Reps pass bill to break monopoly of DSTV

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Reps pass bill to break monopoly of DSTV

Post by Gotti »

Btw, the very essence of COMPETITION is that folks should be able to charge different prices for different products...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Gotti wrote:Btw, the very essence of COMPETITION is that folks should be able to charge different prices for different products...
Supersports and DSTV should be different companies. We should strengthen our anti trust laws. The competitors of DSTV should be able to pay a fair fee to be able to carry Supersports. DSTV can't just continue to raise prices anyhow, they are taking advantage of customers.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

ohenhen1 wrote:It is not a complete monopoly you are right. But it prevents fair competition. The NASS was right to act. The new emphasis should be help local companies. EPL is not developed by DSTV. I don't get your point there. It is actually morally right to protect the Nigerian consumers from blackmail. People can't switch because they want to watch the EPL. This blackmail will never happen in the US, only in Nigeria. Even if it happens, multiple lawsuits would be filed against DSTV.
I realize that some Nigerians do not quite get it, but...
Watching the EPL is NOT an inalienable right (guaranteed by our constitution).

Of course, anyone can always go to the neighbourhood bar or viewing center to watch EPL without having to personally subscribe to DSTV. Nonetheless, t he saddest part of this discourse is that it is fundamentally underpinned by an undercurrent of xenophobia, because this so-called "monopoly" was not much of an issue when the exclusive rights to the EPL in Nigeria was held by the Nigerian Hi-TV (which charged astronomical rates for crappy fare and often horribly-blurred pictures - when the transmission itself was not interrupted). Abeg, let's quit kitty cat-footing and call a spade a spade.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The Nigerian market is open as far as I am aware. A monopoly does not currently exist. However, competitive markets can and do lead to an oligarchical or monopoly market in theory. This plausible development is what is regarded as "the achilles heel" in a capitalist market (read the work of Karl Marx). It is also the very reason why capitalist markets such as the USA introduce a repair system (Anti-trust law).

Lets assume that a competitive market exists, how does the anti-trust law in Nigeria force competitors to carry EPL games? Can someone explain how that will occur? I ask because exclusivity of programming does exist in capitalist programs and does not necessarily violate the antitrust law.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

ohenhen1 wrote:Supersports and DSTV should be different companies. We should strengthen our anti trust laws. The competitors of DSTV should be able to pay a fair fee to be able to carry Supersports. DSTV can't just continue to raise prices anyhow, they are taking advantage of customers.
And while at it, your neighbours should be able to pay a "fair fee" to occupy parts of your house (the garage, the spare bedroom, the kitchen and the den)...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote:The Nigerian market is open as far as I am aware. A monopoly does not currently exist. However, competitive markets can and do lead to an oligarchical or monopoly market in theory. This plausible development is what is regarded as "the achilles heel" in a capitalist market (read the work of Karl Marx). It is also the very reason why capitalist markets such as the USA introduce a repair system (Anti-trust law).

Lets assume that a competitive market exists, how does the anti-trust law in Nigeria force competitors to carry EPL games? Can someone explain how that will occur? I ask because exclusivity of programming does exist in capitalist programs and does not necessarily violate the antitrust law.
The sad part is that a Competition Bill has been moribund in the same NASS since 2003 (tabled by the Obasanjo administration) - but apparently does not include the core fundamental "right" of cheap EPL games.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Seriously is this not suppose to be in rant and rave.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
jungle-jawara
Egg
Egg

Post by jungle-jawara »

Hitv once won the bid for the EPL, but they miss used it, while there prices were moderate, other aspect of their business was pants. Customer service sucked, their staff were rude among other things. So by the time the next bidcame along, obviously they lost and many were glad. The good thing about that period was it created an enabling position for competition. Miltichoice dropped their charges, got new stations aired etc. What I thing the problem really is now is the inabiltu yo regulate its cost. Their should be a body responsible for the check mating of these companies, I am talking about variance in price. While one company is charge at the most N6k per month, multi choice charges N16,100 monthly, and that is without the ppv or dual view.they are running the market like its about to go out of business, grab whatuou can grab now syndrome.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Gotti wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:I can't get Supersports on Startimes. Even if Startimes want to buy the rights to broadcast Supersports.
Duh! :shock:

Supersports is part of the Multichoice-DSTV pay-TV group...
So why exactly do you think that you can get it in a COMPETING Pay-TV channel?!
That's how Nigerians are, they want everything for free. They expect a company to invest in Nigeria with all the infrastructure problems and bring topnotch service for a pittance.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

I have no comment on this. Let me see the date I am meant to renew my DSTv subscription. My only beef with them is that they havent entered the cable internet market.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Is DStV the Nigerian equivalent of SKY UK and Supersport the equivalent of Sky Sports?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Super sports also paid for TV rights for the Nigerian premier league.. No other satellite provide in Nigeria is interested in showing Nigeria premier league except super sports..
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
rasak74
Egg
Egg

Post by rasak74 »

Gotti wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:Supersports and DSTV should be different companies. We should strengthen our anti trust laws. The competitors of DSTV should be able to pay a fair fee to be able to carry Supersports. DSTV can't just continue to raise prices anyhow, they are taking advantage of customers.
And while at it, your neighbours should be able to pay a "fair fee" to occupy parts of your house (the garage, the spare bedroom, the kitchen and the den)...
Hahahahahahahahah
Internet gangster
Uses the internet as a front for acting like a tough guy gang member, usually because they are hoping to gain the respect that they lack in their real life. Don't be fooled........This person is a sham. This person is not actually an attack dog, they are a timid house cat.
Troll
One who deliberately starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Gotti wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:I can't get Supersports on Startimes. Even if Startimes want to buy the rights to broadcast Supersports.

I think what he is alluding to is the fact that the EPL is exclusive to Supersports in Nigeria (Africa) and Supersports is ONLY available on DSTV. That is the monopoly.

Supersports can be exclusive to DSTV however the EPL rights should be exclusive to stations that aren't exclusive to one provider.

It's like the NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB/MLS only being available on Comcast (the provider) rather than NBC/CBS/FOX/ESPN/NFL Network/NBATV (the individual stations). Adelphia, DirectTV, Dish Network, Time Warner etc. will reject that.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
Gotti wrote:

That's how Nigerians are, they want everything for free. They expect a company to invest in Nigeria with all the infrastructure problems and bring topnotch service for a pittance.
Nah, they're not saying that it should be free. They're suggesting that if there is competition then the companies will be forced to offer incentives (including pricing) to attract a higher market share rather than just profit from monopoly.

What this means is that let's say for instance DSTV paid $100 million for EPL exclusivity (monopoly) in Nigeria then it should be changed such that they instead pay $30 million to acquire the rights, while other cable companies say Star Times also pay $30 million for the rights. Then that means prospective customers can either opt for DSTV or Star Times depending on other factors/criteria i.e. price, other channel options, picture/audio quality (HD/SD), Satellite dish or antenna preference, etc.

What this means now is that DSTV cannot just decide to increase the price without considering the risk of losing customers to Star Times. As it is the risk is minimized cos other companies don't have the EPL (which is the major attraction to cable TV).

The way it currently is is kind of like allowing only MTN to send data and voice while all other telcoms can only do voice. That creates an unfair advantage that can allow MTN to gouge its customers without fear of losing them. It means MTN has less incentive to improve quality and reduce price for as long as they're the only ones that can send text and data.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

juventuss wrote:I could not get SerieA on Time Warner for a long time because Time Warner did not carry BeinSports in my area and BeinSports was licensed for SerieA. They started carrying it but you had to buy a sports package..... How do our people expect these channels to pay for licensing ?? DSTV is not getting it for free
We are saying other providers (not stations) should also be able to get it and the price for the rights (paid to the EPL) is split between all the providers. The EPL doesn't care where the money comes from whether it's from one provider or from all combined as long as their overall price is met.

Then the end users can decide which cable provider to go with.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

EPL is on Metro Digital and CTL. Bein sports shows EPL matches live on Metro digital. Dstv is not forcing anybody to watch EPL on Super Sports.

You can decide to watch EPL on a much cheaper platform being Metro digital.

quote="theYemster"]
Gotti wrote:

I think what he is alluding to is the fact that the EPL is exclusive to Supersports in Nigeria (Africa) and Supersports is ONLY available on DSTV. That is the monopoly.

Supersports can be exclusive to DSTV however the EPL rights should be exclusive to stations that aren't exclusive to one provider.

It's like the NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB/MLS only being available on Comcast (the provider) rather than NBC/CBS/FOX/ESPN/NFL Network/NBATV (the individual stations). Adelphia, DirectTV, Dish Network, Time Warner etc. will reject that.[/quote]
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Gotti wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:It is not a complete monopoly you are right. But it prevents fair competition. The NASS was right to act. The new emphasis should be help local companies. EPL is not developed by DSTV. I don't get your point there. It is actually morally right to protect the Nigerian consumers from blackmail. People can't switch because they want to watch the EPL. This blackmail will never happen in the US, only in Nigeria. Even if it happens, multiple lawsuits would be filed against DSTV.
I realize that some Nigerians do not quite get it, but...
Watching the EPL is NOT an inalienable right (guaranteed by our constitution).

Of course, anyone can always go to the neighbourhood bar or viewing center to watch EPL without having to personally subscribe to DSTV. Nonetheless, t he saddest part of this discourse is that it is fundamentally underpinned by an undercurrent of xenophobia, because this so-called "monopoly" was not much of an issue when the exclusive rights to the EPL in Nigeria was held by the Nigerian Hi-TV (which charged astronomical rates for crappy fare and often horribly-blurred pictures - when the transmission itself was not interrupted). Abeg, let's quit kitty cat-footing and call a spade a spade.
Neither is texting or browsing the internet on your phone yet somehow all telecos are allowed to do so. They didn't give exclusive data rights to one telco and allow others to just do voice.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Yemster, gracias. You broke it down pretty well. I wonder why peeps keep lumping the channels/stations with the product e.g EPL. EPL should be available on as many channels or providers as possible, not just DSTV/Supersports alone. This will enable more subscribers to pay less and even the providers will pay less for the rights.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Purity wrote:EPL is on Metro Digital and CTL. Bein sports shows EPL matches live on Metro digital. Dstv is not forcing anybody to watch EPL on Super Sports.

quote="theYemster"]
Gotti wrote:

It's like the NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB/MLS only being available on Comcast (the provider) rather than NBC/CBS/FOX/ESPN/NFL Network/NBATV (the individual stations). Adelphia, DirectTV, Dish Network, Time Warner etc. will reject that.
[/quote]

You still cannot quote properly. Astigmatism?
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

anointed wrote:Yemster, gracias. You broke it down pretty well. I wonder why peeps keep lumping the channels/stations with the product e.g EPL. EPL should be available on as many channels or providers as possible, not just DSTV/Supersports alone. This will enable more subscribers to pay less and even the providers will pay less for the rights.
I can't imagine South Africa allowing a foreign (especially Nigerian) owned company to assume complete monopoly over a huge federal market. It's like the US allowing Al Jazeera own and exclusively control the entire NFL/NBA rights within the US whether or not they can afford to pay for the rights.

Even American owned company Microsoft was cut down to size by the government. Perhaps those arguing in favor of DSTV should read up the antitrust case against Microsoft. In that case MS actually even developed/owned the product (iexplorer) unlike DSTV which neither produces nor owns the EPL.

Going by Gotti's logic, using an internet browser isn't a constitutional right so all is fair. Right?

Just because you have the right to do so doesn't mean it is right to do so.
Last edited by theYemster on Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Thank God people don't think that because you make silly, outlandish statement; then that's the way every Nigerian posts. Where on earth did anyone talk about watching DSTV/EPL for free let alone every Nigerians. Oh, I forgot Wanaj0, Gotti, Kali etc et all who have different opinions are not Nigerians.

What is even wrong with me for taking you on after writing pedantic stuff like these:
Mr. Piffington wrote:Nigerian food is all the same with slightly different inputs here and there. Very uncreative. Nigerians are very unfeasible when it comes to taste in food
anointed wrote:
ANC wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote: Don't mind them. A lot of diaspora/educated Nigerians only deal with thier "class" but forget Nigeria is far bigger than the bracket they associate with. I do business in Naija and go back often nowadays and the amount of people that can't figure out basic things is appalling!
Really? Please do tell.... Give us some examples.
:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

What has quote got to do with simple logic.. The EPL is being aired on other channels outside Super sport. You can choose to watch on Metro or Dstv or occasionally on CTL.

anointed wrote:
Purity wrote:EPL is on Metro Digital and CTL. Bein sports shows EPL matches live on Metro digital. Dstv is not forcing anybody to watch EPL on Super Sports.

quote="theYemster"]
Gotti wrote:

You still cannot quote properly. Astigmatism?[/quote]