Togo turns back plane carrying Nigerian team

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Friday February 11, 06:22 AM

By Dino Mahtani

ABUJA (Reuters) - Togo has refused landing to a plane carrying a Nigerian team sent to help resolve a constitutional crisis, a move that may trigger sanctions against the West African state, a Nigerian spokeswoman says.

The Nigerian delegation was heading to Togo as part of a five-nation team from the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) to communicate its rejection of the installation of Faure Gnassingbe as president in Togo on Saturday.

"The authorities in Togo are frustrating efforts by ECOWAS to resolve the crisis in the country," said Remi Oyo, spokeswoman to Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo, on Friday.

"On Thursday evening the plane carrying the advance team of President Obasanjo was refused landing in Lome," she added, calling the action "unfriendly and hostile".

She said Nigeria has recalled its ambassador to Togo and that Obasanjo -- who is chairman of the African Union -- will now not be joining a delegation of ECOWAS heads of state expected in Togo's capital Lome on Friday.

Gnassingbe was named president of Togo by the army on Saturday hours after his father, Gnassingbe Eyadema, died.

West African leaders called at an emergency meeting on Wednesday the abrupt transfer of power a coup and urged the nation to respect the constitution as it was before it was hastily changed, threatening not to recognise its new government.

They also threatened sanctions if Togo rejected the regional bloc's demands.

"The latest action by Togo authorities might therefore compel the commencement of sanctions," Oyo said.

The appointment of Gnassingbe flouted a constitutional rule stating that the head of the national assembly should take over in the event of the president's death, pending the organisation of presidential elections in 60 days.

In a bid to hush foreign criticism, Togo's parliament changed the law to retroactively legitimise Gnassingbe's nomination, clearing the way for him to rule until 2008.

African presidents, former colonial power France, the European Union and the United Nations have all urged Togo to respect the constitution and let the Togolese people choose their new leader through the ballot box.

The Francophonie, an organisation grouping French-speaking states, suspended Togo on Wednesday for its "repeated violations" of the constitution's provisions. The African Union (AU) has said it could punish Togo with sanctions.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050211/325/fc96m.html
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

ECOWAS intentions maybe right to resovlve issues in Togo, but it's a disgrace on the part of Nigerian president to find himself in this situation. Being denied landing in another country, why not send reps and not heads of states.
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

Why are these African leaders wasting time? Slam sanctions on the country. The Togolese government would crack on economic sanctions. If they are suspended from the CFA Zone and their assets are frozen, the government would go bankrupt. In fact, they should be given a deadline before which ECOWAS launches and invasion and reinstalls the legitimate govt.

At least thank God Nigeria has recalled its ambassador. The Nigerian government has also warned that if any Nigerians in the country are threatened, we would defend our people.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

mcal wrote:ECOWAS intentions maybe right to resovlve issues in Togo, but it's a disgrace on the part of Nigerian president to find himself in this situation. Being denied landing in another country, why not send reps and not heads of states.
The plane carried the President's advance team and not the man himself.
Sampo
Egg
Egg

Post by Sampo »

Is it only me or has anyone else observed that the confrontational attitudes of our African politicians on both sides of any rift often leave no room for saving faces?? The goal often appears to be for the hammer to fall, no matter where or how far the smears splash to. This tells much about the widespread nature of so many deadlocked crises we frequently have to deal with on the continent.

I cannot believe the choice of words employed by Ms. Remi Oyo in this saga, for a presidential spokesperson that she is. Sounds like.. "the hell with goal-oriented diplomacy," doesn't she? At least, that's the subtle message one gets from this and many similar high-handed commentaries from politicians across the continent. Am I to assume that high-level, behind-the-scene diplomatic advances have already been exhausted to no effect, for ECOWAS to plan a public-linen type convocation in Togo? How easy is it going to be for Faure and his parliamentary kingmakers to just back down because Obasanjo and other ECOWAS leaders shout from Aso Rock and their respective presidential mansions?? Remi Oyo must lay it bare. To prove what? Naija might? Togolese foolishness in experimenting in dynasty? As if the whole world couldn't see that already.. Why inflame an ignitible crisis ready to explode? Crisis management at its superb best... yeah! But then we also have to be dealing with picking up the pieces, after some unrestrained comments from the top have blown up what appear to be molehills into mountains of situations for all of us...

In this case, never mind the ongoing 'root of all evils', emanating from Lome; the bigger implications for ECOWAS' structures seem to have been lost on our Nigerian initiatives in our haste to be seen as putting things in order. An inevitable sanction regime on Togo - even if brought upon herself, somehow weakens ECOWAS collective entity. Look no further, take a peek at some of the subregional body's most vital instruments of operations.

So much for 'admirable' international strategies... 8) :roll:
Last edited by Sampo on Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S a m p o
Fly, Eagles! Fly!!!
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

27 wrote:
mcal wrote:ECOWAS intentions maybe right to resovlve issues in Togo, but it's a disgrace on the part of Nigerian president to find himself in this situation. Being denied landing in another country, why not send reps and not heads of states.
The plane carried the President's advance team and not the man himself.
The plane wasn't actually "turned back" according to the Togolese officials. They diverted the flight to Eyadema's home town. That is where the idiots wanted to meet with the governments of West Africa.
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

Sampo wrote:Is it only me or has anyone else observed that the confrontational attitudes of our African politicians on both sides of any rift often leave no room for saving faces?? The goal often appears to be for the hammer to fall, no matter where or how far the smears splash to. This tells much about the widespread nature of so many deadlocked crises we frequently have to deal with on the continent.

I cannot believe the choice of words employed by Ms. Remi Oyo in this saga, for a presidential spokesperson that she is. Sounds like.. "the hell with goal-oriented diplomacy," doesn't she? At least, that's the subtle message one gets from this and many similar high-handed commentaries from politicians across the continent. Am I to assume that high-level, behind-the-scene diplomatic advances have already been exhausted to no effect, for ECOWAS to plan a public-linen type convocation in Togo? How easy is it going to be for Faure and his parliamentary kingmakers to just back down because Obasanjo and other ECOWAS leaders shout from Aso Rock and their respective presidential mansions?? Remi Oyo must lay it bare. To prove what? Naija might? Togolese foolishness in experimenting in dynasty? As if the whole world couldn't see that already.. Why inflame an ignitible crisis ready to explode? Crisis management at its superb best... yeah! But then we also have to be dealing with picking up the pieces, after some unrestrained comments from the top have blown up what appear to be moles into mountains of situations for all of us...

In this case, never mind the ongoing 'root of all evils', emanating from Lome; the bigger implications for ECOWAS' structures seem to have been lost on our Nigerian initiatives in our haste to be seen as putting things in order. An inevitable sanction regime on Togo - even if brought upon herself, somehow weakens ECOWAS collective entity. Look no further, take a peek at some of the subregional body's most vital instruments of operations.

So much for 'admirable' international strategies... 8) :roll:
I disagree. The implications are far reaching for Nigeria to take things likely. We say African leaders are committed to democracy and for this, the world is actually ready to cancel our debt. And now this. If Nigeria doesn't stand up, we might lose the opportunity to get our $32billion debt cancelled.

Also, whatever happens in Togo would serve as a template for future cases should such things ever happen again. If we play goody-goody with this illegitimate government, we would lose any moral justification to fight a simillar case in future. And even going into diplomatic discussions with this administration amounts to giving legitmacy to it.
manplus
Egg
Egg

Post by manplus »

If dem annoy us too much, we go just recall Stephen Keshi home.
That will hit them where it really hurts.
Make dem no find Obas trouble o.
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

manplus wrote:If dem annoy us too much, we go just recall Stephen Keshi home.
That will hit them where it really hurts.
Make dem no find Obas trouble o.
Chei! Don't kill them o! They actually have a shot at the World Cup with Keshi.
Sampo
Egg
Egg

Post by Sampo »

Oba,

I believe majority agree on your views. Neither do I disagree.

I have not implied that Nigeria shouldn't stand up tough in this matter. There are way too many unsolved, face-off crises on the continent though to tread with diplomatic efficiency as one of the aims. That would earn us far greater international respect than to appear looking like a regional bully beast (even with good intentions). Remi Oyo's words defy normal, diplomatic expectation, (regardless of little Togo's undue provocation) suggesting more an incited reaction than composure expected of leadership position. We know Naija certainly has it within her ranges of riches - including every means possible - in the region to achieve the same result we both want in Togo. We can do better than the amateurish approach I see evolving from the onset in this matter now.

IMO, Obasanjo getting caught in this embarassment constitutes a diplomatic mess for Nigeria, when even ordinary lay analysts could preempt it. The scenario leading here prodded a confrontation scene. What I'm saying is that it was not the only possible options. If anything, it IS one of the least plausible routes to pursue for the same goal. We had no business holding that ill-fated conference in Togo, of all possible venues, in the first place. Now add Oyo's comments on top of that misstep.
Last edited by Sampo on Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S a m p o
Fly, Eagles! Fly!!!
Janganza
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Janganza »

Nigeria should tread wisely with this matter for the sake of our nationals living in Togo.
Jinn
Egg
Egg

Post by Jinn »

i read this...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/africa/02 ... index.html

and i couldn't help but laugh...especially @ the end...

"where is George Bush".

why do ppl think america owes them something?
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

Jinn wrote:i read this...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/africa/02 ... index.html

and i couldn't help but laugh...especially @ the end...

"where is George Bush".

why do ppl think america owes them something?
I think it's CNN trying to make America feel wanted in the world. I find it ludicrous that everybody is dancing and mimicking firing machine guns and calling for America's help. This is what I suspect happened:

CNN Reporter: "Hi, my name is Charles and I'm reporting for CNN in America. What do you have to say about the recent political changes in your country?"

