »

As much as I want him to succeed, he needs to shut it and get on with his work. After he accomplishes something of note he can start writing editorials. biko
Tbite wrote: Yes we have deadweights in our team like Babatunde, Agbim and Rueben, but they are OUR deadweights! Our wastepipes! We must love them...respect them! If we do not love our junks....who will? Who?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

opine wrote:As much as I want him to succeed, he needs to shut it and get on with his work. After he accomplishes something of note he can start writing editorials. biko
He completely dismissed the 2013/2014 team, making it seem that we've sucked since 2002, but wants praise for winning 2-0 vs Swaziland while dismissing REAL success...dude really needs to just do his work and talk when he wins something...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

:D he has a point though, but there are no sentiments in football, especially when is comes to the SE and Nigerians.. however he needs to forget the press and do his work
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Disappointing that he thinks that all his critics represent special interests.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

He is very immature and while that's a character flaw, it's also one he shares with many other successful football managers. His immaturity affects his day-to-day interactions with people but he could very well make up for it by being a good at team selection, tactics, man management and other aspects of football coaching.

Judging his coaching so far, based on results and results only, I am pleased with his introduction of new players, his openness with the fans, and his record - most importantly.

Finally I'd like to say that his paranoia is somewhat justified. There are websites and people (mostly people who think Keshi should not have been fired, even on this website) who ignore our success and celebrate gleefully when the team doesn't do well.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

opine wrote:As much as I want him to succeed, he needs to shut it and get on with his work. After he accomplishes something of note he can start writing editorials. biko
He doesn't need to shut up.
Why should he? He can get on with his work without shutting up.

Nigerians never shut up - not even the 'deaf and dumb'. So if you leave Nigerians to do all the talking, they will end up burying you - by which time it'll be too late.

Can anyone tell YOU to shut up?
I doubt it, even if they might want to. :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

niyi wrote:He is very immature and while that's a character flaw, it's also one he shares with many other successful football managers. His immaturity affects his day-to-day interactions with people but he could very well make up for it by being a good at team selection, tactics, man management and other aspects of football coaching.

Judging his coaching so far, based on results and results only, I am pleased with his introduction of new players, his openness with the fans, and his record - most importantly.

Finally I'd like to say that his paranoia is somewhat justified. There are websites and people (mostly people who think Keshi should not have been fired, even on this website) who ignore our success and celebrate gleefully when the team doesn't do well.
look at this kid, you wey still dey under 23 years of age dey call Oliseh immature :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , kai wonders will never end.. this irony
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

maceo4 wrote:
He completely dismissed the 2013/2014 team, making it seem that we've sucked since 2002, but wants praise for winning 2-0 vs Swaziland while dismissing REAL success...dude really needs to just do his work and talk when he wins something...
Did he? Enyeama, Ambrose, Omeruo, Oboabona, Echejile, Mikel, Onazi, Moses, Emenike, Musa, Obiora have all been invited by SO. The people missing - Igiebor and Mba - were already thrown out by Keshi
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
niyi wrote:He is very immature and while that's a character flaw, it's also one he shares with many other successful football managers. His immaturity affects his day-to-day interactions with people but he could very well make up for it by being a good at team selection, tactics, man management and other aspects of football coaching.

look at this kid, you wey still dey under 23 years of age dey call Oliseh immature :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , kai wonders will never end.. this irony
Unfortunately for you maturity isn't all about age. You should know about that as a mental-diaper wearer.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

niyi wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Did he? Enyeama, Ambrose, Omeruo, Oboabona, Echejile, Mikel, Onazi, Moses, Emenike, Musa, Obiora have all been invited by SO. The people missing - Igiebor and Mba - were already thrown out by Keshi
I'm talking about this writeup, he makes it seem like SE has sucked since 2002 and doesn't give credit or acknowledgement to the 2013/4 team but is quick to point out that he took over a team that had lost to Uganda at home. Looking at the list of players he retained one can say he took over a team with a lot of champions on it.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote:
KPOM. It is shocking that he fails to acknowledge that in spite of the decline that he talked about, Nigeria won the 2013 Nations Cup. That should never be dismissed as if it never happened.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

maceo4 wrote:
niyi wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
I'm talking about this writeup, he makes it seem like SE has sucked since 2002 and doesn't give credit or acknowledgement to the 2013/4 team but is quick to point out that he took over a team that had lost to Uganda at home. Looking at the list of players he retained one can say he took over a team with a lot of champions on it.
I agree with you he exaggerated but I think the SE has been pretty bad for 2 years now and I agree it will take a while to get back on the right track again. It is natural that he views his personnel changes as more significant than they actually are... can't blame him for that.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Enugu II wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
KPOM. It is shocking that he fails to acknowledge that in spite of the decline that he talked about, Nigeria won the 2013 Nations Cup. That should never be dismissed as if it never happened.

It's vexing.The chap needs to learn to keep quiet and just do his work. There's no need to eviscerate Westerhof and Bonfrere (though the former picked on him recently). The way they go on about the 94 set, you'd think those highly gifted lads won more everything. At the end of the day, they accomplished the exact same things Keshi's much less gifted squad did....one ANC and one meagre second round world cup showing.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Nice one Coach Sunday Oliseh.
You are human, not God, not a designed Robot, so not perfect. You have shared your thoughts from your personal perspective. You have every right to your opinion and whether your opinion is acceptable to some or not, no one can deny that the effort to sit down and share your thought shows deep respect for Nigerians who follow the national team. Glad you care enough about the fans to share your thoughts with us whether we agree with you or not - some in your shoes would have been like 'na their shelenge be that, they can go and complain on the moon!' but you did not do that and I hope the responses you get, good or bad, from the wise and the delusional, from the accomplished and the clowns, from the achievers and the mere empty barrels, will also help you in your professional and personal development. Keep doing your thing!
:clap:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Our successful golden era in the 90s saw us blessed with exceptional players who needed little or no coaching to excel, while being coached by Clemence Westerhoff and Bonfrere Jo — coaches who after Nigeria could not repeat that success anywhere else..and the rest you know!
GBOSA! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: no be today we begin talk am :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Well, ANC SF and WC QF or he is toast! No story about that one. No room for any excuse. He can do it whichever way he like.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

maceo4 wrote:
niyi wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Did he lie in anything he said?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

opine
Egg
Egg

Post by opine »

Damunk wrote:
He doesn't need to shut up.
Why should he? He can get on with his work without shutting up.

Nigerians never shut up - not even the 'deaf and dumb'. So if you leave Nigerians to do all the talking, they will end up burying you - by which time it'll be too late.

Can anyone tell YOU to shut up?
I doubt it, even if they might want to. :lol:
I see your greater point but all the talk in world by the press will evaporate with one significant accomplishment. On the other hand, no amount of defending himself by writing articles will save him from them if he stumbles and falls on the green grass. Of course he can work and engage them but that's just stoking the flames, adding enemies, and increasing the stakes and pressure of his work. I don't want to hear tomorrow that he has been rushed to hospital again. I don talk my own :D
Tbite wrote: Yes we have deadweights in our team like Babatunde, Agbim and Rueben, but they are OUR deadweights! Our wastepipes! We must love them...respect them! If we do not love our junks....who will? Who?
opine
Egg
Egg

Post by opine »

metalalloy wrote:
GBOSA! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: no be today we begin talk am :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Uppercut
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

Oliseh is an imbecile.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Conservative: a liberal who has been mugged by reality.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

metalalloy wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
niyi wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
I didn't accuse him of lying though, I'm saying you can't ignore what Keshi did. We have been bad since 2002 according to him but Keshi molded an ANC winning team two years ago, of which Oliseh has selected most of these same players. To me that oversight seems like a jab at Keshi, while in the same piece celebrating a meager win against minnows. Lets see what he is able to accomplish with them...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

maceo4 wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
niyi wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
I didn't accuse him of lying though, I'm saying you can't ignore what Keshi did. We have been bad since 2002 according to him but Keshi molded an ANC winning team two years ago, of which Oliseh has selected most of these same players. To me that oversight seems like a jab at Keshi, while in the same piece celebrating a meager win against minnows. Lets see what he is able to accomplish with them...

Yet the same team molded two year ago could not qualify for the subsequent ANC, and never really came close to reaching the heights they attained in that tournament. It is a fact that the SE had 1 victory in 5 games prior to Oliseh taking over. Nothing that happened before can change that fact. His point was directed at the unnamed website (i suspect Goal) that is attacking him for the way his team is playing despite the above average results that they are achieving. It is a fact that we have been in decline since 2002. They will be growing pains as Nigeria once again tries to dig out of a football depression, and the coach needs a little bit of leeway to set his plans in motion. At least that's what i got out of that statement. If he fails, he will be fired, just like the long list of victims before him.