Update: 2013 Golden Eaglets 2 (Now 8) years Later

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet
Update: 2013 Golden Eaglets 2 (Now 8) years Later

Post by Sunset »

This took me a while to do, sha I did a general overview of how players who played a part in Manu Garba's U17's team, be it in the Qualifiers, the Tournament in Morocco, or in the UAE.

The ones who Joined a foreign team
SUCCESS ISAAC & KELECHI IHEANACHO -

What can I say about these two? They started their rivalry at the U17's and they have continued it at the highest level of football, they're both tied on 3 goals so far this season.
Wilfred Ndidi -

Was among Manu Garba's dependables during qualifiers for the U17 AFCON, but failed the MRI test, despite that he was included by John Obuh in his U20 team in Turkey at the age of 16 and displaced Chizoba Amaefule from the CB position, he would also be part of Manu Garba's U20 team two years later where he really acquitted himself and was then signed by Belgian club Genk. They seem to have converted him into a DM, not sure if that will be his permanent position for them, but he's so far been a regular for them this season in Midifield, even got capped by Oliseh.
Saviour Godwin -

Was a bit part Player for the team during the U17's; after the Tournament he joined NNL side Plateau United on loan for a season, wasn't part of Manu Garba's AYC, but became a crucial player in Siasia's U23's in qualifying, which led to Manu calling him into the WYC team where he managed 2 goals and 1 assist. Following the tournament he was signed by Belgian club KV Oostende where he actually scored on his debut, has only made two appearances for them so far in the season.
MUSA YAHAYA -

Was one of our top performers for the U17's, missed out on the AYC due to an injury and only made two appearances at the World Cup. Made one ridiculous assist for Isaac Success' goal against Brazil, not really sure why he was dropped there after. There has been some uncertainty on whether he is owned by Tottenham, but seems to have been in Nigeria these past few months, he will be turning 18 next week which should clear everything up.
CHIDERA EZEH -

Joined Porto almost after the U17 world cup, but it was only made official after his 18th Birthday last month, he's listed as a player of their U19 team. Had a poor AYC and wasn't even used at the Wold CUp by Manu Garba.
CHIDIEBERE NWAKALI -

Spent last season with Malaga's B team in the Spanish Tecera Division (4th) was a regular for them there and this season was sent on loan to Girona FC, where he hasn't made a league appearance yet.
TAIWO AWONIYI -

There was a lot of speculation about where he would be playing, but on transfer deadline day Liverpool signed him and immediately sent him on loan to FSV Frankfurt in the German Second Division, hasn't made a league appearance for them yet, but made his debut in a cup game.
MUSA MOHAMMED SHEHU -

Joined Turkish Super Lig side BAŞAKŞEHIR, hasn't been listed by them in the Turkish Lig yet, but has been playing for the First team in friendlies during International breaks.
IZU OMEGO -

Was part of the U17 team in Morocco, actually got sent off, I believe in the final against Ivory Coast. Didn't make it to the UAE team, due to MRI results, but was part of the team that won the AYC in Senegal, he can play both Left Back and in the centre. I don't think he was used by Manu Garba at the World cup, since Ndidi joined the squad, but after the tournament, he ended up joining Turkish Second division club Yeni Matalyaspor (Sunday Mba, Azubuike Okeychukwu, George Akpabio) where he hasn't made an appearance yet.
Aliyu Abubakar -

He wasn't part of the team in Morocco, but was included in the UAE squad, and until his introduction to the starting XI the defence was looking a bit lightweight and shaky. He would be part of the U20 team in qualifiers, but didn't go to Senegal and wasn't part of the World Cup team. He did join Israeli top division club Ashdod during qualifiers, but unlucky to him that was the season they got relegated. He did make one appearance with them that season.
Dele Alampasu -

He really seemed to come out of no where when the U17 World Cup started, he wasn't part of our U17 team in Morocco, but was included after the 1st choice was ruled out after an accident. He would end up winning the Golden Glove in the UAE and would also be included in our CHAN team. He would then be reduced to a bench role at both the AYC and the WYC, he would end up joining Portuguese second division side CD Feirense, but he has only been listed for one game (on the bench). However he somehow is part of the full International squad.
BERNARD BULBWA -

Was part of the U17 squad that came runners up in Morocco, only scored one goal in the tournament, but didn't go to the UAE due to the MRI tests I believe. He also scored only one goal at the AYC, but what a goal it was! Probably wouldn't score a goal like that for the rest of his career and to top it off it was the match winner in the final vs Senegal. Made it the the U20 World Cu where he was extremely underwhelming, but worked hard. Following the AYC he was actually signed by Esperance who he's playing for right now and has 2 goals in 4 games.

The ones who joined Local NPFL teams
IFEANYI MATTHEW -

Was a crucial member of the U17 team in qualifiers, but didn't make the World Cup squad, joined EL-Kanemi Warriors in the NPFL the following year, scoring some cracking goals for them in the League. And much like U17's he was a crucial member of the AYC team, but was ruled out of the whole World cup after an injury in the opening game against Brazil. He has been a crucial member of Oliseh's CHAN eagles so far.
ZAHARADDEN BELLO -

He joined Kano Pillars just after the U20 World cup, and slowly cemented his place in the Kano Pillars Starting XI. Was part of Siasia's U23 team in Senegal, but was dropped after the first game. His height might not have been too exposed, but at the senior level, I won't be surprised if he would be converted to the DM, which he has all the tools IMO to pull off.
Samuel Okon -

Was very impressive at the U17 World Cup, scoring two goals and after a few deals with European clubs fell through, he settled with Akwa United in the NPFL.

Already with a Foreign club
Habib Makanjuola -

He seems to have left Chelsea, he's now with Lecicester City's youth team
Francis Uzoho -

Still with the Aspire Academy. Was 14 when he was included in the 2013 squad and would've been eligible for the 2015 set if he he wasn't part of this set.

The ones who seem to have just disappeared off the radar/I couldn't find any more information on.

AKINJIDE IDOWU :oops:

Abdullahi Alfa

Mustapha Abdullahi

SALIU ALI-BABA

AHMED UMAR

Denis Nya

Raymond Japhet

Abdulazeez Abubakar

Thanks to mystic and Westafrican football for help with those I didn't know :clap: :clap: :clap:
mystic wrote: 1. Adeyinka Adewale signed with Georgian outfit Dinamo Tbilisi earlier in the year.

2. Alhassan Ibrahim is in Nigeria now after a failed move to Belgian side Westerlo (I'm not sure what went wrong). He was called up to the U23s ahead of their Olympic qualifiying tournament/CAF U23 Nations Cup in Senegal, but was rusty and didn't impress. Best bet for him will be to sign with a Nigerian club ahead of the upcoming season and work his way up the ladder.

3. Chigozie Obasi, last I heard had trials with Bastia in September and they appeared to be keen on him at the time, but not sure what has since transpired.

4. Akinjide Idowu - not sure what he's up to. This is one player that I really like and I hope he doesn't slip through the cracks.
Last edited by Sunset on Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
ogasir
Egg
Egg
Re: 2013 Golden Eaglets 2 years Later

Post by ogasir »

Ifeanyi Matthew is smart. Instead of going to trials in obscure European countries like a lot of the other U17 guys, dude just joined a club in the NPL and now it is paying off. Barring injuries he will make the CHAN team and may even end up in the Olympic team.
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Good thread. You've done well sunset
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Great job Sunset!

On some of the players who you were wondering about:

1. Adeyinka Adewale signed with Georgian outfit Dinamo Tbilisi earlier in the year.

2. Alhassan Ibrahim is in Nigeria now after a failed move to Belgian side Westerlo (I'm not sure what went wrong). He was called up to the U23s ahead of their Olympic qualifiying tournament/CAF U23 Nations Cup in Senegal, but was rusty and didn't impress. Best bet for him will be to sign with a Nigerian club ahead of the upcoming season and work his way up the ladder.

3. Chigozie Obasi, last I heard had trials with Bastia in September and they appeared to be keen on him at the time, but not sure what has since transpired.

4. Akinjide Idowu - not sure what he's up to. This is one player that I really like and I hope he doesn't slip through the cracks.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sunset wrote:This took me a while to do, sha I did a general overview of how players who played a part in Manu Garba's U17's team, be it in the Qualifiers, the Tournament in Morocco, or in the UAE.

