23 yrs later, I'm still dizzy. -Oliver Kahn on Jay Jay

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: 23 yrs later, I'm still dizzy. -Oliver Kahn on Jay Jay

Post by Waffiman »

PapaK wrote:
felarey wrote:
From a renowned zimbabwean journalist....
"There are very few african soccer stars who at their peak of their european careers have fruitfully toiled the african fields. With all due respect to their hitherto godly reputation , I would like to remind all of the likes of George Weah , Tony Yeboah , Samuel Kuffour and Shabani Nonda who suffered or face such tragedy. Remember AFCON 96 where Weah and Yeboah failed to fit the billing . They had accumulated so many accolades in europe to such an extent that they were a must see...alas....up to now I still contend they owe us refunds. As fans based in the mother continent certainly we deserve a good part of their superflous exhibitions. It's almost as if they switch off once the Greenback disappears. What a shame ! At least last weekend I finally got my money's worth. I met the midfield magician called OKOCHA. Yes I squeezed into the packed stadium (like sardines) in Harare and saw OKOCHA doing a thorough job on ZIM. It was a one man show . He displayed all sort of assortments from his depthless bag - he had so many tsamayas alone , I counted about 4 different varieties , not to mention the back heels , the show-me-your-number z, shona-pansi z ,the dangling carrot z , the shiboboz and others which were nameless due to their originality.How he squeezed-in the whole act in only 90mins was puzzling. So stunning was his magic and imagination that by the time Peter Ndlovu , Nengomasha , Nyandoro et al woke up he had LEFT THE BUILDING! "
Nothing more to be said...
Damn! I remember this quote :D :D :D :D :D :D those were the days
I remember myself. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Also remember a poor radio commentator losing his job for his commentary which was deemed too pro Jay Jay and against the national interest.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Guys, let's minimize the exaggerated stories please. I am a Nigerian and to the best of my knowledge we have only 3 ANCs ...one during CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC's era, the second during Keshi's era in which someone (name withheld for sake of national peace) played minimal role, and the third that Yobo singlehandedly won for us. :thumbs:
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

1naija wrote:Guys, let's minimize the exaggerated stories please. I am a Nigerian and to the best of my knowledge we have only 3 ANCs ...one during CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC's era, the second during Keshi's era in which someone (name withheld for sake of national peace) played minimal role, and the third that Yobo singlehandedly won for us. :thumbs:
Lol, the same Yobo that became a sub after the first game? This guy sef :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:Guys, let's minimize the exaggerated stories please. I am a Nigerian and to the best of my knowledge we have only 3 ANCs ...one during CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC's era, the second during Keshi's era in which someone (name withheld for sake of national peace) played minimal role, and the third that Yobo singlehandedly won for us. :thumbs:
Lol, the same Yobo that became a sub after the first game? This guy sef :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
The next time we started Yobo in a tournament (which was done so he could reach 100 caps), he scored an own goal justifying that decision.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

100%Naija wrote:Jay Jay was good but Kanu was better....sha..... :sneaky:

Not in a million years! :roll:
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

felarey wrote: I see you plefer yeh bredas.....
From a renowned zimbabwean journalist....

"There are very few african soccer stars who at their peak of their european careers have fruitfully toiled the african fields. With all due respect to their hitherto godly reputation , I would like to remind all of the likes of George Weah , Tony Yeboah , Samuel Kuffour and Shabani Nonda who suffered or face such tragedy. Remember AFCON 96 where Weah and Yeboah failed to fit the billing . They had accumulated so many accolades in europe to such an extent that they were a must see...alas....up to now I still contend they owe us refunds. As fans based in the mother continent certainly we deserve a good part of their superflous exhibitions. It's almost as if they switch off once the Greenback disappears. What a shame ! At least last weekend I finally got my money's worth. I met the midfield magician called OKOCHA. Yes I squeezed into the packed stadium (like sardines) in Harare and saw OKOCHA doing a thorough job on ZIM. It was a one man show . He displayed all sort of assortments from his depthless bag - he had so many tsamayas alone , I counted about 4 different varieties , not to mention the back heels , the show-me-your-number z, shona-pansi z ,the dangling carrot z , the shiboboz and others which were nameless due to their originality.How he squeezed-in the whole act in only 90mins was puzzling. So stunning was his magic and imagination that by the time Peter Ndlovu , Nengomasha , Nyandoro et al woke up he had LEFT THE BUILDING! "
Nothing more to be said...
I think this was penned by a fellow boozer like me, well put :laugh:
When Nigeria was in town at that time all everyone wanted to watch was Okocha, to see him live.
I regret that I did not see Okocha live, the only other player i regret is Ronaldinho.
Nigeria please alert me when you finally produce another player like Okocha :thumbs:
goldenera94
Egg
Egg

Post by goldenera94 »

Good POV, I've always thought with enormous talent JJ possessed, Nigeria should've competed in a worldcup semi final at the minimum.

