The thing no one wants to hear. The real problem

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The thing no one wants to hear. The real problem

Post by ohsee »

Prince wrote:
ohsee wrote:
Damunk wrote:We need to do a multi-angled story on Rashidi Yekini.
What made him tick?
Chief doc, while all respect must go to Yekini, he often needed ten chances to score one. What we need to learn from a player like Yekini is his ability to repeatedly find space in the box. If that guy had the coolness in front of goal and the ability to shoot straight 50% of the time, who be Ronaldo?
Goal scoring is an art and not many can score goals, Germans now realize is, its ok to have midfileders that hide but goals wions you games, Yekini had an appertitie to score and he always does, show me a striker that doesnt miss goals, I wiill show you want that has a low goal count...... Lukaku, Aguero, Kane all miss goals or not even get chances in games.

The man scored unbelievable amount of goals. same used to be said of Andy Cole but he is the thrid highest goal scorer in premiership history, if you are too clinical means you are not trying hard enough, means you go missing in big games where the chance to be clinical is not there
There, there, Prince, don't cry, I am not putting down your hero, just pointing out facts. :lol: :taunt: I didn't say Yekini is not a great striker and the best we have ever had. I said his finishing ratio is not what it could be, a big problem of African strikers. Even Samuel Eto'o had to work hard on accurate shooting to get to where he ended up--I remember how he missed open nets at ANC 2000.

Africans need to learn that criticism can help us improve. It is not always a put down of your "contriman." :lol:
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Scipio Africanus wrote:Many of our players lack refinement and technique in the way they strike the ball. Especially as a striker, part of your skillset must include a high level of skill when striking the ball. We know this, they know this, but what are they doing to improve their skills and correct the problem?

We are relying on this or that coach, but this is an area where they can take the initiative on their own and improve their skill set as a footballer.
Do any of our players say: I could be striking the ball better. This is my livelihood. I will take 2 hours every day to practice until I improve. The good thing about this is that it is totally under their control, as long as they are willing to put in the work and the time.

Players like Beckham, Pirlo and CR7 would spent hours everyday perfecting their ball striking technique. Pirlo even wrote a book about his personal ball striking improvement regimen. Everybody enjoys the spectacular final product, but nobody sees the sheer volume of time, work and sweat these players spent on their own time to perfect their technique.

Examples of refinement and technique?

Most shots taken by Luis Suarez, Coutinho and Neymar.

Musa's two goals against Argentina last WC and his goals against Iceland in this WC.

Del Piero's second goal for Italy against Germany in the 2006 semi-final.

Kroos stroking the ball into the Brazilian goal 2 times last WC, or that last second FK against Sweden in this WC.

The shots that Messi and Rojo (A defender!) took to score against us.

Examples of the opposite technique?

The shots taken by Ighalo

The shots taken by Etebo (who had a great game against ARG besides his poor shooting technique)

Now we utilize reams of Megabytes and Gigabytes discussing formations and tactics, and this player or that player, but what really makes the difference at this level is TAKING YOUR CHANCES.
It goes without saying that a refined striker is more likely to bury chances, even half-chances.

Because guess what? Every team at this WC created chances. The difference between those moving on and those going home is that the former took their chances.

We can hire Pep, Klopp and Mourinho at the same time to coach the SE and we will still be a substandard team. It is like hiring a master architect and giving him substandard building materials and expecting a great mansion. The materials have to be improved, or in our case, the players have to make a conscious effort to improve themselves.

Rant over.
:clap: :clap:
Scipio, chop knuckle...chop knuckle...

Let me add:
Beyond refining technique & practice...there is the often ignored factor of "Mentality"...Or "Self-Belief"...

Self-belief breeds composure (a modicum of arrogance) that is often the basis for "nerveless finishing"...
This, more than anything else, might have enabled Ighalo to simply chip the Argentine keeper (rather than try to hammer the ball under his legs)

Kanu showed that once in his international career: at Atlantla 96 Papillo had the arrogance to juggle the ball over Dida into the net (amid a forest of Brazilian legs)

Ighalo's lack of Self-Belief in the SEagles jersey is the main reason he often snatches chances...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Enugu II wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote: .

Scipio

KPOM. However, I will argue that striking the ball is what Iheanacho does well. Unfortunately, Iheanacho's game has several holes beyond that skill. Ighalo had never been an example of a pure goal score. Notice that his first and only option seems to be to strike the ball as hard as possible without thinking about angles and an amount of weight needed in particular context. That is the exact opposite of Iheanacho.
Prof,

You are right on Iheanacho. His ball striking technique is impeccable. Like you mentioned, he has other issues with his game. You also laid out Ighalo's tendencies. Every great goal scorer is a blend of nature and nurture. I believe that with work and effort, Ighalo (and any other person who has the desire) can improve himself.

Wha choo looking at?!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

ohsee wrote:
Prince wrote:
ohsee wrote:
What made him tick?
Chief doc, while all respect must go to Yekini, he often needed ten chances to score one. What we need to learn from a player like Yekini is his ability to repeatedly find space in the box. If that guy had the coolness in front of goal and the ability to shoot straight 50% of the time, who be Ronaldo?
Goal scoring is an art and not many can score goals, Germans now realize is, its ok to have midfileders that hide but goals wions you games, Yekini had an appertitie to score and he always does, show me a striker that doesnt miss goals, I wiill show you want that has a low goal count...... Lukaku, Aguero, Kane all miss goals or not even get chances in games.

The man scored unbelievable amount of goals. same used to be said of Andy Cole but he is the thrid highest goal scorer in premiership history, if you are too clinical means you are not trying hard enough, means you go missing in big games where the chance to be clinical is not there
There, there, Prince, don't cry, I am not putting down your hero, just pointing out facts. :lol: :taunt: I didn't say Yekini is not a great striker and the best we have ever had. I said his finishing ratio is not what it could be, a big problem of African strikers. Even Samuel Eto'o had to work hard on accurate shooting to get to where he ended up--I remember how he missed open nets at ANC 2000.

Africans need to learn that criticism can help us improve. It is not always a put down
of your "contriman." :lol:
Good luck getting this point across to the likes of missues brassier.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Scipio

KPOM. However, I will argue that striking the ball is what Iheanacho does well. Unfortunately, Iheanacho's game has several holes beyond that skill. Ighalo had never been an example of a pure goal score. Notice that his first and only option seems to be to strike the ball as hard as possible without thinking about angles and an amount of weight needed in particular context. That is the exact opposite of Iheanacho.
Prof,

You are right on Iheanacho. His ball striking technique is impeccable. Like you mentioned, he has other issues with his game. You also laid out Ighalo's tendencies. Every great goal scorer is a blend of nature and nurture. I believe that with work and effort, Ighalo (and any other person who has the desire) can improve himself.
At 29? bros that ship has long sailed oh.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

ohsee wrote:
Prince wrote:
ohsee wrote:
What made him tick?

Africans need to learn that criticism can help us improve. It is not always a put down of your "contriman." :lol:
Uncle Ohsee,
I was a great critic of Yekini, Infact they sued to call him Mr Miss, infact he was rumoured to have detroyed the lightnings at liberty stadium from a missed shot, but leaving emotions aside, as a striker myself :tic: :tic: I now realise that the art of scoring is difficult, the goal scorers that have good finishing ratio do not have volume on their side, His goal scoring record is uneblievable in different countries. Africa and Europe.....
Oya back to the matter
open and close
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

nanijoe wrote:With respect, you are referring to the wrong person...Yekini often scored 3 goals from 2 chances :)
ohsee wrote:
What made him tick?
:rotf: :rotf:
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Prince wrote:
ohsee wrote:
Prince wrote:
ohsee wrote:
What made him tick?

Uncle Ohsee,
I was a great critic of Yekini, Infact they sued to call him Mr Miss, infact he was rumoured to have detroyed the lightnings at liberty stadium from a missed shot, but leaving emotions aside, as a striker myself :tic: :tic: I now realise that the art of scoring is difficult, the goal scorers that have good finishing ratio do not have volume on their side, His goal scoring record is uneblievable in different countries. Africa and Europe.....
Eh hen! the truth is coming out. I agree with this post 100% There is no denying that he was an incredible striker. He is the best we have had in my opinion as i did not have the privilege of watching the likes of Usiyan. That being said, anyone who said he was not wasteful is telling tales by moonlight.

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

FATHER TIKO wrote:

:clap: :clap:
Scipio, chop knuckle...chop knuckle...

Let me add:
Beyond refining technique & practice...there is the often ignored factor of "Mentality"...Or "Self-Belief"...