What can I say about these two? They started their rivalry at the U17's and they have continued it at the highest level of football, they're both tied on 3 goals so far this season.
Wilfred Ndidi -

Was among Manu Garba's dependables during qualifiers for the U17 AFCON, but failed the MRI test, despite that he was included by John Obuh in his U20 team in Turkey at the age of 16 and displaced Chizoba Amaefule from the CB position, he would also be part of Manu Garba's U20 team two years later where he really acquitted himself and was then signed by Belgian club Gent. They seem to have converted him into a DM, not sure if that will be his permanent position for them, but he's so far been a regular for them this season in Midifield, even got capped by Oliseh.
Saviour Godwin -

Was a bit part Player for the team during the U17's; after the Tournament he joined NNL side Plateau United on loan for a season, wasn't part of Manu Garba's AYC, but became a crucial player in Siasia's U23's in qualifying, which led to Manu calling him into the WYC team where he managed 2 goals and 1 assist. Following the tournament he was signed by Belgian club KV Oostende where he actually scored on his debut, has only made two appearances for them so far in the season.
MUSA YAHAYA -

Was one of our top performers for the U17's, missed out on the AYC due to an injury and only made two appearances at the World Cup. Made one ridiculous assist for Isaac Success' goal against Brazil, not really sure why he was dropped there after. There has been some uncertainty on whether he is owned by Tottenham, but seems to have been in Nigeria these past few months, he will be turning 18 next week which should clear everything up.
CHIDERA EZEH -

Joined Porto almost after the U17 world cup, but it was only made official after his 18th Birthday last month, he's listed as a player of their U19 team. Had a poor AYC and wasn't even used at the Wold CUp by Manu Garba.
CHIDIEBERE NWAKALI -

Spent last season with Malaga's B team in the Spanish Tecera Division (4th) was a regular for them there and this season was sent on loan to Girona FC, where he hasn't made a league appearance yet.
TAIWO AWONIYI -

There was a lot of speculation about where he would be playing, but on transfer deadline day Liverpool signed him and immediately sent him on loan to FSV Frankfurt in the German Second Division, hasn't made a league appearance for them yet, but made his debut in a cup game.
MUSA MOHAMMED SHEHU -

Joined Turkish Super Lig side BAŞAKŞEHIR, hasn't been listed by them in the Turkish Lig yet, but has been playing for the First team in friendlies during International breaks.
IZU OMEGO -

Was part of the U17 team in Morocco, actually got sent off, I believe in the final against Ivory Coast. Didn't make it to the UAE team, due to MRI results, but was part of the team that won the AYC in Senegal, he can play both Left Back and in the centre. I don't think he was used by Manu Garba at the World cup, since Ndidi joined the squad, but after the tournament, he ended up joining Turkish Second division club Yeni Matalyaspor (Sunday Mba, Azubuike Okeychukwu, George Akpabio) where he hasn't made an appearance yet.
Aliyu Abubakar -

He wasn't part of the team in Morocco, but was included in the UAE squad, and until his introduction to the starting XI the defence was looking a bit lightweight and shaky. He would be part of the U20 team in qualifiers, but didn't go to Senegal and wasn't part of the World Cup team. He did join Israeli top division club Ashdod during qualifiers, but unlucky to him that was the season they got relegated. He did make one appearance with them that season.
Dele Alampasu -

He really seemed to come out of no where when the U17 World Cup started, he wasn't part of our U17 team in Morocco, but was included after the 1st choice was ruled out after an accident. He would end up winning the Golden Glove in the UAE and would also be included in our CHAN team. He would then be reduced to a bench role at both the AYC and the WYC, he would end up joining Portuguese second division side CD Feirense, but he has only been listed for one game (on the bench). However he somehow is part of the full International squad.
BERNARD BULBWA -

Was part of the U17 squad that came runners up in Morocco, only scored one goal in the tournament, but didn't go to the UAE due to the MRI tests I believe. He also scored only one goal at the AYC, but what a goal it was! Probably wouldn't score a goal like that for the rest of his career and to top it off it was the match winner in the final vs Senegal. Made it the the U20 World Cu where he was extremely underwhelming, but worked hard. Following the AYC he was actually signed by Esperance who he's playing for right now and has 2 goals in 4 games.

The ones who joined Local NPFL teams
IFEANYI MATTHEW -

Was a crucial member of the U17 team in qualifiers, but didn't make the World Cup squad, joined EL-Kanemi Warriors in the NPFL the following year, scoring some cracking goals for them in the League. And much like U17's he was a crucial member of the AYC team, but was ruled out of the whole World cup after an injury in the opening game against Brazil. He has been a crucial member of Oliseh's CHAN eagles so far.
ZAHARADDEN BELLO -

He joined Kano Pillars just after the U20 World cup, and slowly cemented his place in the Kano Pillars Starting XI. Was part of Siasia's U23 team in Senegal, but was dropped after the first game. His height might not have been too exposed, but at the senior level, I won't be surprised if he would be converted to the DM, which he has all the tools IMO to pull off.
Samuel Okon -

Was very impressive at the U17 World Cup, scoring two goals and after a few deals with European clubs fell through, he settled with Akwa United in the NPFL.

Already with a Foreign club
Habib Makanjuola -

He seems to have left Chelsea, he's now with Lecicester City's youth team
Francis Uzoho -

Still with the Aspire Academy. Was 14 when he was included in the 2013 squad and would've been eligible for the 2015 set if he he wasn't part of this set.

The ones who seem to have just disappeared off the radar/I couldn't find any more information on.

AKINJIDE IDOWU :oops:

Alhassas Ibrahim

Abdullahi Alfa

Mustapha Abdullahi

ADEYINKA ADEWALE

ADAMU ABUBAKAR

EMEKA NWABULU

SALIU ALI-BABA

AHMED UMAR

Denis Nya

Chigozi Obasi

Raymond Japhet

Abdulazeez Abubakar
Sunset,

Thanks for putting this up. Excellent!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Yujam and Cell, can we archive on the main page and make it open for updates in the future
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
jb
Egg
Egg

Post by jb »

furiously frank wrote:Yujam and Cell, can we archive on the main page and make it open for updates in the future
Good job sunset. This is what we call research.
obaGol
Egg
Egg

Post by obaGol »

Sunset wrote:This took me a while to do, sha I did a general overview of how players who played a part in Manu Garba's U17's team, be it in the Qualifiers, the Tournament in Morocco, or in the UAE.

Wilfred Ndidi -

Was among Manu Garba's dependables during qualifiers for the U17 AFCON, but failed the MRI test, despite that he was included by John Obuh in his U20 team in Turkey at the age of 16 and displaced Chizoba Amaefule from the CB position, he would also be part of Manu Garba's U20 team two years later where he really acquitted himself and was then signed by Belgian club Gent. They seem to have converted him into a DM, not sure if that will be his permanent position for them, but he's so far been a regular for them this season in Midifield, even got capped by Oliseh.
Saviour Godwin -

MUSA YAHAYA -

Well done here however I have a correction for you; Yahaya also scored in the game against Brazil
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Thanks Sunset. But wow, I didn't realize all the changes based on failed MRI tests, seems Garba would have presented a vastly (?) different team if they had passed. Wonder if they would have been just as good, as some of the bobo's that failed seemed to have made it to the U-20 team that was very underwhelming...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Sunset, good job.
We need to have a dedicated page to track our young players and how they are progressing.
Sunset's work should be a start...
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Good thread. You've done well sunset
:clap: :clap:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Good Job bro. We need more of this.

This is the kind of threads needed on this site and not all the dross some people post on a daily basis.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Cito wrote:Good Job bro. We need more of this.

This is the kind of threads needed on this site and not all the dross some people post on a daily basis.
name names :tic:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Just doing what I can guys, thank you o! :thumbs:
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

pajimoh wrote:
Cito wrote:Good Job bro. We need more of this.

name names :tic:
Nah, that will derail the thread.

....The biggest(no pun intended) culprit posted up there^^....within 10-12 post up
:sneaky:
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Sunset wrote:Wilfred Ndidi -

Good job bro... :clap:

Ndidi joined Gent BEFORE the WYC (which is why he missed the AYC)...
And, in addition to DM, has played in all four Back-Four positions for Gent.

PS: And Z. Bello plays primarily at DM for Kano Pillars.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Musa Muhammed made his competitive debut for Başakşehir today in their cup game, even (kind of) got an assist as well. :clap: :clap:
[/video]
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Musa Yahaya turns 18 today.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

Good to see Musa Muhammed starting to feature for his club, now hopefully Yahaya sorts out his situation. That kid has too much potential to let it go to waste.
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
rasak74
Egg
Egg

Post by rasak74 »

I'm so proud of Issac, Kelechi and Ndidi at the moment, i wish the rest good luck as well.
Internet gangster
Uses the internet as a front for acting like a tough guy gang member, usually because they are hoping to gain the respect that they lack in their real life. Don't be fooled........This person is a sham. This person is not actually an attack dog, they are a timid house cat.
Troll
One who deliberately starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

niyi wrote:Musa Yahaya turns 18 today.
Finally we see an end to the entire saga!
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Iheanacho played for the MC youth squad on Monday. Two assists and within inches of scoring if not for a last second clearance (his teammate actually scored from the clearance).

Minor correction:
Wilfried Ndidi plays for GENK, not Gent.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

marutimon wrote:Iheanacho played for the MC youth squad on Monday. Two assists and within inches of scoring if not for a last second clearance (his teammate actually scored from the clearance).

Minor correction:
Wilfried Ndidi plays for GENK, not Gent.
Weytin him still dey find for there? :?:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "