Onazi Interview - Trouble in Paradise?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

K
Egg
Egg
Onazi Interview - Trouble in Paradise?

Post by K »

In this interview with ESPN after the England game, Onazi is insinuating that some players work hard while some just walk around. What does he mean? Does he have Mikel in mind? Hope this is nipped in the bud before slippers start slapping faces

visit the village square
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg
Re: Onazi Interview - Trouble in Paradise?

Post by Goalgetter »

Mikel comes to mind.
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

K wrote:In this interview with ESPN after the England game, Onazi is insinuating that some players work hard while some just walk around. What does he mean? Does he have Mikel in mind? Hope this is nipped in the bud before slippers start slapping faces

Problem is most SE are not good players; so the result is the team is overrun by a skillful or talented or organized opposition, which in effect results in more hard work needed to contain the opposition.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

What Mikel did yesterday (on multiple occasions) was unacceptable.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Oguleftie wrote:
K wrote:In this interview with ESPN after the England game, Onazi is insinuating that some players work hard while some just walk around. What does he mean? Does he have Mikel in mind? Hope this is nipped in the bud before slippers start slapping faces

Problem is most SE are not good players; so the result is the team is overrun by a skillful or talented or organized opposition, which in effect results in more hard work needed to contain the opposition.
Over the years Rohr had stock to his guns in the bad players he selected, and his bad criteria for selection.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Iwobi did similar in the first half.

I think the boys are mature enough to talk about things and fix it. I'm slightly worried Onazi still seemed annoyed today. Suggests they haven't settled the issue yet.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

niyi wrote:Iwobi did similar in the first half.

I think the boys are mature enough to talk about things and fix it. I'm slightly worried Onazi still seemed annoyed today. Suggests they haven't settled the issue yet.
We do not have a captain. Mikel is not that type of captain, at least this present time. Expect it to get even worse.
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

If I was playing a friendly a few days before the WC I too will put in minimal effort. Who wants to get hurt before the WC?
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
gurrano
Egg
Egg

Post by gurrano »

I am not sure who he is is referring to in the interview but I had the same concern seeing how Mikel seemed to be casual sometimes when we lost possession of the ball during the game yesterday.

I like the the way he approached the interview by first taking personal responsibility for his performance in the game and then also calling out some of the issues he perceives that the team needs to address without making it personal by mentioning specific individuals.

I hope Rohr will permit open discussions about things like this in the dressing room as it will help the team members keep each other accountable and also help make the team stronger in the long term as they will all be on the same page regarding their expectations of each other on the field.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Some of you are not on our side.
That was a clear, straight forward interview.
How you can take a generic statement about everyone needing to run and turn it on it’s head is tantamount to sabotage.
He said:
- it was a bad game
- he was bad
- England had an extra man in the first half in the mid
- Nigeria addresses that in the 2nd
- they haven’t had time to work on their systems
- they will be a lot better by the World Cup

That’s pretty much exactly what both Mikel and Rohr said in their interviews yesterday. If anything, it’s remarkable how aligned their talking points are.

You guys abeg, stop trying to create divisions in the team. Please
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

ogasir wrote:If I was playing a friendly a few days before the WC I too will put in minimal effort. Who wants to get hurt before the WC?
Not so. There is a real problem.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

ogasir wrote:If I was playing a friendly a few days before the WC I too will put in minimal effort. Who wants to get hurt before the WC?
People keep making it seem like Mikel was deliberately holding back because it was a friendly but he does similar things in competitive games.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
gurrano
Egg
Egg

Post by gurrano »

I beg to disagree as winning teams develop a culture of working hard and never giving up every single time they get on the field. Not having that mindset and picking and choosing when to give your best encourages a culture that breeds mediocrity e.g. Arsenal during the last few years of Wenger.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

waka-man wrote:Some of you are not on our side.
That was a clear, straight forward interview.
How you can take a generic statement about everyone needing to run and turn it on it’s head is tantamount to sabotage.
He said:
- it was a bad game
- he was bad
- England had an extra man in the first half in the mid
- Nigeria addresses that in the 2nd
- they haven’t had time to work on their systems
- they will be a lot better by the World Cup

That’s pretty much exactly what both Mikel and Rohr said in their interviews yesterday. If anything, it’s remarkable how aligned their talking points are.

You guys abeg, stop trying to create divisions in the team. Please
But he also said what the OP posted. Granted it was just a line and you could tell he was reluctant to say it... but he did.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Go back and watch Nigeria Congo during the Keshi era. The second leg in Brazzaville. After Aaron Samuel scores the winner at the latter part of the game, Congo plays a highball from a free kick into the Naija six yard box. Mikel just pretends to jump for it but does not. The Congolese forward heads it and Enyeama makes a finger tip save. Onaolapo ripped Mikel a new one. The argument continued into the dressing room and bus.
Watch the end of the game on highlights.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Onazi should be lucky he is in the Last 23.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Such criticism should stay in camp!
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

True, Mikel is and can be lazy.... But Onazi was poor all round Piss poor..... Wrong choices in position, terrible passes, total lack of confidence on the ball...... Everything he said was true but this was a more PERSONAL thing IMHO. I'm glad he's seen it....What I don't like is, he seems to think his part was 50%......
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
soccernut
Egg
Egg

Post by soccernut »

With the likes of Onazi in the final 23, SE will not make second round. The man is past his prime and overweight. We all know that Mikel runs out of gas but he also brings a lot to the table.
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

A neutral fan watching the match cracked a joke that it woulda been better if that clash of head was between Joel Obi and Onanzi knocking em both out of the WC.... I laughed but....
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

The real deal wrote:True, Mikel is and can be lazy.... But Onazi was poor all round Piss poor..... Wrong choices in position, terrible passes, total lack of confidence on the ball...... Everything he said was true but this was a more PERSONAL thing IMHO. I'm glad he's seen it....What I don't like is, he seems to think his part was 50%......
It was an honest interview.

1) I did not play well.

2) Others are pedestrians.

While Okocha was an awilo dancer, Mikel Obi (though good) is a pedestrian tourist, who accomplishes his work with minimal effort. In a competition like the World Cup, where the stakes are high, you will need to run hard. Nigeria has good players, but the requisite hunger will likely come from 1 to 3 players ...

<
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

1st 15 min, they played individual football, the whole lot of them, England just went through at will, for poor finishing, sorry, it could have been a high score by half time.
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

No be today.

Last WC, when Onazi was busy having massive games, Mikel was having stinkers, turning over the ball at will.
Last edited by anointed on Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe