The untouchables..the 33 the best ever

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The untouchables..the 33 the best ever

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

A topic like this one was bound to generate a million and one different opinions but I totally stand by my best XI. I would never dream of picking an all time Nigeria first eleven that didn't include Henry Nwosu. He was simply the best athlete that's ever played at that position for Nigeria :!:

Cheers.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Dammy wrote:My XI

1. Enyeama
2. Okpalla
3. Shofoluwe
4. Mikel
5. Keshi
6. Chukwu
7. Finidi
8. Okocha
9. Yekini
10. Kanu
11. Amunike
So Mikel will play 4 for you? Interesting
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

1. Enyeama
2. Okpalla
3. Shofoluwe
4. Mikel
5. Keshi
6. Chukwu
7. Finidi
8. Okocha
9. Yekini
10. Kanu
11. Amunike
:shock: :shock: :scared:

No Patrick Olusegun Odegbami? The whole of Nigeria will not even allow an injured and unfit Segun Odegbami to be excused from the SE in 1981. Pls read up on your history if you were not there. The pressure and expectation levels on John Obi Mikel today cannot even be compared on that on Odegbami in the late 70s/early 80s. In my opinion, Odegbami is the greatest player to ever wear the GWG.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Dammy wrote:
oloye wrote:

1. Enyeama
2. Okpalla
3. Shofoluwe
4. Mikel
5. Keshi
6. Chukwu
7. Finidi
8. Okocha
9. Yekini
10. Kanu
11. Amunike
Quick question ,what did Kanu win with eagles or how many goals did he score for eagles to make him deserve a shirt over odegbami...let me see his arsenal exploits or may be u23.

The name Kanu is big,but of we are looking at anu data, no way should names like odegbami be missing.
Kanu played at a higher level than Odegbami. It is really unfair to compare those who played in Europe to those who did not. No one knows what the likes of Chukwu, Odegbami or Muda Lawal would have achieved if they played at the highest level i.e. Europe.
And what did that higher do for the GWG? Sometimes i think we love to muddle things up. Yes he played at higher level, but we are talking about SE or GE...what did he do for SE?
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Kako wrote:
Ezesportsworld wrote:Still on Chairman, I saw Keshi beaten severally but Chukwu was the last man standing anytime in Green Eagles defence...
I am a big fan of Christian Chukwu,but Godwin Odiye was always the last man in Green Eagles defence.
Hence the nickname "last man Odiye" :)
Only if you've been "watching" the matches on the radio :mrgreen: :!:

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

oloye wrote:
Dammy wrote:
oloye wrote:

1. Enyeama
2. Okpalla
3. Shofoluwe
4. Mikel
5. Keshi
6. Chukwu
7. Finidi
8. Okocha
9. Yekini
10. Kanu
11. Amunike
Quick question ,what did Kanu win with eagles or how many goals did he score for eagles to make him deserve a shirt over odegbami...let me see his arsenal exploits or may be u23.

The name Kanu is big,but of we are looking at anu data, no way should names like odegbami be missing.
Kanu played at a higher level than Odegbami. It is really unfair to compare those who played in Europe to those who did not. No one knows what the likes of Chukwu, Odegbami or Muda Lawal would have achieved if they played at the highest level i.e. Europe.
And what did that higher do for the GWG? Sometimes i think we love to muddle things up. Yes he played at higher level, but we are talking about SE or GE...what did he do for SE?
TBH, the only reason Kanu's name is considered is because he won AFOY. If not, Kanu's minutes for the SE was in neighborhood of 60 minutes or so indicating that he was often substituted when playing for Nigeria. And somehow he should be ranked ahead of Odegbami that the entire nation depended on ?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Sofoluwe over Isima? I don't think so :!: :!: :!:

Cheers.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Finidi or Odegbami, who was the greatest?
I am happy
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Kanu above Odegbami? MUHAHAHAHAHA!
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote:Finidi or Odegbami, who was the greatest?
Great question. As a wide forward, I would take Odegbami but reality was that Finidi mostly played wide midfield for Nigeria which Odegbami did not.Thus, formation will likely dictate.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:
Dammy wrote:Finidi or Odegbami, who was the greatest?
Great question. As a wide forward, I would take Odegbami but reality was that Finidi mostly played wide midfield for Nigeria which Odegbami did not.Thus, formation will likely dictate.
Dammy's list is one of the best I have seen. Finidi will start. Chief Sege will also start. Finidi is so versatile that he can play virtually any position on the pitch aside from goalie.

