Expectations from African teams in World Cup 2018

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

TheHitman47
Egg
Egg
Expectations from African teams in World Cup 2018

Post by TheHitman47 »

What do you expect from African teams next year. Do you think there will be an improvement from previous tournaments? Do you think There will be multiple teams to emerge from their groups or do you think it will be another World Cup of disappointments?

I am optimistic. I think there will be some wrenches thrown into the balance of things and think that we will see a bit more from African teams this time around. At least that is what I am hoping.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Expectations from African teams in World Cup 2018

Post by Undertaker »

The usual...... one or two make it to the round of 16 and then fizzed out! Btw, these are my five teams going to Russia 2018

Egypt
Congo DR
CIV
Senegal
Nigeria
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
guest83
Egg
Egg

Post by guest83 »

My prediction is that it will be one of the worst WC. African teams are not evolving and at the same time others are making big progress.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Excluding a miracle I've seen nothing at present to cause me to believe African teams will all of the sudden take the world by storm,what's changed to warrant any optimism?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Whatever your positions, you guys are talking too soon. The truth is, no one can tell what will happen one way or the other. Thus, ...
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Same ol bullshyt
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

I watched about 6 games a the just ended afcon and compared to teams I saw in euros, confer cup, France and German friendlies expectation is a bit fat zero. Sorry :oops:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

I will say this. Europeans and South Americans won't have confidence in our teams so if we don't have confidence in our teams, who will?

I am thinking optimistically and I think we will see something different. As one here said, it is too early to tell.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Undertaker wrote:The usual...... one or two make it to the round of 16 and then fizzed out! Btw, these are my five teams going to Russia 2018

Egypt
Congo DR
CIV
Senegal
Nigeria
Egypt, CIV and Nigeria seem to be on the fasttrack to qualification. Still space for an upset (especially if Egypt underestimate Uganda). I am quietly optimistic about Congo DR (no more Tunisia at World Cup's please), especially given Tunisia still has an away game Naby Keita and co. I'm not so sure Senegal will qualify... Tough opposition.

My analysis of the chances of African team:
It all depends on the groups, but I think Egypt and Nigeria will give a good showing of themselves.

GROUP A:
DRCongo could give a great showing of themselves. They have a nice creative team, albeit I'm a bit worried about them defensively and the number of headless chickens they have. Still, they should be attractive for neutrals. With Bakambu and Bolasie they have killer wings though... Tunisia on the other hand will be Africa's nightmare... Not only boring football, but also inefficient.

GROUP B:
If we get the mix just right and solve the full back issues plus decide on a quality forward Nigeria can finally make the 1/4 or maybe go even deeper. They have the players, Rohr is just about capable enough and I think Nigeria players have just the confidence / swagger needed to go deep despite being underdogs. I think Nigeria will do great at the next World Cup.

GROUP C:
CIV will likely pull ahead of their group after the two Gabon games. Mali messed it up because they should have called up their youth players, while Morocco has been dissapointing. This is somewhat unfortunate, because despite having some elite players like Seri, Kessie, Aurier, Bailly they have been very underwhelming. I think they will dissapoint once again in 2018...

GROUP D:
The biggest unknown is Senegal's group. Senegal has a group of elite players like no other African team since the 1990s. Not even Cote d'Ivoire under Drogba comes close. They are missing an elite centre forward, but they have a decent goalie and are quality in every other position in the field. Plus they have depth. But they don't seem to have their team game settled... And Burkina Faso and South Africa both seem set to cause issues. All in all I'm crossing my fingers for anyone who makes it from this group. But Burkina Faso / South Africa can add flair to the 2018 World Cup, but Senegal is the team that can look like real contenders under the right circumstances.

GROUP E:
I'm pretty confident Egypt will do great in 2018. They are a tournament team, have great players in Salah, El Neny and tactically they have what it takes. That said I'm not sure they will close the deal vs Uganda. Uganda has been really playing great and if Egypt drop points in Uganda or at home the group is wide open again, especially if Ghana manage a double over Congo.

My hope is for 3 African teams in the 1/8 final with at least one making the 1/4 final (a 1/2 final would be a dream come true).
I expect 2 African teams in the 1/8 final though (my bet would be Nigeria and Egypt).

All in all a lot hinges on the federations and their preparations for the tournament. No more Ghana and wads of cash... No more Cameroon and onfield infighting... No more unpaid money in the Nigerian camp.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Samora Machel wrote:I watched about 6 games a the just ended afcon and compared to teams I saw in euros, confer cup, France and German friendlies expectation is a bit fat zero. Sorry :oops:

Analysis like the above are quite wrong. First of all, teams like Germany and Chile will be few at the World Cup and will be the very best ones. The World Cup is made up of predominantly teams at the level of the top African teams. That is what the World Cup is. It is not full of teams at the level of Germany. If it is it would be made up of 6 teams and not 32. That is the reality of the World Cup.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

People need to realize that for every Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Spain or France, there will be Japan, Korea, Iran, Australias, Honduras, Panamas that we should be winning against.
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

Enugu II wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:I watched about 6 games a the just ended afcon and compared to teams I saw in euros, confer cup, France and German friendlies expectation is a bit fat zero. Sorry :oops:

Analysis like the above are quite wrong. First of all, teams like Germany and Chile will be few at the World Cup and will be the very best ones. The World Cup is made up of predominantly teams at the level of the top African teams. That is what the World Cup is. It is not full of teams at the level of Germany. If it is it would be made up of 6 teams and not 32. That is the reality of the World Cup.
After watching the Germany side - makes Nigeria and other potential African teams miles miles away. yes we have come a long way since 1990 - but seems European teams have just raised the bar again and left African hanging-

lets face it - African will be lucky to get one Q final spot next year, if can avoid the top europeans teams

African generally switch off at the back, and going forward don’t see any African team better than Chile yet one error killed them – European will just capitalize our errors at the back –

We should just concentrate on our strengths which is power, PACE, determination and just hope for the best.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

There is just one Germany.
For all the hype France gets for its set of players, they are nowhere as clinical, results based.