Akingbade wrote:Two things.

Jay Jay's acceleration when Frankfurt broke forward was phenomenal. No wonder he was first played as a winger by Westerhof against the Ivory Coast. He is lucky he did not end up like Pius Ikedia. Any other coach would have kept him on the right wing.

Oliver Khan almost saved the final shot, in spite of the dizziness. Lesson? While the goal is most certainly a collector's item, it might have never been in the first place.

In many ways, it is a goal that aptly describes Jay Jay; phenomenal talent but more of an entertainer than a destroyer of teams. Imagine fellow midfielders at that time with the same chance; Carlos Valderrama, Rai, Balakov, Thomas Hassler, Stefan Effenberg... They would have buried the ball the first time.

This is taking nothing away from Jay Jay but he achieved far less than he should have. He was Maradona and Zidane rolled into one but he achieved even less than Geremi Njitap... :cry:
Goldenera94
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

It was a one man show . He displayed all sort of assortments from his depthless bag - he had so many tsamayas alone , I counted about 4 different varieties , not to mention the back heels , the show-me-your-number z, shona-pansi z ,the dangling carrot z , the shiboboz and others which were nameless due to their originality.How he squeezed-in the whole act in only 90mins was puzzling. So stunning was his magic and imagination that by the time Peter Ndlovu , Nengomasha , Nyandoro et al woke up he had LEFT THE BUILDING!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I remember this match and the quote. Very funny, the man must have watched the match with his mouth wide open.
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Oh lawd! This thread still exists?
Last edited by 1naija on Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

100%Naija wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:15 am Jay Jay was good but Kanu was better....sha..... :sneaky:
It’s OK to be delusional. Why else do we have clinical psychologists❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Akingbade wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:01 am Two things.

Jay Jay's acceleration when Frankfurt broke forward was phenomenal. No wonder he was first played as a winger by Westerhof against the Ivory Coast. He is lucky he did not end up like Pius Ikedia. Any other coach would have kept him on the right wing.
Mentioning Okocha and Ikedia in the same breath exposes your true, questionable motives.

Oliver Khan almost saved the final shot, in spite of the dizziness. Lesson? While the goal is most certainly a collector's item, it might have never been in the first place.
Almost saved the final shot? Dude, the ball was already in the net before Oliver Khan even turned towards it but I suppose you have to belive tha was true in order to support your narrative.

In many ways, it is a goal that aptly describes Jay Jay; phenomenal talent but more of an entertainer than a destroyer of teams. Imagine fellow midfielders at that time with the same chance; Carlos Valderrama, Rai, Balakov, Thomas Hassler, Stefan Effenberg... They would have buried the ball the first time.
Carlos who? Who? Who? Thomas who? When was the last time you read about Stefan Effenberg in any media? My friend, There’s a very good reason why Jay Jay Okocha is still talked about 15 years after his retirement

This is taking nothing away from Jay Jay but he achieved far less than he should have. He was Maradona and Zidane rolled into one but he achieved even less than Geremi Njitap... :cry:
Wow, the mother of all contradictions. It is pretty remarkable that you find the time to ruminate about what a millionaire retired football player achieved or didn’t achieve.
Pretentious people get found out quite easily by their very own musings🤔❗️

Cheers.
100%Naija
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 100%Naija »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:49 pm
100%Naija wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:15 am Jay Jay was good but Kanu was better....sha..... :sneaky:
It’s OK to be delusional. Why else do we have clinical psychologists❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
Tony this boosu and nkita eater! Calm down, we are all entitled to our opinion. Kan-U-Believe-it will always rank higher than JayJay in my book. No amount of PMS induced rage on your part will change that...ever... Kwenu :taunt:
I'm the biggest boss that you've seen thus far, Reppin' PH & NGR to the Fullest
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158494
Babafad wrote: My brother, dis money go scatter akara for inside oil. Just dey watch!
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:17 pm
Akingbade wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:01 am Two things.

Mentioning Okocha and Ikedia in the same breath exposes your true, questionable motives.

Almost saved the final shot? Dude, the ball was already in the net before Oliver Khan even turned towards it but I suppose you have to belive tha was true in order to support your narrative.

Carlos who? Who? Who? Thomas who? When was the last time you read about Stefan Effenberg in any media? My friend, There’s a very good reason why Jay Jay Okocha is still talked about 15 years after his retirement

Wow, the mother of all contradictions. It is pretty remarkable that you find the time to ruminate about what a millionaire retired football player achieved or didn’t achieve.
Pretentious people get found out quite easily by their very own musings🤔❗️

Cheers.
No, actually Kahn had recovered his footing and, although unlikely, still made an attempt to save the final shot. Go check the video again. Okocha cut two other defenders in front of goal after he initially beat Kahn, so Oliver had a little bit of time to get back into position.