Togolese: "Blah, blah, blah".

CNN Reporter: "Do you have any message that you want to put across to the American leadership?"

Togolese: "Bush, Bush, Bush".

lHow come non-American media are not saying the Togolese are calling for Bush's help.

I think CNN (as always) knows what it wants to report and after talking to 20 people and asking well-guided questions, they would get someone to speak their language.

The media always does this. I remember last year, I gave an interview to this Quebec station for close to 1 hour about Nigeria and they asked several questions, many of them cynical. They cut out almost every good thing I had to say and hand picked parts of sentences (not complete sentences) to make my words fit the bloody story they were telling in the show. I was pissed.

Any of those people could have said something like "We want the whole world from the African Union leaders to other world leaders like Bush to intervene and put pressure on Gnassingbe to step down". Knowing American media, they would cut his statement to:

"We want Bush to intervene...." those 3 dots meaning they've cut the sentence.
Jinn
Egg
Egg

Post by Jinn »

i was in naija during the '93 wahala...and we had ppl calling 4 america 2...surely it can't be any different.

u r funny...america likes 2 feel wanted...many times america had actually intervened in any country, they were asked 2.
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

Chei, Togo is in big soup if ECOWAS punish them. Their economy would collapse in a matter of moments. 17% of their exports go to Burkina Faso, 15% to Ghana, 10% to Mali and 8% to Benin... That's 50% of their exports to these 4 countries.

This can hurt their economy big time.

But the thing I would hate about suspending Togo from Ecowas is that it would make it impossible driving directly from Lagos to Accra.
Sampo
Egg
Egg

Post by Sampo »

Oba wrote:Chei, Togo is in big soup if ECOWAS punish them. Their economy would collapse in a matter of moments. 17% of their exports go to Burkina Faso, 15% to Ghana, 10% to Mali and 8% to Benin... That's 50% of their exports to these 4 countries.

This can hurt their economy big time.

But the thing I would hate about suspending Togo from Ecowas is that it would make it impossible driving directly from Lagos to Accra.
You're beginning to break it down from chips to crumbles. 'Cause when the chips are really down, even Togo knows it's got to give in. This is more like what I'm talking about. ECOWAS holds the stick, with Naija more like holding the handle in this our West coast clan chess contest. To keep the regional relations intact, rooms ought to have been made for people to save their own faces by themselves. It helps against all sorts of unforeseen backlash and score highly with regards to diplomatic acumen. I am sure the politicians know this. I just can't get why the need to appear like flexing muscles, because Togo - frankly - is just way too small to take on Nigeria, much less the whole region!

A divided Togo - small as it may be though - isn't necessarily in the best interest of Nigeria and ECOWAS. With so much going for us then, the original question that crossed my mind was why we bothered to even think of stepping into Togo for a parley there, while Faure assumes even a regent status, never mind a dynastic 'king' under the guise of "President."

Naija going there in itself amounted to our diplomatic acquiescence of what is already widely acknowledged to be a coup d'etat; when Eyadema Jnr and his parliamentary-cum-military kingmakers could have been told off by shunning the country altogether. An en-masse _threat_ of withdrawal of envoys by all ECOWAS members alone would hurt more than anything to begin with. I feel, by handing the Eyadema inner-circle cabal the legitimacy of visiting them, we passed too much buck the other way to ourselves, when the onus should be on them. In return, in their manouvre we got ourselves diplomatically 'slapped'.

Everything points to confrontation from that point, as they would hide under 'sovereignty' to put up a semblance of a fightback, even with lives of citizens at risks. It should not be surprising, with back to wall. We should not want all that fuss. Though we could afford it, the cost would leave a bad political scar. The healing process in Liberia and Sierra Leone and the volatile situation in Ivory Coast all mean no one needs another political headache in West Africa. I am waiting for the think tank around Aso Rock to ruminate and find a blemish-free solution out of this diplomatic mess.
S a m p o
Fly, Eagles! Fly!!!
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

I thought it was wrong to sanction or attack a sovereign government as some pot bellied mullah supporters assert.
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
ik15
Egg
Egg

Post by ik15 »

Oba wrote:Why are these African leaders wasting time? Slam sanctions on the country. The Togolese government would crack on economic sanctions. If they are suspended from the CFA Zone and their assets are frozen, the government would go bankrupt. In fact, they should be given a deadline before which ECOWAS launches and invasion and reinstalls the legitimate govt.

At least thank God Nigeria has recalled its ambassador. The Nigerian government has also warned that if any Nigerians in the country are threatened, we would defend our people.
Talking as if Obj was more legitimate than the joker who just got installed by the Togolese army. Imagine nigeria going over there to resolve the "crisis". What an irony,....a case of pot calling kettle black in my opinion.