There are two teams I fear from Europe: Germany and Italy. The rest is beatable. The only reason Europe has so many teams in the knockout stages is because they just have so much teams at the World Cup! Period!

And even Germany: Look at Ghana or Algeria vs Germany at the 2014 World Cup. The Africans were the only teams that really tested them.
Last edited by marutimon on Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

walesvilla wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

After watching the Germany side - makes Nigeria and other potential African teams miles miles away. yes we have come a long way since 1990 - but seems European teams have just raised the bar again and left African hanging-

lets face it - African will be lucky to get one Q final spot next year, if can avoid the top europeans teams

African generally switch off at the back, and going forward don’t see any African team better than Chile yet one error killed them – European will just capitalize our errors at the back –

We should just concentrate on our strengths which is power, PACE, determination and just hope for the best.
We may be behind in things, but the thing our teams need to do is to not put our heads down against these teams when we play them. That alone can win a team a game. Quality is one thing but belief is the strongest attribute to help you win!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

TheHitman47 wrote: People need to realize that for every Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Spain or France, there will be Japan, Korea, Iran, Australias, Honduras, Panamas that we should be winning against.
..., but can you (we) win such teams or will we end-up losing, or at best drawing with such teams? Whatever the case, (we) African teams need to be prepared and prepare well to be successful in the World Cup (WC). Our failures are getting a little too much to bear.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

marutimon wrote:There is just one Germany.
For all the hype France gets for its set of players, they are nowhere as clinical, results based.

There are two teams I fear from Europe: Germany and Italy. The rest is beatable. The only reason Europe has so many teams in the knockout stages is because they just have so much teams at the World Cup! Period!

And even Germany: Look at Ghana or Algeria vs Germany at the 2014 World Cup. The Africans were the only teams that really tested them.
Germany was just playing game management in tournament football- not like they were in any danger of losing- they were playing in gear 2 – while our African brothers’ were in full blast eyes popped out gear to match up.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

walesvilla wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Your suggestion makes a lot of sense to me. Like they say, "use what you have to get what you want" - origins unknown. Thus, we should use what we have to deal with our opponents and be successful.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

TheHitman47 wrote:
walesvilla wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

We may be behind in things, but the thing our teams need to do is to not put our heads down against these teams when we play them. That alone can win a team a game. Quality is one thing but belief is the strongest attribute to help you win!
KPAM! :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Go into the games and believe in yourself, your capabilities and defend as a team and victory or a good result will be attained
Last edited by Odas on Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

Odas wrote:
TheHitman47 wrote: People need to realize that for every Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Spain or France, there will be Japan, Korea, Iran, Australias, Honduras, Panamas that we should be winning against.
..., but can you (we) win such teams or will we end-up losing, or at best drawing with such teams? Whatever the case, (we) African teams need to be prepared and prepare well to be successful in the World Cup (WC). Our failures are getting a little too much to bear.
you are correct - its not clear cut against the so called 2nd rated teams - Iran Nigeria drew 2014, Japan and Korea will be 50-50 -- Honduras Panamas - Nigeria or African team will be lucky to get a 2-1 victory - but he is a miracle working God - let how the year goes -otherwise it be similar to 2014 Wcup for all African team. 2nd round at best for 1 team
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

walesvilla wrote:
Odas wrote:
you are correct - its not clear cut against the so called 2nd rated teams - Iran Nigeria drew 2014, Japan and Korea will be 50-50 -- Honduras Panamas - Nigeria or African team will be lucky to get a 2-1 victory - but he is a miracle working God - let how the year goes -otherwise it be similar to 2014 Wcup for all African team. 2nd round at best for 1 team

This is us downplaying teams. The fact is that we are better than these teams. If you don't believe that then you won't be. Giving into this idea that we can't beat those teams is why we have issues with beating them.

Just a point of reference, African teams have a great record against Asian teams at the World Cup with the current top 5 African teams undefeated against them in World Cup History.

Japan and Korea have huge problems dealing with African teams if you saw the last World Cup. This is what I say about Confidence. If you believe the bullshit and think we aren't good enough than look again. Also those CONCACAF teams like Panama or Honduras aren't as good as us either and that is no miracle.
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

Nigeria should be winning against teams like Japan Korea, Panama, Honduras, Australia. If you go into games like that saying, "oh it's a 50-50" then you already are in the wrong mindset. We are better and rightfully so. Our head to head records against those teams already say this.

The US has this mentality and it has improved their national team incredibly. None of the smaller teams in their region really stack up against them.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

I gave up when we lost to Greece in 2010.

Wha choo looking at?!
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

TheHitman47 wrote:Nigeria should be winning against teams like Japan Korea, Panama, Honduras, Australia. If you go into games like that saying, "oh it's a 50-50" then you already are in the wrong mindset. We are better and rightfully so. Our head to head records against those teams already say this.

The US has this mentality and it has improved their national team incredibly. None of the smaller teams in their region really stack up against them.
I used to think like this before 2002 - beating teams you mentioned - just cannot explain our problems lately - if games seem easy we be too casual and mess it up - eg 2010 Greece or Iran 2014 or Korea 2010.. difficult games we play well for 70mins make one silly error game over eg against Argentina 2002 ,2010 or Sweden 2002