Reps pass bill to break monopoly of DSTV

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Is the cost of subscribing to watch football most especially EPL and, to a lesser extent, UCL about to come down? I say this cos take EPL out of DSTV, then 80-85% is off. Could this be further opportunity for Startimes who have been gaining ground in recent times? Could someone like Tinubu, as has been rumoured, cash in on this?

Posted By: Victor Oluwasegun and Dele Anofi, Abujaon: January 14, 2016In: News UpdateNo Comments
 Print Email

A bill meant to make broadcasting more competitive in the country was passed through second reading in the House of Representatives Thursday.

The bill sponsored by Chairman of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, Nnena Elendu- Ukeje is titled ” a bill for an Act to amend the National Broadcast Commission Act cap N11, laws of the federation of Nigeria, 2014, to provide for competition in Nigeria, promote efficiency and Expand opportunities for Nigerians’ participation in world markets while at the same time recognize the role of foreign completion in Nigeria, and for other matters related thereto.”

Elendu- Ukeje while speaking on the bill said it is meant to strengthen the National Broadcast Commission as an independent regulator.

According to her, the bill will also create room for competition through deregulation, liberalization, privatization, ensuring free market operation and also enforce penalty(s) to parties that go against the provisions of the law.

The piece of legislation, she said, will prevent price or rate fixing, price discrimination , restrictive exclusive content, abuse of dominant market position, and unconstitutional boycotting.

The proposed law, she said, is a remedy to the obvious lacuna in the NBC Act and strengthens the NBC as Nigeria has no set of codified laws that speaks to the subject matter.

Her words: “this is one sector that does not suffer from customer ignorance as this sector has been subject to motions/ petitions on the floor of parliament and litigations in the court of law.

“Justice Chukwujeku Aneke of the a federal High Court had on May 28th 2015 dismissed a suit against DSTV over increase in subscription fees as Nigeria is yet to have a codified set of rules promoting competition in that market.

“Competition laws exist under different names in different climes. From antitrust law in the US to anti monopoly laws in China and Russia, and Trade law in the UK and Australia, the underlying factor for these laws us consumer protection.”

According to her, Fourth Schedule, Section 39(1) of the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria states expressly that every person shall be entitled to own, establish and operate any medium for the dissemination of information.

She said the institution went further in Section 16(2c) that “the state shall direct its policy towards ensuring that the economic system is not operated in such a manner as to permit the concentration of wealth or the means of production and exchange in the hands of few individuals or groups.

“The intendment of these two provisions is that by liberalizing communication and media, that the sector be competitive in line with our economic policies.”

The bill passed through second reading without debate when the Speaker, Hon. Yakubu Dogara called for a voice vote.
http://thenationonlineng.net/reps-pass- ... y-of-dstv/
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Reps pass bill to break monopoly of DSTV

Post by ohenhen1 »

Good development.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
rasak74
Egg
Egg

Post by rasak74 »

Breaking the monopoly is fine with me but what other options do we have? Is HiTv still around self?
Internet gangster
Uses the internet as a front for acting like a tough guy gang member, usually because they are hoping to gain the respect that they lack in their real life. Don't be fooled........This person is a sham. This person is not actually an attack dog, they are a timid house cat.
Troll
One who deliberately starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

The bill ONLY passed second reading.

There is no MONOPOLY in pay TV in Nigeria.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

wanaj0 wrote:The bill ONLY passed second reading.

I tire O!

There is MyTV, the Chinese/NTA one (Startimes), and Tinubu's own (ACTV or so). I know there are others, because when I go to Kano and other places in the North, you see some interesting channels and cable services in the hotels.

They can have waivers & incentives that promote new entrants or that compel the dominant player to channel resources towards key areas though.

The whole cable TV industry is changing globally anyway
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I can't get Supersports on Startimes. Even if Startimes want to buy the rights to broadcast Supersports.

Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

That my broda, na de koko of de mata!

People wan watch EPL without paying dstv!

Cmoke :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
ohenhen1 wrote:I can't get Supersports on Startimes. Even if Startimes want to buy the rights to broadcast Supersports.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Please help me educate these folks over-and-over again...
Daar, StarTimes/NTA, TVC (Tinubu), among several others, each hold Pay-TV licenses.

Sadly though we have largely become a nation of free-loading rent-seekers. So, while Daar was busy collecting free cash from PDP and Dasuki (and presumably TVC from APC and Tinubu) to show silly things like the "innaugration" (perhaps the most misused word among whjat passes for the press here in Nigeria) of yet another Government House chapel or mosque or any First Lady's distribution of rice, those who put hard work, some actual thought and hard currency (at an autonomous rate that has gone from N168/$1 to about N260/$1 in just over a year) into bringing top quality global programming to Nigerian homes are being penalized and hounded by freeloading carpetbaggers.
Last edited by Gotti on Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

ohenhen1 wrote:I can't get Supersports on Startimes. Even if Startimes want to buy the rights to broadcast Supersports.
Duh! :shock:

Supersports is part of the Multichoice-DSTV pay-TV group...
So why exactly do you think that you can get it in a COMPETING Pay-TV channel?!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

This is like Directv in the US telling people they can't watch the NFL because they don't have the NFL sunday ticket through them. If you are a Comcast customer you can't watch the NFL. The current system in Nigeria is wrong. it will prevent other companies from growing, it doesn't promote competition. Good move by the House of reps. Hopefully it scales through the Senate. The Senate is not serious.

juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

I could not get SerieA on Time Warner for a long time because Time Warner did not carry BeinSports in my area and BeinSports was licensed for SerieA. They started carrying it but you had to buy a sports package..... How do our people expect these channels to pay for licensing ?? DSTV is not getting it for free
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

juventuss wrote:I could not get SerieA on Time Warner for a long time because Time Warner did not carry BeinSports in my area and BeinSports was licensed for SerieA. They started carrying it but you had to buy a sports package..... How do our people expect these channels to pay for licensing ?? DSTV is not getting it for free
That is the choice of Time Warner. If Time warner wanted to buy the rights to carry Beinsport nothing is stopping them. In Nigeria companies like Consat or Startimes can't get supersports even if they want to buy the rights from DSTV to carry Supersports. DSTV can pay for the licensing fee by charging Consat or Startimes a fee to carry Supersports. But they will not do that. They know that once other companies carry super sports. They will lose a lot of customers.

juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

ohenhen1 wrote:
juventuss wrote:I could not get SerieA on Time Warner for a long time because Time Warner did not carry BeinSports in my area and BeinSports was licensed for SerieA. They started carrying it but you had to buy a sports package..... How do our people expect these channels to pay for licensing ?? DSTV is not getting it for free
That is the choice of Time Warner. If Time warner wanted to buy the rights to carry Beinsport nothing is stopping them. In Nigeria companies like Consat or Startimes can't get supersports even if they want to buy the rights from DSTV to carry Supersports. DSTV can pay for the licensing fee by charging Consat or Startimes a fee to carry Supersports. But they will not do that. They know that once other companies carry super sports. They will lose a lot of customers.
So when it is time to rebid, Consat and co can raise funds to buy the rights right ?
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

juventuss wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
So when it is time to rebid, Consat and co can raise funds to buy the rights right ?
DSTV will pay more to hold onto the exclusive rights. Consat customers can't watch the EPL. This will not be allowed in the US. They will be forced to allow other companies to carry Supersport.

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

ohenhen1 wrote:That is the choice of Time Warner. If Time warner wanted to buy the rights to carry Beinsport nothing is stopping them. In Nigeria companies like Consat or Startimes can't get supersports even if they want to buy the rights from DSTV to carry Supersports. DSTV can pay for the licensing fee by charging Consat or Startimes a fee to carry Supersports. But they will not do that. They know that once other companies carry super sports. They will lose a lot of customers.
Abeg quit persisting in the ignorance...
Supersports is a SUBSIDIARY of Multichoice-DSTV.

The nonesense you are spouting is akin to asking that ABC or CBS be allowed to "buy the rights" to carry Olympic programking on MSNBC or other NBC affiliates during the Olympics. If StarTimes wants to show the programming that is currently on SuperSports, it should BID for them from source! The silly notion of biding for programming and then being forced to share same with your COMPETITORS can only make sense in the Ohenhen School of Free-Loading Economics.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Gotti wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:That is the choice of Time Warner. If Time warner wanted to buy the rights to carry Beinsport nothing is stopping them. In Nigeria companies like Consat or Startimes can't get supersports even if they want to buy the rights from DSTV to carry Supersports. DSTV can pay for the licensing fee by charging Consat or Startimes a fee to carry Supersports. But they will not do that. They know that once other companies carry super sports. They will lose a lot of customers.
Abeg quit persisting in the ignorance...
Supersports is a PART of the DSTV system.

The nonesense you are spouting is akin to asking that ABC or CBS be allowed to "buy the rights" to carry Olympic programking on MSNBC or other NBC affiliates during the Olympics. If StarTimes wants to show the programming that is currently on SuperSports, it should BID for them from source!
Fox is owned by Directv or used to. It is like telling Comcast they can't carry Fox even if they want to pay for the channel.

Startimes should be allowed to pay for the rights to carry Supersports. Supersports do offer other programs apart from the EPL.
NBCsports got the exclusive rights for the EPL in America. All the major carriers carry NBCsports. One company is not allowed to corner the market.

Super Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by Super Eagle »

Yes, there is. A cable provider should not have the right to monopolize some channels. Here in the US, you can get any channel simply by selecting the package....that has nothing to do with the cable provider you decide to go with. For instance, I used to have comcast then moved from Comcast to Verizon Fios a couple of years ago but I am still able to watch all my fave channels: NBCSN, BeinSports, FOX Sports, Tennis Channel, ESPN etc.

Hence, in Nigeria companies like Consat or Startimes should reserve the rights to get supersports, if they chose to do so. That's what this bill is all about.

O pari
Note to: Emir Kongi, big porkey, and smartbrother: Don't talk unless you can improve the silence. (c)
www.awooze.com

#BringBackOurGirls
Hashtag #KeshiDonHammer
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Super Eagle wrote:

Yes, there is. A cable provider should not have the right to monopolize some channels. Here in the US, you can get any channel simply by selecting the package....that has nothing to do with the cable provider you decide to go with. For instance, I used to have comcast then moved from Comcast to Verizon Fios a couple of years ago but I am still able to watch all my fave channels: NBCSN, BeinSports, FOX Sports, Tennis Channel, ESPN etc.

Hence, in Nigeria companies like Consat or Startimes should reserve the rights to get supersports, if they chose to do so. That's what this bill is all about.

O pari
Abeg, can you folks quit with this ignorant nonsense...
SS is OWNED by Multichoice, which broadcasts through DSTV.

SS is NOT an independent channel or broadcaster...
Like BeIN Sports or Fox Sports is to Comcast or Verizon.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

ohenhen1 wrote:Fox is owned by Directv or used to. It is like telling Comcast they can't carry Fox even if they want to pay for the channel.

Startimes should be allowed to pay for the rights to carry Supersports. Supersports do offer other programs apart from the EPL.
NBCsports got the exclusive rights for the EPL in America. All the major carriers carry NBCsports. One company is not allowed to corner the market.
It is NOT and never was...
Fox is an independent broadcaster and subsidiary of the News Corporation!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

And while at it...
Perhaps, we should also force Channels TV to sell its 'Sports Tonight' to AIT and NTA. :oops:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Super Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by Super Eagle »

Gotti wrote:
Super Eagle wrote:

O pari
Abeg, can you folks quit with this ignorant nonsense...
SS is OWNED by Multichoice, which broadcasts through DSTV.

SS is NOT an independent channel or broadcaster...
Like BeIN Sports or Fox Sports is to Comcast or Verizon.
Gotti, are you sure that you don't own DSTV stock or something? You're definitely going overboard to defend this monopoly.

Listen, I am quite sure you know that all NBC channels in the United States are owned by COMCAST. Now should Comcast then ban Time Warner, Verizon, COX etc from carrying these NBC channels?
Note to: Emir Kongi, big porkey, and smartbrother: Don't talk unless you can improve the silence. (c)
www.awooze.com

#BringBackOurGirls
Hashtag #KeshiDonHammer
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Super Eagle wrote:Gotti, are you sure that you don't own DSTV stock or something? You're definitely going overboard to defend this monopoly.

Listen, I am quite sure you know that all NBC channels in the United States are owned by COMCAST. Now should Comcast then ban Time Warner, Verizon, COX etc from carrying these NBC channels?
First, you need to find out what a "monopoly" is... :oops:

Nonetheless, just like HiTV had Hi-Sports, Hi-Nolly, and so forth, SS are merely channels of DSTV rather than an independent broadcaster (on the other hand, NBC is an independent broadcaster acquired by Comcast - apples and oranges). So, while programming on independent broadcasters like MTV are aired on more than one outlet in Nigeria (including on DSTV), it would be commercially and morally wrong to compel DSTV to effectively develop programming for their COMPETITORS. Of course, if it voluntarily opts to sell its programming, that's it's own commercial right and privilege.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Gotti wrote:
Super Eagle wrote:Gotti, are you sure that you don't own DSTV stock or something? You're definitely going overboard to defend this monopoly.

First, you need to find out what a "monopoly" is... :oops:

Nonetheless, just like HiTV had Hi-Sports, Hi-Nolly, and so forth, SS are merely channels of DSTV rather than an independent broadcaster (on the other hand, NBC is an independent broadcaster acquired by Comcast - apples and oranges). So, while programming on independent broadcasters like MTV are aired on more than one outlet in Nigeria (including on DSTV), it would be commercially and morally wrong to compel DSTV to effectively develop programming for their COMPETITORS. Of course, if it voluntarily opts to sell its programming, that's it's own commercial right and privilege.
It is not a complete monopoly you are right. But it prevents fair competition. The NASS was right to act. The new emphasis should be help local companies. EPL is not developed by DSTV. I don't get your point there. It is actually morally right to protect the Nigerian consumers from blackmail. People can't switch because they want to watch the EPL. This blackmail will never happen in the US, only in Nigeria. Even if it happens, multiple lawsuits would be filed against DSTV.
Last edited by ohenhen1 on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.