Self-belief breeds composure (a modicum of arrogance) that is often the basis for "nerveless finishing"...
This, more than anything else, might have enabled Ighalo to simply chip the Argentine keeper (rather than try to hammer the ball under his legs)

Kanu showed that once in his international career: at Atlantla 96 Papillo had the arrogance to juggle the ball over Dida into the net (amid a forest of Brazilian legs)

Ighalo's lack of Self-Belief in the SEagles jersey is the main reason he often snatches chances...
Oga tenks o!

About self-belief, I think it comes from previous success. If you become so good at doing something, and other people see you doing that thing very well and also tell you that you are very good, your self belief rockets to the stratosphere. That in turn gives you the motivation to keep doing what you are doing and finding ways to be better at it.

Papillo had probably done that juggle that he did against Dida, countless times on the playgrounds of Owerri (that is practice too :mrgreen: ) to screams and shouts of "papillo!" from admiring onlookers.

That is why when crunch time came against Brazil he probably did it without even thinking about it.

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

metalalloy wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Scipio

Prof,

At 29? bros that ship has long sailed oh.
Bros you would be surprised. Maybe the ceiling would be lower, but there can definitely be improvement.

Wha choo looking at?!
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Uncle Ohsee

For Nigeria he had 37 in 58 games if he took 9 more chances that he missed he would be scoring 333 goals in 58 games according to Uncle Ohsee :taunt: :taunt:
Oya back to the matter
open and close
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

metalalloy wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:
Prince wrote:
ohsee wrote:
What made him tick?

Simple. Yekini was an ever present danger. Definition of a real menace. He missed chances but even the 'real' Ronaldo was missing chances too :mrgreen:

Again, this is not the point of this thread. Yekini's personal efforts in developing himself into Africa's most lethal striker via personal training is what supports the point of this thread. The effect of his efforts goes beyond the Super Eagles. We just benefited from it.

Abegi!. The OP never mentioned Yekini, Damunk did. Yekini is the highest scorer that we have had. FACT. Yekini was a very wasteful striker for stretches of his career FACT!!! Even in the peak of his powers he was throwing away chances. Anyone who watch the ANC in 94 would attest to this. Anything else you spout is just hot air no matter how you try to spin it.

Go and read this thread below for a little education since e be like sey you be small boy like John12 that just started watching football and are relying on stats for your information

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40734&start=92
This is why Danfo Driver aptly described you as a bloody illiterate - zero comprehension ability :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

metalalloy wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
What made him tick?

Yekini missed more than his fair shot of chances oh! The only thing that made up for this is that he played with a better set of offensive players that created tons of chances. He eventually buried one or two.
Inaccurate. Yekini missed chances but was always working on his weaknesses in terms of accuracy which stemmed from his physical build that affected his balance. To say Yekini made a difference because of better offensive players showed that you don't know his story. He actually had to learn to go deep to fetch the ball & sometimes force his teammates to join in initiating attacks. Nigeria eventually benefited from his personal hardwork. He told stories of teammates not delivering timely passes at Africa Sports CIV & Victoria Setubal and his personal decision to develop his skillset. He said Nigerians started seeing a vastly improved Yekini at Algeria 1990 AFCON. While most of the others were vacationing, partying & drinking during off-season Yekini was always spotted honing his skills at Liberty Stadium shooting through discarded car tires, or doing ball work at Housing corporation pitch in Bodija or at Ibadan Polytechnic.

That is the point of this thread - pls don't use any watery ITK opinion to undermine the sweats of the legend Rasheed Yekini. It is unfair.
And yekini told you all of this when you were selling him brassier on the highway? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Mentallo Albrighton, I know newspapers and TV were alien to you in your village until you entered boat leave Nigeria :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by YemiBrazil on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

YemiBrazil wrote: This is why Danfo Driver aptly described you as a bloody illiterate - zero comprehension ability :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You don finish assignment wey i give you? if you plan is to derail this thread, e no go work :D

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

metalalloy wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote: This is why Danfo Driver aptly described you as a bloody illiterate - zero comprehension ability :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You don finish assignment wey i give you? if you plan is to derail this thread, e no go work :D
You sef dey give people assignment??? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Calidad
Egg
Egg

Post by Calidad »

the real problem is that the Super Eagles is "no hay calidad" - there is no quality.

Where are the Kanus, Okochas, Finidis, Amunikes, or even Obafemi Martins of today?
"The problem with England is that 'no hay calidad' (there's no quality), save the occasional glimpse from Beckham or Scholes" - ex-Real Madrid midfielder Michel
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Someone opened a thread some months back crying over a goal that was not "beautiful." :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: As RomanusOrjinta said, Nigerians are some of the dumbest people in the world.

While countries are begging for the likes of Costa, Lukaku and Kane who just put the ball at the back of the net, some Nigerians want a striker to score beautiful goals. it is a deep cultural failing. If the fans think like this, what do you think the players think? Abegggiii! we are certainly not ready to have a killer striker! not close.

Kelechi is probably the closes we have and people are more interested in the fact that he cannot do "hold up play." :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: if we were serious, we would have created a tactics that works to his favor, rather than expecting him to be collecting route one police football and "control it well," so that "Guardiola can like him." :roll:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

danfo driver wrote:Someone opened a thread some months back crying over a goal that was not "beautiful." :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: As RomanusOrjinta said, Nigerians are some of the dumbest people in the world.

While countries are begging for the likes of Costa, Lukaku and Kane who just put the ball at the back of the net, some Nigerians want a striker to score beautiful goals. it is a deep cultural failing. If the fans think like this, what do you think the players think? Abegggiii! we are certainly not ready to have a killer striker! not close.

Kelechi is probably the closes we have and people are more interested in the fact that he cannot do "hold up play." :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: if we were serious, we would have created a tactics that works to his favor, rather than expecting him to be collecting route one police football and "control it well," so that "Guardiola can like him." :roll:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Imagine Mentallo Albrighton referring me to a thread where someone wrote "2 Rashidi Yekini: Lot of people know his stock in trade. Power, explosive speed, great shot, but very wasteful. bad first touch, no aerial threat." and they accepted it as simple truth when they can just look at a few of Yekini's old matches - Yekini, bad first touch???? Yekini, no aerial threat??? Some people here are even dumber than Mentallo Albrighton :lol: :lol:

Make I even go watch that video of Yekini vs Real Madrid :D

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

"No aerial threat" Yekini destroying Real Madrid with goals including a powerful header

[/video]

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Our problem is we lack creative players and our defenders are not quick enough. Also our coach was outcoached. Iheanacho is a good finisher. How can he score if you don't give the ball in dangerous areas?
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Back to the topic - no let me totally destroy Mentallo here, we live to fight another day :D

Kelechi has shown that he can get the job done. He has done it for us. This guy was delivering what matters at Man City until Mr Guardiola decided he wasn't doing it his way. Leicester City is a different ball game but the boy appeared to have settled down well. We should not allow this special talent to go to waste. Others that should be huge assets for a long time include Iwobi and Nwakali. These guys should be told in clear terms that they could be the very best in the world - football playing career is not a lifetime career. Get it into their heads that they only need to stay super focused for just the next 10-12 years of their lives.

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Yekini had good technique though...did he ever miss a penalty for us?
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

metalalloy wrote:
Prince wrote:
ohsee wrote:
Prince wrote:
ohsee wrote:
What made him tick?

Uncle Ohsee,
Eh hen! the truth is coming out. I agree with this post 100% There is no denying that he was an incredible striker. He is the best we have had in my opinion as i did not have the privilege of watching the likes of Usiyan. That being said, anyone who said he was not wasteful is telling tales by moonlight.
I have studied Yekini extensively and in my opinion he was a great example of some one who worked on his game in an effort to maximise his natural God-given talents.
Anyone who saw Yekini in his early days cannot tell me he was anywhere near the finished product. He was incredibly strong and a speedy, powerful runner with a powerful shot but his game had an awkwardness about it which sometimes bordered on the comical. Even his nickname "Gangling Rashidi Yekini" was borne out of this.
When he went to Europe though there was a marked improvement in his game especially his movement , his awareness of space and his ability to sniff out goal scoring opportunities. He still had the tendency to snatch at chances and missed quite a few sitters but his inherent hunger for goals meant he would inevitably sniff out more chances and score them. He was at his best when he took chances instinctively, when he tried to be too precise he invariably missed (the chance he had in the game against Italy in USA 1994 when he tried to control the ball from an Emanalo cross instead of stabbing it home in one movement is one painful example).
Fact is even with his shortcomings, he was a goal scoring machine, especially between 1990 and 1994 when he score over 150 goals for club and country. His size, speed and strength meant defenders were always wary of him and he never gave them a moments rest.
The fact that we have struggled to replace him after all these years speaks volumes. If he had improved his finishing he would have been one of the greatest goalscorers in the World.
RIP Rashidi Yekini - A Nigerian Legend.
YNWA