I will drop Kanu to the bench where he belongs and give Chief Sege the shirt. Have him play his favorite position and move Finidi to midfield. But I have to say, Dammy was spot on with his choices.

Ps., I was never a fan of having JJ and Kanu on the pitch at the same time.
Pps., One of my all time favorite Naija players was Muda Lawal. Bobo was a midfielder extraordinaire and at a point played emergency 9 and did so effectively. Just loved his "to-me-to-you" ball... and was so selfless. Kai. What a player. May his soul rest in peace.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Workman
Egg
Egg

Post by Workman »

I would need to use the emerging trend of 3-4-3 to list my top 11 ever.

Keeper - Enyeama

Defense - Keshi, Chukwu, Okechukwu

Mid - Finidi, Mikel, Kanu, Okocha

Forward - Odegbami, Yekini, Amuneke

Much respect to Okala, Rufai, Muda Lawal, Oliseh, Nwosu, Usiyen, . Seems funny Ikpeba got to be African Player of the Year but hard to make the top 33 list.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the matter, Fear God and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. "
Ecclesiastes 12:13

popular quote- "Every Good deed will not go unpunished"
Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg

Post by Ezesportsworld »

Sorry folks..but Okala won African football of the year in 1978...rare feat for a goalkeeper.
www.ezesportsworld.net

Chesapeake sports Academy
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Ezesportsworld wrote:Sorry folks..but Okala won African football of the year in 1978...rare feat for a goalkeeper.
Bro,

Are you sure about that? I seem to remember that Segun Odegbami came 2nd after Abdul Razak (Ghana). Both of those players lit up the CAN in Ghana (which the host team won) although Tarek Dhiab (who was Player of the Year 1977) excelled at the 1978 World Cup in Argentina.
Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg

Post by Ezesportsworld »

Goldleaf..pls google Okala and african footballer of the year..
www.ezesportsworld.net

Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg

Post by Ezesportsworld »

Emmanuel Okala; First Nigerian African Footballer of the year Emmanuel Okala; First Nigerian African Footballer of the year

Posted on Sun 21 Sep 2014, 07:04 PM

Nigeria has produced great goalkeepers within the period football enjoyed impressive popularity in the country. That was from the time the sport provided among others, a platform for the galvanization and resourceful utilization of raw energy inbuilt in youths who just survived a thirty month civil war. Few months ago, the country’s national team was at the 2014 world cup in Brazil. One of the team’s outstanding players was the number one goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama.

His contributions was glaring that many argued he kept the Super Eagles in the competition till it was eliminated at the round of 16. Journalists who covered the world fiesta said Enyeama was blamed by the coach Stephen Keshi for the loss to Argentina in one of the group matches. Majority of football watchers who followed that game insist that the coach’s judgment is as harsh as it is unfair.

The list of great goalkeepers Nigeria has produced will include, Alloy Agu, two time world cup goalie, Peter Rufai, Ike Shorunmu and the rest. But the greatest of them all but less mentioned is the tallest goalkeeper to have ever come out of Nigeria, Emmanuel Okala.

The six feet plus goal tender was born on May 17, 1951 in Onitsha in present day Anambra state. Though he seems to have been forgotten and hardly referred to, those who are old enough to have followed the years that could be regarded as the golden era of Nigeria’s home league, will not forget the towering figure of the man whose presence intimidate all strikers standing between the posts.

His journey as a goalkeeper began “by chance”. In an interview he granted some year’s back Emma Okala said it began in 1963 when he was 12-years-old. He was then at Holy Cross High School, Umuawulu, Awka and a winger in the school’s football team .

According to Okala.”I was brought into the first eleven to play at the outside left position. I had the height to cope with the other boys who were older and in the upper classes. At some point during a crucial game, our games master, Mr. C .N. Ukpaka, wanted to change our goalkeeper who, in his judgement was not pulling his weight. I volunteered to play in his position. It was a good chance to use the height advantage which I had over the forward players. From that day the games master said I was the school’s goalkeeper. It remained so until I left school in 1966.”

Okala moved through some other smaller clubs that were springing up after the war until he was drafted into the Eastern Spartans that transformed into the Rangers International where he blossomed as the best goalkeeper in Nigeria and unarguably one of the best on the continent. African Sports Journalists Union in 1979 announced him as the Africa best footballer for the year 1978. Some historians have not been fair to this man who also won the first African Nations Cup in 1980 for Nigeria by denying him the honour of being the first Nigerian to win the revered award.

Till date, Emmanuel Okala is the only goalkeeper to win the Africa Best Footballer of the Year.
www.ezesportsworld.net

Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg

Post by Ezesportsworld »

Source: Homelandnewsng.com
www.ezesportsworld.net

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Workman wrote:I would need to use the emerging trend of 3-4-3 to list my top 11 ever.

Keeper - Enyeama

Much respect to Okala, Rufai, Muda Lawal, Oliseh, Nwosu, Usiyen, . Seems funny Ikpeba got to be African Player of the Year but hard to make the top 33 list.
so you want Mikel to do all that work in midfield, haba, Okocha offers no defensive game as well as Kanu
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Eze,

There is no question about Okala's pedigree but what he won was the ASJU award and not the official award for the African Footballer of the Year (AFOY) that existed at the time. The official award during Okala's era was awarded by France Football magazine. For details of those who won that award as well as others who won awards that replaced France Football (i.e. CAF's award) click on the link below:

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/afr-poy.html

Again, there is no question that Okala was the continent's best goalkeeper for a period during his era and it was often a question between him and Thomas N'Kono. But Enyeama is also Africa's best for a while. Those two have, during their different careers, been the best in Africa. My giving the nod to Enyeama is simply based on stats that convinced me after years of my belief that Okala could not be surpassed.
Ezesportsworld wrote:Emmanuel Okala; First Nigerian African Footballer of the year Emmanuel Okala; First Nigerian African Footballer of the year

Posted on Sun 21 Sep 2014, 07:04 PM

Nigeria has produced great goalkeepers within the period football enjoyed impressive popularity in the country. That was from the time the sport provided among others, a platform for the galvanization and resourceful utilization of raw energy inbuilt in youths who just survived a thirty month civil war. Few months ago, the country’s national team was at the 2014 world cup in Brazil. One of the team’s outstanding players was the number one goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama.

His contributions was glaring that many argued he kept the Super Eagles in the competition till it was eliminated at the round of 16. Journalists who covered the world fiesta said Enyeama was blamed by the coach Stephen Keshi for the loss to Argentina in one of the group matches. Majority of football watchers who followed that game insist that the coach’s judgment is as harsh as it is unfair.

The list of great goalkeepers Nigeria has produced will include, Alloy Agu, two time world cup goalie, Peter Rufai, Ike Shorunmu and the rest. But the greatest of them all but less mentioned is the tallest goalkeeper to have ever come out of Nigeria, Emmanuel Okala.

The six feet plus goal tender was born on May 17, 1951 in Onitsha in present day Anambra state. Though he seems to have been forgotten and hardly referred to, those who are old enough to have followed the years that could be regarded as the golden era of Nigeria’s home league, will not forget the towering figure of the man whose presence intimidate all strikers standing between the posts.

His journey as a goalkeeper began “by chance”. In an interview he granted some year’s back Emma Okala said it began in 1963 when he was 12-years-old. He was then at Holy Cross High School, Umuawulu, Awka and a winger in the school’s football team .

According to Okala.”I was brought into the first eleven to play at the outside left position. I had the height to cope with the other boys who were older and in the upper classes. At some point during a crucial game, our games master, Mr. C .N. Ukpaka, wanted to change our goalkeeper who, in his judgement was not pulling his weight. I volunteered to play in his position. It was a good chance to use the height advantage which I had over the forward players. From that day the games master said I was the school’s goalkeeper. It remained so until I left school in 1966.”

Okala moved through some other smaller clubs that were springing up after the war until he was drafted into the Eastern Spartans that transformed into the Rangers International where he blossomed as the best goalkeeper in Nigeria and unarguably one of the best on the continent. African Sports Journalists Union in 1979 announced him as the Africa best footballer for the year 1978. Some historians have not been fair to this man who also won the first African Nations Cup in 1980 for Nigeria by denying him the honour of being the first Nigerian to win the revered award.

Till date, Emmanuel Okala is the only goalkeeper to win the Africa Best Footballer of the Year.
hangingfire
Egg
Egg

Post by hangingfire »

oloye wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
oloye wrote:
Ezesportsworld wrote:Sorry non of you guys saw Chairman play...
That is taking an assumption too far :lol: We may not be grandads yet, but some of us were privileged to see siamon suku play. He was awesome, but let truth be told emotions aside Keshi was better. I repeat i am a diehard CCC fan, i cried the day Keshi took over the baton after CCC was humiliated in that loss to Algeria, took me several years to accept Keshi. But Keshi truth be told remains the best centerhalf we ever had...the best ever!
Oga Oloye, no wa for you o...
You dey use Algeria example? That Chukwu was a pale shadow of 'Chairman'...Its like referencing the Keshi of AFCON/WCup 1994...

But what's wrong with playing Chukwu & Keshi as a CD pair...?
It should have been those two period. And my argument is that, to drop Keshi on any Naija line up is a sacrilege.
To drop Christian Chukwu for Stephen Keshi is a taboo. Yes, Chukwu was beaten several times. So too was Franz Beckenbaur, Daniel Passarella, Bobby Moore, Franco Baresi, Gaetano Scirea, Frank Rijkaard and especially Keshi. Chukwu had something else that Keshi never had. He was cool, calm and collected. He is a leader who had a unique way of getting the best out of his colleagues at both club and country. Chukwu was to frame it best, a coach's joy.

Keshi on the other hand can be a time bomb waiting to explode. He was one heck of a loose cannon. His mistakes are all over the places in any particular game. His relationships with his colleagues can also be testy. He could not coexist with any strong willed player who would have been equally very useful to the country's cause during his era. Talent wise, Chukwu was the best there was and remains the best there ever will be for contemporary Nigerian defenders. We await his equal or one that will best him.
Workman
Egg
Egg

Post by Workman »

Finidi could do what Moses what Moses does not to an extent. Maybe draw Odegbami further back into midfield and push Kanu up front (Odegbami would still score more goals than him either way).
Last edited by Workman on Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the matter, Fear God and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. "

Workman
Egg
Egg

Post by Workman »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Workman wrote:I would need to use the emerging trend of 3-4-3 to list my top 11 ever.

Keeper - Enyeama

so you want Mikel to do all that work in midfield, haba, Okocha offers no defensive game as well as Kanu
Finidi could do what Moses what Moses does not to an extent. Maybe draw Odegbami further back into midfield and push Kanu up front (Odegbami would still score more goals than him either way).

rust09
Egg
Egg

Post by rust09 »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:A topic like this one was bound to generate a million and one different opinions but I totally stand by my best XI. I would never dream of picking an all time Nigeria first eleven that didn't include Henry Nwosu. He was simply the best athlete that's ever played at that position for Nigeria :!:

Cheers.
Seconded!