Rohr on Enyeama's return

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rohr on Enyeama's return

Post by Enugu II »

Odas wrote:
fabio wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Its a Goal wrote:
[color=brown]deanotito[/color] wrote: After 100+ caps though, I think Vince is allowed to set such terms
Too much mileage if you think about it. Best to start looking to the future.
Initially thought so too, but Rohr makes a good point. We'll need high quality keepers if we qualify

In the keeper department, precious little Rohr can do but hope and pray. We need good European clubs to take some of the young talent we have and develop them for us...that's not easy in the keeping dept. Euro clubs don't trust our keepers
R
Time to move on.... The two remaining goalkeepers should get WC experience as well. Let's not forget, Vincent got his debut (If I am right) in the WC against England.
Yep! You are right that was the game he got his experience with Chief Onigbinde as the coach.
That is actually wrong even though it has been repeated often in the Naija media. Vincent made his first appearance for Nigeria against Kenya in an international friendly prior to the World Cup. He also appeared in another international friendly v Jamaica before that England game.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote: That is actually wrong even though it has been repeated often in the Naija media. Vincent made his first appearance for Nigeria against Kenya in an international friendly prior to the World Cup. He also appeared in another international friendly v Jamaica before that England game.
Encyclopedia II:
You are right about Kenya (a 3-0 victory captained by Oruma)...
But incorrect about the Jamaica game - a 1-0 victory at Loftus Road, with Ike Shorunmu was in goal.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

platinum wrote:He should be allowed to return if we qualify for the world cup. We'll need the quality. However, he should understand that he'll be #2 behind the man who took us there. If he can't accept that, he shouldn't be allowed in.
Kpom
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

There should be concern for team chemistry and unity on the field and outside of it as that can severely affect player psychology. IMO, Vincent should be introduced back in the team with outmost care. Bringing him in for the World Cup could be a disaster assuming that we actually qualify for the World Cup. I just don't like changes just before the World Cup as it can severely affect a team. I prefer a settled team going in.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

I am a proponent of Vincent returning, but it has to be done in aa manner that will not disrupt the team. I will prefer he returns against Algeria
and play with the team, rather than just show up for the World Cup. Frankly, a return against Algeria in Uyo, in his home state and where he attended university and started his professional career will be the perfect setting for an emotional and well - deserved return.
Also, with Emenike still pulling his weight with Fernebache, I believe he should return too. His sheer power and will is hard to replace and will give Algeria and Cameroon fits.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Our best players in June 2018 should play at the WC if we qualify. The coach at the time will have a leeway to chose his team. We fans and players need to understand that the national team is all about what you can do today, no sentiments. You go there to take your chance and give your best. It's sentiments that lead to mafia like tendencies. We're in a situation where players with no business playing international footy are being called cos of lack of better options and some are getting by just playing for Nigeria with no club form to show for it.

Enyeama can do whatever he wants and probably should be in the team but he should apologize for being a bonehead that led to non qualification for two ANCs.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

felarey wrote:Our best players in June 2018 should play at the WC if we qualify. The coach at the time will have a leeway to chose his team. We fans and players need to understand that the national team is all about what you can do today, no sentiments. You go there to take your chance and give your best. It's sentiments that lead to mafia like tendencies. We're in a situation where players with no business playing international footy are being called cos of lack of better options and some are getting by just playing for Nigeria with no club form to show for it.

Enyeama can do whatever he wants and probably should be in the team but he should apologize for being a bonehead that led to non qualification for two ANCs.
For me, Enyeama should not be recalled. He is going to be a problem in the team and in reality, will he accept to be on the bench (second to Ikeme)?. Like someone already said, if he must return, he should return now, not after we have qualified for the World Cup - if we do.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Obong wrote:I am a proponent of Vincent returning, but it has to be done in aa manner that will not disrupt the team. I will prefer he returns against Algeria
and play with the team, rather than just show up for the World Cup. Frankly, a return against Algeria in Uyo, in his home state and where he attended university and started his professional career will be the perfect setting for an emotional and well - deserved return.
Also, with Emenike still pulling his weight with Fernebache, I believe he should return too. His sheer power and will is hard to replace and will give Algeria and Cameroon fits.
If we really must have a power striker in our armoury, I would rather go for Aaron Samuel who at 6'2'' is tall and both powerful and pretty skilful. He has impressed in his brief spells with the SE in the past, scoring a couple of neat goals. At 22, he is also much younger.
However, he is recovering from knee surgery at the moment and probably won't be back to his best until early next year
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Obong wrote:I am a proponent of Vincent returning, but it has to be done in aa manner that will not disrupt the team. I will prefer he returns against Algeria
I have no problems with Vince returning, but your post is contradictory. Your suggestion is the exactly what disruption sounds like.

Meanwhile, I may storm Uyo for the match if I am in Nigeria next month. If that is the case, I will be expecting local tips & advice from you.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Cellular wrote:
mapet wrote:If he cannot return now, he better forget it
I like what the coach is saying.

Moreover, Vincent Enyeama is the BEST goalie in all of Africa. At a point last year he was top 10 if not top 5 in the world.

It is nice to have a 1A and 1B option in the goalie position and other positions. That way we won't be on pins and needles should someone go down due to injury or loss of form.
This is what happens when you in know only one goalkeeper.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Gotti wrote:
Enugu II wrote: That is actually wrong even though it has been repeated often in the Naija media. Vincent made his first appearance for Nigeria against Kenya in an international friendly prior to the World Cup. He also appeared in another international friendly v Jamaica before that England game.
Encyclopedia II:
You are right about Kenya (a 3-0 victory captained by Oruma)...
But incorrect about the Jamaica game - a 1-0 victory at Loftus Road, with Ike Shorunmu was in goal.
Gotti,

Enyeama played in both games before the England game. Here is the full lineup for that Jamaican game:
Ike Shorunmu (1) (cpt) (46th Vincent Enyeama (12)) – Efetobore Sodje (16), Taribo West (6), Eric Ejiofor (19), Ifeanyi Udeze (13) – Pius Ikedia (11), Justice Christopher (15), James Obiora (7) (80th Mutiu Adepoju (8)) – Emeka Ugali (28) (35th Benedict Akwuegbu (14)) Yakubu Aiyegbeni (27) (69th Garba Lawal (17)), Bartholomew Ogbeche (9).
See also our own discussions on CE pertaining to that game:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49068&view=next

See also:

http://www.11v11.com/matches/nigeria-v- ... 02-249320/

See also BBC live text commentary on the match:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup20 ... 995607.stm
Olayemi14
Egg
Egg

Post by Olayemi14 »

It should be left to the team. If we have a decent back up for WC, he should not be recalled. If we do not, he can be called but his position should be on the bench. I love him to death but it should be team chemistry over the individual.

Regardless, we need to first qualify for 2018. Siddon look in place.
Active member of the JOM & JM Fan Clubs. Baba Eleran of Chelsea FC.
rasak74
Egg
Egg

Post by rasak74 »

I shake my head at Rohr if this story is true, So others should work while Enyeama is enjoying his retirement?
Internet gangster
Uses the internet as a front for acting like a tough guy gang member, usually because they are hoping to gain the respect that they lack in their real life. Don't be fooled........This person is a sham. This person is not actually an attack dog, they are a timid house cat.
Troll
One who deliberately starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Nigeria 1 step forward, 2 steps backward. Enyeama should stay retired. Ikeme is the # 1 goalkeeper.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

bret- hart wrote:Nigeria 1 step forward, 2 steps backward. Enyeama should stay retired. Ikeme is the # 1 goalkeeper.
No one is saying he should come take his #1 spot back. Rohr is simply stating that we need at least 2 World Class goalies. And Vince and Ikeme are the only ones that fit that bill.

On a related note, its been a torrid season for Vince and Lille. They've been chopping goals all over the place, and for the last 4-5 seasons, have fashioned themselves as a defensive team. So they don't have any offensive response
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
rasak74
Egg
Egg

Post by rasak74 »

deanotito wrote:
bret- hart wrote:Nigeria 1 step forward, 2 steps backward. Enyeama should stay retired. Ikeme is the # 1 goalkeeper.
No one is saying he should come take his #1 spot back. Rohr is simply stating that we need at least 2 World Class goalies. And Vince and Ikeme are the only ones that fit that bill.

On a related note, its been a torrid season for Vince and Lille. They've been chopping goals all over the place, and for the last 4-5 seasons, have fashioned themselves as a defensive team. So they don't have any offensive response
So you think they would allow Ikeme to bench enyeama?
Internet gangster
Uses the internet as a front for acting like a tough guy gang member, usually because they are hoping to gain the respect that they lack in their real life. Don't be fooled........This person is a sham. This person is not actually an attack dog, they are a timid house cat.
Troll
One who deliberately starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

rasak74 wrote:
deanotito wrote:

So you think they would allow Ikeme to bench enyeama?
Well, it has happened before...Even though I would agree that the chances of Enyeama taking his #1 spot back are probably 55-60%. No more than that though. I am personally very impressed with Ikeme, and though he wouldn't have been able to stop Messi's barrage like Enyeama did twice, on some points, I think he's a more gifted player than Enyeama.

Its hard to argue with Rohr's logic. Keepers age well, and if Enyeama is still a top quality goalie in 2018, why shouldn't we try to take advantage of that? Especially if there are still only 2 Nigerian goalies in europe by that time. If Daniel, Ezenwa, Alampasu or another steps up and gets a good club and playing time, it will change the calculus, yes.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Vincent is needed in the team. But there has to be no ambiguity from the coach about who the first choice goalkeeper is. Ikeme has earned every right to be the first choice goalkeeper. We are blessed to have two top goalkeepers that are first choice keepers in their own right. We should have our best players in the team, period.

The Dallas Cowboys are in similar position now. Tony Romo is a first team quarterback, but no one can question the choice of Dak Prescott as the starting quarterback now, even after Romo returns. That's if he continue with his current form.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Wow.peeps Have Nigeria qualified yet? :rotf:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote:Vincent is needed in the team. But there has to be no ambiguity from the coach about who the first choice goalkeeper is. Ikeme has earned every right to be the first choice goalkeeper. We are blessed to have two top goalkeepers that are first choice keepers in their own right. We should have our best players in the team, period.

The Dallas Cowboys are in similar position now. Tony Romo is a first team quarterback, but no one can question the choice of Dak Prescott as the starting quarterback now, even after Romo returns. That's if he continue with his current form.
Forget about Romo, that back injury will never make him get to his potential
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Robotnik wrote:Wow.peeps Have Nigeria qualified yet? :rotf:
shocking , since the Zambian game, these folks here done dey run dem mouth... same team wey miss two AFCONs :lol:that is why that tfco comes here and yawa us
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I like Rohr, more and more, there is no sentiments about his team selection. Have we quickly forgotten what happened in France'98 when we had an out of form Rufai in goal and could not replace him with either of the reserve keepers, Baruwa and Opara, because of their lack of experience. Ikeme and Enyeama should be left to fight for the number one spot if we qualify for the WC. There is nothing like monkey work, baboon chop in football, only the best go to the mundial, any other argument is based on sentiments.
I am happy
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Enyeama returns, Ikeme goes to the bench. Simple. As my boys in Gidi would say, "Na levels"!
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"