Why Was Yekini So Special? (Updated wrt Osimhen)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

delisyomie don
Egg
Egg
Re: Why Was Yekini So Special?

Post by delisyomie don »

cic old boy wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:59 pm Yekini was NOT world class!

YOU MUST BE JOOKING! THOSE DAY IF ANY AFRICA PLAYERS PLAY IN EUROPE ,THOSE DAYS YOU MUST BE 100 PERCENT FOOTBALL,WE TALKING ABOUT 80S OR 90S..BUT NOW EVERY BODY PLAYS IN EUROPE WHETHER YOU GOOD OR NOT AS LONG YOU BETTER THANT WHAT THEY HAVE .

YEKINI,ABEDI PELE ERA ARE LIKE MORE BETTER THAN SADIO MANE OR SALA!
thanks
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:57 am
mastermind wrote:Maybe we need to develop football in all parts of Nigeria and get everybody involved. The best striker or footballer period I've ever seen play live was in my high school in Ibadan. He's an Hausa boy, big strong and imposing. He's the fastest in the school also. He's got an eye for goal, I can ever forget Joga. His parents didn't want him to play football professionally after high school he went to University.

Strikers are no-nonsense people with a killer-mentality and crazy work ethic. Footballer that we are producing today are just like Mikel, water carriers.

Great point. Yekini, in my view, developed into a great striker quite late but he made a WHALE of it after he developed. He became, perhaps, Africa's most FEARED striker! The issue about whether he was World Class or not is besides the point. In my view, quite irrelevant. The point is that he was SPECIAL! No one before him (remove Usiyan) or after him has even been close and I do not care whether that someone played at a supposedly bigger club in Europe or not.

The FACT is that he remains arguably (Take off Usiyan) Nigeria's most dangerous goal scorer ever. That is ahead of Odion Ighalo (Manchester United and all), Nwankwo Kanu (Ajax/Arsenal), Obafemi Martins (Inter) or whoever else one may wish to mention. None of those even come close to Yekini's performance in a Nigerian shir

You are 100% wrong.
Yekini cannot clean the boots of Kanu.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

delisyomie don wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:55 pm

YOU MUST BE JOOKING! THOSE DAY IF ANY AFRICA PLAYERS PLAY IN EUROPE ,THOSE DAYS YOU MUST BE 100 PERCENT FOOTBALL,WE TALKING ABOUT 80S OR 90S..BUT NOW EVERY BODY PLAYS IN EUROPE WHETHER YOU GOOD OR NOT AS LONG YOU BETTER THANT WHAT THEY HAVE .

Stop insulting Abedi Pele.
Yekini cannot clean the boots of Abedi Pele.

And stop insulting Sadio Mane or Salah. Yekini is nowhere near them.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Oguleftie wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:44 pm
mastermind wrote:Maybe we need to develop football in all parts of Nigeria and get everybody involved. The best striker or footballer period I've ever seen play live was in my high school in Ibadan. He's an Hausa boy, big strong and imposing. He's the fastest in the school also. He's got an eye for goal, I can ever forget Joga. His parents didn't want him to play football professionally after high school he went to University.

Strikers are no-nonsense people with a killer-mentality and crazy work ethic. Footballer that we are producing today are just like Mikel, water carriers.

Great point. Yekini, in my view, developed into a great striker quite late but he made a WHALE of it after he developed. He became, perhaps, Africa's most FEARED striker! The issue about whether he was World Class or not is besides the point. In my view, quite irrelevant. The point is that he was SPECIAL! No one before him (remove Usiyan) or after him has even been close and I do not care whether that someone played at a supposedly bigger club in Europe or not.

The FACT is that he remains arguably (Take off Usiyan) Nigeria's most dangerous goal scorer ever. That is ahead of Odion Ighalo (Manchester United and all), Nwankwo Kanu (Ajax/Arsenal), Obafemi Martins (Inter) or whoever else one may wish to mention. None of those even come close to Yekini's performance in a Nigerian shir

You are 100% wrong.

They are completely different types of players, but Yekini was definitely more effective in GWG so I'm not sure what you mean by your statements? And going by stats Yekini was also more prolific at club level...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Oguleftie wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:47 pm

I dont know how you can be making such completely subjective statements with such absolute certainty. :rotf:

Even allowing for error, Yekini is light years ahead of both Mane and Pele - whether you are talking of national team goals or club career goals.

Oya, let us see you rubbish the facts below.
It's okay not to say anything, but knowing you, its pretty certain you will dismiss them with a wave of the hand.
Here we go:
Source: Wikiepedia

MANE:
i. Club goals (league only): 144 in 348 appearances;
RATIO: 0.41
ii. National Team (Senegal) goals: 29 in 89 appearances
RATIO: 0.33

ABEDI PELE:
i. Club goals: 157 in 480 appearances;
RATIO: 0.32
ii. National Team (Ghana) goals: 19 in 73 appearances
RATIO: 0.26

YEKINI
i. Club goals: 483 in 673 appearances;
RATIO: 0.72
ii. National Team (Nigeria) goals: 37 in 62 appearances
RATIO: 0.60

You can twist it any way you want, including the line that Abedi "wasn't a striker"....but the gap is so wide, there is NO WAY you can knowledgeably say that Yekini "can't clean Abedi's boots".
So in your esteemed opinion, who can? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:36 pm

You are 100% wrong.

They are completely different types of players, but Yekini was definitely more effective in GWG so I'm not sure what you mean by your statements? And going by stats Yekini was also more prolific at club level...
Please tell him. Not once, or twice...as many times as possible.
You know how young(er) people think the world actually started up the moment mummy and daddy started letting them go out of the house alone. :D
Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg
Re: Why Was Yekini So Special? (Updated wrt Osimhen)

Post by Ezesportsworld »

One Eagles player once told me that Yekini will have 10 scoring chances and score only 2, while Usiyen will have 6 and score 4. Thats the difference
www.ezesportsworld.net

Chesapeake sports Academy
Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg

Post by Ezesportsworld »

One Eagles player once told me that Yekini will have 10 scoring chances and score only 2, while Usiyen will have 6 and score 4. Thats the difference
www.ezesportsworld.net

Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg

Post by Ezesportsworld »

www.ezesportsworld.net

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Ezesportsworld wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:38 pm One Eagles player once told me that Yekini will have 10 scoring chances and score only 2, while Usiyen will have 6 and score 4. Thats the difference
Many have heard that before, but there is nothing to prove or even suggest it.
As far as I am concerned, Usiyen benefits from a limited number of games played for the SE.
Unfortunately, Wiki doesn't list either his appearances or goals scored, but it would be nice to see them if they can be found elsewhere.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

You are 100% wrong.

Was Kanu in the team to score goals?
Was JJ in the team to score goals?
Was Shorumu in the team to score goals?

And by the way, how many goals (chances) did he miss (not score).

And Onyeali was the most proficient in scoring goals for the eagles.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Damunk wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:59 pm
Oguleftie wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:47 pm

I dont know how you can be making such completely subjective statements with such absolute certainty. :rotf:

Even allowing for error, Yekini is light years ahead of both Mane and Pele - whether you are talking of national team goals or club career goals.

Oya, let us see you rubbish the facts below.
It's okay not to say anything, but knowing you, its pretty certain you will dismiss them with a wave of the hand.
Here we go:
Source: Wikiepedia

MANE:
i. Club goals (league only): 144 in 348 appearances;
RATIO: 0.41
ii. National Team (Senegal) goals: 29 in 89 appearances
RATIO: 0.33

ABEDI PELE:
i. Club goals: 157 in 480 appearances;
RATIO: 0.32
ii. National Team (Ghana) goals: 19 in 73 appearances
RATIO: 0.26

YEKINI
i. Club goals: 483 in 673 appearances;
RATIO: 0.72
ii. National Team (Nigeria) goals: 37 in 62 appearances
RATIO: 0.60

You can twist it any way you want, including the line that Abedi "wasn't a striker"....but the gap is so wide, there is NO WAY you can knowledgeably say that Yekini "can't clean Abedi's boots".
So in your esteemed opinion, who can? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Onyeali was the most proficient goal scorer for the eagles; better than any eagle.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Ezesportsworld wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:38 pm One Eagles player once told me that Yekini will have 10 scoring chances and score only 2, while Usiyen will have 6 and score 4. Thats the difference
Don't mind them.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Oguleftie wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:18 pm

Was Kanu in the team to score goals?
Was JJ in the team to score goals?
Was Shorumu in the team to score goals?

And by the way, how many goals (chances) did he miss (not score).

And Onyeali was the most proficient in scoring goals for the eagles.
Yes Kanu was in the team to create and score goals as he was a striker. We are talking about someone who never scored a single goal for SE in how many ANCs. Was actually the one that ‘missed’ a PK vs Cameroon in 2000 final and then refused to take them afterwards. He has a very very poor return for SE even if you factor in assists (which Yekini also provided for others).

I think we need to judge less on stylishness but place more emphasis on effectiveness. You guys say he missed so many chances, but once he left other strikers played with the same set of support cast but none was able to match his scoring clip. At least he was in position to miss and still took his fair share with unmatched consistency…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:48 pm
Many have heard that before, but there is nothing to prove or even suggest it.
As far as I am concerned, Usiyen benefits from a limited number of games played for the SE.
Unfortunately, Wiki doesn't list either his appearances or goals scored, but it would be nice to see them if they can be found elsewhere.
Damunk

The stats do not show that but those of us who were opportune to see those players will confirm that to be true. However, I would add that Yekini's misses occurred largely at the beginning of his career. He was more clinical afterwards. Usiyan, however, was always clinical but was largely an inside the box operator. This is right from his Midwest Academicals days when he was not even a starter earlier on for the Midwest state.

For me what really stands out historically is not what Usiyan, Yekini, or Osimhen did or are doing but the stats for Odegbami. Think about this, Segun, except for AFCON 1980, did not play centrally and yet his per game scoring average is right up there with those who did.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics